Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 369 370 [371] 372 373 ... 661

Author Topic: Roller's Block (RTD Brainstorming Thread) (HAPPY LATE BIRTHDAY) (Derm is 5k)  (Read 702552 times)

Tsuchigumo550

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Artificer
    • View Profile

I like using d10s. d20s for some stuff, even. There's never enough number.
There are words that make the booze plant possible. Just not those words.
Alright you two. Attempt to murder each other. Last one standing gets to participate in the next test.
DIRK: Pelvic thrusts will be my exclamation points.

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile

I've been using 1d6 for all my RTDs, but I'm planning on transitioning to 1d20 for at least one of the two new RTD plans I've got. Simply so I don't have silly Westlands percentage chance for bonus/malus modifiers.
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio

Fudge dice? Does that mean FFS cheats his dice or...?
Wiki it xD

Me, I like to use exploding 1d6s.

bay12 lower boards IRC:irc.darkmyst.org @ #bay12lb
"Oh, they never lie. They dissemble, evade, prevaricate, confoud, confuse, distract, obscure, subtly misrepresent and willfully misunderstand with what often appears to be a positively gleeful relish ... but they never lie" -- Look To Windward

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile

Sure, but you'll be ignored like me to Monk12's last post. :P More seriously, @Monk12: how does Spinal_Taper's HoF minimalist RTD fit into your 'minimalists don't last' argument? It was started in July and it's still going. Also, don't bring DF into this. It really has little relevance to the RTD section of the board, and some of us - if not most - haven't played that in months.

I'd argue that Spinal_Taper's RTD is the exception that proves the rule- I could debate it further, but the tardiness of my reply means that several other forumites have already said what I was going to say :P

My mention of DF was merely a poorly worded attempt to compare to another situation where a highly convoluted and complex game still has a dedicated playerbase despite a market glut of games that are... less so. And that's all I have to say about that.

Yoink and Monk12's minimalists were the best ones on the forum.

Sorry everyone else, but attempting to imitate those guys' sense of humor is an uphill battle.

:o I think I teared up a little.

No, I'm serious, I did, just... <3

ohyou.jpg

I like using d10s. d20s for some stuff, even. There's never enough number.
I've been using 1d6 for all my RTDs, but I'm planning on transitioning to 1d20 for at least one of the two new RTD plans I've got. Simply so I don't have silly Westlands percentage chance for bonus/malus modifiers.
Fudge dice? Does that mean FFS cheats his dice or...?
Wiki it xD

Me, I like to use exploding 1d6s.

I've been using a d12 based system in my FG&R game, but I've been giving thought to exploding 2d6 for my next RTD. It's nothing I've ever done before, so I'm still working out the implications that would have on the rest of the system.

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I've been using a d12 based system in my FG&R game, but I've been giving thought to exploding 2d6 for my next RTD. It's nothing I've ever done before, so I'm still working out the implications that would have on the rest of the system.

Wait. I just googled exploding dice and realized what that meant.

I thought you guys were literally talking about dice that detonate.

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile

Wait. I just googled exploding dice and realized what that meant.

I thought you guys were literally talking about dice that detonate.

It's a fitting term, especially if you tie it to the traditional RTD overshoot :P

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I think it would be most fitting with the RTD theme to have a dice that explodes both ways.

Spoiler: example (click to show/hide)

Tsuchigumo550

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Artificer
    • View Profile

Oh god. I want to use those now.
There are words that make the booze plant possible. Just not those words.
Alright you two. Attempt to murder each other. Last one standing gets to participate in the next test.
DIRK: Pelvic thrusts will be my exclamation points.

SeriousConcentrate

• Bay Watcher
  • The Hollow Street Hero
    • View Profile

Don't let Irony or someone similar see that. They'll have dice that explode on every number. Maybe even twice. XD
SerCon Shorts: This Is How You Do It - Twenty-three one minute or less videos of random stupidity in AC:U, Bloodborne, DS2:SotFS, Salt & Sanctuary, and The Witcher 3.

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile

Tooooo laaaaaate. :3

Let's take a moment to examine the consequences of an exploding [3].

[1] You partially succeed at making things worse until they're completed.
[2] You partially but uselessly succeed.
[3] Your mediocrity is starting to become exceptional. This die explodes again.
[4] You partially succeed successfully.
[5] You don't so much partially succeed as succeed in a very subtle and mellow fashion.
[6] You succeed partially because you halfway break everything.

As for an exploding [3][2]... :P
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio

I use [6] as exploding, but a [6->1] [6->2] are exteme failures, [6->5],[6->4] extraordinary successes, and [6->6] exploding again. It makes for a nice critical damage system (lots of 6s=critical!).

bay12 lower boards IRC:irc.darkmyst.org @ #bay12lb
"Oh, they never lie. They dissemble, evade, prevaricate, confoud, confuse, distract, obscure, subtly misrepresent and willfully misunderstand with what often appears to be a positively gleeful relish ... but they never lie" -- Look To Windward

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile

Normally use d6, d20 and d100. Mostly d6 for RTD's. I have used more special dice for other forum games. (The d23 is a wonderfull thing)

Speaking of semigeneric fantasy RTD's... [Pre post edit: It started out as semigeneric fantasy]
(What follows is based on a mix of books, old television cartoons, some other stuff and eldritch knowledge. I travel by bus to school every day, and as such have nothing better to do.)

Spoiler: Story (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: General setting (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Character sheet (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Mechanics (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: December 06, 2012, 10:48:43 am by 10ebbor10 »

Phantom of The Library

• Bay Watcher
  • [PRONE_TO: SUDDEN DISAPPEARANCES]
    • View Profile

d23?  I can say that that I've actually never heard of that one. 

My Google-fu is of no use either. It's giving me nothing but Disney for some odd reason...

Neither is wikipedia, the closest die they have listed is a d24.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2012, 10:52:30 am by Phantom of The Library »
Gnosis - Torn Ajar -- Text Suggestion Games.
This is what happens when we randomly murder people.

You get attacked by a Yandere triangle monster.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile

d23?  I can say that that I've actually never heard of that one. 

My Google-fu is of no use either. It's giving me nothing but Disney for some odd reason...
It's non existent, except for virtual generators.

Speaking of which, I edited my above post pretty heavily.

Phantom of The Library

• Bay Watcher
  • [PRONE_TO: SUDDEN DISAPPEARANCES]
    • View Profile

That would explain it.  Personally, I'm a bit old-fashioned; I don't like to use any die that I can't physically hold in my hand.

Recently I've fallen in love with the d10 after discovering the Storyteller System (can't thank thatkid enough) and I've been working on making a modified version of the system for use in a mecha RPG for a few months now, but that's a conversation for Gamer's Block when I actually have enough finished to review.  :P

In reply to the "semi-generic fantasy":

I really like the setting, it's been a good while since I've seen a good islands-in-the-sky anything really.  The idea of a magical tree jetpack sounds especially funn.
Gnosis - Torn Ajar -- Text Suggestion Games.
This is what happens when we randomly murder people.

You get attacked by a Yandere triangle monster.
Pages: 1 ... 369 370 [371] 372 373 ... 661