Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 382 383 [384] 385 386 ... 661

Author Topic: Roller's Block (RTD Brainstorming Thread) (HAPPY LATE BIRTHDAY) (Derm is 5k)  (Read 702649 times)

Persus13

• Bay Watcher
  • 6th King of the Mafia
    • View Profile

I had an idea for this Roll to dodge when I first joined, but I decided to run a minimalist one first. I was just wondering what would people would think.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

For the record, TCM's Syndicate wasn't the inspiration for this.
Congratulations Persus, now you are forced to have the same personal text for an entire year!
Longbowmen horsearcher doomstacks that suffer no attrition and can navigate all major rivers without ships.
Sigtext

Urist McBeanie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Alright, now before I start my "Random" RTD, I have two questions.
1. Should some of the characters/encounters/setting elements be pregenerated (with a random generator), done on the fly, or some of both.
2. Should characters be done with the random generator and assigned, or created by the players?
Spoiler: General Idea (click to show/hide)

Persus13

• Bay Watcher
  • 6th King of the Mafia
    • View Profile

I'd like to see everything pregenerated, maybe you can give the players a choice between a random character (before you generate it) or one they can make themselves. Or assign players randomly generated characters.
Congratulations Persus, now you are forced to have the same personal text for an entire year!
Longbowmen horsearcher doomstacks that suffer no attrition and can navigate all major rivers without ships.
Sigtext

Tsuchigumo550

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Artificer
    • View Profile

I want to run a game- remember Tomb of Horrors? That one was fun as anything, but I don't have the skill to run that nor would I be able to resist wanting to play it. So that dosen't work out too well.

My plan is to come up with a few characters, then take a lot of randomly generated and then hand-picked stuff, spackle that together, and see if it holds. Monsters would be mostly random along with towns, and to some extent dungeons.

PCs is where I'm coming into trouble. I was thinking about running something closer to Tomb of Horrors, your class determined what you could do and your HP, and your HP was the only stat you really needed. I would like some form of stats however, and I have two solutions:

Secondary Stats: A hybrid of common everything-gets-stats and the ToH "HP and wizardry!". The three classes get boosts to secondary areas such as willpower, speed, or... something for ranged units.

This system would be HP + the three stats, where Willpower, Speed, and Focus(?) would help with general dungeoneering and the occasional irregular monster.

The other solution is attack/defense/speed/intelligence/willpower/focus, but I don't know how to incorporate rolls into that.

The setting would be something akin to D&D but more of a drop-in-drop-out party game, where each dungeon takes far less time than a D&D campaign and towns are dispersed through the land, so that dungeon->town->dungeon->town etc.

I'm heavily leaning for "everyone gets an HP value have fun" and possibly "Each class has a weak but useful ability, such as Archers with their focus being better at detecting traps.

I'm going to start it up today or tomorrow, and take only 4 people for the first dungeon. From there I'll decide what happens, if I keep 4 or go to 6+, and such.

One other thing. Characters can be retired at a town, which allows you to jump out of a game or to the bottom of the waitlist and be "successful". At the end, the wealthiest retiree wins. What? Being the wealthiest.

Also, retiring and un-retiring give a small bonus. Voluntarily jumping to the bottom of a waitlist (depending on how large it gets) will net you something nice (the city rewards you for your deeds) with a unique weapon, armor, accessory, or item. It dosen't count to end-reitrement value much, but coming back and having a nice ceremonial knife that rips through the undead like butter or god-knows-what-other artifact is a prize of its own.

This is to encourage but not force players to cycle through the waitlist so that a survivalist dosen't clog the gears too much. There is a 3 item limit for these for the same reason, and they aren't all useful all the time, but it's just a perk.

The fist two towns and first dungeon are ready, which prompts me to start this already. Pre-ins here might not be seen at first but I will try to honor them; here's some information.

Classes:
Warrior: Uses any melee weapons, has 4HP. Special: When at 1HP, attacks autosucceed (dosen't mean they'll be useful)
Archer: Uses ranged weapons, 3HP. All types of bows, flintlock pistols and rifles, and slings. Special: Can detect traps much easier (+5 to d20)
Mage: Uses magic weapons such as tomes or staves, 2HP. Special: May be alerted to dangers behind doors or around corners by a sixth sense.

Races:
Human: No bonuses, no flaws.
Elf: Pointy-eared humans with longer lifespans.
Dwarf: +2 to searching floors and walls, -2 to floor trap avoidance. Dwarves are an intelligent, stout race known for their engineering and their beards. They're experts at finding things hidden in walls and floors, but stall when a trap hits from below due to their instinct screaming "earthquake."
Naga: +2 to dodging, -2 to navigating tight terrain. Naga are proud yet friendly half-serpent half-man hybrids. They're very agile, but they're large size makes it difficult to squeeze through some dungeons.
Kobold: +2 to theft, using devices/mechanisms, -2 to offensive actions (d20 only). Kobold are small, human-like creatures with a knack for theft but little natural ability to fight. There have been great Kobold adventurers before, and it seems that one in particular is the stuff of legend in their culture. Deebus, I think?
Custom: Suggest one of your own. The specials should be as non-combat as possible, as that will involve a d6. Kobolds -2 to offensive dosen't affect regular combat, only that which needs a d20.

Starting a character is easy.

Name, class, race, starting weapon, starting armor.

Name:
Class:
Race:
Weapon: (Can be anything so long as it fits your class and dosen't have any special rules tied to it- a plastic sword and a mithril one work the same- but no "more damage vs undead" or "glows when near X" or any of that.
Armor: (Armor does basically nothing, at least, starting armor dosen't. Try to make your choice fit that. Buying armor will get you the better stuff- resist damage, elemental protection, etc.)

You'll get some form of currency to spend. Going to make the official post, I think I'm ready.
There are words that make the booze plant possible. Just not those words.
Alright you two. Attempt to murder each other. Last one standing gets to participate in the next test.
DIRK: Pelvic thrusts will be my exclamation points.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile

OKAY GUYS STOP PANICKING I'M BACK

Yeah, so, haven't had internet for a while. Sorry about that. Didn't expect to be away for so long.
Just letting you know I'm back, and then I'll start posting in all the games I'm no-doubt long overdue to post in. Sorry!

Also, I vaguely remember starting a randomly-generated RTD and abandoning it about a third of the way through the first turn as the sheer number of things I had to generate got ridiculous. Then again I am a pretty sucky GM, so you'll probably do a better job than I did. ;)
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile

So as long as I've given up on it, I might as well mention an idea I had:

Gnomedome.

See, here in the evil empire of serpentfolk, we value all peoples. From minotaur slave-soldiers to gnoll slave-soldiers, everyone has a place in our evil empress' domain. Gnomes, for instance, get to serve as vital suppliers of protein and entertainment in death pits.

And that's where you come in. You're a gnome. You're small, you're tasty, and you've been thrown into a death arena to fight each other and various monsters to the death. Good luck!

Of course, as players gained in experience, they'd start getting amusingly competent. Cute little gnomes with eyepatches and tooth necklaces would start cropping up, good strings of rolls would allow ridiculous combat maneuvers no gnome was meant to survive, that stuff. You'd also basically have free reign to dig out your quarters below the arena proper, meaning you could give them some nasty surprises or just come up with contingencies if that's the way you wanted to do it. Do note that gnoll beastmasters would like nothing better than for you to escape, though, so setting up a custom forge or something might be a better short-term goal.

Finally, the magic system would be inspired by Perplexicon. In other words, you manage to acquire a book of magic words, and then have to figure out what you're saying through trial and error.

I am now sad that I don't think I'll be running this. Maybe I should reconsider. :x
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile

I would be happy if you (or someone else) did.
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

Empiricist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

A RTD I created, I haven't finalized the how the stats and skills will be used though I'm leaning towards using a similar system to Einstienian Roulette for those. I figured I might as well post this here since I wouldn't have enough time to run it. I'll probably update this over time since I have my notes are currently scattered.

Schrodinger RTD Draft

Plot:

Rules:

Classes:

Stats

Skills

RP Status Effects
« Last Edit: January 02, 2013, 08:39:24 pm by Empiricist »
Quote from: Caellath (on Discord)
<Caellath>: Emp is the hero we don't need, deserve or want

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile

Sounds like a pretty good idea, but there should be an overarching goal of some kind, some kind of nebulous future benefit that you seek to obtain.

Gamerlord

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice GM
    • View Profile

I would be interested in playing this, but it requires more RP SEs. May i suggest you take a stroll into TV Tropes?

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile

I am also interested, though you know not the horror you bring upon yourself by allowing Bay12 to argue with you.
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

Empiricist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

there should be an overarching goal of some kind, some kind of nebulous future benefit that you seek to obtain.
I actually didn't get around to thinking about that as I realized before then that I didn't have enough time to run it, so I just posted it here in case anyone would want to use its concepts or something. It probably would have just allowed the players to decide what their goal was and just adjust the plot to fit those goals.

I would be interested in playing this, but it requires more RP SEs.
The copy I posted was unfinished and just the initial concept. If I ever get the time to run this, I will definitely add more RP SEs and probably modify the mechanism for creating potions to include some risk of adverse effects if done incorrectly.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2013, 06:46:33 pm by Empiricist »
Quote from: Caellath (on Discord)
<Caellath>: Emp is the hero we don't need, deserve or want

Persus13

• Bay Watcher
  • 6th King of the Mafia
    • View Profile

I had an idea for this Roll to dodge when I first joined, but I decided to run a minimalist one first. I was just wondering what would people would think about it.

For the record, TCM's Syndicate wasn't the inspiration for this.
Sigtext

Gamerlord

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice GM
    • View Profile

Here's some "rules" for that rome rtd i mntioned. Please don't yell at me.  :'(

Persus13

• Bay Watcher
  • 6th King of the Mafia
    • View Profile

Sounds interesting. Would the players be together or would they be separate?
Sigtext
Pages: 1 ... 382 383 [384] 385 386 ... 661