Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 160 161 [162] 163 164 ... 661

Author Topic: Roller's Block (RTD Brainstorming Thread) (HAPPY LATE BIRTHDAY) (Derm is 5k)  (Read 699491 times)

TolyK

• Bay Watcher
  • Nowan Ilfideme
    • View Profile
Re: Roller's Block (RTD Brainstorming Thread)
« Reply #2415 on: November 23, 2011, 01:58:51 pm »

GAH
I still need players for Roll to Hack... >.>

And ideas...
My Mafia Stats
just do whatevery tolyK and blame it as a bastard mod
Shakerag: Who are you personally suspicious of?
At this point?  TolyK.

adwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2416 on: November 23, 2011, 02:05:10 pm »

GAH
I still need players for Roll to Hack... >.>

And ideas...
I am in !!! AWAY TO THE THREAD !!!

SeriousConcentrate

• Bay Watcher
  • The Hollow Street Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #2417 on: November 23, 2011, 02:09:10 pm »

Code: (System) [Select]
-snip- pubic moves are broadcast to everyone. -snip-

Personally I'm not joining because that's the kind of thing I don't think should be broadcast to everyone, call me a prude if you like. :P
SerCon Shorts: This Is How You Do It - Twenty-three one minute or less videos of random stupidity in AC:U, Bloodborne, DS2:SotFS, Salt & Sanctuary, and The Witcher 3.

TolyK

• Bay Watcher
  • Nowan Ilfideme
    • View Profile
« Reply #2418 on: November 23, 2011, 02:11:29 pm »

O SNAP
nowan saw that...
My Mafia Stats
just do whatevery tolyK and blame it as a bastard mod
Shakerag: Who are you personally suspicious of?
At this point?  TolyK.

Dave1004

• Bay Watcher
  • This is getting personal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2419 on: November 23, 2011, 02:15:13 pm »

Oh boy, what a horrible thing writer's block is! I just keep typing out a plot and then scrapping it...I'm on my fourth try now, but I'm going to scrap it again. Who cares about plot, my RTD is destined to fail eventually anyways...

It's a boring day today...

Hardcap of 200 MB/24 hours.

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2420 on: November 23, 2011, 02:26:08 pm »

Yeah, I know how you feel. Had a similar problem yesterday with my statistics homework.

micelus

• Bay Watcher
  • If you wait long enough, it moves.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2421 on: November 23, 2011, 02:36:25 pm »

Why bother making a plot when you can make one as the game goes on? Just say that the players are in the <dungeon> to get rich quick.
Do you hear that, Endra? NONE CAN STAND AGAINST THE POWER OF THE DENTAL, AHAHAHAHA!!!
You win Nakeen
Marduk is my waifu
Inanna is my husbando

adwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2422 on: November 23, 2011, 02:38:10 pm »

Now I want to play as a Dwarven Berzerker in Dave's RTD >:( But theres no berzerker class

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably browsing tasteful erotic dolphin photos
    • View Profile
« Reply #2423 on: November 23, 2011, 02:57:44 pm »

Oh boy, what a horrible thing writer's block is! I just keep typing out a plot and then scrapping it...I'm on my fourth try now, but I'm going to scrap it again. Who cares about plot, my RTD is destined to fail eventually anyways...

It's a boring day today...

I can help some with that, show you a few tips and tricks to writing a story arc and give feedback on what you already have. I ain't the best here but I ain't bad either. You up for it?
I have a degree in Computer Seance, that means I'm officially qualified to tell you that the problem with your system is that it's possessed by Satan.
---
Q: "Do you have any idea what you're doing?"
A: "No, not particularly."

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2424 on: November 23, 2011, 03:06:17 pm »

Why bother making a plot when you can make one as the game goes on? Just say that the players are in the <dungeon> to get rich quick.
As someone who is basically doing that, I must say that that method has it's own drawbacks. Like: Procrastination on the story, being rushed to make up the story when everyone is waiting on a turn, discrepancies in canon, stuff like that.
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

Digital Hellhound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2425 on: November 23, 2011, 03:15:08 pm »

As someone who is basically doing that, I must say that that method has it's own drawbacks. Like: Procrastination on the story, being rushed to make up the story when everyone is waiting on a turn, discrepancies in canon, stuff like that.

I have to agree with this. It's even worse when you're trying to run seven different, separated plots at the same time and don't have time to think more than barebones plots for most of them. >_>

Don't make your plot too inflexible either, though. Players just love running off the rails, and forcing them back isn't always easy.
Russia is simply taking an anti-Fascist stance against European Nazi products, they should be applauded. ¡No parmesan!

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2426 on: November 23, 2011, 03:16:55 pm »

I have to agree with this. It's even worse when you're trying to run seven different, separated plots at the same time and don't have time to think more than barebones plots for most of them. >_>

What I did over the last few days for MKWRTD is condense all current shown and not shown plot points into one single narrative in a word document that I'm not going to show the players. Now I can reveal things as necessary, and make more plot-relevant turns without having to worry about opening up a plot hole accidentally.

Digital Hellhound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2427 on: November 23, 2011, 03:20:56 pm »

That wouldn't make any sense for me, I'm afraid. But I'm talking about Nowhere to Run here, so saying 'plots' was a bit of an exaggeration. The only things that could really be called plots are Talarion's and Toaster's sections right now, otherwise it's just self-contained missions that aren't usually connected.
Russia is simply taking an anti-Fascist stance against European Nazi products, they should be applauded. ¡No parmesan!

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2428 on: November 23, 2011, 03:21:50 pm »

Oh. Well, it depends on the style of the RTD. If the plot is largely player-driven, writing it out in advance wouldn't make much sense.

Digital Hellhound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2429 on: November 23, 2011, 03:42:03 pm »

Returning to my and Yoink's Viking RTD, we're having some trouble thinking of a way to get in formations, shield walls, etc, and more tactical combat in general. Going to focused on it would result in the players having little to do (can't command an army with six or so people), but I think it could be made more interesting than just abstracted bonuses from being in a formation or something.

Also, because I can't get this idea out of my head, any interest for a grand strategy RTD? Players would be lords and mercenary captains, fighting wars with thousands of men, thinking of ways to utilize terrain and troop tactics to their advantage, getting mixed in political intrigue, running intelligence networks and assassinating rivals and enemies, and so on. All this on my nice Hexographer maps.
Pages: 1 ... 160 161 [162] 163 164 ... 661