Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 586 587 [588] 589 590 ... 661

Author Topic: Roller's Block (RTD Brainstorming Thread) (HAPPY LATE BIRTHDAY) (Derm is 5k)  (Read 666366 times)

flabort

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a demilich, despite the 4e and 5e nerfs
    • View Profile

NAME: CROWDED PLANT
FOCUS: Managing and Managing
SUBJECT MATTER: Haunted Ruins, Answers, Totalitarianism
Ooh, yes I like this one.
Uh, thanks for the link but I just see a bunch of html and a download link. How do I use?Edit: Got it working, thanks. :) (Answer: Click download, open with: Firefox)

Edit 2: Got a good one right off the bat.
Code: [Select]
NAME: A FLIMSY SON

FOCUS: Suggestion Game and Story Telling

SUBJECT MATTER: Agriculture, Horror, Werewolves

A game where the protagonist is regected by his father for being weak, and not fit to run their family farm. So he must make his own farm whilst surviving the terrifying night, without being eaten by the wolves or the farm itself, with an emphasis on character growth and shaky relationships with the townfolks, who may or may not be romantically interested or werewolves out for your blood, or both, and are prone to backstab.

And some other interesting ones:
NAME: A THREADBARE FIX

FOCUS: Player VS Player Combat and Business/Trade game

SUBJECT MATTER: Money, Middle East, Ninjas

Rather than start another open war over oil and religion and risk the US stepping in and messing everything up again, some country/government/corporate/religious leaders in the middle east have agreed to fight a shadow war instead, hiring and training and trading elite ninja-like assassins/bodyguards to take out each other silently. Instead of an outright war, the Infidels will die at night. The oil will by yours, not by a show of force, but by an agreed upon right of pseudo-inheritence. OK, sounded better as the generator put it.

NAME: WIRY TIP

FOCUS: Business/Trade game and Business/Trade game

SUBJECT MATTER: Space station, Law, Torture

Somebody tipped off the Space-Sherrif to some dirty dealings here, and he's here to arrest one or more of YOU. Little does he know it's ALL of you've who've been laundering money and spying on the competition. I don't know what you're dealing in on this here station, and frankly as sheriff I don't care, because I found this guy who's had his tongue ripped out and I'm not gonna stand for that anymore; you're gonna have to play it straight, or face my wrath (hint: you're gonna try to get off with as much as you can).

NAME: A TIGHT WALL

FOCUS: Treasure Hunting/Looting

SUBJECT MATTER: Claws, Cubicles, Cannibals

Anarchy reigns in the office, since the boss turned out to be a monster. Fashion yourself a good pair of claws from those office pens, a stapler, or even thumbtacks, and fend off those crazy cannibalistic co-workers as you stalk the halls, climb through and over desks hiding from the boss, make your way out of the office tower, and collect that crazy loot that the cannibals are carrying. Did I mention you've become a cannibal now too?

NAME: QUEST FOR A TRUSTING REPUTATION

FOCUS: Business/Trade game and God Game

SUBJECT MATTER: Apocalypse, Cannibals, Forensic Investigations

This is the end. Science has wrought man into Gods and destroyed all that man sought to build. You only have enough power to rebuild some, and have to barter for more; but the deaths are becoming more frequent, even among the Godly Men, and nobody trusts you anymore. Rebuild the world (but better), restore your reputation, find out who's killing everyone!

(Note: accidentally passed this one, reconstructed from memory)
NAME: THE DIRTY STREETS

FOCUS:  Exploration and Player VS Player Combat

SUBJECT MATTER: Videogames, Tesla Coils, Luchadors

Yeah... I've got nothing, but it sounds AWESOME.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2015, 08:16:05 pm by flabort »
The Cyan Menace

Went away for a while, came back, went away for a while, and back for now.

TCM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Piecewise, that generator is some quality shit.

NAME: THE CLOSED SCALE

FOCUS: Player VS Player Combat

SUBJECT MATTER: Blues, Destruction, DJ-ing
NAME: TALES OF A FAR CHARACTER

FOCUS: Creation/Building and Creation/Building

SUBJECT MATTER: Jets, North Africa, Demonic Magic
NAME: TALES OF A SUBDUED BOX

FOCUS: Player VS Player Combat and Treasure Hunting/Looting

SUBJECT MATTER: Barbarians, Luchadores, Books
NAME: A FINE DARK

FOCUS: Treasure Hunting/Looting

SUBJECT MATTER: Murder, The Northwest US, Trenchcoats
Because trying to stuff Fate/Whatever's engrish and the title of a 17th century book on statecraft into Pokemon syntax tends to make the content incomprehensible.

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Why are we posting generated game ideas, again? Am I missing something?
All fanfics are heresy, each and every one, especially the shipping ones. Those are by far the worst.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile

Why are we posting generated game ideas, again? Am I missing something?

http://www.mediafire.com/view/mw62djb6mvqluna/Game_Idea_Generator.html

Here's something fun for you. Maybe helpful.  It generates ideas for games. I've generated a few ones I like:

NAME: QUEST FOR A WONDERFUL MEAL
FOCUS: Player VS GM/NPC Combat and Treasure Hunting/Looting
SUBJECT MATTER: Utopia, Advertisements, Genies

NAME: QUEST FOR A WELL-GROOMED DRAMA
FOCUS: Basic Survival and Story Telling
SUBJECT MATTER: Hobos, Mental Health, Costumes

NAME: CROWDED PLANT
FOCUS: Managing and Managing
SUBJECT MATTER: Haunted Ruins, Answers, Totalitarianism

NAME: THE FLAMBOYANT POET
FOCUS: Exploration
SUBJECT MATTER: Nanomachines, Steampunk, Motorcycles

NAME: THE GROWLING WINTER
FOCUS: Basic Survival and Story Telling
SUBJECT MATTER: Alternate Universe, Government, Korean War
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I get it, that's what triggered it all. But why are we continuing to post them? Are we planning to do something with them or are we just sharing interesting ideas or maybe something else?
All fanfics are heresy, each and every one, especially the shipping ones. Those are by far the worst.

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably browsing tasteful erotic dolphin photos
    • View Profile

I get it, that's what triggered it all. But why are we continuing to post them? Are we planning to do something with them or are we just sharing interesting ideas or maybe something else?

Well, the purpose of Roller's Block is to post interesting ideas. In all honesty, this is the most on-topic we've been in a long time.
I have a degree in Computer Seance, that means I'm officially qualified to tell you that the problem with your system is that it's possessed by Satan.
---
Q: "Do you have any idea what you're doing?"
A: "No, not particularly."

darkpaladin109

• Bay Watcher
  • has no intention of returning here
    • View Profile

NAME: TALES OF A USED SOCK

FOCUS: Creation/Building

SUBJECT MATTER: Dungeon Building, Drag Queens, Hitchhiking
Quote from: I think it might have misspelled Fighting as Fitting :P
NAME: FITTING CANCER

FOCUS: God Game

SUBJECT MATTER: Luchadores, Owls, Art
NAME: TALES OF A DISASTROUS VILLAGE

FOCUS: Managing

SUBJECT MATTER: Happiness, Repossession, Apocalypse
Not like I'm gonna run anything anytime soon, since I've proven to myself I just can't. Well, maybe something very minimalistic, I have one idea for a revision of my old minimalistic game that I could try out..

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

So, my most recent work on a skills system. Something small enough to be manageable, but large enough to not feel completely claustrophobic. Ended up with my typically three trees system. One tree covers combat skills, one tree covers utility skills, and the final tree covers magic skills. Total number of skills: 32. Each skill is subdivided into three specialties, one of which is selected when the character is bought. Number of specialties: 96. Each specialty can be picked only once, with the partial exception of the weapon proficiency tree. Total number of ability/specialty combinations for a max level character: Well in excess of 1x1015.
Skills increase in cost incrementally as they get farther from the basic abilities. Tier 1 skills cost one skill point, tier 2 skills cost 2 skill points, and so on. Abilities are included within the cost of their parent skill. Some abilities are primarily for use in combat, others are entirely for use outside of combat.

The idea is that skill+specialty choice will define a character as much as their backstory. May not work, but it feels cool.

Anyway, the preliminary trees are below. Skills in bold, specialties in italics. Beware the deadly formatting.

Spoiler: Combat Tree (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Utility Tree (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Magic Tree (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: April 14, 2015, 09:04:40 pm by Draignean »
I have a degree in Computer Seance, that means I'm officially qualified to tell you that the problem with your system is that it's possessed by Satan.
---

Tsuchigumo550

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Artificer
    • View Profile

[...] a simple system for weapons, [...]

I'm really tempted to generate like, a fuckton of weapons, put them in a huge random roller, and hand out weapons Garapon-style.

The main place to get your weapons is the Lotto, which is a bank of 100 weapons of a certain type. Of these hundred:
Twenty of the possibilities suck. You don't want these weapons, they're just below average in every way.
Fifty-five of these possibilities are average. These weapons are okay, you can use them.
Twenty of the possibilities are good. You want these weapons- they're fancy, they're rare, and they do a good job.
Five of the possibilities are Jackpots, and they're something you're going to want to keep.

Weapons will also be given a durability score, which is generally higher for better weapons... but, repair costs also get higher proportionally. Jackpot weapons cannot be restored, as they are hand-crafted.

Specific weapon subtypes will be available in Coin Machines, which only have 25 possibilities. Crude and average weapons here might be the same ones you get from the Lotto, but the rare and uniques are exclusive.
Each Coin Machine may produce any one of:
4 Crude weapons, 15 Average weapons, 5 Rare weapons, and 1 Unique weapon.

Lastly is the only method of getting things for free- Lotto Balls. Each one is a sealed container that requires a key (which means they can't be opened mid-combat, mostly), and each type only holds one of ten weapons (8 commons and 2 rares, likely not exclusive.) Gold Lotto Balls are much rarer, do require a fee to open, but are guaranteed to generate a weapon of high value- 3/5 rare, 2/5 unique.

As for classes, I intend to basically reskin and reuse what's available in Dungeon Fighter Online, except giving an option to mix two classes at the cost of a subclass.

Each class can only pull from one main type of weapon- in return, they gain skills which relate to their class (usually passives, but not always so.)

Since this is a work in progress, I'm currently not even going to bother renaming classes and weapon subtypes they can use:
Slayers are your basic sword-using class. They have access to Greatswords, Bludgeons, Short Swords, Katanas, and Lightsabers.
Fighters are your basic beat-em-ups, using more fist than weapon. They use Gauntlets, Boxing Gloves, Claws, Knuckles, and Tonfas.
Gunners like to shoot at things, not always from a distance. Their arsenal consists of Hand Cannons, Muskets, Revolvers, Bowguns, and Auto Guns.
Mages would require the addition of an MP system if they didn't handwave it away with large pools of mana in the first place. To channel this mana, they use Spears, Poles, Staves, Rods, and Brooms.
Priests are a different take on smashing things, and achieve wins with not only strength, but holy buffs and such. They utilize Battle Axes, Totems, Crosses, Scythes, and Rosaries in combat.

Every class has the option to Subclass, or Specialize. While all Gunners may be able to enchant their bullets to do a little extra damage in general, the Spitfire can actively choose different elements to imbue their shots with, for instance.

Slayers can become Blade Masters, gaining skills to increase the usefulness of their weapon and increase overall prowess, Soul Benders capable of calling forth and sealing demonic powers in their blade, Berserkers who forego the Blade Master's skills for increased brute force output, and Asuras call forth innate magic power and channel it through their swords.

Fighters can choose between becoming a Nen Master, calling forth an energy more natural than mana to perform amazing feats, a well-honed Striker with lightning-fast fists that strike with demolishing power, a Brawler capable of pulling all kinds of dirty tricks to win a fight, or a Grappler who can disarm and disable opponents without weapons and obliterate them with.

Gunners have the option of becoming a Ranger, going from a class best at range to one that can perform at a distance or up-close, a Mechanic capable of using drones to do his dirty work, a Spitfire with just the right bullet for every occasion, or a Launcher who can call down fury untold with their oversized weapons.

Mages can choose between becoming an Elementalist with a wide array of spells to choose from, a Summoner able to call familiars to fight by their side, a Battle Mage toughened up and ready for direct combat augmented with up-close-and-personal spells, or a broom-riding Witch able to cast odd magics unavailable to those without a direct knowledge of magic.

Priests can become Crusaders, focusing on the larger and deadlier weapons in their arsenal to provide the damage while their holy powers handle buffs and protection, a Monk who can forego weapons even in the face of demons, an Exorcist who hones their holy powers into a weapon to clear away any darkness, or an Avenger who steals the evil powers they are now sworn to fight, turning evil to good in many ways.

Advancing from a basic class does not restrict weapon choice, however, certain skills become stronger or gain additional effects when certain weapon subtypes are used. A Ranger using hand cannons would find it hard to use the same speedy, flashy manuvers as he would be able to pull off with a Revolver, but his damage output would skyrocket as a result.

Subclassing is an odd but useful system allowing a character to pull from two base classes. They may choose either Balanced, Unbalanced, or Side-Class, to determine how skills and weapons are picked.

Balanced subclasses pick three weapon subtypes from each of their base classes, and can learn one skill from each class's Advanced options. For the most part, they will have to rely on basic skills and their choice in weapons to survive.

Unbalanced subclasses choose four weapon subtypes and two Advanced skills from a single class (and a single Advancement), and two weapon subtypes from another class (Basic skills from either class can be learned).

Side-Classing does involve two classes, rather, it limits the options of one and introduces skills that could not be otherwise learned by any class. By restricting a base class's weapon options to just two weapon subtypes, they may Side-Class. Side-Classing does NOT prevent Advancement.

I haven't quite decided on what exactly I'll do with Side-Classing's choices yet, but in general, their skills are some degree of useful and/or meta. One may allow skills specifically mentioning one weapon subtype to choose a different subtype, among other such effects. Another may reduce all costs and increase gold obtained at any time, depending on how this is run...

I think I'd never actually run it, but building the engine up would be fun. Maybe I'd be able to do a Lite version, without so many complexities...

EDIT:

Huh, looking at that skill system actually gives me an idea, I could change "can't use weapon" to either 0 or negative proficiency. That would give each class 0.1 in all but one, which gets 0.4, player choice... and Advancing pushes that higher, maybe? I'll need to toy around with it.
There are words that make the booze plant possible. Just not those words.
Alright you two. Attempt to murder each other. Last one standing gets to participate in the next test.
DIRK: Pelvic thrusts will be my exclamation points.

Tsuchigumo550

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Artificer
    • View Profile

Now would be a good time to go in-depth about what one can expect from each weapon subtype. These are generalizations.

Spoiler: Slayer Weapons (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Fighter Weapons (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Gunner Weapons (click to show/hide)
Alright you two. Attempt to murder each other. Last one standing gets to participate in the next test.

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Now would be a good time to go in-depth about what one can expect from each weapon subtype. These are generalizations.

If you're going to run with the 6 part stat system I made, it's a good idea to remember that Wisdom was completely unused as a primary attribute for physical weapons. Using it as a primary attribute for your magical weapons makes a lot of sense.

I'd also like to point out that I've made great strides in reducing complexity, a fact which Tsuch' has made quite clear by showing what my system could have been like if I didn't keep the weapon archetypes abstract. SEE! I'M MAKING PROGRESS, YOU DON'T NEED TO SEND ME TO HARMONY HUT AGAIN! Please...Please...Please...Please...Not again...
---

blazing glory

The main place to get your weapons is the Lotto, which is a bank of 100 weapons of a certain type. Of these hundred:
Twenty of the possibilities suck. You don't want these weapons, they're just below average in every way.
Fifty-five of these possibilities are average. These weapons are okay, you can use them.
Twenty of the possibilities are good. You want these weapons- they're fancy, they're rare, and they do a good job.
Five of the possibilities are Jackpots, and they're something you're going to want to keep.
Would you mind if I used something like this for an RtD I'm rolling up?

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

If you're going to run with the 6 part stat system I made, it's a good idea to remember that Wisdom was completely unused as a primary attribute for physical weapons. Using it as a primary attribute for your magical weapons makes a lot of sense.

I'd also like to point out that I've made great strides in reducing complexity, a fact which Tsuch' has made quite clear by showing what my system could have been like if I didn't keep the weapon archetypes abstract. SEE! I'M MAKING PROGRESS, YOU DON'T NEED TO SEND ME TO HARMONY HUT AGAIN! Please...Please...Please...Please...Not again...
Now I want to know what Harmony Hut is.

Digital Hellhound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

It's where we send you if we wanna beeee with you, makebelieeeve with you, and live in harmony harmony oh loooove.

As you can imagine, the amount of blood - just dreadful.
Russia is simply taking an anti-Fascist stance against European Nazi products, they should be applauded. ¡No parmesan!

Tsuchigumo550

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Artificer
    • View Profile

Would you mind if I used something like this for an RtD I'm rolling up?

Not at all, feel free. Chance-based "quarter machines" in MMOs eat up so much of my money, I figured I'd make an RtD element on in.

And yeah, I'm going to probably redo some of the weapon balances. Each one is either going to focus on one stat and two others as minor elements, focus on two stats with two minors, balance between three stats, balance between four stats, or share equally between two and have 1-2 minors... I'm not 100% sure yet. Some weapons might use lots of different stats in different areas, such as Hand Cannons requiring strength to be accurate but not using it in other calculations.
Pages: 1 ... 586 587 [588] 589 590 ... 661