Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 297 298 [299] 300 301 ... 661

Author Topic: Roller's Block (RTD Brainstorming Thread) (HAPPY LATE BIRTHDAY) (Derm is 5k)  (Read 702148 times)

Caellath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Okay, maybe I'll take that idea.

But .... how? D:
That's always the largest question.
IronyOwl's magic system may be a good one to be used if he accepts it being used, since it is always prone to cause death and funny consequences.

As for setting a fantasy-medieval one, a Crazy Wizard with a Tower, Mansion or Anything Large and Magical Where A Wizard May Hide to house the sociopathic magic-user and by consequence, the player characters. There should also be nearby cities, towns or villages for grocery shopping. And most adventures could be had inside hammerspace rooms inside the Wizard's habitation itself.

If I failed to understand your question and answer it properly, ignore this.
"Hey steve." You speak into the air.
>Yes?
"Could you guys also make a hamburger out of this arm when they cut it off? I wanted to eat it just for the sake of tasting it."
>That is horrible and disgusting. It will no doubt set you apart and create fear in your team mates. So of course.

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio

No, it's what I wanted :P

Hrm... I'm not sure if I should or should not :\

bay12 lower boards IRC:irc.darkmyst.org @ #bay12lb
"Oh, they never lie. They dissemble, evade, prevaricate, confoud, confuse, distract, obscure, subtly misrepresent and willfully misunderstand with what often appears to be a positively gleeful relish ... but they never lie" -- Look To Windward

Caellath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

No, it's what I wanted :P

Hrm... I'm not sure if I should or should not :\
If enough people happened to find the idea interesting, we could always poke IronyOwl.

Or not. I just thought he could find the idea interesting, since it spells "disaster" for the players with magic shenanigans.

What? Are you accusing me of insinuating IronyOwl is a sadistic GM? I am throughly offended.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2012, 06:52:58 pm by Caellath »
>Yes?
"Could you guys also make a hamburger out of this arm when they cut it off? I wanted to eat it just for the sake of tasting it."
>That is horrible and disgusting. It will no doubt set you apart and create fear in your team mates. So of course.

Spinal_Taper

• Bay Watcher
  • The sparkles are because I'm fabulous, of course.
    • View Profile

I had an idea for an RTD. It's almost done, just want some constructive criticism.
World:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

HP, PP and Faith

Attributes

Nemesi and Contacts:

Other:

Also, I would appreciate it if someone would watch the thread, if I ran it, and criticized it.

Criticize me, give me ideas, whatever.

Scelly9

• Bay Watcher
  • That crazy long-haired queer liberal communist
    • View Profile

Where is the RTD IRC located?
You taste the jug! It is ceramic.
Quote from: Loud Whispers
SUPPORT THE COMMUNIST GAY MOVEMENT!

Caellath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Found it after sticking my head into the nearest toilet and calling for it.

freenode l #bay12rtd
>Yes?

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Found it after sticking my head into the nearest toilet and calling for it.

The best part is this sentence makes sense if you're a #B12RTD-er.

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile

I've just had a crazy idea. Not even sure what it'd be called.

Basically, you take one GM, preferably of the ADD sort, and have him make a game.

Then, when he gets tired of it or comes up with a new idea, he just shifts the current characters into the new setup, transferring or translating all their current skills, items, abilities, and so on into the new game.

Ideally, this would result in an extraordinarily silly, utterly fascinating game or series of games, since you might have a character that starts off as a bronze age vampire hunter, transitions into a railroad tycoon, serves a stint as a power-armored space marine, fights Nazis as a supernatural cowboy, and is currently attempting to master the Power of Friendship in order to activate his magic ring and save the world, hopefully hanging on to a few items, skills, or other goodies from each incarnation. Somewhere between Multiworld Madness, what Endless RTD was supposed to be before it became another of Gatleos' Masterpieces, and a very, very, very anachronistic series of mini-games.

As for what the in-game explanation for all this would be, I have no idea, though at the point where a power-armored cowboy is using financial calculations to bring down a cyber-Nazi I'm not sure how much of an issue this really is. Maybe they could be Sliders, randomly or intentionally shifting between dimensions for poorly defined reasons, or maybe someone just let the chaos god out of his box and now the entire universe shifts at random every now and then.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

lawastooshort

• Bay Watcher
  • goodness what
    • View Profile

in-game explanation

Some kind of out of control time-space continuum disrupting artifact that the PCs own or are looking for or something. Nice idea, incidentally.

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile

Well, that sounds both good and bad at the same time.

On one hand, you won't have to worry about getting tired from the universe. And it's always something new.

On the other, you might not want to spend time tediously transferring stuff to the new setup. And players might get too disoriented or they might utterly hate the new universe. For example, if the previous universe was space marines and it transferred to steam punk, I would lose my want to play because I'm just not interested in steam punk.

It seems like the negatives make it so only a small amount of flexible players that will play anything at any time will be able to play without problems.
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile

It seems like the negatives make it so only a small amount of flexible players that will play anything at any time will be able to play without problems.
True, though I'm guessing there'd be more overlap than you'd think. If the same GM that made X decides to do Y, it makes sense that the players of X would be more likely to also like Y as well. In some cases having a character they like and/or the hope of something better down the line might push it over the edge as well.

The transfer stuff probably wouldn't be tedious, as such, since in most cases it'd be more an issue of translation than just copying things over. That can be its own kinds of problems, but I'd assume it'd be more "difficult" or "daunting" than tedious. And "stupidly useless and/or overpowered" in some cases, but that's always one of the main issues with mixing genres.
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile

True, though I'm guessing there'd be more overlap than you'd think. If the same GM that made X decides to do Y, it makes sense that the players of X would be more likely to also like Y as well. In some cases having a character they like and/or the hope of something better down the line might push it over the edge as well.
Though you have to consider that the players don't know how long the phase will last. It's like watching a movie that you don't like with no idea how long it will last. At some point, each player is going to reach his/her limits on how long it's taking versus how good it could be and decide they're not interested anymore.

Anyway, that's besides the point. Just because they're going to continue playing in hopes of it getting better doesn't mean they're not playing without problems. Chances are they'll still upset about the change, no matter how much better it could be. You cannot simply remove the negative emotion with a positive, you can only blanket it temporarily. You have to remove the negative emotion directly.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2012, 05:12:57 am by Tarran »
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

Digital Hellhound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

what Endless RTD was supposed to be before it became another of Gatleos' Masterpieces, and a very, very, very anachronistic series of mini-games.

Hey now, I still have perfect faith that Gat is going to finish his episode at some point and allow me to take the reins and promptly retcon everything he's done.
Russia is simply taking an anti-Fascist stance against European Nazi products, they should be applauded. ¡No parmesan!

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile

Though you have to consider that the players don't know how long the phase will last. It's like watching a movie that you don't like with no idea how long it will last. At some point, each player is going to reach his/her limits on how long it's taking versus how good it could be and decide they're not interested anymore.

Anyway, that's besides the point. Just because they're going to continue playing in hopes of it getting better doesn't mean they're not playing without problems. Chances are they'll still upset about the change, no matter how much better it could be. You cannot simply remove the negative emotion with a positive, you can only blanket it temporarily. You have to remove the negative emotion directly.
There's a lot of middle ground between loving something and wanting it to continue forever and hating it and wishing it would end. Not everyone who signs up for a steampunk adventure is going to be alright with building a scifi theme park, but a fair number of people who wouldn't bother to sign up for a scifi theme park will keep playing and enjoying themselves so long as they're already there and using a character they like.

The number of people who are going to burn out immediately, or hang on but be horribly grouchy about it, probably wouldn't be that great. The number who would slowly lose interest or enjoyment might be a bit higher, but I wouldn't think that'd be too bad either.

Caellath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I would play IronyOwl's Setting-Changing game up to the point he considered or tried to make every player character wear frilly dresses. Then I would quit.
>Yes?
Pages: 1 ... 297 298 [299] 300 301 ... 661