Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 661

Author Topic: Roller's Block (RTD Brainstorming Thread) (HAPPY LATE BIRTHDAY) (Derm is 5k)  (Read 666375 times)

ExKirby

• Bay Watcher
  • A Jump On The Daily Comic Bandwagon.
    • View Profile
    • ExKirby's Generic Randomness

So, some of us want to run RTDs, but can't get any good ideas. Others have ideas, but can't be bothered to host. So, why not let the players inspire the GMs and get some games rolling? That's the idea, anyway.

So basically, this thread is for ideas collaberation, working together to come up with themes and plots for RTDs. Anything goes, but if you take an idea from here, you have to credit the thread.

To get the ball rolling, I think a Homestuck-esque game would be pretty entertaining. Having a load of players run around avoiding meteors and killing imps sounds like a fun game. Sound good?

EDIT: We have an IRC channel which I was informed about earlier today at http://webchat.freenode.net/ #bay12rtd

Also, HAPPY LATE BIRTHDAY

The present is this OP update

We already have a unified system. It's just the basic D6.

What you're all doing is extending it. There's no need to really make a standard when there already is one and people just modify it anyway to suit their needs.

5k get
« Last Edit: April 14, 2013, 05:23:42 pm by ExKirby »
Derm would be a Half-Minute Hero boss. YOU HAVE 30 SECONDS TO FUCK HIM UP OR HE DOES IT TO THE ENTIRE WORLD!

Dermonster

• Bay Watcher
  • Break the world, see what falls out.
    • View Profile
Re: Roller's Block (RTD Brainstorming Thread)
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2011, 03:49:54 pm »

I'd play a SBURB RTD so fast I'd post in the thread before the threadmaker.
I can do anything I want, as long as I accept the consequences.
"Y'know, my favorite thing about being a hero is that it gives you all kinds of narrative justification to just slay any ol' jerk who gets in the way - Black Mage.
"The bulk of [Derm]'s atrocities seem to stem from him doing things that [Magic] doesn't actually do." - TvTropes
"Dammit Derm!" - You, if I'm doing it right.
Moved to SufficientVelocity / Spacebattles.

ExKirby

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2011, 03:54:53 pm »

Heh, I could actually see it now... one player is trying to wrestle a pair of cruxite dowles frome a Shale Ogre, while another is mashing Tar Imps with his Spring-Loaded Catalyst Hammer. Beautiful =')
Derm would be a Half-Minute Hero boss. YOU HAVE 30 SECONDS TO FUCK HIM UP OR HE DOES IT TO THE ENTIRE WORLD!

Dermonster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2011, 03:57:05 pm »

If anyone makes that I call Time player.
"Y'know, my favorite thing about being a hero is that it gives you all kinds of narrative justification to just slay any ol' jerk who gets in the way - Black Mage.
"The bulk of [Derm]'s atrocities seem to stem from him doing things that [Magic] doesn't actually do." - TvTropes

Bdthemag

• Bay Watcher
  • Die Wacht am Rhein
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2011, 04:04:16 pm »

I always have alot of RTD ideas.

-Internet Themed
-Bay12 vs. the evil clone of the forum Lake6

I would also join a SBURB Rtd faster then the speed of light.
Well, you do have a busy life, what with keeping tabs on wild, rough-and-tumble forum members while sorting out the drama between your twenty two inner lesbians.
Your drunk posts continue to baffle me.
Welcome to Reality.

Dermonster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2011, 04:08:27 pm »

I had one a while back, it had a bunch of stuff in it. Basically there were 8 elementally themed countries, all with some sort of problem. Magic existed, bluh bluh, the driving force behind protagonists would be them accidentally breaking [REDACTED] inside of a cave near town, initiating the incoming apocalypse or whatever, and they had to get all 8 maguffins, travel to the light realm, fend off an assault from the big bad, and then head to the Dark realm and kill him.

ExKirby

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2011, 04:14:19 pm »

Back to the speed of joining thing...

Thread > Posts
Dermonster's Post > Thread
However, Derm's post must fall off the face of the planet, because no thread exists, so
Derm's Post =/=Post
Also,
Bd's posting speed = Light Speed
Internet Speed < Light Speed
Bd's posting speed = Internet sped
∴ Bd's posting speed =/= Lightspeed
ExKirby = Confused

Dermonster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2011, 04:17:13 pm »

Well you wouldn't notice the difference, anyway.

ExKirby

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2011, 04:20:50 pm »

I just had an idea so fucked that it has to be done. Basically, we roll up the backstories of all the epic RTDs, and create a world from it. And then we RTD while rumbling through worlds.

Bdthemag

• Bay Watcher
  • Die Wacht am Rhein
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2011, 04:21:47 pm »

I just had an idea so fucked that it has to be done. Basically, we roll up the backstories of all the epic RTDs, and create a world from it. And then we RTD while rumbling through worlds.
Thats fucked up enough to work.
Better involve my Rtd....
Well, you do have a busy life, what with keeping tabs on wild, rough-and-tumble forum members while sorting out the drama between your twenty two inner lesbians.
Your drunk posts continue to baffle me.
Welcome to Reality.

Dermonster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2011, 04:22:45 pm »

I'd play it. Call it...

RTD RTD, Self insert adventure!

ExKirby

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2011, 04:38:49 pm »

Heh, yeah, and have the Fugly Duckling from ArrrrrrTD randomply appear on the city in Mad Scientist's. Pirates versus Robots... we need to find some ninjas and cowboys.

Dermonster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 29, 2011, 04:40:12 pm »

DOnt forget zombies and jesus.

ExKirby

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 29, 2011, 04:43:58 pm »

You mean Raptor Jesus, right?

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 29, 2011, 04:44:35 pm »

I've got a buttload of RTDs I've been planning to do (eight. Yes, eight.) but I usually get stuck in various places. Like, say, how much free will should I give to the player or how little I should give. What setting should I do? Should I base this on a already existing video game? Has this genre been used too much? Would this be too hard to GM? Why should I GM? What should the story be? Often, I get stuck and never come back to the RTD, or I keep coming back but never make any progress.

Here's one of the things I'm currently torn up on. Should I do a futuristic RTD (like all my other ones I've done before), or should I do a fantasy RTD? On one hand, I like Science Fiction. On the other hand, fantasy RTDs usually last longer and they aren't limited by logical barriers (Sci-Fi doesn't fit well with logical barrier breaking in my opinion). I don't plan on compromising between the two because two vastly different universes clashing will only end in tears. Sure, steampunk works in games many times, but that's because the two universes (medieval and ~WW1) aren't that far from each-other.

Another problem is: I don't know how much complexity people are willing to have/read. I usually get so carried away that most of the text on the game is about complexity and when I stop I realize that I don't think I'll be able to do that much complexity and neither will the players. On the other hand, if I cut down I feel like I'm simplifying the game too much.

And one, final problem that usually hurts me the most is, why should I make an RTD? I want to do stuff my own way, but I get more fun out of making the actions instead of making the results. And I'm dubious on if I should make a character for myself in my own RTD because I'm worried about being biased.
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 661