Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 287 288 [289] 290 291 ... 661

Author Topic: Roller's Block (RTD Brainstorming Thread) (HAPPY LATE BIRTHDAY) (Derm is 5k)  (Read 699468 times)

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile

Form: The rolls(d6) determines how good it is. Ability and strenght determined by GM.
Powercore: Roll*2Points(Spread these over abilities). Energy generation:10+5* points. Storage:50+30* points. Health: 20+5*points. (Unstable core: Has a 10 margin on energy produced. For example when a normal core would produce 15, an unstable would produce between 5-25.))
Engine: Roll* Points. Energy use: [Starts at 20. Lowers with 5 for every point invested(Can invest negative points)], Arceleration: [d(10*amount of points invested)-Speed/4], Max speed: 10+20*Points

Weapons stats decided by dividing Roll*3 points among them
    Range: 10*Points invested
    Dam: d(3+Points investedA)+ Points invested B/2     
    Acc: d(3+Points investedA)+ Points invested B/2
    Energy use: 50-2*Points invested
    Misc: Misc (Determined by GM)

Armor: d2+(Roll)
Dodge: d2 + roll

Others: Write up when I meet them/ Whatever the GM thinks.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2012, 12:06:13 pm by 10ebbor10 »

ExKirby

• Bay Watcher
  • A Jump On The Daily Comic Bandwagon.
    • View Profile
    • ExKirby's Generic Randomness

Fun fact: typing up rough ideas helps get the idea of an RTD in your head.

I'm off to start a Pirate RTD.
Derm would be a Half-Minute Hero boss. YOU HAVE 30 SECONDS TO FUCK HIM UP OR HE DOES IT TO THE ENTIRE WORLD!

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio

Let's try that rough idea list thingy.

Stranded in Space As a Captive With a Whole Bunch of Other Captives (shortened to ACAP) :: Start out like a regular space travelling game, bait-and-switch and be plot-captured by a spaceship firing supersonic electronic hyperlight cannonballs. Escape.

You Are A Dicot — You are a newly germinated dicot! :-D Self explanatory. But this is more suggestion-like.

The Liar Game — A PM-heavy game where 1/2 of the players are secretly the 'Gamers' and the others the 'Victims'.
Ex: There is Left, and there is Right. 2 Gamers, 2-4 Victims. The Gamers PM me if they want to trap or not trap their side. They pretend to be Victims. If the Victim either is trapped by you or ascends, you get a point. Also, you could decide to declare that you are a Gamer and swindle... Wait, this sounds like a Mafia game. :| Yes, it does seemto be...

Cartel of the Heavens — The world is composed of: Earth-Sky-Middle Ocean-Another earth. There is a tower connecting the two earths, but it is blocked off by ... something. You are people who live in the Upper Earth, and you may choose to be either a Cartel or an Imperial Flower/Thorn. Cartel member have a two-pronged goal: one, smuggle Upper technology to the more primative, but magical, Underlanders and sell the magic items to the Cartel's 'friends', such as the Thousand Red Banners of Glory and Freedom, and two, find a way to run the blockade reliably at the tower and make more profit. Imperials have two goals too: one, stop the illegal sale of magic items to the various revolutionary or other groups, and two, destroy the tower's blockade and usher in an age of peace and harmony. The technology level is advanced enough for steampunk, cannons, revolvers, motorcycles, but not enough for more modern things, like electricity. This game could tie in with Sky Tower.

Starstruck — A group of friends are struck by a shooting star while roaming the fields and hills. They wake up to realize that each one of them can talk telepathically to each other, and also has some other ability, to be thought up if and when I do this.

The Bottlecap Rebellion — You and your friends have created a way to deliver payloads with bottles, bottlecaps, and lawn grass puree. What will you do with this power?

'Nuther Opening of a'Nuther Show — You and your friends (surprise, surprise) wake up to see that there are hostile-looking robots prowling everywhere outside. You quickly whip up robots yourselves and investigate.

Good Morning Bomb — Run through maze. Find remote. Threaten everyone else into submission/blow up world.

You Are an Airplane Traveller — The perils of airborne travel! Find the correc gate, present the right ticket, find you seat, endure 8888 minutes of boredom, cross Pacific ocean, recover luggage, not be stopped at customs! Phew!
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Any good ideas, folks?

bay12 lower boards IRC:irc.darkmyst.org @ #bay12lb
"Oh, they never lie. They dissemble, evade, prevaricate, confoud, confuse, distract, obscure, subtly misrepresent and willfully misunderstand with what often appears to be a positively gleeful relish ... but they never lie" -- Look To Windward

Caellath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I specially liked one of those, then I forgot which one and why, and now I am confused. Seriously, that is how my mind works.

On other news, you who are part of my Whatever of the Asylum may have realized I died several times over the course of the last days. That is because I have been struck by problems with the plot. Yes, the plot. I was thinking about something to run faster and smoother than Covenant. Then it has turned into a Leviathan. It is not dead yet by the way, it is just me.

And I may create another RtD if I find the time. I have been working on one which would start with all of the players starting on a generic school in a seemingly generic setting full of generic people. Then, after some miniturns making you believe the game was a boring thing about common schoolife, shit would go down, son.

Also, Arena RTD. No, not a common Arena RtD. I was thinking about a very shortlived thread where I would put all of my characters to be picked by people so they could duck it out with several versions of me (meaning my other chars). Why, you ask? Because most of my characters are psycopaths, sociopaths or are simply crazy in other way. Also, it would answer my questions about who is stronger among my online avatars. I know it is not a very good idea, but the carnage would be fun.

EDIT: I remember which one! Stranded in Space As a Captive With a Whole Bunch of Other Captives, because if it was supposed to be creepy and about slowly eroding the sanity of the characters, then it would be awesome.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2012, 10:57:28 pm by Caellath »
"Hey steve." You speak into the air.
>Yes?
"Could you guys also make a hamburger out of this arm when they cut it off? I wanted to eat it just for the sake of tasting it."
>That is horrible and disgusting. It will no doubt set you apart and create fear in your team mates. So of course.

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile

EDIT: I remember which one! Stranded in Space As a Captive With a Whole Bunch of Other Captives, because if it was supposed to be creepy and about slowly eroding the sanity of the characters, then it would be awesome.

Event Horizon, the RTD. That's what I pulled from your post.

Caellath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I also thought about it. And it sounded good.

But the Eldritch Horror would not be needed. The human psyche is weak enough.
>Yes?
"Could you guys also make a hamburger out of this arm when they cut it off? I wanted to eat it just for the sake of tasting it."
>That is horrible and disgusting. It will no doubt set you apart and create fear in your team mates. So of course.

Gatleos

• Bay Watcher
  • Mournhold... City of Light... City of MAGIC!
    • View Profile
    • Someone Sig This

That paranoia scenario in the Space Captives RTD actually reminded me of a very similar plot that could work:

Roll to be The Thing

Not much would have to be changed from the plot of the movie; put the players in a state of isolation in a cold environment, one of them starts out as the Thing and kills off the others one by one while shape-shifting and stealing their identities. It could be round-based, and each round is either a win for the Thing or the Survivors. And we could finally give that "secret action via PM" mechanic a little more exercise!

Just think about an RTD where the player characters themselves might be your enemies in disguise. I really like the idea of a game that induces severe paranoia and distrust amongst the players.
Think of it like Sim City, except with rival mayors that seek to destroy your citizens by arming legions of homeless people and sending them to attack you.
Quote from: Moonshadow101
it would be funny to see babies spontaneously combust
Gat HQ (Sigtext)
++U+U++ // ,.,.@UUUUUUUU

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile

Roll to be The Thing

Not much would have to be changed from the plot of the movie; put the players in a state of isolation in a cold environment, one of them starts out as the Thing and kills off the others one by one while shape-shifting and stealing their identities. It could be round-based, and each round is either a win for the Thing or the Survivors. And we could finally give that "secret action via PM" mechanic a little more exercise!

Just think about an RTD where the player characters themselves might be your enemies in disguise. I really like the idea of a game that induces severe paranoia and distrust amongst the players.
I have totally thought about that before. You'd need a somewhat elaborate setup or preparation for how players are going to figure out who's The Thing and how The Thing is going to counteract that; it certainly wouldn't take Bay12ers long to apply heat to someone's blood.

Also, as long as I'm on the topic, I'm currently torn between two different RTDs. The proper solution would probably be to just refine each system and idea until one or the other came out on top, but I figured I might as well ask here regardless.

Mage Game
The players are aspiring adventurers, presumably mages, who get to run around adventuring. Game world is fairly open-ended but with several major, obvious questlines or features (demonic invasion, war between two kingdoms, etc) for those who are interested or just sort of want some default objective to get railroaded at. Skills are increased through use, and can generally be combined with other skills for increased or different effects. Magic is fairly open-ended and often ends in Fun.

Obvious inspirations/examples would be Arcanum Octet, Arcanum Octet II, Westlands RTD, and the three separate games (first was longest/most successful) I've run in the same style.

Dungeon Keeper/Dwarf Fortress
The players are outcasts, wanted for some heinous crime or infraction. They are therefore left with no choice but to band together and found their own settlement somewhere out in the wilderness, where they must manage the necessities of survival and comfort while weathering attacks by hostile forces. Skills increase through use, and in addition to familiar DF-style crafting and processing jobs, there's several other tasks (scouting, training, researching) that provide various benefits. Incursions by marauding forces or those seeking the players' downfall would be fairly common, making combat a way of life, and there might end up being an adventure mode to explore or deal with things on a smaller scale. Minions, usually of the current players' type, might also come join if the players are successful and can compensate the new arrival for their fealty.

Obvious inspirations/examples would be Dungeon Keeper RPG, Cobalt Fortress, Fortress Mode 2.0 and 3.0, and probably a few more I can't find.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile

I'm always up for games like Mage Game. Though you might want to have a unique story to keep it from being too generic. Demonic invasion? Yeah, been there done that. War between two kingdoms? Oh come on. I don't think it's been done much but it's still generic as hell.
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio

I think I'm sorta doing a mage-game like thing, TPN. Does it count? :P

RTD mechanics, but on the main boards.

bay12 lower boards IRC:irc.darkmyst.org @ #bay12lb
"Oh, they never lie. They dissemble, evade, prevaricate, confoud, confuse, distract, obscure, subtly misrepresent and willfully misunderstand with what often appears to be a positively gleeful relish ... but they never lie" -- Look To Windward

Gatleos

• Bay Watcher
  • Mournhold... City of Light... City of MAGIC!
    • View Profile
    • Someone Sig This

Mage Game
The players are aspiring adventurers, presumably mages, who get to run around adventuring. Game world is fairly open-ended but with several major, obvious questlines or features (demonic invasion, war between two kingdoms, etc) for those who are interested or just sort of want some default objective to get railroaded at. Skills are increased through use, and can generally be combined with other skills for increased or different effects. Magic is fairly open-ended and often ends in Fun.

Obvious inspirations/examples would be Arcanum Octet, Arcanum Octet II, Westlands RTD, and the three separate games (first was longest/most successful) I've run in the same style.
I've been wanting to start something like this, a game with a really open but structured magic system. All the players develop their own flavor of magic, by focusing on a few types of spells. To further customize and distinguish the players, you could associate elements, feelings, maybe physical totems with them that affect their magical spells in subtle ways. Kind of like an elaboration on that system in THAT REALLY COOL RTD THAT DIED.

One player focuses on Dermaturgy with an aspect of poison and RAGE, and their totem is a scourge whip. So they focus on teleportation and shapeshifting magic, and their spells are typically offensive, associated with poison and cast through cracks of their scourge whip.

Y'know, something like that. Allow players' magic flavor to evolve naturally.
Think of it like Sim City, except with rival mayors that seek to destroy your citizens by arming legions of homeless people and sending them to attack you.
Quote from: Moonshadow101
it would be funny to see babies spontaneously combust
Gat HQ (Sigtext)
++U+U++ // ,.,.@UUUUUUUU

Spinal_Taper

• Bay Watcher
  • The sparkles are because I'm fabulous, of course.
    • View Profile

Sounds cool. I'll pre-in if it comes in.

Caellath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Sounds very nice, especially because it adds flavor to the "freeform magic" idea.

The problem could be alligning your idea about each power and the players'.

I would pre-in if it happened to live. Your God RtD seems to have died by the way.
>Yes?

Dermonster

• Bay Watcher
  • Break the world, see what falls out.
    • View Profile

*Derm senses perk up*

Mage RTD you say?
I can do anything I want, as long as I accept the consequences.
"Y'know, my favorite thing about being a hero is that it gives you all kinds of narrative justification to just slay any ol' jerk who gets in the way - Black Mage.
"The bulk of [Derm]'s atrocities seem to stem from him doing things that [Magic] doesn't actually do." - TvTropes
"Dammit Derm!" - You, if I'm doing it right.
Moved to SufficientVelocity / Spacebattles.

Spinal_Taper

• Bay Watcher
  • The sparkles are because I'm fabulous, of course.
    • View Profile

New idea, kind of inspired by Irony Owls magic one

Street Fighter RTD
Fighting Style
It would develop over the course of the game, and could be based on an in universe school, like shin gouta, which would grant bonuses to experience gained by sparring with someone of that school. Or, you could develop one without it being part of a school, which makes it more adaptable.

Combat would be generic, with stat bonuses and initiative rolls

Strength: Gives a bonus to generic attacks
Dexterity: Gives a bonus to counter attacks
Agility: Gives a bonus to initiative and dodging
Endurance: Gives a bonus to enduring attacks
Spiritual Power: Reduces cooldown on energy based attacks and gives them a bonus

The plot would mostly be you wandering around looking for fights, getting into tournaments and possibly helping out people that you meet. You wouldn't die very easily, you would either have to really piss someone off or fight someone like Akuma.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2012, 11:30:53 am by Spinal_Taper »
Pages: 1 ... 287 288 [289] 290 291 ... 661