Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 403 404 [405] 406 407 ... 661

Author Topic: Roller's Block (RTD Brainstorming Thread) (HAPPY LATE BIRTHDAY) (Derm is 5k)  (Read 681752 times)

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile

Y'know, I've looked around a little and found RTD games of every make and style, from the classic arenas to Total War grand strategy. I don't think there ever was a squad combat RTD. I.e., up to four players, each controlling a squad of three to five people, a-la Laser Squad - point buy system for troops and their weapons. The actual combat mechanics between individual troops would be somewhat simplified to expedite the process of making the turns.

In the interest of making the game last longer, perhaps the whole thing could be made to be like an arena, with a goal to retrieve some sort of artifact that every player - each representing a different corporation - fights to get. As teams are eliminated by enemies, new teams drop in.

So in short, something of a cross between Einsteinian Roulette, Laser Squad, and Cortex Command.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

anailater

• Bay Watcher
  • Because She's Awesome
    • View Profile

So, essentially it's a game where you possess the animal or person that kills you. You're going to have to be more specific than that. What's the tone of the game, what are the players' goals and how do you intend them to be achieved? Moreover, how would player cooperation work with the whole "fading humanity" thing?
Goals I'm not sure yet,I'm thinking sandbox and they choose their own goals, also your not possessing the one that killed you but imagine that their was always an animal that as soon as you died would remember your life, but it was always in its mind, as for the losing humanity thing I have two examples, one your on a quest to kill all dragons because they killed your family, then your killed by and become a dragon, now you wouldn't want to kill all dragons, and you would get dragon like traits, a short violent temper and a lust for gold. Secondly imagine if you were killed by ants, your overriding instinct would be to serve the queen.
As for tone I'm not sure yet, as far as I can see the idea could fit light or dark, ideas'
At best it's a pool of ink thats here for no reason; at worst it's a puddle of hateful alien death penises that want to murder-rape you into chunks.
So how are you today?

kilakan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Would you bounce back to being human if you died in that game?  Also... you'll need some penalties to dieing, otherwise your characters will just run off to get eaten by the biggest, baddest thing they can find.
Nom nom nom

anailater

• Bay Watcher
  • Because She's Awesome
    • View Profile

Would you bounce back to being human if you died in that game?  Also... you'll need some penalties to dieing, otherwise your characters will just run off to get eaten by the biggest, baddest thing they can find.
If you died as a dragon after being a human before, you would turn into whatever killed you, natural causes such as age or man made poisons will kill you dead, also its not in peoples best interests to become a dragon because, while you would be totally awesome people would try to kill you on sight, unless you made an effort to stop them from doing that.

As for a penalty, I'm thinking that you would start with some sort of identity meter, if it dips below 0 you begin to think you were always the animal you are and even when you die you would just start believing you were always that animal, basically killing the character, and every time you die your max identity, starting at 10, would lower making it easier for loss of identity to happen.
At best it's a pool of ink thats here for no reason; at worst it's a puddle of hateful alien death penises that want to murder-rape you into chunks.
So how are you today?

kilakan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

yeah sorry I actually worded my first question wrongly, I mean if you died to a human you'd become human?  How about you just make it so that it isn't a sure thing that you always come back.  Sort of a play a game of chance with death scenario, so you never know when it will be the last time you'll ever die.  Otherwise it would seem that past your first death you are on a countdown to insanity.
Nom nom nom

anailater

• Bay Watcher
  • Because She's Awesome
    • View Profile

Maybe with every death the chance of being reborn is lessened by 10 percent. Also yes if your killed by a human you'll become human, just not specifically the same race, build or gender.
So how are you today?

kilakan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Fair enough, so what sort of game goal would they have?  Maybe to say... take over the body of some species that doesn't die of old age so that they could live forever perhapes?

Nom nom nom

anailater

• Bay Watcher
  • Because She's Awesome
    • View Profile

Their goal would be their own, but an upshot of the reborn thing is that they can't have an afterlife, even if they permanently die, their spirit will be unable to ascend to the god of their choice, so if they wish they may try to cure this blessing curse thing.
So how are you today?

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile

Their goal would be their own, but an upshot of the reborn thing is that they can't have an afterlife, even if they permanently die, their spirit will be unable to ascend to the god of their choice, so if they wish they may try to cure this blessing curse thing.

To let the players make their own goals from the very start is not really the best of ideas, as it requires involvement and investment the player simply does not have at the beginning of the game. At least give them a direction or provide a main antagonist of some kind.

anailater

• Bay Watcher
  • Because She's Awesome
    • View Profile

To let the players make their own goals from the very start is not really the best of ideas, as it requires involvement and investment the player simply does not have at the beginning of the game. At least give them a direction or provide a main antagonist of some kind.
I was thinking it was missing something, a big bad would work, but what would it be, 'm not sure if i can make a deep well rounded character with emotional depth, but i don't want to be corny and just say, DRAGON KIDNAPPED PRINCESS SAVE HER.
So how are you today?

Persus13

• Bay Watcher
  • 6th King of the Mafia
    • View Profile

I'm considering doing a World war 1 RTD like Roll to Redshirt, although there would likely be more deaths and fewer kills.
Congratulations Persus, now you are forced to have the same personal text for an entire year!
Longbowmen horsearcher doomstacks that suffer no attrition and can navigate all major rivers without ships.
Sigtext

Doomblade187

• Bay Watcher
  • Requires music to get through the working day.
    • View Profile

... DRAGON KIDNAPPED PRINCESS SAVE HER.
Thanks for the idea.
In any case it would be a battle of critical thinking and I refuse to fight an unarmed individual.
One mustn't stare into the pathos, lest one become Pathos.

anailater

• Bay Watcher
  • Because She's Awesome
    • View Profile

... DRAGON KIDNAPPED PRINCESS SAVE HER.
Thanks for the idea.
Quite alright good chap.
So how are you today?

Persus13

• Bay Watcher
  • 6th King of the Mafia
    • View Profile

DRAGON KIDNAPPED PRINCESS SAVE HER.
I first read that as:
DRAGON KIDNAPPED, PRINCESS SAVE HER.
Congratulations Persus, now you are forced to have the same personal text for an entire year!
Longbowmen horsearcher doomstacks that suffer no attrition and can navigate all major rivers without ships.
Sigtext

anailater

• Bay Watcher
  • Because She's Awesome
    • View Profile

DRAGON KIDNAPPED PRINCESS SAVE HER.
I first read that as:
DRAGON KIDNAPPED, PRINCESS SAVE HER.
Damn it, now i want all my characters to be princesses, DAMN YOU!
So how are you today?
Pages: 1 ... 403 404 [405] 406 407 ... 661