Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 375 376 [377] 378 379 ... 661

Author Topic: Roller's Block (RTD Brainstorming Thread) (HAPPY LATE BIRTHDAY) (Derm is 5k)  (Read 702540 times)

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile

Come to think of it, why hasn't there been a Luchador RTD yet?
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile

Guess what, I have yet another idea: a family-based horror RTD!

Family Fun: The RTD

The point of the game is this: all the players together form a standard nuclear family, and they get two choices in this: the first choice is what family member they are, the second is a special trait!

You could be:

The Dad: the man of the house. The keeper of the family. Brings home the bacon, is most suited to defend his home from invaders. +1 to physical combat, possesses a weapon or tool to be defined by the player. However, the Dad is always the first one to be targeted by evil!

The Mom: the lady of the house, the person who runs the family, essentially. Will do anything to protect her children. +1 to any action involving directly protecting her kids! The Mom does, however, have to roll against panic if she is ever in a situation where she doesn't know where her children are!

The Teenager: the eldest child, has the fresh outlook on life and open mind needed to calmly evaluate and potentially exploit the situation, but is mentally vulnerable as a result! +1 to learning and using eldritch techniques, -1 to mental resistance rolls!

The Little Kid: the youngest child and the most vulnerable of the family! +1 to running and hiding, evil has to roll against innocence to directly attack, but has a -1 to defense and attack if evil does indeed enter combat!

The Family Dog: the animals, they know! They know things and they can see and smell the evil! +1 to perception and agility, but cannot speak (other than barking on command, that is).

You can choose a trait (say, an occupation, hobby, status in school or something that grants both a bonus and a penalty) in addition to these bonuses for family members, allowing for some further customization (and counteracting certain penalties they have).

The idea here is, the family has gone on a trip to a nice, secluded vacation spot. Unbeknownst to them, evil lurks in the innocent little house! Surreal horror, monster-based horror and all kinds of other horror ensue as the family is drawn into a horrible supernatural intrigue surrounding their house! It's like Call of Cthulhu, except with family instead of random investigator schmucks.

I think the family bit might provide an interesting RP opportunity, plus it will allow the GM to chuck every horror trope they know at the players and let them deal with it in a wholesome, family-oriented way!
« Last Edit: December 20, 2012, 04:17:22 pm by Harry Baldman »

anailater

• Bay Watcher
  • Because She's Awesome
    • View Profile

Possible pre-in as teenager.
At best it's a pool of ink thats here for no reason; at worst it's a puddle of hateful alien death penises that want to murder-rape you into chunks.
So how are you today?

lawastooshort

• Bay Watcher
  • goodness what
    • View Profile

Nice idea. I think it would also work well as a horrorfarce.

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile

That's pretty interesting, actually. I'd play it.

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Possible pre-in as teenager.

Oh no, this is an RTD I definitely don't intend to run any time soon. I have three other RTDs to start before I can get to this one, you know. Anybody is welcome to grab it if they want to.

I think it would also work well as a horrorfarce.

You know, I'm starting to get the feeling that you say that about everything. Not that it isn't true, but still.

SeriousConcentrate

• Bay Watcher
  • The Hollow Street Hero
    • View Profile

If anyone starts it, I claim the dog. :3
SerCon Shorts: This Is How You Do It - Twenty-three one minute or less videos of random stupidity in AC:U, Bloodborne, DS2:SotFS, Salt & Sanctuary, and The Witcher 3.

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

It would be a pretty amusing situation if everybody in the family got killed except the dog, which would remain alive until the very end and save itself in a spectacular showdown with the forces of darkness that absolutely nobody would ever find out about.

SeriousConcentrate

• Bay Watcher
  • The Hollow Street Hero
    • View Profile

Poor mutt. :C But yeah, that would be pretty funny. ^^^
SerCon Shorts: This Is How You Do It - Twenty-three one minute or less videos of random stupidity in AC:U, Bloodborne, DS2:SotFS, Salt & Sanctuary, and The Witcher 3.

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile

awwww crap, now my brain is running away with several crazy ideas related to that premise. Must... resist...... RTD creation impulse!

lawastooshort

• Bay Watcher
  • goodness what
    • View Profile

I think it would also work well as a horrorfarce.

You know, I'm starting to get the feeling that you say that about everything. Not that it isn't true, but still.

I'm trying to think of some kind of defence, but... I... yes.

awwww crap, now my brain is running away with several crazy ideas related to that premise. Must... resist...... RTD creation impulse!

No, monk! Don't resist! Give in to the awesome impulses! And I want in!

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile

Come to think of it, why hasn't there been a Luchador RTD yet?
I'm pretty sure there has been.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile

If anyone starts it, I claim the dog. :3
Curses.

Silly monk, that's the opposite of what you want to do!

EDIT:

Also, as long as I'm at it, what do people get out of horror games? I've had ideas for several in the past, but they've always sort of fallen apart at being kind of aimless or not being sure what I was going for.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2012, 05:43:00 pm by IronyOwl »
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile

Silly monk, that's the opposite of what you want to do!

If I didn't want to do it, I wouldn't have to resist it so hard! I still remember the last time I came up with a ridiculous plot and jumped in without any thought for mechanics or game flow.

I'll give it until after Christmas (since I wouldn't have time to run it until then anyway) and if it still seems like a good idea, I'll run with it.

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile

And that was awesome! Short-lived, yes, but awesome.

EDIT: I have also just come up with the most hilarious idea ever. Roll to Dodge a Song, but submitted songs don't generate your character, they generate the game and then switch every so often.

In other words, through some selection method somebody submits a song, and it reminds me of ponies, so the game is a malformed MLP RTD. Then at some interval or event somebody else gets to submit a song and it reminds me of horror, so the genre/world shifts while keeping everyone's characters more or less the same. It could even have Multiworld elements, with some players mastering the Power of Friendship in cuddlier worlds before being thrust into Axe Butcher lands.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2012, 06:07:57 pm by IronyOwl »
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.
Pages: 1 ... 375 376 [377] 378 379 ... 661