Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 591 592 [593] 594 595 ... 661

Author Topic: Roller's Block (RTD Brainstorming Thread) (HAPPY LATE BIRTHDAY) (Derm is 5k)  (Read 681072 times)

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile

They look like nice icons that somebody crudely doodled something over. Also, difficult to read. Probably unreadable on your hex grid. Can only see the color with any degree of clarity.

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably browsing tasteful erotic dolphin photos
    • View Profile

I see what you did there, and I'll probably use a radiation configuration to avoid confusion with my triangles.

I made a testing set of overly complex icons, but.... Don't know how well they work out. Here's an example of two.

... Wait...
A flickering light has entered my battered mind...

If I told you that red was for fighters, green was for ranged units, and Blue/Purple/Gold were reserved for the three classes of magic, would the below symbols make sense?

It violates my policy on color mixing, but policies are meant to be violated.

((The alignment is off on some symbols, but that's easily fixed.))

I have a degree in Computer Seance, that means I'm officially qualified to tell you that the problem with your system is that it's possessed by Satan.
---
Q: "Do you have any idea what you're doing?"
A: "No, not particularly."

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Double positing for great justice.

I took the lack of screaming to mean that no one felt the second generation prototypes were completely worthless. I went on and developed the first generations of pretty much complete tokens.

So, Allied non-monster NPCs would get these tokens to indicate their skill set and relative rank.

Hostile non-monster NPCs would get these...

Monsters are pretty much the same, except I can go a little crazy with color combinations.
I have a degree in Computer Seance, that means I'm officially qualified to tell you that the problem with your system is that it's possessed by Satan.
---

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Ninja'd. The icons make absolutely no sense. I have no idea what they are, though they do seem to increase in size and complexity as they "advance".
All fanfics are heresy, each and every one, especially the shipping ones. Those are by far the worst.

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Ninja'd. The icons make absolutely no sense. I have no idea what they are, though they do seem to increase in size and complexity as they "advance".
EDITED: Must have missed that somehow or you edited.

That's really the only thing you're supposed to make sense of. The symbols are abstract, only vaguely relating to their representation. I say what the colors mean, we all agree on what the color means, and then bigger=more likely to kill you.

So, yes, if you saw a linear pattern then the icons made good sense.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2015, 04:29:26 pm by Draignean »
---

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Cool cool.
All fanfics are heresy, each and every one, especially the shipping ones. Those are by far the worst.

FallacyofUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Blatant furry. Also a hypnotist.
    • View Profile

... so that looks decent. By the way, when was the last Evil Mastermind style game done? Because I think I might do a competitive Evil Mastermind rtd... seems like it would be fun...
Generic Arms Race.

Would you like to play a game of Mafia? The subforum is always open to new players.

heydude6

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Anyway so I had an RTD Idea.

So essentially the player plays as a slime and their goal is to be decided (maybe eat as much as possible)

They would have a few classes of slime to choose from (currently 3). Each class obtains and digests food in different ways and once it's fully digested they become bigger and also develop certain abilities (also stats, they have stats as well)

Spoiler: classes (click to show/hide)

So the stats, there are quite a few

Spoiler: stats (click to show/hide)

Final notes: combat will be mostly a chunky salsa system with a few numbers here and there. Also another thing I should talk about is impact. If you are hit by a bludgeoning damage (such as a car crash or fall damage) then your density will temporary decrease based on the extent of the damage and you will be a splatter on a something. You will regain density at a rate determined by your command stat. Since as already mentioned above a low enough density will kill you, this will be how you die to bludgeoning damage, slashing damage will most likely kill you by removing too much mass and size. Also there is a mechanic for falling into a pool of your own element but I will let players discover that fro themselves

So what do you guys think, any confusing wording or questions about mechanics?

Currently my main problems I'm dealing with are stat-scaling, and context (why are you a slime killing random creatures?). Without context a player is deprived of goals. Also more slimes to come (one will be the meat hulk and the other will be the psychic slime)
Lets use the ancient naval art of training war parrots. No one will realize they have been boarded by space war parrots until it is to late!
You can fake being able to run on water. You can't fake looking cool when you break your foot on a door and hit your head on the floor.

ATHATH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I took the lack of screaming to mean that no one felt the second generation prototypes were completely worthless. I went on and developed the first generations of pretty much complete tokens.

So, Allied non-monster NPCs would get these tokens to indicate their skill set and relative rank.

Monsters are pretty much the same, except I can go a little crazy with color combinations.
Those make sense to me. Color=Class, and Size of Symbol is Power. What happens when the players or enemies get so strong that they fill up the token?
Seriously, ATHATH, we need to have an intervention about your death mug problem.
*slow clap* Well ATHATH congratulations. You managed to give the MC a mental breakdown before we even finished the first arc.
I didn't even read it first, I just saw it was ATHATH and noped it. Now that I read it x3 to noping

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Those make sense to me. Color=Class, and Size of Symbol is Power. What happens when the players or enemies get so strong that they fill up the token?

Well, players will get their own selection of unique symbols and run with one symbol throughout their career. For enemies... The gap between symbols is a pretty big one, and it widens the further you go down. There's probably 4 between the first and second, 6 between second and third, 8 between third and fourth, and 10 between fourth and fifth. So it'll take a while to overflow. Better, I can mix color/symbols to indicate high level mixed class characters.

The players start with just below the minimum threshold to get the third rank in anything, so the enemies they face will be on a similar playing field.
---

AoshimaMichio

• Bay Watcher
  • Space Accountant
    • View Profile

Last five icons in third row are basically identical, I can't tell any meaningfull difference.
Row 3, columns 3 and 4 light blue icons: these need a bit more difference. If seen separately, it's hard to tell which one it is. Mostly because of background color. But I think [3,3] needs scale down complexity anyway.
I told you to test with colors! But nooo, you just had to go clone mega-Satan or whatever.
Old sigs.
Games.

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Last five icons in third row are basically identical, I can't tell any meaningfull difference.
Row 3, columns 3 and 4 light blue icons: these need a bit more difference. If seen separately, it's hard to tell which one it is. Mostly because of background color. But I think [3,3] needs scale down complexity anyway.

Well, there isn't any meaningful difference in the last five. The last five are blanks put in so the set maintains symmetry- and to show off how cool the bases are, of course. I'll probably end up deepening the blue on (3,1:4) so it stands out against the ally highlighting. I'll look into changing their symbol set if that doesn't make things more clear.

---

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile

Quite a nice job on those icons. They're not hideous at all!

FallacyofUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Blatant furry. Also a hypnotist.
    • View Profile

They look nice... it would work. Anyway, I think I might get started on the Evil Mastermind thing...
Generic Arms Race.

Would you like to play a game of Mafia? The subforum is always open to new players.

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

They look nice... it would work. Anyway, I think I might get started on the Evil Mastermind thing...
Please read Evil Overlord so you know what not to do. Enforce the idea that we are definitely, absolutely evil, rather than commit genocide and then somehow try to come off as being the oppressed guy.
Pages: 1 ... 591 592 [593] 594 595 ... 661