Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 32 33 [34] 35 36 ... 661

Author Topic: Roller's Block (RTD Brainstorming Thread) (HAPPY LATE BIRTHDAY) (Derm is 5k)  (Read 702331 times)

adwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Roller's Block (RTD Brainstorming Thread)
« Reply #495 on: June 11, 2011, 12:37:15 am »

Irony if you do make the Mechwarrior/gundam RTD I call a spot.

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #496 on: June 11, 2011, 12:44:34 am »

You know what? I'm kind of thinking about making either a space opera or everyone-dies-horribly-in-space RTD, so if you've got anything to say on what you'd like or hate to see, speak up.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #497 on: June 11, 2011, 12:45:05 am »

space opera meaning what?
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

SeriousConcentrate

• Bay Watcher
  • The Hollow Street Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #498 on: June 11, 2011, 12:50:23 am »

Pretty sure Star Wars is considered a space opera, for reference. I'm interested in seeing what IronyOwl comes up with either way he goes with. ^^
SerCon Shorts: This Is How You Do It - Twenty-three one minute or less videos of random stupidity in AC:U, Bloodborne, DS2:SotFS, Salt & Sanctuary, and The Witcher 3.

Talarion

• Bay Watcher
  • Cold as ice.
    • View Profile
« Reply #499 on: June 11, 2011, 12:58:05 am »

Space Opera is what people call 'Sci Fi', basically shows set in the future with high tech that has no basis in real science.
Fate/Stay Night: OOC thread - Serious talk about the canon characters' bisexuality, gravity rape, Noble Phantasm balance, Tiruin's character level of dumbness versus naivete, how sick and tainted my mind is, linguistics and much more.

What more do you need?

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #500 on: June 11, 2011, 01:40:32 am »

Sorry, what? I couldn't hear your logic over the sound of giant robots swordfighting in space. With lasers.
Sorry, what? I couldn't hear your lack of logic over the sound of people in overly expensive suits flying into and crumpling against against a ship's shield. :P

...Wait, space doesn't have sound. ???

Sorry, what? I couldn't hear your lack of logic over the sound of space.

...no, no that makes even less sense...

Whatever.

The only issues I recall were that it got too complex, and you sort of lost interest in it. If you mean issues with the feasibility of maintaining shields or the power requirements of warp travel, those wouldn't really apply because I'd flagrantly and shamelessly ignore them.
Dead on. Almost. I think I also made it so people had specific jobs, which were likely pretty boring. It would've been better having them all in fighters or something.

You know what? I'm kind of thinking about making either a space opera or everyone-dies-horribly-in-space RTD, so if you've got anything to say on what you'd like or hate to see, speak up.
Aliens. Put lots of aliens infiltrating human areas.

Oh, and let players be aliens. It would be interesting trying to pose as a human when you're an alien.

Also, weren't you making SMII? Or did you give up? If it's the latter, don't worry, I've given up several RTDs before.

space opera meaning what?
I'm not sure if this will explain it a whole lot, but Wikipedia has a page on it.
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #501 on: June 11, 2011, 02:29:32 am »

Space Opera is what people call 'Sci Fi', basically shows set in the future with high tech that has no basis in real science.
This is a pretty good definition, or at least the one I'm using. Star Wars would be the obvious example, but I'd include most science fiction works, really (or at least, most of any notable popularity). If it's not sort of weird, like 2001: A Space Odyssey, it's probably a space opera.

Aliens. Put lots of aliens infiltrating human areas.

Oh, and let players be aliens. It would be interesting trying to pose as a human when you're an alien.
So sort of X-COM-y, where it's humans, quite possibly just Earth, being infiltrated by sneaky, technologically superior forces with unknown motivation?

Dunno, if I was going for that type of thing I think I'd prefer it more Halo-y, with open warfare more than "These damn aliens keep popping up like cockroaches and we don't know why."

If I was going to go more for the infiltration/some players are disguised aliens route, I'd probably go for the mooks aboard a space station who are probably going to die scenario, where in the meantime they keep trying to root out the aliens and stop the reactor from detonating, oxygen from being turned off, thrusters from nudging the place into whatever it orbits, etc.

Also, weren't you making SMII? Or did you give up? If it's the latter, don't worry, I've given up several RTDs before.
I'm certainly still considering it, or possibly a more Conan-esque RTD, but I just don't feel like I'm ready yet. The space RTD will almost assuredly be pretty simple no matter what I do- maybe a +1 to something from your profession, then perhaps some equipment bonuses and a few more perks if you live long enough, but nothing like SM in its complexity.
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #502 on: June 11, 2011, 02:45:16 am »

So sort of X-COM-y, where it's humans, quite possibly just Earth, being infiltrated by sneaky, technologically superior forces with unknown motivation?

Dunno, if I was going for that type of thing I think I'd prefer it more Halo-y, with open warfare more than "These damn aliens keep popping up like cockroaches and we don't know why."

If I was going to go more for the infiltration/some players are disguised aliens route, I'd probably go for the mooks aboard a space station who are probably going to die scenario, where in the meantime they keep trying to root out the aliens and stop the reactor from detonating, oxygen from being turned off, thrusters from nudging the place into whatever it orbits, etc.
Halo-ish is fine. I was thinking of: Humanity is at war with X. X has bad terms with Y, Z etc. X is winning against humanity, humanity falling slowly but painfully. Y, Z, or others secretly send help in the form of their own soldiers in suits that make them appear and sound as though they were human as long as they don't loose power, and also maintain them (since I doubt they'll get to eat their own food for a while). Y, Z, etc don't directly send help lest they start their own war with X, which is stronger than them.

I don't know why, I just find an interest in that sort of thing. And trying to roleplay it may be interesting.
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

Digital Hellhound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #503 on: June 11, 2011, 03:49:35 am »

That sounds pretty interesting, Tarran. I'd play that. I can already see the problems these 'infiltrators' from Y and Z would have trying to fit in with real humans.
Russia is simply taking an anti-Fascist stance against European Nazi products, they should be applauded. ¡No parmesan!

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #504 on: June 11, 2011, 04:01:02 am »

Heheh, yeah.

Human male: *Whispering* "Hey, Dude, check out Asha and her bombshells." *Whew!*
Alien: "BOMBS?!"
*Everyone in the room stares*
Human male: *Whispering* "...no, bombshells. Her breasts."
Alien: "...I knew that!"
Human male: "Riiiighhhhhhtttt."

Or:

Human male Sergeant: "It's 8 AM, GET UP!"
Alien: "What? I thought it was 2 GT..."
*Confused look from the Sergeant*
Human male Sergeant: "What have you been taking? There's no 'GT' time."
Alien: "...Umm, I mean, yes, yes, it's 8 AM and I should get up. Crap. Crap crap crap."

Or:

Human male: *Whew!* "Check out Jane. She is H.O.T. Hot!"
Alien Medic: *Touches Jane's forhead* "She seems fine to me."
*Silence*

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #505 on: June 11, 2011, 04:54:34 am »

So, going further into the tangent of things I'm not going to run, that sounds like some sort of pseudo-mafia game, where everyone's got weird restrictions and requirements, and has to attempt to find the alien infiltrators in a station full of genuine lunatics. This isn't relevant to anything and would have some problems, but is at least amusing in theory.

Back on topic, alien infiltrators could make for an interesting dynamic, at least if you could never be certain they were fully and permanently on the humans' side. Trouble is, it's likely half the team would end up as them. Which I guess could be further interesting, but you might as well go fully integrated at that point.

SeriousConcentrate

• Bay Watcher
  • The Hollow Street Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #506 on: June 11, 2011, 05:30:37 am »

Indeed. It would probably be best to have everyone make a character, and then PM one of them and tell them they're an alien infiltrator and let them decide what to do with it.
SerCon Shorts: This Is How You Do It - Twenty-three one minute or less videos of random stupidity in AC:U, Bloodborne, DS2:SotFS, Salt & Sanctuary, and The Witcher 3.

TolyK

• Bay Watcher
  • Nowan Ilfideme
    • View Profile
« Reply #507 on: June 12, 2011, 03:33:51 am »

I;d LOVE a mechwarrior-type game, but:
You lost me at Gundam.
:-\
My Mafia Stats
just do whatevery tolyK and blame it as a bastard mod
Shakerag: Who are you personally suspicious of?
At this point?  TolyK.

TolyK

• Bay Watcher
  • Nowan Ilfideme
    • View Profile
« Reply #508 on: June 12, 2011, 03:36:59 am »

...Problems with that:

How the hell are mechs in space worth their money? Jumpjets, grav drives, grav decks on ships
How the hell are the mechs going to move in space without huge engines? Why would you build mechs anyway if you are basically building a ship? Grav decks/grav drives. These are amphibious too :P
How the hell are you going to stick enough armor on a mech to survive against actual ships? Make a new type of armor :P
How the hell are you going to stick good enough weapons on the mechs to actually damage the ships even a minor amount without resorting to nukes? Make a new type of weapon :P  Use a fusion reactor

I'm not trying to shoot you down or anything, but it's just... not practical. You'd have fun just trying to explain it! Space really isn't a place for land vehicles. :|
Sure as hell yeah. But it's fun!
My Mafia Stats
just do whatevery tolyK and blame it as a bastard mod
Shakerag: Who are you personally suspicious of?
At this point?  TolyK.

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #509 on: June 12, 2011, 04:22:10 am »

Spoiler: Pointless rant. (click to show/hide)

I'm not trying to shoot you down or anything, but it's just... not practical. You'd have fun just trying to explain it! Space really isn't a place for land vehicles. :|
Sure as hell yeah. But it's fun!
Alright. I won't argue with that. Though you really shouldn't try to argue with me if you just agreed that they're not practical. ::)

Anyway, pointless rant is pointless. Let's not derail this thread any further.

To get it back on track, who's planning RTDs and what RTDs are you planning?
Pages: 1 ... 32 33 [34] 35 36 ... 661