Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 175 176 [177] 178 179 ... 661

Author Topic: Roller's Block (RTD Brainstorming Thread) (HAPPY LATE BIRTHDAY) (Derm is 5k)  (Read 702443 times)

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
Re: Roller's Block (RTD Brainstorming Thread)
« Reply #2640 on: December 02, 2011, 11:11:24 am »

Instunctual conjuration. You know you want to.

JackoftheBox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2641 on: December 02, 2011, 12:06:43 pm »

I'll be putting my game up propably tomorrow, so the guys who said were interest, want me to reserve you a spot?

And about the freeform magic thing, I had an idea about a system which would be something like this:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

EDIT: I just wrote whatever was in my head, and after all that I realized that this system would be kinda hard to implement in RTD as a GM would need to roll, and then tell the player that "hey you got 4 successes, what ya wanna do with em?"
« Last Edit: December 02, 2011, 12:10:35 pm by JackoftheBox »
This morning I found myself looking at the numberplates of the cars on my drive in to work and seeing them as tileset characters in ASCII... a silver Renault I was behind had an interesting scene of a Human wrestling a Minotaur near a bin.

Dermonster

• Bay Watcher
  • Break the world, see what falls out.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2642 on: December 02, 2011, 12:09:02 pm »

There is a test thread.
I can do anything I want, as long as I accept the consequences.
"Y'know, my favorite thing about being a hero is that it gives you all kinds of narrative justification to just slay any ol' jerk who gets in the way - Black Mage.
"The bulk of [Derm]'s atrocities seem to stem from him doing things that [Magic] doesn't actually do." - TvTropes
"Dammit Derm!" - You, if I'm doing it right.
Moved to SufficientVelocity / Spacebattles.

Digital Hellhound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2643 on: December 02, 2011, 12:10:02 pm »

I like the idea of assigning successes to various parts of your spell. It allows for a lot of customization and specializing the effects, but still isn't too much work for the GM.
Russia is simply taking an anti-Fascist stance against European Nazi products, they should be applauded. ¡No parmesan!

lawastooshort

• Bay Watcher
  • goodness what
    • View Profile
« Reply #2644 on: December 02, 2011, 01:01:53 pm »

I'll be putting my game up propably tomorrow, so the guys who said were interest, want me to reserve you a spot?

If you're offering, yes please.

PS, interesting magic idea.

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2645 on: December 02, 2011, 01:09:17 pm »

Yes please.

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #2646 on: December 02, 2011, 01:10:02 pm »

Okay, so I've been bad. I've stayed up until... 2am because I actually wanted to start writing this and well, it's grown on me >.> I haven't done an awful lot, but here is the beginnings of the system I was proposing earlier. Magic!

Quote from: Myself
Call of Magic - Roll to Magecraft

Spoiler: The Basics (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: The Arts of Magecraft (click to show/hide)

Okay, so it isn't very freeform... but still!

Note: If anyone wants to help develop this, or even if you have ideas for it, go ahead. I want this to be something made by just more than me, and often another viewpoint or input is better for things like this. Helps with variety. So please, Help me out even if you have a tiny idea about it ^^

Looks pretty good to me, as a start. Have you given thought to how things will work mechanically? What's the actual difference between Sorcery and Instinctualism, from a numbers perspective?

I like the idea of assigning successes to various parts of your spell. It allows for a lot of customization and specializing the effects, but still isn't too much work for the GM.

I like this idea a lot. If it were I running this system, I'd divide the act of casting a spell into three parts. "To put it simply, think, point and release." Yes, I know that was taken from the Invocation description, but I'd like to think that Magic obeys its own rules- Invokers know and experiment with the rules, Theugers don't understand the rules but they can achieve reliable effects through rituals,  Sorcerers don't think about the rules and just try to get by on force of will, and Instinctualism has basically no control.

In short, when casting a spell the player first rolls to gather the magical energies needed for the spell- "Think." Failure in this step normally means the spell just fails, Overshoot means that more power than desired is gathered. Then, they shape those energies to achieve the desired effect- "Point." Failure in this step can mean having the energies dissipate without effect [2], or possibly damage the caster [1], while Overshoot means they cast a different spell (similar to the intended spell, though.) Finally, there is a controlled release of the energy- "Release." Failure in this step means loss of control, which leads to a different spell being cast than the one intended, depending on the energies involved. Critical Failure means that a different spell is cast that specifically targets the caster. Overshoot means that the spell is released rapidly and under control (meaning more power) but at the cost of the casters physical well-being (temporary debuffs.)

Theugers are your basic magic-wielding person- they have a set spell list that does very specific things, and they can find more spells in the form of scrolls as they go along, but they can't cast spells they don't know. They get a bonus to all phases of the casting, at the cost of their versatility.

Invokers are le Wizard- Like Theugers, they have a list of spells they can cast, but they also have the option to experiment with it. To differentiate them from Sorcerers, I'd limit them to a single school of magic. When casting a known spell, they gain small bonuses to Release and Point, and apply Mentality as a bonus towards Think. When trying to cast a new spell, they receive no bonuses. Invokers who Overshoot on the Point stage automatically retain knowledge of the new spell, whether it successfully casts or not. Invokers can also learn new spells through scrolls or a teacher, as the Theuger.

Sorcerers are a less reliable version of the Wizard- they have a spell list, but casting a known spell only grants a small buff to Think. Sorcerers can apply their Willpower as a bonus to Point. Sorcerers cannot learn spells through scrolls or spellbooks- instead, they need to successfully cast a desired spell as intended (no Overshoots or Failures across the entire casting.) Thus, although Sorcerers have the versatility to cast whatever spell they want their repertoire of "safe" spells grows very slowly. Sorcerers can specialize in a School to gain a bonus to their Think roll, but they must forbid 2 other schools, meaning they can never cast those types of spell ever.

Instinctualists are crazy fuckers magicians who have little direct control of their magic. On the one hand, this means their powers are limited only by their imagination and luck- on the other hand, they have no spell list of "safe" spells. Instinctualists can apply their Willpower to the Release roll, but that's it- the inherently chaotic nature of their gift means that their Overshoots and Critical Failures have more extreme consequences than any other caster.

I might also redefine Demonology as a Style, rather than a school, but I suppose that depends on how you plan on playing it. And obviously, the exact implementation would change based on how character generation goes- I assume the existence of Mentality and Willpower as one of your base stats. If I were running it, I might adjust the whole thing once more- eliminating Theugery as a Style (REAL Mages know what they're doing!), making it the method other non-magic classes do their thing. After all, who wants to join a Mageocracy game and then play a character with zero casting ability? Going that route would also involve shuffling up the other ones a bit to distinguish them more- I could ramble for hours about writing up a magic system, but I think this wall of text is good for now :P

Dermonster

• Bay Watcher
  • Break the world, see what falls out.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2647 on: December 02, 2011, 03:04:54 pm »

YESSSSS
I can do anything I want, as long as I accept the consequences.
"Y'know, my favorite thing about being a hero is that it gives you all kinds of narrative justification to just slay any ol' jerk who gets in the way - Black Mage.
"The bulk of [Derm]'s atrocities seem to stem from him doing things that [Magic] doesn't actually do." - TvTropes
"Dammit Derm!" - You, if I'm doing it right.
Moved to SufficientVelocity / Spacebattles.

micelus

• Bay Watcher
  • If you wait long enough, it moves.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2648 on: December 02, 2011, 04:12:14 pm »

Yes
Do you hear that, Endra? NONE CAN STAND AGAINST THE POWER OF THE DENTAL, AHAHAHAHA!!!
You win Nakeen
Marduk is my waifu
Inanna is my husbando

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2649 on: December 02, 2011, 04:17:56 pm »

Sure! Although four people already said so... :-\
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #2650 on: December 02, 2011, 05:29:11 pm »

Well anyway, more silly ideas:

Spoiler: Demon's Path RTD (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Dark Lord RTD (click to show/hide)
Still contemplating these two. If anyone wants to provide suggestions or inspiration, now's the time.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Noodlerex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2651 on: December 02, 2011, 06:22:22 pm »

Well, I can't really see more than one Darklord at a time, so maybe something like you are king? one person becomes the evil lord and all the others can become minor warlords of theirs or something like that. e.g. Sauron and Saruman.

another thing different backgrounds for the darklord, maybe a magical one ala lord of the rings or one of strength e.g. Attila the Hun

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2652 on: December 02, 2011, 07:06:01 pm »

Well anyway, more silly ideas:

Spoiler: Demon's Path RTD (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Dark Lord RTD (click to show/hide)
Still contemplating these two. If anyone wants to provide suggestions or inspiration, now's the time.
I can't really think of anything else about them that would make them better. Maybe if for Darklord we could have people play as opposites: heavenly beings dedicated to wiping out the dark lords but usually don't have many followers. Or maybe even just neutral lords who aren't really bad or good, but try to do something to the world nonetheless that usually receives resistance. And also, give the players the ability to swap around as they wish: Get pissed off? Turn dark lord. Find a human and fall in love with them? Become goody-two-shoes.

Yes, the reason for me suggesting this is because I would likely have trouble being completely evil. So sue me. :P I would likely do better starting neutral and going from there.
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #2653 on: December 02, 2011, 07:19:37 pm »

Well, I can't really see more than one Darklord at a time, so maybe something like you are king? one person becomes the evil lord and all the others can become minor warlords of theirs or something like that. e.g. Sauron and Saruman.

another thing different backgrounds for the darklord, maybe a magical one ala lord of the rings or one of strength e.g. Attila the Hun
I don't see why not, given that they won't really require the entire world uniting to stop them unless they manage to get that far. If anything, having just one dark lord would be wonky, since once he's wiped out one of the powers opposing him, it becomes that much more difficult for the remainder to pose a threat.

As for backgrounds, I assumed they'd all be highly magical but otherwise as varied as they made themselves. More mundane threats would be too limited to be interesting, I think, so at a bare minimum you'd probably have had to made a deal with a dark god or found a vile artifact or something.

I can't really think of anything else about them that would make them better. Maybe if for Darklord we could have people play as opposites: heavenly beings dedicated to wiping out the dark lords but usually don't have many followers. Or maybe even just neutral lords who aren't really bad or good, but try to do something to the world nonetheless that usually receives resistance. And also, give the players the ability to swap around as they wish: Get pissed off? Turn dark lord. Find a human and fall in love with them? Become goody-two-shoes.

Yes, the reason for me suggesting this is because I would likely have trouble being completely evil. So sue me. :P I would likely do better starting neutral and going from there.
Hm... so long as they were ambitious enough to both conquer the entire world and mold it to their whim, your precise alignment probably wouldn't matter too much.

Also, thanks to Derm I'm now contemplating a Dungeon Keeper game as well, but I suspect there wouldn't be as much enthusiasm as there seemed to be for the above two.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Noodlerex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2654 on: December 02, 2011, 08:25:21 pm »

Would anyone here be interested in another arena based RTD? I know there's 3 already but another can't hurt can it?
Pages: 1 ... 175 176 [177] 178 179 ... 661