Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 288 289 [290] 291 292 ... 661

Author Topic: Roller's Block (RTD Brainstorming Thread) (HAPPY LATE BIRTHDAY) (Derm is 5k)  (Read 702634 times)

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio

• I have posted Cartel.
  • I hope it is satisfactory to the great masters of RTD who reside here.
>.>

bay12 lower boards IRC:irc.darkmyst.org @ #bay12lb
"Oh, they never lie. They dissemble, evade, prevaricate, confoud, confuse, distract, obscure, subtly misrepresent and willfully misunderstand with what often appears to be a positively gleeful relish ... but they never lie" -- Look To Windward

Tsuchigumo550

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Artificer
    • View Profile

Not sure if it's ever been done, but why not a DF themed RtD?

Like, you start in a small little Human hamlet, you get some adventurers together, they adventure, and pretty soon you come across a giant abandoned fortress filled with loot, traps, and death. Classic in that each member faces mostly the same threats, and linear progression is possible.

Next idea of mine was Drone Combat.
This is one that I took from the ashes of my original project, Everlasting Mecha War. It's basically a watered down version where drones, not suits, fight. There's a parts bank and everything. Each "core" has the stats, and generators/weapons give specific stats and roll mods. Each player got one drone and an account, where their cash totals were kept (In a reserved-post list, maybe?) along with any spare parts they didn't want to chunk. Also comes with a "shop" post.) I do intend on launching this next month when school cuts out.

Another one was Existential Nightmare Room- like a half suggestion half RtD hybrid.
Six players are locked in a big, empty room. You don't know anything about it. You know there are things here, but what are they?

Players start by thinking of- what they're wearing, what two things they're carrying, and one object in their IMMEDIATE vicinity. These autosucceed.

After that, players describe objects.
Rolls:
1- Horrible failure capable of creating monsters the human brain cannot even comprehend. While this is lessened at the start, it can get very Lovecraftian in here.

2- Lesser Failure. The object dosen't come out the way you wanted it, it's cursed/evil, or something. It may try to kill you but it won't be super deadly.

3- General Failure- The object comes out mostly the way you imagined it, but it's evil, alive, and (not that) dangerous.

4- Meager Success- The object may lack some of the detail or power of the described object.

5- Total Success- Pretty much anything that won't break the game.

6- Overkill- Overdoing it. Such as conjuring a metal table- this one transforms and has death lasers. These rolls net mostly 2s, but the objects can always be awesome enough to become a 1.

Note that there might be some non-player activity, as in, "Random object has appeared" based on whatever people vote for the most for one day/turn.

It's a self-fueled magic dungeon!
There are words that make the booze plant possible. Just not those words.
Alright you two. Attempt to murder each other. Last one standing gets to participate in the next test.
DIRK: Pelvic thrusts will be my exclamation points.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile

I'd totally play in a magic RTD, but it seems any I get involved in die an early death.
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile

If you die an early death, you need to be more cautious. Let others take damage. If you're planning on using dangerous magic, make sure you have a decent amount of HP.

Alternatively, pick an RTD with a kind GM.
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

Scelly9

• Bay Watcher
  • That crazy long-haired queer liberal communist
    • View Profile

Pansy.
You taste the jug! It is ceramic.
Quote from: Loud Whispers
SUPPORT THE COMMUNIST GAY MOVEMENT!

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile

I think he meant the RTD's themselves die, an altogether more sinister problem.

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile

Damn you all, stop crushing my dreams of a Dungeon Keeper game with comments about how awesome mage games are. D:

I'm always up for games like Mage Game. Though you might want to have a unique story to keep it from being too generic. Demonic invasion? Yeah, been there done that. War between two kingdoms? Oh come on. I don't think it's been done much but it's still generic as hell.
Maybe, but I don't think unique for the sake of uniqueness is a very good idea. A critical waffle shortage requiring everyone to tap dance would certainly be unique, but I don't think it'd be better or more interesting than a demonic invasion or mundane war.

I think I'm sorta doing a mage-game like thing, TPN. Does it count? :P

RTD mechanics, but on the main boards.
Nobody's murdered their friends trying to heal them, killed their friends using a berserk summon, or accidentally split their soul into three separate pieces, so no. :P

Kind of like an elaboration on that system in THAT REALLY COOL RTD THAT DIED.
I actually totally intend to revive that one at some point. Not that intentions count for much, but it's there!
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Gatleos

• Bay Watcher
  • Mournhold... City of Light... City of MAGIC!
    • View Profile
    • Someone Sig This

Perhaps the mages are in an entirely mundane setting and are trying to make bacon, eggs and toast for breakfast? The actual plot would arise entirely from the players screwing up and unleashing the legions of hell or something due to bad rolls.

But the final goal would still be breakfast.
Think of it like Sim City, except with rival mayors that seek to destroy your citizens by arming legions of homeless people and sending them to attack you.
Quote from: Moonshadow101
it would be funny to see babies spontaneously combust
Gat HQ (Sigtext)
++U+U++ // ,.,.@UUUUUUUU

Scelly9

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Perhaps the mages are in an entirely mundane setting and are trying to make bacon, eggs and toast for breakfast? The actual plot would arise entirely from the players screwing up and unleashing the legions of hell or something due to bad rolls.

But the final goal would still be breakfast.
+1+1+1+1+1+1+1

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Pansy.
Fun fact: I did not say that I look for games with a kind GM. Your insult has no base. :P

I think he meant the RTD's themselves die, an altogether more sinister problem.
Yes, I do believe I misread.

Damn you all, stop crushing my dreams of a Dungeon Keeper game with comments about how awesome mage games are. D:
By all means, do what you will. We're not the people who judge your life. ;)

Maybe, but I don't think unique for the sake of uniqueness is a very good idea. A critical waffle shortage requiring everyone to tap dance would certainly be unique, but I don't think it'd be better or more interesting than a demonic invasion or mundane war.
You sure picked a horrifically bad example for what I was trying to say.

I meant something, like, a civil war in hell, civil war in heaven, angelic invasion, stuff like that. It doesn't have to be spectacular, it just has to be somewhat different, because Satan invading the earth has been done again and again. What about God invading the earth? Like the movie Legion except without possessions and far further in the past.

Maybe have multiple gods, and multiple kinds of hells. Instead of demonic invasion, maybe have an invasion of people worshiping the demons? Maybe have a Elder God invasion? It doesn't have to be amazingly different, just different enough that it's not "oh great another one of those types of plots".
« Last Edit: May 08, 2012, 12:41:46 am by Tarran »
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

Scelly9

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Pansy.
Fun fact: I did not say that I look for games with a kind GM. Your insult has no base. :P
Well....Your face has no base!!!
I am so good at insults.Not.

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Hmm, I just had an idea related to the rant above...

Maybe... the Elder Gods are invading Earth. Both heaven and hell separate are too weak to stop them, so they team up. But still they are too weak, so they both call upon the human race to help? Maybe have players as minor demons, minor angels, and human/elves/dwarves/orcs/etc battling increasingly horrific monsters as they either try to please their masters, save their families, or perhaps save the world?

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile

Could be neat. I imagine more people would choose one of the fiendish or celestial options, though.
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

JackoftheBox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

You'll just need to give mortals something to even the odds. Like infernal and celestial beings are ancient, so they start as more powerful than mortals, but have slower skill gains. You could give mortals some kind of a destiny point system, which would give a lot of temporary power when spent, or alter destiny in some way. For example a blow that would kill the character instead misses when destiny point is used, or you gain +x amount to stats/skills for x amount of time, or the rusty sword in the hand of a corpse was a magic weapon instead. This would make playing mortals maybe a bit more interesting.
This morning I found myself looking at the numberplates of the cars on my drive in to work and seeing them as tileset characters in ASCII... a silver Renault I was behind had an interesting scene of a Human wrestling a Minotaur near a bin.

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile

It'd also probably unbalance things more than necessary. I'm more concerned with them being interesting than being powerful.
Pages: 1 ... 288 289 [290] 291 292 ... 661