Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 249 250 [251] 252 253 ... 661

Author Topic: Roller's Block (RTD Brainstorming Thread) (HAPPY LATE BIRTHDAY) (Derm is 5k)  (Read 674215 times)

Caellath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Roller's Block (RTD Brainstorming Thread)
« Reply #3750 on: March 18, 2012, 10:47:53 pm »

Another thing I would like to point is the matter how much freedom to give players when GM'ing. I like the idea of giving them the tools and getting some nice (and nasty) surprises when they outgambit the GM. For example, the RTD I was going to release before deciding to start with Arcane Steel was a modern setting supernatural RTD, in which the players would either be people armed with conventional weapons (as in assault rifles, pistols) or wielding supernatural powers.
But those powers (divided into mentalist powers - suggestion, mind control, scan; and combat powers - pyrokinesis, telekinesis), would generally rely on the character's vision. I would tell them something along the lines of "it is preferred the wielder to have visual contact with that which they want to affect, as mediunic powers (even most for combat ones) modify reality as the wielder modifies the image of the object in his mind. The quality of the image also affects the outcome"
So that would give some room for some nice invention. If the players could follow the *wink wink nudge nudge*, they would probably get mediunic characters with perks linked to medical practices so they could roughly visualize and break enemies' bones. They could get also get a perk for an awesome photographic memory, which would allow them to set objects on fire or send them flying without the need for mantaining visual contact, only by looking at them once and knowing where they are. Alternatively, they could use binoculars etc.
"Hey steve." You speak into the air.
>Yes?
"Could you guys also make a hamburger out of this arm when they cut it off? I wanted to eat it just for the sake of tasting it."
>That is horrible and disgusting. It will no doubt set you apart and create fear in your team mates. So of course.

Dermonster

• Bay Watcher
  • Break the world, see what falls out.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3751 on: March 18, 2012, 10:50:59 pm »

Once you know once cerebellum, you know them all.

Telekinetic brain puree anyone?
I can do anything I want, as long as I accept the consequences.
"Y'know, my favorite thing about being a hero is that it gives you all kinds of narrative justification to just slay any ol' jerk who gets in the way - Black Mage.
"The bulk of [Derm]'s atrocities seem to stem from him doing things that [Magic] doesn't actually do." - TvTropes
"Dammit Derm!" - You, if I'm doing it right.
Moved to SufficientVelocity / Spacebattles.

Caellath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3752 on: March 18, 2012, 10:54:41 pm »

Yeah, the "quality of the image" stuff was inserted mostly because of the "but all humans are not exactly the same inside!" argument which would (rightfully) arise.
>Yes?
"Could you guys also make a hamburger out of this arm when they cut it off? I wanted to eat it just for the sake of tasting it."
>That is horrible and disgusting. It will no doubt set you apart and create fear in your team mates. So of course.

Talarion

• Bay Watcher
  • Cold as ice.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3753 on: March 19, 2012, 03:58:16 am »

That RTD sounds... interesting. Although I sense most people would be mediunic characters.

Well, atleast, I would, in that.
Fate/Stay Night: OOC thread - Serious talk about the canon characters' bisexuality, gravity rape, Noble Phantasm balance, Tiruin's character level of dumbness versus naivete, how sick and tainted my mind is, linguistics and much more.

What more do you need?

Caellath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3754 on: March 19, 2012, 09:19:32 am »

Well, I had a way of balancing that  :P .
>Yes?

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #3755 on: March 19, 2012, 11:19:43 pm »

Been playin' X-COM.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Oddly enough, I'm not sure I'd want to run a literal X-COM RTD, but a lot of the concepts are intriguing. The research is especially interesting as an advancement mechanic.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3756 on: March 19, 2012, 11:29:13 pm »

Xcom certainly sounds possible. Though chances are either players will get things from the aliens too fast for a traditional Xcom experience or the game will take too long.
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #3757 on: March 19, 2012, 11:38:00 pm »

Well, I would probably alter how research and such works a bit anyway, away from the "Get it once, have it forever" model to something a bit more maintenance-oriented. Among other advantages, that'd make advancement somewhat more flexible, since you can potentially get a death cannon without being able to (feasibly) make more or keep it forever.
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #3758 on: March 20, 2012, 08:00:44 am »

X-Com would also be hard to not make extremely long.  You'd have to either seriously cut down each encounter or just seriously revamp how the game unfolds.  Perhaps less reverse engineering and more "this squad of marines uncovers the alien secrets while killing a bunch of them?"
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
  • Where do we go from here?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3759 on: March 20, 2012, 08:20:17 am »

I wonder if I could tackle an X-Com Rtd.  :P

I know the source well enough.

I'd probably keep the scope fairly small...

*mentally plans massively overblown and convoluted game doomed to epic self destruction*
Dwarmin's fell gaze has fallen upon you. Sadly, Your life and your quest end here, at this sig.

"The hats never coming off."

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #3760 on: March 20, 2012, 09:29:37 am »

One important thing to remember is that the players would have to be able to die. A lot. I mean, otherwise it wouldn't be X-COM.
Love, scriver~

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #3761 on: March 20, 2012, 09:42:10 am »

Hm.  If you felt up to it, it'd work as a stellar hybrid game.  Have the strategic side of the gameplay be handled in the FGR forum as a suggestion game, with the battles being RTDs done here.  There'd be a rotating list of marines, where anyone who dies is eligible to reenlist.

the only other thing you need is alien infiltrators being rooted out in the Mafia board
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #3762 on: March 20, 2012, 02:22:36 pm »

I wonder if I could tackle an X-Com Rtd.  :P

I know the source well enough.

I'd probably keep the scope fairly small...

*mentally plans massively overblown and convoluted game doomed to epic self destruction*
So far so good!

Though, I imagine the default fatality rate might be a bit high for the sorts of RP-heavy games you tend to run.

One important thing to remember is that the players would have to be able to die. A lot. I mean, otherwise it wouldn't be X-COM.
Well, there's still acceptable variance in "a lot." One player every ten turns probably isn't X-COM level canon, but it's still a pretty grueling attrition rate as far as any normal RTD goes, for instance.

Hm.  If you felt up to it, it'd work as a stellar hybrid game.  Have the strategic side of the gameplay be handled in the FGR forum as a suggestion game, with the battles being RTDs done here.  There'd be a rotating list of marines, where anyone who dies is eligible to reenlist.
I dunno, I'd kind of rather have the players able to specialize or dabble in side skills, ie replacing faceless NPC support staff. That'd mostly obviate the need for overarching control. You could even have players get assigned to commander or chief research manager or box tallyer by popular assent! Until they die and are no longer allowed to give advice until they get back in, that is. :D

the only other thing you need is alien infiltrators being rooted out in the Mafia board
Stop making this seem like a good idea.

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3763 on: March 21, 2012, 07:59:23 pm »

So, yeah, I'm currently slowly making Westlands 2, even though I might not run it. I figure I should ask a simple question: Does anyone think it's worth it to put in special attacks for melee character flavor? Or is it a bad idea in some way?

Here's an example of what I've got. I'll likely balance it a bit more once I remember the system I used and/or create a new one, but these are just ideas.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

Caellath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3764 on: March 21, 2012, 09:43:10 pm »

Hmm...I was thinking of making a lighthearted RTD (yes, more than Arcane Steel) and with way less worries about storyline and that kind of thing.
I found the "ninja school" idea good, but then I decided to elaborate in a wacky manner. What about "Roll to be a Badass" or "School of Badass"? The premise is that you are a young (around high school young) member of any kind of badass (knight, necromancer, ninja, pirate...etc) that is thrown into the anachronic soup that the School of Superior Enhancement (School of Badass) is. Your objetive would simply to turn into a right and proper badass, and the various disciplines would be taught by different teachers, with stealth being taught by an assassin, for example (I also thought about leaving the teacher's roles to different players and have them give me their actions so we can have participation without problems about not knowing who is the one doing the updates). Fighting among the students would be cheered on, but killing each other without any permission to do so would be shunned upon.
What do you think? Also, for whoever brought the ninja school idea into play (sorry, I forgot who it was), it would be good to have a thumbs up or down so I won't be trying to steal your thunder even if this is approved by other people.
Thoughts?
« Last Edit: March 21, 2012, 09:53:17 pm by Caellath »
>Yes?
Pages: 1 ... 249 250 [251] 252 253 ... 661