Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 332 333 [334] 335 336 ... 661

Author Topic: Roller's Block (RTD Brainstorming Thread) (HAPPY LATE BIRTHDAY) (Derm is 5k)  (Read 702620 times)

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile
Re: Roller's Block (RTD Brainstorming Thread) (Lawas knows where I live)
« Reply #4995 on: August 05, 2012, 04:22:44 am »

It would be pointless. It's extremely easy for a person to copy and paste their favorite RTD system and tweak it a little bit, so it's basically done already.
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

lawastooshort

• Bay Watcher
  • goodness what
    • View Profile
« Reply #4996 on: August 05, 2012, 05:20:16 am »

assuming I can get by without knowledge of the source material.

Yes.

It sounds fun! I'm not sure I could pull off a decent priest RP-wise, but I'd sure give it a shot. :)

I don't think you'd need to do a decent priest.

Anyway, I have noted your interests and am busily thinking away about structure and stuff.

ExKirby

• Bay Watcher
  • A Jump On The Daily Comic Bandwagon.
    • View Profile
    • ExKirby's Generic Randomness
« Reply #4997 on: August 05, 2012, 07:56:47 am »

This might be a stupid idea, but what if we created a unified RTD system for the heck of it? Something beyond just rolling 1d6 plus the occasional modifier?
As the resident master of good(?) ideas, I say we do this ASAP.
Derm would be a Half-Minute Hero boss. YOU HAVE 30 SECONDS TO FUCK HIM UP OR HE DOES IT TO THE ENTIRE WORLD!

Digital Hellhound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4998 on: August 05, 2012, 08:00:17 am »

Ehh. I think a showcase of different RTD systems would be a better idea. People new to RTDs might think they need to use that specific one even if another would suit their purposes better.
Russia is simply taking an anti-Fascist stance against European Nazi products, they should be applauded. ¡No parmesan!

Remalle

• Bay Watcher
  • they/them
    • View Profile
« Reply #4999 on: August 05, 2012, 01:01:37 pm »

I would love to help write a unified system, but I probably wouldn't use it.
Also, post 4999!  This is what's called an assist.

Dermonster

• Bay Watcher
  • Break the world, see what falls out.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5000 on: August 05, 2012, 01:04:49 pm »

We already have a unified system. It's just the basic D6.

What you're all doing is extending it. There's no need to really make a standard when there already is one and people just modify it anyway to suit their needs.

5k get
I can do anything I want, as long as I accept the consequences.
"Y'know, my favorite thing about being a hero is that it gives you all kinds of narrative justification to just slay any ol' jerk who gets in the way - Black Mage.
"The bulk of [Derm]'s atrocities seem to stem from him doing things that [Magic] doesn't actually do." - TvTropes
"Dammit Derm!" - You, if I'm doing it right.
Moved to SufficientVelocity / Spacebattles.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #5001 on: August 05, 2012, 01:20:41 pm »

(As mentioned before, I had some plans for an X-COM forum game. (That's right, no RTD, but the Forum games equivalent of roller's block didn't work out so I'm posting the idea here.)

Players are divided in two teams of three people each. One side plays as the aliens, the other side as secret organisations who have studied alien incursions for years. The exploratory time however, is over, and the invasion is about to start.
Spoiler: Earth (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Turn order (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Missions (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Bases and buildings (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Resources (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Tech tree (click to show/hide)

Remalle

• Bay Watcher
  • they/them
    • View Profile
« Reply #5002 on: August 05, 2012, 01:47:57 pm »

An X-COM forum game sounds amazing, and I want in.  But will there be tactical combat missions?  Even with abstracted mechanics?

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #5003 on: August 05, 2012, 01:56:12 pm »

An X-COM forum game sounds amazing, and I want in.  But will there be tactical combat missions?  Even with abstracted mechanics?
If I'm going to run it. No. I have a game/semi going where a similair system is in place, and it is quite a lot to update, and over the past half-3/4 year we haven't even finished turn one

Digital Hellhound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5004 on: August 05, 2012, 02:04:03 pm »

Half a year? How have you managed a system like that?
Russia is simply taking an anti-Fascist stance against European Nazi products, they should be applauded. ¡No parmesan!

Caellath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5005 on: August 05, 2012, 02:12:00 pm »

Ebbor is a master of complicated yet logical systems.
"Hey steve." You speak into the air.
>Yes?
"Could you guys also make a hamburger out of this arm when they cut it off? I wanted to eat it just for the sake of tasting it."
>That is horrible and disgusting. It will no doubt set you apart and create fear in your team mates. So of course.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #5006 on: August 05, 2012, 02:18:13 pm »

Half a year? How have you managed a system like that?
Note that not the entire delay is to be blamed on the system. A part of it is also me not updating. (Mostly due to the complexity of the system).

Actually, know that I think of it, I got several of those way to complicated games. It's no good when you break the character limit on a numbers based game. The reason they become so complicated is that they make up rules as I go along.

To be fair, that isn't the calculation used in game, but what happens when you solve it for X. (Note to self: Should update that game).
« Last Edit: August 05, 2012, 02:23:49 pm by 10ebbor10 »

ExKirby

• Bay Watcher
  • A Jump On The Daily Comic Bandwagon.
    • View Profile
    • ExKirby's Generic Randomness
Derm would be a Half-Minute Hero boss. YOU HAVE 30 SECONDS TO FUCK HIM UP OR HE DOES IT TO THE ENTIRE WORLD!

Dermonster

• Bay Watcher
  • Break the world, see what falls out.
    • View Profile

Bwuh?

:D
I can do anything I want, as long as I accept the consequences.
"Y'know, my favorite thing about being a hero is that it gives you all kinds of narrative justification to just slay any ol' jerk who gets in the way - Black Mage.
"The bulk of [Derm]'s atrocities seem to stem from him doing things that [Magic] doesn't actually do." - TvTropes
"Dammit Derm!" - You, if I'm doing it right.
Moved to SufficientVelocity / Spacebattles.

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #5009 on: August 05, 2012, 02:27:48 pm »

We already have a unified system. It's just the basic D6.

What you're all doing is extending it. There's no need to really make a standard when there already is one and people just modify it anyway to suit their needs.

5k get
This is a surprisingly insightful, high-quality 5000th post. I approve.

(As mentioned before, I had some plans for an X-COM forum game. (That's right, no RTD, but the Forum games equivalent of roller's block didn't work out so I'm posting the idea here.)
Do you have any ideas on specifics yet? How to calculate resources gained, what affects a mission's chances of success and by how much, and so on?
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.
Pages: 1 ... 332 333 [334] 335 336 ... 661