Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 658 659 [660] 661

Author Topic: Roller's Block (RTD Brainstorming Thread) (HAPPY LATE BIRTHDAY) (Derm is 5k)  (Read 666622 times)

Eschar

• Bay Watcher
  • hello
    • View Profile

All the RTD's I've started have fizzled out relatively quickly. All those I've joined have too.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Perhaps I'll
    • View Profile

we uh, lack certain qualities of reliability
Down at the bottom of the ocean. Beneath tons of brine which would crush you down. Not into broken and splintered flesh, but into thin soup. Into just more of the sea water. Where things live that aren't so different from you, but you will never live to touch them and they will never live to touch you.

Eschar

• Bay Watcher
  • hello
    • View Profile

As far as the ones I've run, it was more a function of me having no experience at all running an RTD, and also not planning out the non-minimalistic one (Assemblage) at all.

Tyrant Leviathan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Hmmm. Brain storming for Dungeon Crisis as I have neglected it. Also felt like reviving one of my older games.

Pangaea: Community Sim fantasy  Conan style with freakken tammable dinosaurs and stuff.

Orbiter: A sequel, and a reboot. Onboard a floating mini planet orbiting a alien world, what do you do? This time everyone in one tribe just doing their part as I am npc stuff.

Under The Surface: Made new creepy monster notes and more dungeon situations, plus above world stuff. Sadly felt it was too complex but willing to die down.

Green Hell: Squad RTD in space. Kinda like outer space Vietnam deal. Humans hired by aliens to assist in taking a valuable green planet, but it’s a whole lot of trouble ( and due to theme, PCs can die like crazy.)

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you TamerVirus for the avatar switcher
    • View Profile

Pangaea: Community Sim fantasy  Conan style with freakken tammable dinosaurs and stuff.
This sounds cool, I think an evolution game taking place here would be cool too

Tyrant Leviathan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

This sounds cool, I think an evolution game taking place here would be cool too

I had a old old game called The Dirty Legion on another forum. There everyone were basically custom/evolving mutant soldiers/commandos.

Lost notes though, could easily resurrect.

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you TamerVirus for the avatar switcher
    • View Profile

I was thinking like species of animals/plants, evolving different traits

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I had a old old game called The Dirty Legion on another forum. There everyone were basically custom/evolving mutant soldiers/commandos.

Lost notes though, could easily resurrect.
A game with constantly evolving mutant soldiers sounds cool.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

Tyrant Leviathan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Hmm was thinking of renaming it Monster Corp. also that or Pangaea? As in Pangaea have magic, Dino’s, fantasy races, marriage stuff, people management, and well yeah the goal is to take a binadic tribe to establish a city that becomes a city.

There are 4 bug threats depending on which part of Pangaea your at in regards to the civilization out to try to conquer or rule you too.

Tyrant Leviathan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Big not bug and yeah just got a ton of stuff in general. Like the prototype of Orbiter that was a Nad Max Earth. 2 styles.

Traveling nomads or people on a travel long battle fortress, looking for a new home ( nite the theme yet?) in one it could also lead to finding a new religion and stuff.

Tyrant Leviathan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

My largest scale stuff are my fictional we2 situation with tech tree and a project I am still working on.

It’s basically the Dune universe with other sci fi influences and things, as a game.

FallacyofUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Blatant furry. Also a hypnotist.
    • View Profile
Re: Roller's Block (RTD Brainstorming Thread) (HAPPY LATE BIRTHDAY) (Derm is 5k)
« Reply #9896 on: January 22, 2024, 08:46:30 pm »

I'm aware the thread's been dead for a while, but it's also the best suited for me to use for the pitch I'm making.

Stats Are Dead, Long Live Praxis

Somewhere around trying to envision another set of stats for yet another RTD, I decided to try and design an alternative system, as a theoretical exercise.

A Praxis is a set of several linked concepts attached to a die. The Praxis also has a number of uses, as well as a level, and potentially even other effects.

An example would be...

Endure The Pain LV 1: (3 Uses)
Roll Endure The Pain when attempting to act while injured, push through harmful terrain, or (reflexive) survive a devastating physical attack.
(1, 2, 4, 4, 5, 6)
On 6: Negate all Wound penalties for 1 Turn.

Endure The Pain LV 2: (4 Uses)
Roll Endure The Pain when attempting to act while injured, push through harmful or difficult terrain, or (reflexive) survive a significant physical attack.
(1, 3, 4, 5, 5, 6)
On 5 or 6: Negate all Wound penalties for 2 Turns.

Endure The Pain LV 3: (5 Uses)
Roll Endure The Pain when attempting to act while injured, push through harmful or difficult terrain, or (reflexive) endure any physical attack.
(2, 4, 4, 5, 5, 6)
On 5 or 6: Negate all Wound penalties for 2 Turns, and remove your worst Wound.

Instead of having several stats, each player collects a set of Praxis, adding new ones or upgrading old ones as their character grows. In the event that a character has no applicable Praxis, or wishes to preserve uses, they can roll Unskilled Improvisation LVL N/A, which has infinite uses, but uses a basic (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6) die and has no bonuses.

Praxis are recharged when an applicable rest period occurs, or on specific other triggers (a full moon! landing a critical blow in combat!, etc).

While I like the mechanics benefit of this method, I do think there's a cost in bookkeeping to be had - you can make each player keep track of their own Praxis, but you'll still have to develop the Praxis you want to be available for your game, or add new ones on the fly, which has the risk of being unbalanced, especially in a competitive game. Additionally, players will have to decide in advance which Praxis they want to use reflexively, to deal with unexpected situations.

There's other potentials, such as using multiple Praxis in one action, Praxis that can be used to retroactively reroll the failures of another Praxis (Mitigate Disaster LV 1?), but all of this comes at a pretty high complexity cost.

Maybe that's why people just use stats.

What do you all think?
Generic Arms Race.

Would you like to play a game of Mafia? The subforum is always open to new players.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Perhaps I'll
    • View Profile
Re: Roller's Block (RTD Brainstorming Thread) (HAPPY LATE BIRTHDAY) (Derm is 5k)
« Reply #9897 on: January 22, 2024, 09:24:22 pm »

Seems too esoteric, like what does this system represent which stats don't suffice for? The limited uses? Then use a stamina meter or something.

There's mechanical complexity, but is that desired or does it just distract from the core fantasy of the RP? Since this isn't a standard system, you're also paying for the players having to learn and understand it, and their actions become more "use x mechanic on y object" rather than being a description of what a character does in a situation.
Down at the bottom of the ocean. Beneath tons of brine which would crush you down. Not into broken and splintered flesh, but into thin soup. Into just more of the sea water. Where things live that aren't so different from you, but you will never live to touch them and they will never live to touch you.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Perhaps I'll
    • View Profile
« Reply #9898 on: January 22, 2024, 09:40:57 pm »

How does the initiative system in Gate of Dreams work for you, fal? I was thinking I might want one, figuring out what order things happen in purely narratively is difficult for me.

FallacyofUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Blatant furry. Also a hypnotist.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9899 on: January 22, 2024, 09:52:48 pm »

How does the initiative system in Gate of Dreams work for you, fal? I was thinking I might want one, figuring out what order things happen in purely narratively is difficult for me.

At the start of each turn, each actor gets a 1d100 roll, plus/minus any bonuses or penalties. The result basically represents how much the actor is taking advantage of the current situation.

The actions are taken in order from the highest roll to the lowest at baseline, with a few extra notes:
-Things that take time to resolve or occur effectively move action resolution down by some number. A minor delay would be 20 points, a significant one by 40 points, and an immense one by 80 points.
-Rolling a natural 100 gives the actor a significant boon in the turn. Rolling a natural 1 ensures things work out in the worst possible way for the actor.
-For every 40 points in difference between one actor and another, a modifier of +- 1 is made to the first applicable RTD roll, for example increasing accuracy.

(This can chain a bit, because for every difference of 3 in a contested roll, I apply another +- 1 modifier to an appropriate subsequent roll, so a high accuracy roll against a low evasion roll can make a Resistance roll weaker.)

These combined rules are very good at breaking stalemates when combined with a wounds system.
Generic Arms Race.

Would you like to play a game of Mafia? The subforum is always open to new players.
Pages: 1 ... 658 659 [660] 661