Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 661

Author Topic: Roller's Block (RTD Brainstorming Thread) (HAPPY LATE BIRTHDAY) (Derm is 5k)  (Read 678230 times)

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile
Re: Roller's Block (RTD Brainstorming Thread)
« Reply #255 on: May 16, 2011, 06:47:07 pm »

I don't know how to make it work on a forum though, since players won't get much freedom. Vehicular combat is a tough sell in text form.

Anyone got any good ideas on how to make this work, some interest or none? Should I just take the plunge and go down in flames?
ASCIIDraw would really work good in making pictures, which is much easier than in text. It's what I used when I was doing my spaceship RTD.

EDIT: If you didn't know, this would be my first time running an RTD-any tips starting out?
1: GIVE THE PLAYERS A GOAL! If they don't have a goal, they'll get bored and quit. I've made that mistake... what, 4 times? Yeah, make sure the players know what their objective is.
2: Figure out the rules BEFORE you start the game, as editing rules in-game is a baaaad idea unless it's fairly minor or it won't have any noticeable affects at the current state. Because not only will it disrupt the players, but it creates extra work for you when changing things.
3: Figure out what crowd you want to attract: Little rules, and you'll invite the people who are just in so they can die horribly. Lots of rules, and you'll only get the HARD CORE RTD players, and would be better off in the Forum Games and Roleplaying sub-forum and not the Roll To Dodge sub-sub-forum. The middle point is what you're aiming for. Hit it and people of all kinds will flock to play.
4: Don't overburden yourself. The more you burden yourself, the more bored you'll be while writing a turn. Make your RTD as simple as possible without ruining the quality.
5: Make sure you give players enough optional crap to fill out because some of us just like to fill out stuff for the lulz.
6: Some players love to get themselves horribly killed or mutated. Keep that in mind.
7: Expect anything. Players are always Chaotic Evil insane psychopaths that will do the last thing you'd expect them to do.

Whew. Got all that?
« Last Edit: May 16, 2011, 06:54:13 pm by Tarran »
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #256 on: May 16, 2011, 06:55:02 pm »

If enough people are interested I could try to make the SBURB game.

Dermonster

• Bay Watcher
  • Break the world, see what falls out.
    • View Profile
« Reply #257 on: May 16, 2011, 06:56:25 pm »

If you need an example of an excellent RTD to take examples from, Roll to roll to dodge is a good one.

Have a 'location' 'Currently doing' 'wounds' 'dis/abilities' and 'items' tab in spoiler'd statuses with the peoples names on them. Makes it look better.

Appearances, unless you make pictures, DO NOT MAKE THE SLIGHTEST DIFFERENCE WHATSOEVER. Put 'basic clothing' in their inventory, and that's it as far as anyone even possibly concerned could care. Don't make it mandatory.

Back stories  are less useless, but are still kinda sorta still completely useless. Don't make this mandatory either.

Pictures will make people flock to it like RTD'ers to RTD's with pictures.

Some people (Read: Me) Will want to see the adventure to the very end because we really might like the storyline and genuinely want to be a part of it.

And above all else IT'S BETTER WHEN IT'S FUNNY.

DARVI YOU WILL DO SO THIS INSTANT YOU LOVABLE SON OF A DEITY.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2011, 06:58:34 pm by dermonster »
I can do anything I want, as long as I accept the consequences.
"Y'know, my favorite thing about being a hero is that it gives you all kinds of narrative justification to just slay any ol' jerk who gets in the way - Black Mage.
"The bulk of [Derm]'s atrocities seem to stem from him doing things that [Magic] doesn't actually do." - TvTropes
"Dammit Derm!" - You, if I'm doing it right.
Moved to SufficientVelocity / Spacebattles.

SeriousConcentrate

• Bay Watcher
  • The Hollow Street Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #258 on: May 16, 2011, 07:03:53 pm »

A Homestuck RTD would be cool.

IN.

@Dwarmin: Tarran's advice is pretty solid. ^^ Only thing I can add is do what I did and just jump in, hoping it'll turn out all right. I think it's worked out pretty well for me so far.

@Everyone in general: So the sci-fi RTD Taricus asked me to try is coming along pretty well, using a variation of the Fallout games system. (OK, it's really almost just like it, just without perks, some additional skills, and a few other misc. things) Right now I'm having trouble thinking of a good equipment list. All I have is a general category for one-handed melee, a gen.cat. for two-handed melee, and then: light pistol, heavy pistol, light revolver, heavy revolver, light machine pistol, heavy machine pistol. I have categories for Assault Rifles, Sniper Rifles, Shotguns, and Big Guns (miniguns and rocket launchers and such) but I'm having trouble thinking of what to fill them with. Any help? I'd rather stay away from specific company-type weapons since one of the things I have set up is there are, Borderlands style, several different companies you can get the gun from, all offering variations on the same general type. So you could get a GenCorp Heavy Pistol (no change to its base stats) or a Leviphon Heavy Pistol (which gives it 2x the clip size but also makes it take 2x the AP to reload).

For comparison's sake I'm posting up the Light weapons here, with some explanations of the terms...

Light Pistol: The weakest gun available but widely used because of its ease of use and quick reload speed. (Deals 2-3 damage, 1 WU, 2 AP to attack/3 AP to target, 1 AP to reload - reloads after ten shots, no STR req)

Light Revolver: Used by those who wish to fight in style. It's roughly comparable to the Heavy Pistol but has a higher damage rate to compensate for its lower ammo count and longer reload time. (Deal 4-7 damage, 2 WU,  3 AP to attack/4 AP to target, 2 AP to reload - reloads after six shots, 4 STR req)

Light Machine Pistol: A sidearm favored by tight-knit squadrons for the ability to lay down waves of light suppressing fire upon their enemies. Not especially powerful, but useful in many situations. (Deals 1 damage,  1 WU, 3 AP to attack/4 to target/4 for 5-shot burst, 1 AP to reload - capacity is 10, no STR Req)

WU = Weight Unit, you can carry a certain amount depending on your character's strength.
AP = Action Points, you have so many you can spend per turn
STR Req = Strength Requirement, if you use the weapon without at least this much strength you suffer a -1 penalty to hit for every point you lack.
Target = Aimed attacks, like at the hands or eyes
SerCon Shorts: This Is How You Do It - Twenty-three one minute or less videos of random stupidity in AC:U, Bloodborne, DS2:SotFS, Salt & Sanctuary, and The Witcher 3.

choobakka

• Bay Watcher
  • The same thing we do every night, Pinky...
    • View Profile
« Reply #259 on: May 16, 2011, 07:06:19 pm »

Sounds a little... complicated. Also, just ten minutes until Portal 2 downloads! Yay!

SeriousConcentrate

• Bay Watcher
  • The Hollow Street Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #260 on: May 16, 2011, 07:08:01 pm »

I'm all about customization. ^^ So I like to provide it for my players.
SerCon Shorts: This Is How You Do It - Twenty-three one minute or less videos of random stupidity in AC:U, Bloodborne, DS2:SotFS, Salt & Sanctuary, and The Witcher 3.

Dermonster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #261 on: May 16, 2011, 07:09:23 pm »

Secondary note: Don't make it too complicated. Most of us wish to turn our brains off when we come here (Some of us more than others I'M NOT POINTING ANY FINGERS)[And excepting the case of planning mass murder of the innocent] so if you put more than 5 numbers on it that's not flavor text it's a bit too (WORDS)

Of course you still can if you want too, some people like that apparently.

@serious I would probably close out of that tab quarter of a minute after I opened it.
"Y'know, my favorite thing about being a hero is that it gives you all kinds of narrative justification to just slay any ol' jerk who gets in the way - Black Mage.
"The bulk of [Derm]'s atrocities seem to stem from him doing things that [Magic] doesn't actually do." - TvTropes

SeriousConcentrate

• Bay Watcher
  • The Hollow Street Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #262 on: May 16, 2011, 07:12:30 pm »

I said I liked to complicate things, but no one listened... >.>

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #263 on: May 16, 2011, 07:22:35 pm »

DARVI YOU WILL DO SO THIS INSTANT YOU LOVABLE SON OF A DEITY.
Not before you make a post :V

Also I'm currently busy falling into hell.

Terraria is so much fun.

Dermonster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #264 on: May 16, 2011, 07:25:04 pm »

ITS A METAPHOR

ALSO GOD DAMN YOU I WANT THAT SO MUCH 8UT I HAVE TO WAIT SO LOOOOOOOONG

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #265 on: May 16, 2011, 07:28:01 pm »

Serious, I doubt many people on this sub-sub-forum actually like to deal with keeping track of their AP and stuff. I don't think it'd go very well. You'd have a better time allowing a person to "fire" once and subtract how many bullets it took to kill the target with a hard limit on how many you can shoot per turn. Or, even simpler, just have them "Fire" once and just have one dice roll for the entire burst/shot/whatever, subtracting a set amount of bullets each time. Also, players should also be allowed to reload in the same turn they shoot, since no one wants to spend a turn doing nothing but reloading.
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

SeriousConcentrate

• Bay Watcher
  • The Hollow Street Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #266 on: May 16, 2011, 07:39:40 pm »

You'd have to have your agility in pretty poor condition to spend an entire round doing nothing but reloading... I usually play with an 8 agility character with small frame+fast shot traits = 10 AP every round, and it costs 1 AP less to fire a gun. So a gun that normally takes 4 AP now costs 3 AP to fire and 2 AP to reload; I can squeeze two shots off, move two spaces away, and reload in the same turn, or just move four spaces away to be safe if I'm sure I still have a lot of ammo in the clip. It sucks losing the ability to target specific limbs (fast shot and all, but the -1AP cost is worth it imo >.>) but once I level up enough to get the Bonus Rate of Fire perk it costs only 2 AP to fire and I can get three shots off and move (or 4 if I'm not so close to an enemy I feel the need to move) and still reload. ^^ So basically, as long as you don't waste your AP you could reload and shoot.

Still, anyway, point taken.

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #267 on: May 16, 2011, 08:34:50 pm »

Holy shit, you've been busy. Sounds like most of the system comes from FO:T.

Now I really want to play this RtD :D
Quote from: evictedSaint
We sided with the holocaust for a fucking +1 roll

SeriousConcentrate

• Bay Watcher
  • The Hollow Street Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #268 on: May 17, 2011, 04:46:30 am »

Eh, I discarded that... technically. I still have the work I put in on it but I'm trying to think of a simpler system now. (Just woke up and haven't even had my coffee yet so I haven't done much of anything on that front. :p)

Actually, I'm still working on it. I don't have any better ideas for a system. Don't know if I'll ever use it, but at least it gives me something to do.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2011, 07:18:21 pm by SeriousConcentrate »

SeriousConcentrate

• Bay Watcher
  • The Hollow Street Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #269 on: May 18, 2011, 11:00:51 am »

Yeah, all right, I admit defeat. I've got absolutely nothing but a case of writer's block to show for my efforts. I tried coming up with a decent/original sci-fi scenario but frankly I didn't get one paragraph in before I found myself staring at the blank black background of Jarte. Anyone have any ideas for a scenario they would like to play in? I think I have a decently simple system but I have absolutely nothing to apply it to. Just for reference, the system is basically: you have a few different stats (haven't decided what they are yet, probably going to go with strength, agility, intelligence, endurance, and charisma) that go from 2 to 9; whenever you do something, I just roll 1d10 and if it's below the number you have that stat at it works, otherwise you fail, with a 1 being an overshoot and a 10 being a massive failure. That way you always have at least a 20% chance of doing something but never more than a 90% chance of succeeding to keep things interesting. Haven't thought about combat much yet, I'll probably just use the D&D standard of 'this weapon deals 1d6 on a hit, this one does 1d8, etc.'
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 661