Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 315 316 [317] 318 319 ... 661

Author Topic: Roller's Block (RTD Brainstorming Thread) (HAPPY LATE BIRTHDAY) (Derm is 5k)  (Read 702385 times)

lawastooshort

• Bay Watcher
  • goodness what
    • View Profile
Re: Roller's Block (RTD Brainstorming Thread) (Lawas knows where I live)
« Reply #4740 on: July 02, 2012, 03:16:06 am »

Ooh, an RTD where players manage rival 'Mail-Order zombie brides' businesses!

Tell me more?

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4741 on: July 02, 2012, 03:22:41 am »

You need more?! That one sentence is already pure gold.
Seriously, if you could mine it out of your computer monitor you could keep yourself in gnomeblight and reindeers til .12 is released. :P
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

lawastooshort

• Bay Watcher
  • goodness what
    • View Profile
« Reply #4742 on: July 02, 2012, 03:34:57 am »

You need more?!

Want, yes. Would there be a plot, or would it just be a vs kind of thing? I suppose that would actually work ok, there could be PvP things going on, zombie-bride sabotaging and suchlike.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4743 on: July 02, 2012, 03:44:08 am »

I suppose the players could be resourceful survivors of an apocalypse, (which only affected a single continent or something) making the most of their unpleasant situation. They would have to overcome such obstacles as sourcing contact lenses to cover up those glassy eyes, getting botox to work on a living corpse, finding clothes that compliment the pallid, sickly skin without looking too 'gothy' and intimidating, and of course how best to pack the brides for a long, overseas flight... Not to mention getting them through customs at their destination.
I'm guessing freezing them would be best. :P
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

lawastooshort

• Bay Watcher
  • goodness what
    • View Profile
« Reply #4744 on: July 02, 2012, 03:50:13 am »

If I ran it I would make sure someone had their arm ripped off by a terrible zombie mail order bride preparation accident by turn two. I'm in a slightly bad mood today and hope it doesn't effect my next turn write-up too much.

Anyway, I would play a Roll to Rival Zombie Mail Order Bride Services game but certainly don't have the mental capacity to consider making it right now.

I'd still like to run Roll to Minstrel when my deathmatch is finished but I'm much more in the mood for some kind of game with arms being ripped off right now.

Noodlerex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4745 on: July 02, 2012, 03:55:50 am »

So a small idea has been forming in my mind and I think it's about time I write it down somewhere, but before I make up a huge/complex system for it would anyone be interested in roll to mutagen? It basically involves players which are test subjects doing contracts for a mysterious organisation in return for upgrades to their different mutations/cybernetic implants. Would anyone be interested, if so I'll start doing all the technical stuff now.

lawastooshort

• Bay Watcher
  • goodness what
    • View Profile
« Reply #4746 on: July 02, 2012, 04:02:02 am »

I think I could be interested dependent on the tone and complexity, Noodlerex.

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4747 on: July 02, 2012, 05:41:45 am »

I had an idea that I have talked about on IRC (but for the everloving flying fuck I can't remember with whom). Basically, the characters are permanent, and whenever one of them "dies" their player gets replaced with the next guy on the waitlist (provided they want to, they could also hold out for a different character to die). The players would, effectively, switch around characters during the entire game.

It also prevents those awkward situations where you have to find a tavern so that you can conveniently find a new adventurer who just happens to be interested in joining.

lawastooshort

• Bay Watcher
  • goodness what
    • View Profile
« Reply #4748 on: July 02, 2012, 05:44:20 am »

How would you make that work / explain the death into undeath?

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #4749 on: July 02, 2012, 06:28:46 am »

I had an idea that I have talked about on IRC (but for the everloving flying fuck I can't remember with whom). Basically, the characters are permanent, and whenever one of them "dies" their player gets replaced with the next guy on the waitlist (provided they want to, they could also hold out for a different character to die). The players would, effectively, switch around characters during the entire game.

It also prevents those awkward situations where you have to find a tavern so that you can conveniently find a new adventurer who just happens to be interested in joining.

Roll to dodge Amnesia?

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4750 on: July 02, 2012, 09:12:59 am »

How would you make that work / explain the death into undeath?
They either don't actually die or they come back to life. Hence the quotes.

Roll to dodge Amnesia?
óO

Dermonster

• Bay Watcher
  • Break the world, see what falls out.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4751 on: July 02, 2012, 09:50:07 am »

Roll to M(ultiple)P(ersonality)D(isorder).
I can do anything I want, as long as I accept the consequences.
"Y'know, my favorite thing about being a hero is that it gives you all kinds of narrative justification to just slay any ol' jerk who gets in the way - Black Mage.
"The bulk of [Derm]'s atrocities seem to stem from him doing things that [Magic] doesn't actually do." - TvTropes
"Dammit Derm!" - You, if I'm doing it right.
Moved to SufficientVelocity / Spacebattles.

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #4752 on: July 02, 2012, 12:54:15 pm »

Interesting, but probably suffers from a few problems regarding character direction and desirability. Like, suppose a mage controlled by derm had a near-death experience and was suddenly controlled by me- he'd go from incinerating everything at the drop of a hat to being a kleptomaniacal golemmaker with a lot of patience and curiosity.

Similarly, some people are going to want to play some characters a lot more than others. Figuring out how to build them in the first place is similarly an issue.

On the bright side, of course, you could totally let the audience make suggestions/control bad guys/otherwise attempt to screw over the party with no reservations whatsoever. They're not being dicks, they're just earning their turn. :P
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4753 on: July 02, 2012, 01:07:43 pm »

Interesting, but probably suffers from a few problems regarding character direction and desirability. Like, suppose a mage controlled by derm had a near-death experience and was suddenly controlled by me- he'd go from incinerating everything at the drop of a hat to being a kleptomaniacal golemmaker with a lot of patience and curiosity.
Well there's in-character and there's out-of-character, so if you get a character played by Derm you should play him like Derm.
No wait that's a stupid idea we don't want to break the setting do we.

Similarly, some people are going to want to play some characters a lot more than others. Figuring out how to build them in the first place is similarly an issue.
I was thinking about that and thought that maybe during character creation the GM could just mix up the character traits a little, like take a trait from one character and put it on another and so on. That way, everybody will be disappointed!

Also I pondered on giving characters traits, depending on their actions. Kinda like Alpha Protocol, except they mostly don't give actual benefits and only serve for a constant characterisation.

On the bright side, of course, you could totally let the audience make suggestions/control bad guys/otherwise attempt to screw over the party with no reservations whatsoever. They're not being dicks, they're just earning their turn. :P
Both, actually. Because why not combine dickishness with productivity? Of course GM-discretion would be required, because having Trogdor show up and beat everybody up is kinda boring and lame.

Wait did I really claim that? Damn.

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #4754 on: July 02, 2012, 01:16:51 pm »

Well there's in-character and there's out-of-character, so if you get a character played by Derm you should play him like Derm.
No wait that's a stupid idea we don't want to break the setting do we.
Disruptive examples aside, there's probably going to be considerably less interest in playing a prefab character the way a prefab character's supposed to be played. You could possibly get away with a bit more by basing the characters on simple, solid, easily explained archetypes, possibly modified by different interpretations or events (ie "Noble Paladin" could go several different ways, depending on player, happenstance, and common perception), but that'd still have some issues.

I was thinking about that and thought that maybe during character creation the GM could just mix up the character traits a little, like take a trait from one character and put it on another and so on. That way, everybody will be disappointed!

Also I pondered on giving characters traits, depending on their actions. Kinda like Alpha Protocol, except they mostly don't give actual benefits and only serve for a constant characterisation.
If you need to resort to that, you should probably just make them bland/defaulted from the start. Not that mixing up traits a little couldn't make things interesting, but I'm not sure if being specific is a good thing in this case.

I like the traits idea, but I'd say giving them mechanical effects would be better. In some cases, at least. Gotta give them some RPG progression or there's even less motivation to play, since you wouldn't even get to make that much of a mark on the character/world otherwise.

Of course GM-discretion would be required, because having Trogdor show up and beat everybody up is kinda boring and lame.
Obviously.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.
Pages: 1 ... 315 316 [317] 318 319 ... 661