Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 438 439 [440] 441 442 ... 661

Author Topic: Roller's Block (RTD Brainstorming Thread) (HAPPY LATE BIRTHDAY) (Derm is 5k)  (Read 663794 times)

+!!scientist!!+

• Bay Watcher
  • I came to have fun, but then I found !!FUN!!
    • View Profile

Make it an epic musical battle with some people for and some against the resistance.
"what are all these shapes? Why are they moving around. What do they want from me?"

Furtuka

• Bay Watcher
  • High Priest of Mecha
    • View Profile

And everyone has to have a secret connection to another player in a massive loop or web
It's FEF, not FEOF

Persus13

• Bay Watcher
  • 6th King of the Mafia
    • View Profile

I feel like starting a RtD based on or inspired by Les Miserables. Ideas?
I felt like starting an RTD based on Moby Dick (after making the terrible choice to read it for English) but I couldn't think up any ideas either.
Congratulations Persus, now you are forced to have the same personal text for an entire year!
Longbowmen horsearcher doomstacks that suffer no attrition and can navigate all major rivers without ships.
Sigtext

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile

Every action shall be done either in song, or massive walls of text.
And everyone has to have a secret connection to another player in a massive loop or web
Sounds fun.

Make it an epic musical battle with some people for and some against the resistance.
Hm...

I'm slowly forming a plan.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile

I felt like starting an RTD based on Moby Dick (after making the terrible choice to read it for English) but I couldn't think up any ideas either.
Well, there's always this.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Persus13

• Bay Watcher
  • 6th King of the Mafia
    • View Profile

There also this
Congratulations Persus, now you are forced to have the same personal text for an entire year!
Longbowmen horsearcher doomstacks that suffer no attrition and can navigate all major rivers without ships.
Sigtext

Doomblade187

• Bay Watcher
  • Requires music to get through the working day.
    • View Profile

Every action shall be done either in song, or massive walls of text.
Sounds fun.

Hm...

I'm slowly forming a plan.
Poetry should also be an option for actions. Bonuses for hidden meanings and symbolism in any form. Though it's pretty easy to fake symbolism, etc., so that might not be viable.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2013, 09:12:28 pm by Doomblade187 »
In any case it would be a battle of critical thinking and I refuse to fight an unarmed individual.
One mustn't stare into the pathos, lest one become Pathos.

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile

There also this
Oh hey, I remember that. It's cute and fun.

In related news, I approve of Hungry Sea Horrors RTD.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

lawastooshort

• Bay Watcher
  • goodness what
    • View Profile

I felt like starting an RTD based on Moby Dick but I couldn't think up any ideas either.

Oh yes! So did I! And nor could I.

Persus13

• Bay Watcher
  • 6th King of the Mafia
    • View Profile

I felt like starting an RTD based on Moby Dick but I couldn't think up any ideas either.

Oh yes! So did I! And nor could I.
Well, I did think up one idea, which was to have random rants about whaling halfway through each turn, but other wise I couldn't think up how to do it.
Sigtext

lawastooshort

• Bay Watcher
  • goodness what
    • View Profile

You could kind of invert it, and have it as this game where time travelling whales infiltrate nazi germany to assassinate Hitler in 1933 but end up fighting spacelizards. I'm a bit tired so I can't come up with better, but that's what I'd probably end up doing.

The main obstacle for me for a real (or, at least, 19th century ship based) Moby Dick rtd would be the detail. You have to think of a great deal of stuff or, worse, know a great deal of stuff if you want it to be convincing. But then perhaps I'm overthinking it.

Another obstacle would be the whole point of it. You'd be a group of five PCs chasing a whale, and then what? There could be random encounters and struggles with weather (you'd need to know 19th century sailing jargon) but you'd need quite a good game mechanic or imagination to make the whole bit up to the final hunt interesting. And then it'd be over.

Or if there were multiple hunts it might become quite episodic.

And also the sea.

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile

You'd presumably need to read Moby-Dick analytically to nail most of the details, then do additional research, which seems like a bit more effort than most would be willing to put into such an endeavor. But yeah, it would be kinda like that space-whaling RTD, except not in space and instead rooted in gritty 19th-century realism.

Other literature-based ideas:
  • Ulysses RTD - some sort of stream-of-consciousness thing, I guess - idea just popped into my head.
  • Finnegan's Wake RTD - half the fun is deciphering what the hell the turn actually meant.
  • Surveyor RTD - a game where you play as farmers during a time when a group of surveyors pop over to establish land borders. Your objective - don't lose your land and get as much of the others' as possible. How would you do this? Simple - wine, dine and bribe the surveyors as much as possible while sabotaging others' attempts to do so. And in the meantime, you also have to make sure you make a good profit off your produce so you can afford said wining, dining and bribing.

lawastooshort

• Bay Watcher
  • goodness what
    • View Profile

• Surveyor RTD - a game where you play as farmers during a time when a group of surveyors pop over to establish land borders. Your objective - don't lose your land and get as much of the others' as possible. How would you do this? Simple - wine, dine and bribe the surveyors as much as possible while sabotaging others' attempts to do so. And in the meantime, you also have to make sure you make a good profit off your produce so you can afford said wining, dining and bribing.

Competitve PvP Dinner Party Hosting. Crikey.

You'd presumably need to read Moby-Dick analytically to nail most of the details, then do additional research, which seems like a bit more effort than most would be willing to put into such an endeavor.

Yes, yes it does.

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile

Competitve PvP Dinner Party Hosting. Crikey.

Actually, the more I think about it, the more fun I think it might be. You could even have two levels of character generation - you'd get a minimum of 10 players together, five of which would become the chief surveyor and his aides, and then each of those five surveyor players could get up to shady dealings, form stable connections, try to influence one another (through PM's, naturally). For instance, one farmer would pay off Surveyor Aide #3 to help him get a better land measurement, and then Surveyor Aide #3 would have several options, such as putting in a good word with the surveyor (safe, yet ineffective), alter measurements himself (far less safe, effective), split the money with the lead surveyor (who might be played by a co-GM, perhaps?) to help with the measuring and so on. And the farmers themselves could do all manner of things to gain favor, from dinner parties to rowdy feasts to luxurious gifts to death threats to whatever else strikes their fancy.

And I almost forgot to mention that it's the 19th century, too, when everything is crazier. In the country, no less. So there's lots of potential for bumpkin shenanigans.

lawastooshort

• Bay Watcher
  • goodness what
    • View Profile

Actually, the more I think about it, the more fun I think it might be.

Yes - I do think it's a silly but not lightweight concept.
Pages: 1 ... 438 439 [440] 441 442 ... 661