Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 661

Author Topic: Roller's Block (RTD Brainstorming Thread) (HAPPY LATE BIRTHDAY) (Derm is 5k)  (Read 666456 times)

Dermonster

• Bay Watcher
  • Break the world, see what falls out.
    • View Profile
Re: Roller's Block (RTD Brainstorming Thread)
« Reply #15 on: March 29, 2011, 04:50:08 pm »

From a strictly players point of view, I enjoy fantasy RTD's the most, as I have excessive ammounts of ways to interpret 'magic'. In Futuristic ones, its mostly just repeating 'point and shoot'. Mad scientist RTD was a different case. I also highly enjoy being the main lead in the story, such as in Trope RTD or GeneRTD, but those died out, because I am an avid reader, trope fan, and I have an above average imagination. I could probably come up with a good few speeches and dialogue scenes, but rarely do I have the chance to do so. GeneRTD was a really good one, I got to write whole paragraphs.

I also enjoy viciously poking logic holes into peoples plans, if I can find any.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2011, 04:52:05 pm by dermonster »
I can do anything I want, as long as I accept the consequences.
"Y'know, my favorite thing about being a hero is that it gives you all kinds of narrative justification to just slay any ol' jerk who gets in the way - Black Mage.
"The bulk of [Derm]'s atrocities seem to stem from him doing things that [Magic] doesn't actually do." - TvTropes
"Dammit Derm!" - You, if I'm doing it right.
Moved to SufficientVelocity / Spacebattles.

Bdthemag

• Bay Watcher
  • Die Wacht am Rhein
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 29, 2011, 04:52:32 pm »

I personally think the simpler the better, i've seen quite a few numbers of rtd's because they have to complex rules. I try to make the turns short and sweet so im more willing to do one in more day.
Well, you do have a busy life, what with keeping tabs on wild, rough-and-tumble forum members while sorting out the drama between your twenty two inner lesbians.
Your drunk posts continue to baffle me.
Welcome to Reality.

ExKirby

• Bay Watcher
  • A Jump On The Daily Comic Bandwagon.
    • View Profile
    • ExKirby's Generic Randomness
« Reply #17 on: March 29, 2011, 04:56:30 pm »

I personally prefer Steampunk or Sci-Fi settings, because logical boundaries can be stepped over by creating some kind of machine built to step over logical boundaries. Plus, pew pew lasers and steampunk gears <3
Derm would be a Half-Minute Hero boss. YOU HAVE 30 SECONDS TO FUCK HIM UP OR HE DOES IT TO THE ENTIRE WORLD!

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 29, 2011, 05:26:19 pm »

From a strictly players point of view, I enjoy fantasy RTD's the most, as I have excessive ammounts of ways to interpret 'magic'. In Futuristic ones, its mostly just repeating 'point and shoot'.
Hmmm, good point.

I also highly enjoy being the main lead in the story, such as in Trope RTD or GeneRTD, but those died out, because I am an avid reader, trope fan, and I have an above average imagination. I could probably come up with a good few speeches and dialogue scenes, but rarely do I have the chance to do so. GeneRTD was a really good one, I got to write whole paragraphs.
Well, if people want to be the leader, I think I'll have them fight each-other TO THE DEATH for it. There can only be one. :P

I personally think the simpler the better, i've seen quite a few numbers of rtd's because they have to complex rules. I try to make the turns short and sweet so im more willing to do one in more day.
Here's the problem, though: If RTDs are too simple (just the 6 sided die), then it feels too... how shall I say it... "Flat" to me.

However, on the flip side, if they're too complex, my brain usually shuts off and exits.

I personally prefer Steampunk or Sci-Fi settings, because logical boundaries can be stepped over by creating some kind of machine built to step over logical boundaries. Plus, pew pew lasers and steampunk gears <3
Don't forget mini-nukes, plasma weapons, insanely fast miniguns, particle beams, shields, insane AIs... yeah.

Mmmmh, I think I'll go with fantasy.

Now, I still need to figure out complexity. I'll work on that.

A few more questions:

How do I make bows an actual equal alternative to ranged magic? Because in most games, bows are completely ignored, which I don't like.

Should I allow the players completely choose what they have in the beginning or should I make, say, a starting amount of money for each player and make a store?

How much attention should be paid to the environment? As in, should I memorize each place the players visit, should I just remember the important parts, or should I make it so they'll never get to a place they've been before? Because trying to find my posts about each area isn't exactly on my mind as ideal.
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

Dermonster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 29, 2011, 05:33:33 pm »

For bows, it doesn't matter. It's what you do with the arrows. Exploding, fire, acid, generates a huge mound of dirt where shot, places a source of light, get creative. Although I suppose a bow that generated it's own ammo made of the physical manifestation of [element] would be nice.

I'd say leave them all starkers a'la Multiworld madness. If they want to do something, let em try. No starting bonuses, but let em have easy access to starter materials.

And from prior experience, people are much more likely to burn shit to the ground than examine it, so pay attention to the important stuff only. Protip: If the payers likely won't care, neither should you.

Thats not to say everything should be bland though. I like a good scenery description as much as anyone else.
"Y'know, my favorite thing about being a hero is that it gives you all kinds of narrative justification to just slay any ol' jerk who gets in the way - Black Mage.
"The bulk of [Derm]'s atrocities seem to stem from him doing things that [Magic] doesn't actually do." - TvTropes

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably browsing tasteful erotic dolphin photos
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 29, 2011, 05:41:46 pm »

From a strictly players point of view, I enjoy fantasy RTD's the most, as I have excessive ammounts of ways to interpret 'magic'. In Futuristic ones, its mostly just repeating 'point and shoot'.
Hmmm, good point.

Noticing that myself with my current major RTD, kinda want to just make the opponents brain explode just so I can write something more interesting.

...because logical boundaries can be stepped over by creating some kind of machine built to step over logical boundaries...

This. There is nothing more fun than spending some time designing some piece of non-existent tech to beat the shit out of Einstein and/or God. (I mean that in a very reverent and caring way, to Einstein at least.) Space engines aren't fun, so you leave that up to the player, and a lot of little stuff you don't want to hang over too long so you leave that mostly to the player and drop a few Sci-Fi buzzwords (Dilating doors, pads, etc). It's when you decide to find a way to tell physics to cram it that it gets fun, making a device that you really have no clue how it works but the best theory is that it accelerates everything else but it in the universe to light speed simultaneously and thus massively dilates time was a blast. Organic machines with multiple brains each designed to fulfill a single function of our brains. Sci-Fi is endless fun, because it's a magic trick. It doesn't have to be real, you just have to show people one angle of how it might be real and let the audience to take over.

Myself, if I had nothing better to do I would have five or ten RTDs running. As it is the control is nice, lets the fresher ideas ferment before they get sent out into the world like nymphs and get fucked with. They call it Incompetence, I call it quality control. Tomato, Tomahto.
I have a degree in Computer Seance, that means I'm officially qualified to tell you that the problem with your system is that it's possessed by Satan.
---
Q: "Do you have any idea what you're doing?"
A: "No, not particularly."

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 29, 2011, 05:56:33 pm »

I've got a buttload of RTDs I've been planning to do (eight. Yes, eight.) but I usually get stuck in various places.
Heheh, I find this easy to believe. There's just so many good ideas out there. :P

I don't plan on compromising between the two because two vastly different universes clashing will only end in tears.
Well, you could always throw in space wizards. Starcraft manages to have melee combat, space wizards, and ancient ruins and artifacts, for instance, while Star Wars is pretty much known for its sword-wielding wizards in space. Anime also does this sort of stuff reasonably frequently.

Another problem is: I don't know how much complexity people are willing to have/read. I usually get so carried away that most of the text on the game is about complexity and when I stop I realize that I don't think I'll be able to do that much complexity and neither will the players. On the other hand, if I cut down I feel like I'm simplifying the game too much.
Indeed. As a player, I tend to not like very much flavor text; at some point it just becomes a bother to read. In terms of mechanical complexity, I'm much more forgiving, but I'm not sure how others feel. It certainly turns "ooh I might join this" to "okay, so melee combat works like this... which means if I use an axe while stacking health... hmmm, upkeep seems a bit odd, I wonder if...?", which presumably means sometimes I don't join after all.

As a GM, I tend to be stuck with a struggle between making it manageable and making the game do what I want. This is particularly exacerbated using a d6, because any straight-up arithmetic has a massive effect; someone who rolls 1d6+2 for dodge is nigh-unhittable against someone who rolls 1d6 to hit, for instance.

And one, final problem that usually hurts me the most is, why should I make an RTD? I want to do stuff my own way, but I get more fun out of making the actions instead of making the results. And I'm dubious on if I should make a character for myself in my own RTD because I'm worried about being biased.
Some people like to create more than others. Some people also like to watch others do stuff more than others. It's a bit of an odd topic, I suppose.

As for bias... that's tricky, but generally a biased game is better than none at all, and if it isn't presumably no one will play it.

How do I make bows an actual equal alternative to ranged magic? Because in most games, bows are completely ignored, which I don't like.
I think this is a function of RTDs being fairly simple, and thus a good example of that "simple versus good" issue I always have. Magic can usually do all sorts of fun stuff, so people are naturally drawn to that. Melee weapons can be cool, and in general there's some good reason why melee wielders are hardier than magic users. Bows... fill magic's slot of "squishy damage," but are less varied (and usually less cool) than either magic or melee. There's no obvious reason to take them, like with magic, nor is there a commonly built in advantage to them, like melee.

There's a thousand different ways to solve that, then, and it largely depends on how everything else works. This includes whether when you say "bows" you're talking about "the archer class," "the bonuses bows give when used," "the special maneuvers you can use with bows," or something else.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Dermonster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 29, 2011, 06:04:16 pm »

An extension on the bow vs magic problem: The thing is, I like to think of myself using, say, water magic, to drain all the blood from the opponents body. Or freeze the blood. Maybe using earth magic to manipulate the attackers bones and rip them all out simultaneously.

Bows are another case of point-and-shoot, I think, even if subconsciously. If I had to use one I could think of some pretty neat stuff to do with it, suck as trick shots or long distance sharpshooting, (In Mercenary RTD I once painted a wall, literally, with a guys brains bones and blood with a headshot. It was a painting of a guy getting headshotted.) but I prefer extreme variety.

On RTD's in general, I think I prefer a flexible, well written, and expansive story above it all. No matter space modern or fantasy, if the intro has the markings of something epic, I'll try it out. If it turns out to not be, I'll make it epic by sheer force of will.

But I do have to agree on one thing. If you need more than three or four spoilers to explain stuff, I likely won't bother looking it over and just go elsewhere.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2011, 06:07:03 pm by dermonster »

Bdthemag

• Bay Watcher
  • Die Wacht am Rhein
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 29, 2011, 07:25:25 pm »

Since i've never dealed with a player dying in an RTD, I was wondering when should I decide to kill a character? I don't want to kill them to soon but then again I don't want a man with no legs and arms crawling around beating up baddies.
Well, you do have a busy life, what with keeping tabs on wild, rough-and-tumble forum members while sorting out the drama between your twenty two inner lesbians.
Welcome to Reality.

Dermonster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 29, 2011, 07:27:42 pm »

I hope you don't mean me :)

Anyway, you kill them once they take enough damage. Or once a set amount of time of a major injury not getting healed goes off.

Or if they are being a dick. or stupid.

Bdthemag

• Bay Watcher
  • Die Wacht am Rhein
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 29, 2011, 07:28:55 pm »

I hope you don't mean me :)

Anyway, you kill them once they take enough damage. Or once a set amount of time of a major injury not getting healed goes off.

Or if they are being a dick. or stupid.
Of course I don't mean you *shifty eyes*.
Welcome to Reality.

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 29, 2011, 07:34:22 pm »

Since i've never dealed with a player dying in an RTD, I was wondering when should I decide to kill a character? I don't want to kill them to soon but then again I don't want a man with no legs and arms crawling around beating up baddies.
As a player, I say wait until they get tired of having no limbs and ask to die themselves. I'm pretty sure absolutely no one likes someone else just killing them. They'd rather die on their own terms.
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 29, 2011, 08:17:15 pm »

I'll second "when they run out of hit points or blood." If they're crippled anyway that shouldn't take too long, and if they can't wriggle their way into battle in the first place, you should probably just cut to the chase and give them cybernetic limbs or ask if they'd like to reroll now.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

ExKirby

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 30, 2011, 10:14:01 am »

I'll second "when they run out of hit points or blood." If they're crippled anyway that shouldn't take too long, and if they can't wriggle their way into battle in the first place, you should probably just cut to the chase and give them cybernetic limbs or ask if they'd like to reroll now.
Generally, loss of limbs is death. At least, in Sci-Fi, where all the weapons deal heavy damage on hit.
Derm would be a Half-Minute Hero boss. YOU HAVE 30 SECONDS TO FUCK HIM UP OR HE DOES IT TO THE ENTIRE WORLD!

ExKirby

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 30, 2011, 03:59:57 pm »

So I had another idea. A sandbox Mad Scientist game, where the aim is to have epic iinventions. NPC tech is barebones minimum, and factions don't yet exist. Players must forge a technological world, and maybe have their own faction to boot. The game would be interesting, because you could literally go anywhere with it.

Also, backstory.

The year is 2026. Despite major natural disasters tearing the less developed countries to shreds, and tossing the better off ones into high turmoil, not much has changed. Despite small technilogical advances being made, the overall scheme of things hasn't changed. Until today.

It is a bitter January morning in the streets of New York. You look out of your window to see a similar street to 15 years ago. Sure, the cars may be more economic, and the buildings may be more efficient, this is still the same old NYC. You look at your room. Amongst a clutter of scrap parts, a computer, a HD3DTV and a door, you see your Science Certificate, designed by yourself. You squat down to admire it for a second.

Suddenly, by pure stroke of luck, a strange beam of light hits your window, bounces of your most prized invention, catches your certificate and hits you square in the eye. You feel inspired enough to regenerate the bog standardness of modern life into something amazing! You grab your clothes, your tools, some parts and your prized invention, and head outside. You notice that five others seem to be inspired on a similar scale. Work with or against them, but you will craft the world again... with the power of Science.

I could run this actually... does it seem good?
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 661