Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 226 227 [228] 229 230 ... 661

Author Topic: Roller's Block (RTD Brainstorming Thread) (HAPPY LATE BIRTHDAY) (Derm is 5k)  (Read 666346 times)

Gatleos

• Bay Watcher
  • Mournhold... City of Light... City of MAGIC!
    • View Profile
    • Someone Sig This
Re: Roller's Block (RTD Brainstorming Thread)
« Reply #3405 on: February 13, 2012, 11:10:50 pm »

I, for one, accept this new wave of movies based on things I doodled in junior high.
Think of it like Sim City, except with rival mayors that seek to destroy your citizens by arming legions of homeless people and sending them to attack you.
Quote from: Moonshadow101
it would be funny to see babies spontaneously combust
Gat HQ (Sigtext)
++U+U++ // ,.,.@UUUUUUUU

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #3406 on: February 13, 2012, 11:14:19 pm »

Well, they could hardly do any worse than normal, as far as I'm concerned.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

SeriousConcentrate

• Bay Watcher
  • The Hollow Street Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #3407 on: February 13, 2012, 11:14:56 pm »

Strictly speaking, it's better than yet another unnecessary remake or reboot.
SerCon Shorts: This Is How You Do It - Twenty-three one minute or less videos of random stupidity in AC:U, Bloodborne, DS2:SotFS, Salt & Sanctuary, and The Witcher 3.

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #3408 on: February 13, 2012, 11:16:38 pm »

Apparently it's based on a book. Reading the plot summary makes it sound, if anything, more awesome. Like if Batman Begins had vampire hunting as part of that ninja school. Also, slaveholders are vampires who eat slaves, which is why Lincoln became an Abolitionist. Oh, and Edgar Allen Poe was REALLY murdered by vampires because he knew too much.

I, for one, accept this new wave of movies based on things I doodled in junior high.

Think I'll sig that, if'n you don't mind.

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #3409 on: February 13, 2012, 11:20:25 pm »

Also, slaveholders are vampires who eat slaves, which is why Lincoln became an Abolitionist. Oh, and Edgar Allen Poe was REALLY murdered by vampires because he knew too much.
Oh god yes. This may just restore some of my faith in movies. Or at least confirm that Tim Burton produces Good Things.

Also, this sort of explains the plot an RTD would take. Are you a brutal vampire aristocrat intent on defending your right to feast upon humanity, or a scarred survivor seeking to bring justice to these ravenous terrors of the night?
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Gatleos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Someone Sig This
« Reply #3410 on: February 13, 2012, 11:23:49 pm »

Roll to be a Gritty Reboot
Think about it. Or don't.

Apparently it's based on a book. Reading the plot summary makes it sound, if anything, more awesome. Like if Batman Begins had vampire hunting as part of that ninja school. Also, slaveholders are vampires who eat slaves, which is why Lincoln became an Abolitionist. Oh, and Edgar Allen Poe was REALLY murdered by vampires because he knew too much.
That's the best part, of course. The comments below that video contained one person calling it a stupid hollywood premise, and someone else defending it because "it was a book". Like a book about the 16th president of the United States murdering vampires with an axe is less ridiculous than a movie about it.

The world can always do with more of the Ninja-Pirate-Zombie-Robot mindset.
Think of it like Sim City, except with rival mayors that seek to destroy your citizens by arming legions of homeless people and sending them to attack you.
Gat HQ (Sigtext)
++U+U++ // ,.,.@UUUUUUUU

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #3411 on: February 13, 2012, 11:27:38 pm »

I, for one, welcome any attempt to make vampires less sparkly and effeminate. Especially if they have sweet 1800's beards and villainous mustaches.

...I need to find this book.

EDIT: I have now requested it from my library. The following is the summary, verbatim.

Indiana, 1818. Moonlight falls through the dense woods that surround a one-room cabin, where a nine-year-old Abraham Lincoln kneels at his suffering mother's bedside. She's been stricken with something the old-timers call "Milk Sickness." "My baby boy..." she whispers before dying. Only later will the grieving Abe learn that his mother's fatal affliction was actually the work of a vampire. When the truth becomes known to youngLincoln, he writes in his journal, " henceforth my life shall be one of rigorous study and devotion. I shall become a master of mind and body. And this mastery shall have but one purpose ..." Gifted with his legendary height, strength, and skill with an ax, Abe sets out on a path of vengeance that will lead him all the way to the White House.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2012, 11:30:17 pm by monk12 »

Gatleos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Someone Sig This
« Reply #3412 on: February 13, 2012, 11:31:54 pm »

I, for one, welcome any attempt to make vampires less sparkly and effeminate. Especially if they have sweet 1800's beards and villainous mustaches.

...I need to find this book.
The non-sparkly vampires help too, of course. I'm sure Tim Burton did a good job of that, though you can't really make out any vampires in the trailer.

Wait... have we ever had any kind of Vampire Hunter RtD? We may wanna get on that.
Gat HQ (Sigtext)
++U+U++ // ,.,.@UUUUUUUU

SeriousConcentrate

• Bay Watcher
  • The Hollow Street Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #3413 on: February 13, 2012, 11:41:12 pm »

I believe a while back in this thread I suggested the idea of a Megaman-like Deathmatch RTD, where the players are all themed robots fighting to become the last man standing. Would anyone be interested in that? The only real mechanics I have in mind at the moment are that if you strike the finishing blow on another player, you get their power, and that powers would do one of a few things, like Leaf Man and Skull Man had shields, Heat Man's blast could be charged up for extra power, that sort of thing.
SerCon Shorts: This Is How You Do It - Twenty-three one minute or less videos of random stupidity in AC:U, Bloodborne, DS2:SotFS, Salt & Sanctuary, and The Witcher 3.

Gatleos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Someone Sig This
« Reply #3414 on: February 13, 2012, 11:47:30 pm »

The only problem I can see with that is Unstable Equilibrium. As soon as one player steals another's powers, that player is almost certain to win due to now having two powers. The only reason it works well in Megaman is because it's single player.

Would players make their own powers, or choose from a list of every power in every Megaman game?
Gat HQ (Sigtext)
++U+U++ // ,.,.@UUUUUUUU

SeriousConcentrate

• Bay Watcher
  • The Hollow Street Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #3415 on: February 13, 2012, 11:50:58 pm »

My idea was that it would be a ladder style tournament, so that way everyone fighting each other would always have an equal amount of powers. (I could probably run a few matches at the same time, so it wouldn't be boring for everyone not currently fighting.) Players could make their own, probably from a keyword and a type (like Heat / Shield, Heat / Charge, Heat / Blast sort of thing). The thing is, I don't know if when players kill another player with multiple powers, should they get all of them, choose one, or just get that player's default power?

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #3416 on: February 13, 2012, 11:56:25 pm »

A ladder style tournament is interesting, especially since it means you can get a lot of players in the game without having to do actions for them all every single round. I'd recommend making hp totals low in the early rounds (to move the game along at a good clip,) and increasing in each subsequent step of the tournament (to emphasize skill and mitigate luck as the game goes on.) I'd think "choose one" would be most fair to the player, and keep them from being overburdened with tons of powers. The trick would be balancing the powers against one another.

Sounds cool, all in all.

SeriousConcentrate

• Bay Watcher
  • The Hollow Street Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #3417 on: February 13, 2012, 11:59:17 pm »

I think a good way to help that along is, once I have all the players in, I would do a few secret rolls to see whose power is strongest against who. That way it could also be a come from behind victory at the end when one player decides to give Bubble Lead one last shot and it actually deals massive damage to the opponent. Powers would by default do more than the standard damage, of course... unless the target was strong against it. ^^^

Powder Miner

• Bay Watcher
  • this avatar is years irrelevant again oh god oh f-
    • View Profile
« Reply #3418 on: February 14, 2012, 12:18:24 am »

I have a weird-!@# probably unviable idea- Make an RTD where for each encounter players have to remix the words in their actions for that encounter, (adding prepositions articles pronouns etc is allowed)

I punch the guy and then shoot him with my shotgun!

then when the shotgun turns sentient

I punch my shotgun and the shoot it with the guy!

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #3419 on: February 14, 2012, 12:52:18 am »

Indiana, 1818. Moonlight falls through the dense woods that surround a one-room cabin, where a nine-year-old Abraham Lincoln kneels at his suffering mother's bedside. She's been stricken with something the old-timers call "Milk Sickness." "My baby boy..." she whispers before dying. Only later will the grieving Abe learn that his mother's fatal affliction was actually the work of a vampire. When the truth becomes known to youngLincoln, he writes in his journal, " henceforth my life shall be one of rigorous study and devotion. I shall become a master of mind and body. And this mastery shall have but one purpose ..." Gifted with his legendary height, strength, and skill with an ax, Abe sets out on a path of vengeance that will lead him all the way to the White House.
Well now I might need to read the book too. This also answers my question about whether Abe himself was a vampire or what, since he was clearly doing some unusual stuff in that trailer.

Megaman-like Deathmatch RTD
Deathmatches just don't appeal to me, personally. Too limited, linear, and brief.

I have a weird-!@# probably unviable idea- Make an RTD where for each encounter players have to remix the words in their actions for that encounter, (adding prepositions articles pronouns etc is allowed)
Indeed sounds inviable and weird. Most of it would probably just be swapping around who's doing the what, like in your Shotgun -> Guy, Guy -> Shotgun example.
Pages: 1 ... 226 227 [228] 229 230 ... 661