Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 245 246 [247] 248 249 ... 661

Author Topic: Roller's Block (RTD Brainstorming Thread) (HAPPY LATE BIRTHDAY) (Derm is 5k)  (Read 702640 times)

Aninimouse

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Roller's Block (RTD Brainstorming Thread)
« Reply #3690 on: March 15, 2012, 04:45:20 pm »

My last question managed to get itself buried in the thread, so:

Spoiler: In regards to this: (click to show/hide)

I was going to go for the classic 'Players are Adventurers', but does anyone else have any better ideas that they'd think would be more fun, given the setting?
He'd killed a man before one time, with his bare hands, and he could do it again, if he put something in his bare hands like a knife or a gun or something that he could kill somebody with.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #3691 on: March 15, 2012, 04:47:03 pm »

Wrong colour.

...Not if you... Erh... See it like, uhm, since it doesn't reflect anything, all colours kind off stay in there... Or something.
Love, scriver~

Dermonster

• Bay Watcher
  • Break the world, see what falls out.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3692 on: March 15, 2012, 04:55:00 pm »

Black is lack of color. White is all the color.
I can do anything I want, as long as I accept the consequences.
"Y'know, my favorite thing about being a hero is that it gives you all kinds of narrative justification to just slay any ol' jerk who gets in the way - Black Mage.
"The bulk of [Derm]'s atrocities seem to stem from him doing things that [Magic] doesn't actually do." - TvTropes
"Dammit Derm!" - You, if I'm doing it right.
Moved to SufficientVelocity / Spacebattles.

Gatleos

• Bay Watcher
  • Mournhold... City of Light... City of MAGIC!
    • View Profile
    • Someone Sig This
« Reply #3693 on: March 15, 2012, 06:19:14 pm »

Sweet Sankis, I already have 8 pre-ins! Looks like that special waitlist format I was working on will be used after all...
Think of it like Sim City, except with rival mayors that seek to destroy your citizens by arming legions of homeless people and sending them to attack you.
Quote from: Moonshadow101
it would be funny to see babies spontaneously combust
Gat HQ (Sigtext)
++U+U++ // ,.,.@UUUUUUUU

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3694 on: March 15, 2012, 06:20:30 pm »

You guys are gonna love the special waitlist format.

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #3695 on: March 15, 2012, 06:26:39 pm »

* Monk is INterested in special waitlist format

* Monk cares not for rainbows, for they lack the heady sense of self importance associated with the third person!

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3696 on: March 15, 2012, 09:45:40 pm »

* Yoink is saddened by his lack of internet time currently, but shall still claim a waitlist spot in Gat's RtD!

Also. I actually did some work on my RtD the other day. Yes, really. It's like that episode of South Park where Kenny's on life support, with Blacktree Trail as Kenny and all the great RtD ideas in my head taking the roll of Cartman.
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #3697 on: March 15, 2012, 09:48:42 pm »

You guys are gonna love the special waitlist format.

You're right, I do.

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #3698 on: March 15, 2012, 11:02:02 pm »

Roll to Survive Ninja School!

Players are all enrolled in Ninja School (not necessarily by choice) where they must learn to become deadly assassins of the night through study with the Ninja Masters, passing random challenges (both physical and mental,) and of course, murdering other students for fun and profit.

Flavor 1) Coop, ninja school is organized into teams where each team must put aside their difference and pool their assorted abilities to outwit and outfight the other teams. Only one team gets to graduate, and there exist both formal deathmatches and your classic "bathroom break" ambush scenarios. Optionally, as players die, they are replaced by the weakest members of larger teams (thus allowing waitlisters to cycle in believably.)

Flavor 2) Competitive, every man for himself, shifting alliance backstabbery goodness. One ninja graduates, every day the bottom 2 ninjas who did worst at the day's tasks are forced to fight to the death.

Each day is divided into several phases, themselves divided into however many turns are necessary to resolve player action. Assuming any kind of competitiveness, players get 2 actions- a Public Action they post in thread, and a Secret Action they PM to the GM. Secret Actions are only known to the other players if their effects are discovered, either due to terrible failure or the efforts of the intended target. Players should PROBABLY get some kind of reward if they don't indulge in a Secret Action, otherwise all actions should be secret in a competitive format.

General day outline:

Breakfast- Ninja Free Time! Ninjas may eat (restoring HPs assuming none of the other ninjas poisons them,) train (small skill/stat gain,) meditate (charge/recharge ability,) or attack another Ninja (stealthily or directly.) More social Ninjas may also gather information on rival classmates, learning their weaknesses, abilities, loyalties, and so on (obviously more likely to happen in the Coop variant.) If they can think of something else to do, they are of course welcome. Ninja Free Time is unstructured, meaning no Ninja Masters are present to intervene in student conflicts.

Morning Lesson- Ninjas are taught a lesson by a Ninja Master, which mechanically translates to automatic skill/ability gain. Ninjas may attempt to assassinate one another, but if caught by the Ninja Master they will be disciplined. All's fair if they get away with it, though.

Midday Break- Ninja Free Time! Same as Breakfast.

Afternoon Challenge- Ninjas are taught another lesson by a Ninja Master, but whereas the Morning Lesson is more of a lecture format, the Afternoon Challenge is, shall we say, more interactive. As in "Today's Lesson is DOOOOOOOOOOOOOODGE!" Depending on the challenge, players may be rewarded with additional skill/ability/stat gain, although commonly mere survival is considered reward enough.

Evening Meal- Ninja Free Time! You get the idea.

Evening Challenge- Depending on flavor, some kind of formal competition takes place. Coop has the Team competing against another (or all other) teams in a variety of challenges ranging from Deathmatch, CTF, peasant-murdering sprees, or whatever, ideally themed according to the day's Lesson/Challenge setpieces. Competitive has the aforementioned Elimination round of the bottom 2 students- uninvolved Ninjas can use this as Ninja Free Time, except this time they are monitored by stern Ninja Masters.

Night- Ninjas sleep, restoring all HP, recharging all abilities, etc. Ninjas may forgo sleep (and the associated benefits) in exchange for extra Ninja Free Time, traditionally used for assassination but also for sabatoge, spying, exploration of normally forbidden areas, etc. Sleeping Ninjas take significant penalties while asleep, although they always get a roll to detect the intrusion of an enemy Ninja. Ninjas may also place traps/alarms before going to sleep, depending on equipment and ingenuity.

Setting can vary from crazy magic Naruto ninjas to your more mundane "Everyone is Batman/Charles Atlas Superpowers" ninjas. An overarching plot apart from the daily drama of ninja life is also optional, and there are plenty of tropes to draw on for that. Obviously needs a robust skill/ability tree, possibly stats depending on other mechanics, while equipment would probably come courtesy of Ninja Master "generosity" and/or daring raids on the weapons locker. More interesting boobytrap rules would be exciting, as a nice defensive counterpoint to assassinations. The general theme is "whatever you can get away with is legal" as far as the Ninja Masters go.

Semi-Random Tangent- Speaking of interesting waitlist formats, I was thinking of how in a regular RTD, there normally isn't too much waitlist movement just because everything is designed to be challenging-but-survivable. You don't have a new Player of the Week, you have a new Villain of the Week.

What if random waitlisters were secretly the Villain of the Week?

Basically, every boss fight is between one souped up, GM-created Waitlist-controlled character and the PCs. The identity of the boss is kept hidden until the conclusion of the fight, at which point somebody gets to brag. Dunno, I had some more thoughts there but I ran out of steam.

Caellath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3699 on: March 15, 2012, 11:05:51 pm »

TV Tropes Will Ruin Your Life.
"Hey steve." You speak into the air.
>Yes?
"Could you guys also make a hamburger out of this arm when they cut it off? I wanted to eat it just for the sake of tasting it."
>That is horrible and disgusting. It will no doubt set you apart and create fear in your team mates. So of course.

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3700 on: March 15, 2012, 11:08:37 pm »

TV Tropes Will Ruin Your Life.
It's not like nobody knew that.
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

Gatleos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Someone Sig This
« Reply #3701 on: March 16, 2012, 01:06:43 am »

ninjas
I'd be so in this that I'd post in it before you did. In fact, you could say that I...
 8)
Ninja'd you.
I also like the idea of players secretly assassinating each other. The assassin could post a fake action in the thread, then PM their real action to you.
Semi-Random Tangent- Speaking of interesting waitlist formats, I was thinking of how in a regular RTD, there normally isn't too much waitlist movement just because everything is designed to be challenging-but-survivable. You don't have a new Player of the Week, you have a new Villain of the Week.

What if random waitlisters were secretly the Villain of the Week?

Basically, every boss fight is between one souped up, GM-created Waitlist-controlled character and the PCs. The identity of the boss is kept hidden until the conclusion of the fight, at which point somebody gets to brag. Dunno, I had some more thoughts there but I ran out of steam.
I've had this problem a lot, and that's an excellent idea. Normal tabletop games are designed with the players in mind, so that a player dying is a big event in the story and takes a lot of lousy rolls to pull off (unless you've got a Killer GM). With RtD you have a waitlist, but in most even moderately story-heavy ones it's counter-productive to be killing the players off all the time.

That's why audience participation is a good idea to me. They don't even have to be villains, just side characters. The side characters, controlled by other people in the thread, wouldn't be subject to the rules but also wouldn't be able to affect the outcome of the game in a meaningful way (unless the GM wants them to, of course). It's a good way to keep the thread active between turns.

And of course, villain actions would have to be secret. We must pioneer the field of action secrecy in RtDs!
Think of it like Sim City, except with rival mayors that seek to destroy your citizens by arming legions of homeless people and sending them to attack you.
Gat HQ (Sigtext)
++U+U++ // ,.,.@UUUUUUUU

lawastooshort

• Bay Watcher
  • goodness what
    • View Profile
« Reply #3702 on: March 16, 2012, 02:14:01 am »

Yeah I like the sound of that too, monk. Nice.

Gatleos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Someone Sig This
« Reply #3703 on: March 16, 2012, 04:08:00 am »

This barroom brawl is turning into some kind of horrible social experiment, with people forming uneasy alliances and brutally murdering each other without knowledge of who is who. We need more mafia-esque situations like this. :P
Gat HQ (Sigtext)
++U+U++ // ,.,.@UUUUUUUU

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #3704 on: March 16, 2012, 05:15:24 pm »

That's why audience participation is a good idea to me. They don't even have to be villains, just side characters. The side characters, controlled by other people in the thread, wouldn't be subject to the rules but also wouldn't be able to affect the outcome of the game in a meaningful way (unless the GM wants them to, of course). It's a good way to keep the thread active between turns.
Oooooh, I like this idea. I may have to work it into whatever my next game ends up being.

This barroom brawl is turning into some kind of horrible social experiment, with people forming uneasy alliances and brutally murdering each other without knowledge of who is who. We need more mafia-esque situations like this. :P
I also approve.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.
Pages: 1 ... 245 246 [247] 248 249 ... 661