Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 360 361 [362] 363 364 ... 661

Author Topic: Roller's Block (RTD Brainstorming Thread) (HAPPY LATE BIRTHDAY) (Derm is 5k)  (Read 702484 times)

Digital Hellhound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

1. Neither, strictly speaking. I prefer open-ended RTDs with a clear goal, but without railroading to force following it. I think I'd lean more towards the former, though.

2. Ooh, this is tricky. I don't think I've ever actually been a player in the former though most of my own games are like that. As such, I really don't know.

3. I think clear rules, but the middleground is best here - specific rules for some things, but with a general flexible system behind it.

4. Roleplay and story, definitely.
Russia is simply taking an anti-Fascist stance against European Nazi products, they should be applauded. ¡No parmesan!

Dermonster

• Bay Watcher
  • Break the world, see what falls out.
    • View Profile

1. First one.
2. I could go either way, really.
3. Abstract rules. I like the concept of not being limited by pesky mana when the warrior isn't limited by stamina in particular.
4. Action and story. I'm not good at roleplay and generally don't actually do much of it when it pops up and I generally mark my teammates as 'future casualties' at all times.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2012, 10:29:46 am by dermonster »
I can do anything I want, as long as I accept the consequences.
"Y'know, my favorite thing about being a hero is that it gives you all kinds of narrative justification to just slay any ol' jerk who gets in the way - Black Mage.
"The bulk of [Derm]'s atrocities seem to stem from him doing things that [Magic] doesn't actually do." - TvTropes
"Dammit Derm!" - You, if I'm doing it right.
Moved to SufficientVelocity / Spacebattles.

tomas1297

• Bay Watcher
  • Lack of originality.
    • View Profile

3. I think clear rules, but the middleground is best here - specific rules for some things, but with a general flexible system behind it.

You make it sound so simple.

Well, I keep changing my mind quickly so instead I will now try to make the much-demanded sequel to The Ritual. For those that haven't played it, it was a play-by-PM pure PvP RTD. It didn't last long, but did end conclusively, because of it's nature - players murdering players in quick paced combat, no wait list so we could have a winner in the end (Tiruin won, though it really surprised me).
 And since I have experience with this specific RTD already, I know exactly what I want to change. Mainly, streamlining. Due to the fast pace, a lot of features didn't come into play, so I'm removing them rather than making the pace slower. I did like the idea of a quick PvP. Sort of a repeating arena game. Since there is no wait list, you can have winners, since it ends fast, everyone can try the game (considering I will make sequels). Also on streamlining, I tried to make a competitive PVP arena game have player interaction that didn't include murdering people, but it sort of failed, so I will no longer try to disguise it as something other than what it is - a pure PvP game. That was like adding a roleplay server to a DotA type game.
 Also, 8 players, since the number declines fast anyway (when you don't allow new players after the games starts) and playing by PM isn't as hard as I thought. Perhaps 4 teams of 2 instead of free-for all? That could be interesting.
 And I see you prefer story-heavy games, but I sort of feel like The Ritual was something that pleased a minority and should exist just so there was something that the mentioned minority could really enjoy. Sorry for making a poll that proved useless in the end.
There was a time when cocksuits would have offended me. It's kind of bad that the time has passed.

lawastooshort

• Bay Watcher
  • goodness what
    • View Profile

RTDs with plot lines and clear goals - I prefer having a story. Lack of clear goals seems the worst thing I can do to my games.

RTDs that prioritize player interaction and teamwork? But giving everyone the chance to play a role.

RTDs with clear rule systems - fair, but limited
or
RTDs with abstract rules - not as fair, but more flexible? - depends entirely on the content.

RTDs that prioritize story and action. Or competition if it's something short and quick. Too much RP can be daunting for many, I think but it can also be nice.

I was thinking this morning about an anonymous improvised weapon deathmatch. Each arena would be some everyday setting and players would scavenge for weapons, stating what they wanted to look for. Say, in a house, they might look for a carving knife but end up with a food liquidiser or a broom. And then they'd get bonus points for defeating their enemies in interesting ways.

tomas1297

• Bay Watcher
  • Lack of originality.
    • View Profile

I was thinking this morning about an anonymous improvised weapon deathmatch. Each arena would be some everyday setting and players would scavenge for weapons, stating what they wanted to look for. Say, in a house, they might look for a carving knife but end up with a food liquidiser or a broom. And then they'd get bonus points for defeating their enemies in interesting ways.
Sort of like a B-movie killer arena? Someone should totally run that.
There was a time when cocksuits would have offended me. It's kind of bad that the time has passed.

lawastooshort

• Bay Watcher
  • goodness what
    • View Profile

Sort of, yes. Players would have to describe their attacks using their improvised weapons, and I thought that as well they should do two actions per turn - one described attack and one described defence. For example, you might get a frying pan, and you could smash someone's eyes out as your attack and then er parry with it or something as your defence in case someone attacked you.

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile

Ok, I keep abandoning RTDs before even starting. And I still want to start an RTD, because I will have a lot of free time now and this is the best time to start. So, to get inspiration, I would like to have a small discussion on RTD preferences. So do you prefer:

I've been thinking about different approaches to the games on a design philosophy level and I'm just interested in what the experienced players think. I myself have hosted more RTDs than I have played, so I want to know what the other side thinks.
1: Middle ground. Give the players plot lines and objectives, but let them have some ability to change their path.
2: Middle ground. Don't give each player too much emphasis, but don't make them feel like some sort of blob.
3: As long as it doesn't get in my way, I'm fine with either.
4: Middle ground, leaning towards roleplay.
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

Mr.Zero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

-Snip-

• Open-ended RTDs where you basically just do whatever?
  • RTDs that prioritize the adventures of each individual player.
  • RTDs with abstract rules - not as fair, but more flexible?
  • RTDs that prioritize roleplay and story

Now before i explain these decisions ,i must say this first. Before you make yet another RTD, please see it as a hobby. Not a time filler. Cause when you're low on time guess what happens? The RTD dies. I've made that mistake in the past, but i actually now enjoy writing my fantasy. I enjoy how people like it. I Enjoy to write out the will and actions of the players. I do this cause i enjoy it, not because i have time left. Noting that it is now 1:30 near me and i should be sleeping, but i'm working on my RTD.

You have to dedicate yourself to it.

But to continue.

1. This is a tricky question, but i've thought about it quite a lot. What generally people want is space to develop their character while following quest lines they like doing or think fits their character. If you're good you can fit in a main quest/goal in there, which will affect the world somehow. This doesn't force the players to do it, but if they do it will change something. This boils down to having variety in the world

2. People generally like that the story plays around their character, if they want their character to be working with others then it's no problem. You just adapt. But  when you force people to do teamwork... Well.. That can be tricky and most often leads to having a bad time for the player. Cause maybe they want to be a lone wolf? but they cannot. Cause the game simply forbids them to. So this boils down to choice.

3. I'm not very sure about this, it's described rather vague. IF abstract rules means that you do not show all the rules at the start of the game, then i whole-heartily agree. Cause where's the fun when you know everything? Players like to be surprised, nothing too big or abrupt cause it might destroy their mood. But generally surprises are good. This boils down to surprise.

4. An RTD, in my view. Is a story, a evolving story. Because if you would create an arena RTD, where all you do is constantly fight and fight even more while making your character stronger and stronger... that just sucks. There is nothing that really evolves, no matter how much story you write around it.  It will be cool in the start, but it falls of very quickly. Players like their actions and decisions being narrated,  players like to see that they are changing your world in ways they want it to. If all you do is narrate their victories/defeat every time, then what's the point of playing?

If all you will get is the same stale meat every time, but spiced slightly different. Then.. No thanks. This boils down to Development.

Feel free to ask for more opinions.

« Last Edit: October 27, 2012, 06:45:42 pm by Mr.Zero »
Durrr..

Tsuchigumo550

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Artificer
    • View Profile

I'm thinking about running one of those simplistic arenas but with a sick, sick twist.

You tell me what you want to fight and I roll for just how sadistic the arena mods were that day. Get a one? Ever play Etrian Odyssey? Yes? Remember the FOEs? No? Imagine level 100 Garchomp appearing on the first route in a pokemon game.

Rewards will likely be thematic and more useful weaponry and clothing (has an effect in battle/changes something/chance of something)

On a list of rolls:
1. You fight a FOE. You aren't going to live. Just stand still and make it go by quicker.
2.You fight something just under FOE level. Maybe you'll get lucky.
3. You fight something about what you wanted, maybe stronger maybe not.
4.Pretty much what you wanted
5.You fight something at your level that will be better than what you were going to fight prize wise
6. You fight something close to a FOE.

Gladiator McUrist says he wants to fight a wolf.
1: He fights a hideous abomination to mankind resembling a Forgotten Beast. It whips him with an appendage and bathes the crowd in gore.
2. He fights a massive dungeon beast, which is cut on his sword before pummeling him into fine powder.
3. He fights a wolf-spider hybrid with eight legs and four mandibles. It's strong, but he manages to drive his sword through it's brain and claim sweet sweet victory ichor.
4. He fights a wolf. He kills the wolf.
5. He fights a wolf wearing an enchanted gold necklace. He claims his prize after slaying the wolf.
6. He fights a hideous abomination to nature that once resembled a wolf. The last thing Gladiator saw was a massive, spiked appendage heading for his face.

1 gladiator per person, but three wins in a row and you get a soul token- basically, you get to keep going instead of thrown in the waitlist. You'd need some luck to get to 3rd win, more than likely.
There are words that make the booze plant possible. Just not those words.
Alright you two. Attempt to murder each other. Last one standing gets to participate in the next test.
DIRK: Pelvic thrusts will be my exclamation points.

tomas1297

• Bay Watcher
  • Lack of originality.
    • View Profile

stuff
By abstract rules I mean like, for example, having wounds instead of HP and just killing a character when it looks like he would die, rather than because he took X amount of damage.

Thanks for answering, though. Some points made me think.

anailater

• Bay Watcher
  • Because She's Awesome
    • View Profile

-SNIP-
That sounds like a really good idea, can i reserve a spot.
At best it's a pool of ink thats here for no reason; at worst it's a puddle of hateful alien death penises that want to murder-rape you into chunks.
So how are you today?

Tsuchigumo550

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Artificer
    • View Profile

If I wind up running it, sure. I can probably commit to biweekly updates, but one of them (non-weekend) would more than likely be irregular.
There are words that make the booze plant possible. Just not those words.
Alright you two. Attempt to murder each other. Last one standing gets to participate in the next test.
DIRK: Pelvic thrusts will be my exclamation points.

OREOSOME

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice GM.
    • View Profile

Today, I came up with 2 Roll to Dodge campaigns.
1) a normal DnDesque campaign, in which the players must travel a world in the aftermath of a apocalyptic war between some magical kingdoms. Also, the gods are being cast off from the heavens, Et cetera, Et cetera. BUT, the characters become hosts of the gods, and attempt to retrieve the shards of the artifact that was causing the gods to lose their power, and eventually have some battle that will decide the fate of all existence or something

2) a campaign similar in idea to adeptus evangelion, apparently. It's post apocalypse, there are mechs, and you can do what people do with mechas in the apocalypse when raiders, aliens, the government etc. have them as well.

Any suggestions, Critiques, etc would be apreciated
« Last Edit: October 29, 2012, 02:31:42 pm by OREOSOME »
Ow! How the fuck do eldritch abominations bitchslap people?
With our pimp tentacles, obviously.

Mr.Zero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Mecha RTD's generally tend to fall off. I think it's an combination of failing to design lore and a proper damage system. Unless the Mecha's are androids or something humanoid based (Terminator), then there is potential.

The first one.. interesting.... Elaborate the idea.
Durrr..

OREOSOME

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice GM.
    • View Profile

Basically, the worlds gone all dark, you know, like how most people imagine medieval times, with endless cloudyness and whathaveyou, and some idiots gone and broken a artifact into like 24 parts or something, one for each god, and as a result the gods are banished from the astral plane until its fixed, so they've gotta possess some poor chaps( the players) and gather the macguffin parts. The game will start with just 1 god possessing a player, but he won't really get a bonus from it, because the gods power was sorta left on the astral plane, if you understand what I mean. Eventually, the other players ALL get a god in them. Then, as they return all 24 shards to the place where it all started, the battle for the fate of all existence occurs between the players, and possibly an army of followers, against an equally if not more powerful army of monsters. If the players lose, well... The universe also dies because of the gods not keeping their domains in check.

Edit: The whole flow of magic would also be messed up, but if say, player A was possessed by the god of magic, then they could say, resurrect npc X while Npc cleric Y could not. This would allow for some interesting interactions, like the above example.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2012, 03:13:35 pm by OREOSOME »
Ow! How the fuck do eldritch abominations bitchslap people?
With our pimp tentacles, obviously.
Pages: 1 ... 360 361 [362] 363 364 ... 661