Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 483 484 [485] 486 487 ... 661

Author Topic: Roller's Block (RTD Brainstorming Thread) (HAPPY LATE BIRTHDAY) (Derm is 5k)  (Read 702270 times)

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably browsing tasteful erotic dolphin photos
    • View Profile
Re: Roller's Block (RTD Brainstorming Thread) (HAPPY LATE BIRTHDAY) (Derm is 5k)
« Reply #7260 on: November 11, 2013, 01:31:28 pm »

((Huh, I've never seen that half/whole action thing before. There should really be like an rtd basics faq or something.))

...If nobody's going to do it (after all the talk before), then I will. And we all know how bad my english and formatting is. >_> And if I will do it, then expect delays ~2 weeks from now at best.

And we all know how bad I am with schedules barring me giving an explanation of how my RL is because that's the primary hindrance to all the schedules.

I will help with this endeavor. Granted, it would have to be a very generalized FAQ, as no two GMs do it the same way. Hell, the same GM rarely does it the same way between two games.

NINJA: What Harry said. I think it would be worth making, but there is an incredible amount of variance.

However, I mainly posted here to say that I read an "eh" grade research paper (well-written, way too Pollyanna) and got an idea for an interesting RTD.

In the same vein as SC Roll To Alter Someone's Life, the players don't actually influence the world directly, rather they influence NPCs and get scored for whether the influence was positive or negative. (One side generally plays positive, one side plays negative)

The change is that there are multiple NPCs, and the players do have character sheets, after a fashion. Each character plays a sort of spirit, a muse. They have attribute scores based on the following...

Knowledge: Curiosity, Judgement, Perspective
Courage: Bravery, Persistence, Integrity
Humanity: Kindness, Love, Altruism
Justice: Citizenship, Fairness, Leadership
Temperance: Self-regulation, Prudence, Humility
Transcendence: Hope, Forgiveness, Humor

These scores determine what moods/feelings/actions a spirit can impart, and how strong they are. Importantly, they can also be negative. This is essential, because spirits are given NO POINTS at start, and have to swap points back and forth to get positive/negative values. (Max/Min of 3/-3) Negative scores do not necessarily invoke penalties, in fact (this is essential for the 'bad' players) they can actually be used as bonuses. When using an attribute inversely, like attempting to make a character wet their pants in terror (Cowardice) bonuses and penalties become flipped.

Example: A spirit has a Knowledge of 3 and a Humanity of -2. Their actions involving increasing knowledge, gaining new perspective, etc, gain +3. However, if they wanted to make a character forget everything right before an exam, they'd take a -3 check. However, if they wanted them to ruin another student's test scores out of spite (Opposite in the humanity category), they'd get a +2.

Each domain can only be used three times in one game. The game ends and the points are tallied when each spirit runs out of aspects to use. So each round will last for no more, and no less than, 20 turns. (Introduction, 18 turns of play, Conclusion)
I have a degree in Computer Seance, that means I'm officially qualified to tell you that the problem with your system is that it's possessed by Satan.
---
Q: "Do you have any idea what you're doing?"
A: "No, not particularly."

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile
Re: Roller's Block (RTD Brainstorming Thread) (HAPPY LATE BIRTHDAY) (Derm is 5k)
« Reply #7261 on: November 11, 2013, 01:47:27 pm »

((Huh, I've never seen that half/whole action thing before. There should really be like an rtd basics faq or something.))

...If nobody's going to do it (after all the talk before), then I will. And we all know how bad my english and formatting is. >_> And if I will do it, then expect delays ~2 weeks from now at best.

And we all know how bad I am with schedules barring me giving an explanation of how my RL is because that's the primary hindrance to all the schedules.
Well, some time ago I posted a summary for RTDs in a response to you, which some people apparently thought summed it up right. You could use that as part of it or something.
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

Digital Hellhound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7262 on: November 11, 2013, 02:03:52 pm »

Yeah, that summary was pretty much perfect. Maybe add a short answer. A short answer of 'there is no short answer'.
Russia is simply taking an anti-Fascist stance against European Nazi products, they should be applauded. ˇNo parmesan!

Joben

• Bay Watcher
  • Elder Thing
    • View Profile
    • Lazy Lizard Gear
« Reply #7263 on: November 11, 2013, 02:42:15 pm »

I will help with this endeavor. Granted, it would have to be a very generalized FAQ, as no two GMs do it the same way. Hell, the same GM rarely does it the same way between two games.

There is a lot of specific variance, but there are definitely repeated tropes that we can talk about. Both as a player's guide type thing and for designers who want a list of what's state of the art.

I think for a lot of elements of RTD game design there are 2-3 classes of mechanic that are used in a majority of games. If that's the case it's definitely a small enough field to write a useful guide about.

I would like to contribute to this project or at least aid in the discussion.
Broken Arrow - A small stats tweak to fix unrealistically overpowered arrows and bolts.

My RTD games: Roll To Raptor (On hold), Dino Arena

SeriousConcentrate

• Bay Watcher
  • The Hollow Street Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #7264 on: November 11, 2013, 02:43:08 pm »

Sounds pretty cool, Draignean.
SerCon Shorts: This Is How You Do It - Twenty-three one minute or less videos of random stupidity in AC:U, Bloodborne, DS2:SotFS, Salt & Sanctuary, and The Witcher 3.

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7265 on: November 11, 2013, 04:44:01 pm »

I think for a lot of elements of RTD game design there are 2-3 classes of mechanic that are used in a majority of games. If that's the case it's definitely a small enough field to write a useful guide about.
If you think there are only a few classes, would you care to list them?
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

Joben

• Bay Watcher
  • Elder Thing
    • View Profile
    • Lazy Lizard Gear
« Reply #7266 on: November 11, 2013, 06:52:10 pm »

If you think there are only a few classes, would you care to list them?

A few classes for each mechanic, not for complete games btw.

For example I'd say there are basically 3 common archetypes for having character stats affect rolls:

No Stats - Everyone is the same.
Straight Bonus/Penalty - "+1 To Rolls with Firearms" "-1 to rolls involving strength" etc.
Point Based - "For every X points in skill receive Y bonus (or increased chance of bonus)"

I haven't read all the RTD though, there may be other systems that have shown up repeatedly.
Broken Arrow - A small stats tweak to fix unrealistically overpowered arrows and bolts.

My RTD games: Roll To Raptor (On hold), Dino Arena

Execute/Dumbo.exe

• Bay Watcher
  • Never Types So Much As Punches The Keyboard
    • View Profile
« Reply #7267 on: November 11, 2013, 09:06:28 pm »

I've been making a massive RTD for a while now, and after making the words for the magic system, I've gone to making a system for making a company, and I want to see if you think this sounds cool to you, keep in mind, you don't have to do this.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
He knows how to fix River's tiredness.
Alan help.
IronyOwl   But Kyuubey can more or less be summed up as "You didn't ask."
15:52   IronyOwl   Whereas Dungbeetle is closer to "Fuck you."

Tsuchigumo550

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Artificer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7268 on: November 11, 2013, 09:36:31 pm »

I really want to build a game based on putting mythologies through the Large Hadron Collider rather than particles, and having an over-arching plot similar to Homestuck, but with more focus on the "I'm your enemy, and I don't play by the same rules as you do."

If nothing else, I'd like to run a game of eight where every player is in a different world, converging on a single boss.
There are words that make the booze plant possible. Just not those words.
Alright you two. Attempt to murder each other. Last one standing gets to participate in the next test.
DIRK: Pelvic thrusts will be my exclamation points.

SeriousConcentrate

• Bay Watcher
  • The Hollow Street Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #7269 on: November 11, 2013, 09:49:13 pm »

I'd play it. ^^^
SerCon Shorts: This Is How You Do It - Twenty-three one minute or less videos of random stupidity in AC:U, Bloodborne, DS2:SotFS, Salt & Sanctuary, and The Witcher 3.

SomeStupidGuy

• Bay Watcher
  • Just strummin' right along...
    • View Profile
« Reply #7270 on: November 11, 2013, 10:14:07 pm »

As would I.
Sounds neat. Possibly even neato.
Your favorite pinko progressive nerd-gal. Probably.

Fniff

• Bay Watcher
  • if you must die, die spectacularly
    • View Profile
« Reply #7271 on: November 11, 2013, 10:38:21 pm »

That sounds interesting.

I was thinking of an RTD idea I had. Basically, mission by mission thing. Idea is: it's the future. You are an Asset Recovery Team, freelancers sent in by corporations and governments to find out what happened to spaceships that have gone off the grid. Players can choose to be either Security (Has a plasma rifle and a stunstick), Engineer (Has a toolbox and a plasma cutter), or Medical (Has medicine and a syringe gun). They are sent onto spaceships with three main objectives each mission: "Recover survivors", "Recover important items", and "Find out what happened". On the ship, they have to deal with xenos, cultists, pirates, genestealers, and all the unpleasant things that either ended the ship or were attracted to it after the ship got destroyed. After the mission, they can spend points (which are earned by completing the objectives) on items to help them on their mission.

Good idea? Anyone have any suggestions to make it better?

Persus13

• Bay Watcher
  • 6th King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #7272 on: November 11, 2013, 10:59:46 pm »

Sounds a little like Einsteinian Roulette, but I'd be fine with playing it.
Congratulations Persus, now you are forced to have the same personal text for an entire year!
Longbowmen horsearcher doomstacks that suffer no attrition and can navigate all major rivers without ships.
Sigtext

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
  • Tail of a stinging scorpion scourge
    • View Profile
« Reply #7273 on: November 12, 2013, 08:29:58 am »

Dystopiamon: Pokémon taken through the most cynical filter possible, basically an RTD where the World Government schools children in "monster taming' so  that they can become better soldiers when they grow up. And the "mons" aren't the cutesy kind in those types of games, they kill people, eat them and possibly rape the corpse.

Sadly I think piecewise is the only person who could theoretically run this horror show.
7/10 Has much more memorable sigs but casts them to the realm of sigtexts.

Indeed, I do this.

Tsuchigumo550

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Artificer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7274 on: November 12, 2013, 05:33:12 pm »

I think if someone did a "Nuzlocke" styled Pokemon RtD (fights can and will cause fatal injury, personally, I think taking enough damage to faint should cause a roll-to-live to happen, but if a Caterpie takes a Fire Blast, it's guaranteed dead.)

There are words that make the booze plant possible. Just not those words.
Alright you two. Attempt to murder each other. Last one standing gets to participate in the next test.
DIRK: Pelvic thrusts will be my exclamation points.
Pages: 1 ... 483 484 [485] 486 487 ... 661