Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 631 632 [633] 634 635 ... 661

Author Topic: Roller's Block (RTD Brainstorming Thread) (HAPPY LATE BIRTHDAY) (Derm is 5k)  (Read 678075 times)

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile

Hmm... was I in that one? With randomly-generated space whales? I vaguely remember being sad that it didn't last more than a couple of turns or so.   
Sounds very interesting either way!
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Person

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

You were indeed in that. You had 0 agility so you had to pilot your suit to get around, if that helps you remember.
Please don't let textbooks invade Bay12.
The Conquistadors only have the faintest idea of what the modern world is like when they are greeted by two hostile WWI Veterans riding on a giant potato; Welcome to 2016.

Person

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Please don't let textbooks invade Bay12.
The Conquistadors only have the faintest idea of what the modern world is like when they are greeted by two hostile WWI Veterans riding on a giant potato; Welcome to 2016.

Tomasque

• Bay Watcher
  • Gonna one-up FoU - with an FG in my personal text!
    • View Profile

I know this is non-sequitur, but do you guys know a good mechanic for a ftl-style forum game where one player is the crew, and one player is the merciless void of space? Sounds really random, but I've been inspired to make something like this (and run it, later), but all I can think of is a few specifics, and I need something a bit more "core mechanic-y" that I can build off of.
The quantum cannonball hits you in the face and misses!
Money!
GENERATION grisha5: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Whisperling

• Bay Watcher
  • Indefinite.
    • View Profile

I know this is non-sequitur, but do you guys know a good mechanic for a ftl-style forum game where one player is the crew, and one player is the merciless void of space? Sounds really random, but I've been inspired to make something like this (and run it, later), but all I can think of is a few specifics, and I need something a bit more "core mechanic-y" that I can build off of.

Kinda depends on what you want "the merciless void of space" to do. Do they control encounters, manipulate planets and asteroids, I don't know, try and break into the ship? Mechanics and stuff will definitely come, but that second player's role is important, and seems to be left pretty vague judging by what you've posted here.

Tomasque

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

-They would control "the enemy" in hostile encounters.
 -Also, they could influence Luck-related random rolls: Wandering (space) monster or spaceship, the location of a random meteor hit or ship malfunction, and attributes of a star system or planet (and the more it was scanned, the less they can influence it).
 -Lastly, they would have an immediate "surprise encounter" they could use once per game, at any time.
Money!
GENERATION grisha5: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Tomasque

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Only once per game?
Yeah, but it can happen anytime, and they get to choose what it is (but it has to be something that has been encountered that game).
Money!

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
  • You know me. What do I know?
    • View Profile

Basically, want to know if a skill system makes sense.

Spoiler: textdump (click to show/hide)

Any comments?
One wheel short of a wagon

ATHATH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I think you need more stats. 2 pairs seems to not be enough.
Seriously, ATHATH, we need to have an intervention about your death mug problem.
*slow clap* Well ATHATH congratulations. You managed to give the MC a mental breakdown before we even finished the first arc.
I didn't even read it first, I just saw it was ATHATH and noped it. Now that I read it x3 to noping

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
  • Not to be confused with infinity
    • View Profile

Invites too much minmaxing. Players can just dump all their points into one stat at the expense of the other and make a character that doesn't really need the other stat anyway.
Have I now become your enemy by telling you the truth? (Gal 4:16)

Tomasque

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

It seems to be based off the idea of a Good/Evil + Lawful/Chaotic alignment system. Is that true?

Anyway, I like the idea of pairs, but Nobility and Discipline seem too alike, and even the names kind of add to that. In addition, I think that a third pair - or perhaps this time a trio - should be added. In fact, if you really want to go off-the-rails here, you could have it be a duo, a trio, and a quartet!
Money!

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
  • You know me. What do I know?
    • View Profile

It seems to be based off the idea of a Good/Evil + Lawful/Chaotic alignment system. Is that true?

Anyway, I like the idea of pairs, but Nobility and Discipline seem too alike, and even the names kind of add to that. In addition, I think that a third pair - or perhaps this time a trio - should be added. In fact, if you really want to go off-the-rails here, you could have it be a duo, a trio, and a quartet!
I think you need more stats. 2 pairs seems to not be enough.
Will definitely consider adding more stats. Get what you mean about the nobility/discipline thing, perhaps making discipline just about self-control and endurance might be better.

Not sure how a trio would work...

Not based off good/evil so much as tropes.

Invites too much minmaxing. Players can just dump all their points into one stat at the expense of the other and make a character that doesn't really need the other stat anyway.
Minmaxing will get you... -1/3 and -2/3.
Sheesh, yeah, that's pretty bad. May have to remove bonus statpoints entirely, or just have 1... or perhaps penalise low stats heavily.
One wheel short of a wagon

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
  • Not to be confused with infinity
    • View Profile

You could add a system that's only positive, or only allows a maximum of +1/-1 per category with a broad number of categories.

I learned my lesson with my most recent game. >.<
Have I now become your enemy by telling you the truth? (Gal 4:16)

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
Re: Roller's Block (RTD Brainstorming Thread) (HAPPY LATE BIRTHDAY) (Derm is 5k)
« Reply #9493 on: September 04, 2016, 06:33:34 am »

I wanna play a biker gang RTD. :( Why aren't there any of those getting around?

Because none of us have read enough early Hunter S. Thompson, obviously, so nobody's qualified.

I don't know enough about motorcycles. Or biker gangs. Or the US, for that matter.
The biker gangs in my country tend to be pretty pissweak these days.

Only one answer, then - supernatural biker gangs in a high fantasy setting. Elves with chains and cannibalistic initiation rituals, and a massive love for smoking opium in whatever tree they camp out in that night. Human merchants living in fear of what rides out in the night. Sort of like the Wild Hunt, in a way.

Come to think of it, the Wild Hunt is basically a supernatural biker gang. It all fits!
Ya know, I'm thinking of actually making this as my first proper RTD in a long time, instead of the generic kung-fu adventure I'd been planning.
Could be fun? Would anyone be interested in playing such a thing? I still need to finish updating a couple of my minimalists first, but I think an elvish biker gang would be something inspiring enough to keep me updating it.
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
Re: Roller's Block (RTD Brainstorming Thread) (HAPPY LATE BIRTHDAY) (Derm is 5k)
« Reply #9494 on: September 04, 2016, 11:36:59 am »

@Yoink:That would be cooooooool.
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.
Pages: 1 ... 631 632 [633] 634 635 ... 661