Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 485 486 [487] 488 489 ... 661

Author Topic: Roller's Block (RTD Brainstorming Thread) (HAPPY LATE BIRTHDAY) (Derm is 5k)  (Read 699477 times)

flabort

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a demilich, despite the 4e and 5e nerfs
    • View Profile
Re: Roller's Block (RTD Brainstorming Thread) (HAPPY LATE BIRTHDAY) (Derm is 5k)
« Reply #7290 on: November 13, 2013, 09:19:04 pm »

I use real dice when possible, but allow myself to use online rollers when I don't have that size die handy (Such as the infamous 42d63-378 that I have in my notes somewhere for calculating money earned).
The Cyan Menace

Went away for a while, came back, went away for a while, and back for now.

SealyStar

• Bay Watcher
  • Gargoyles! Psychics!
    • View Profile
Re: Roller's Block (RTD Brainstorming Thread) (HAPPY LATE BIRTHDAY) (Derm is 5k)
« Reply #7291 on: November 13, 2013, 09:39:58 pm »

I use real dice when possible, but allow myself to use online rollers when I don't have that size die handy (Such as the infamous 42d63-378 that I have in my notes somewhere for calculating money earned).
At that level of bizarre numbers I think it's less dice and more just an RNG.

Oh, by the way, my proposed method alluded to above is drawing cards.
I assume it was about cod tendies and an austerity-caused crunch in the supply of good boy points.

mastahcheese

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 20% less sanity and trans fat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7292 on: November 13, 2013, 10:02:14 pm »

At that level of bizarre numbers I think it's less dice and more just an RNG.

Oh, by the way, my proposed method alluded to above is drawing cards.
I think that would still work.
After all, a random card draw isn't much different from the number draw a die gives.
Oh look, I have a steam account.
Might as well chalk it up to Pathos.
As this point we might as well invoke interpretive dance and call it a day.
The Derail Thread

Fniff

• Bay Watcher
  • if you must die, die spectacularly
    • View Profile
« Reply #7293 on: November 13, 2013, 10:06:08 pm »

Someone should run a Fallen London RTD.

flabort

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7294 on: November 13, 2013, 10:08:33 pm »

Yes, you could have something like this:
Spades: Fail
Clubs: Medium Success
Hearts: Success
Diamonds: Crit Success

A: Crit Success, regardless of Suit.
J: Bad effect regardless of Suit - independent of Suit
Q: Bad effect regardless of Suit - independant of Suit
K: Critical Fail, regardless of Suit.
#: Results are better the lower the number. Competing draws go for lower numbers (2 or A is best). 2 ALMOST negates a failure, 10 ALMOST negates a Success.
The Cyan Menace

mastahcheese

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7295 on: November 13, 2013, 10:26:52 pm »

Ok, so I've thought of a game concept.

Six-Shooter

Basically, everyone gets a gun with 6 shots, each shot is numbered 1 to 6, and when you shoot, you roll a D6, and fire that bullet.
So you can't roll the same number twice with the same gun.
So if you roll a 1 and have your gun jam on the first shot, then at least you'll be absolutely positive that it won't roll a 1 again, because your "1" has already been fired.
Conversely, if you roll your 5 and 6 right from the get go, then you know the rest of your bullets suck, and you can run to grab someone else's gun, likely from the guys you killed with your 5 and 6.

The way damage would work is like this.
1= weapon jam, have to spend a turn to clear it.
2= miss
3= leg shot, halves their movement
4= arm shot, gives them a harder time shooting people.
5= Kill shot
6= Head shot (gives you bonus points, or something.)

If someone is behind cover, or very far away, or your arm has been hit, then the results are just shifted along one, so that 2-3 are misses (only a 1 would jam, because being behind cover doesn't make a gun jam more often) and you need a 4 to hit the leg, 5 to hit the arm, and a 6 to kill. You could even shift it again if multiple things make it harder.
Also, if you get hit in the arms/legs twice, it would kill you, be it from two leg shots, two arm shots, or one of each, to make things simpler/run faster.

It would be a very lethal, fast paced arena game, in general.
The Derail Thread

Person

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7296 on: November 13, 2013, 11:31:17 pm »

Seems pretty neat. I imagine a number of spinoffs would be possible. Kinda want to make rules for a magic gunslinger (spellslinger? magic bullet?) game or something. The concept has been brewing in my head for years(possibly a decade) so yeah. You just reminded me of that.

Edit: You know, I'm probably designing way too many games at once. Always been a bad habit of mine to have trouble finishing things.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2013, 11:37:38 pm by Person »
Please don't let textbooks invade Bay12.
The Conquistadors only have the faintest idea of what the modern world is like when they are greeted by two hostile WWI Veterans riding on a giant potato; Welcome to 2016.

mastahcheese

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7297 on: November 13, 2013, 11:55:06 pm »

I went ahead and made it.
It shouldn't last long before someone wins.
The Derail Thread

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
  • Tail of a stinging scorpion scourge
    • View Profile
« Reply #7298 on: November 14, 2013, 08:51:00 am »

So furthering my "Dystopiamon" idea, what if we made some of the more famous Bay12ers into "mons"?

Just imagine a little Derm saying its name in a Pikachu voice while exploding someone into a pile of organs.
7/10 Has much more memorable sigs but casts them to the realm of sigtexts.

Indeed, I do this.

flabort

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7299 on: November 14, 2013, 09:26:32 pm »

((Warning: TV Tropes!))

I don't think the shortened form of the word fits B12 very well.
The full word fits much better.

That being said, that's an awesome idea, and you should run with it.
The Cyan Menace

Dermonster

• Bay Watcher
  • Break the world, see what falls out.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7300 on: November 14, 2013, 09:31:45 pm »

DO EET
I can do anything I want, as long as I accept the consequences.
"Y'know, my favorite thing about being a hero is that it gives you all kinds of narrative justification to just slay any ol' jerk who gets in the way - Black Mage.
"The bulk of [Derm]'s atrocities seem to stem from him doing things that [Magic] doesn't actually do." - TvTropes
"Dammit Derm!" - You, if I'm doing it right.
Moved to SufficientVelocity / Spacebattles.

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably browsing tasteful erotic dolphin photos
    • View Profile
« Reply #7301 on: November 15, 2013, 01:00:04 am »

Why can I not stop thinking of concepts? WHY??!

Small Mercies

Small: Adjective.
1: Little in size
2: Few in number or little in amount
3: Unimportant, not worth mentioning (Old World Slang)

Mercy: Noun.
1: Kind or forgiving treatment of someone who could be treated harshly
2: Kindness or help given to people who are in a very bad or desperate situation
3: A mercenary (New World Slang)

These are brave new worlds, and no god ever shaped them for the meek. The endless run of centuries has carved and recarved history, running through the same paths and deep grooves that shaped the endless centuries before. The carvers changed, the tools changed, the audience changed, but the work runs ever on. We live, we love, we strive. We kill, we hate, we die. Small, ugly, misshapen lives, yet they seem to be all humanity has ever sought to carve. Points of beauty, framed by irredeemable flaws.
   We left the cradle of one world centuries ago, perhaps tens of centuries ago. Time has become a difficult thing to measure. We flung ourselves into the weft of the universe, relying on pathless tracks jointed by quantum leaps to make our way back home again. Not everyone made it back home, but not all of those who lost themselves to endless stars did die. The sprawl of Earth, the fabled homeworld, grew in size. Those that were once nations of one world began to spread across the heavens, growing endlessly. Growing endlessly even as cancer spread from within. War never really stopped, not when we were so large. Even on fabled Earth, there was always war, always a battle. Even when we were so few that our numbers could be measured to within an accuracy of a few million, there was never a moment undisturbed by the rage of gunfire, never a second that did not hold the scream of the dying. What did we think would happen? Did we think there would be peace when we hurled ourselves into the sky?
   If we did, we were fools.
   Time passed. Our methods of travel advanced, and we no longer relied on the quicksilver jumps and paths that once were our pinnacle. Lost empires were re-united, and our joyful embrace to see our lost brothers only served to hide the daggers in our sleeves. Nations broke, reformed, burned the skies, and broke again. The years turned, and pioneers continued the march of colonization endlessly while the empires their children wrought decayed and broke apart behind them. Time became fluid, places became fluid, names became fluid. The capital of every great empire was Earth, and every great empire had lasted since the beginning of colonization. One empire might have actually contained fabled Earth, but if they did, they wouldn't have known. We made so much history, the history of a thousand new worlds and a hundred civilizations, that the history of one world, and the meager handful of civilizations that had once inhabited it was lost. It didn't matter. Perhaps it never did. What the most powerful empire said was the truth, everything else, propaganda and deception.
   Those that live now are the children of a thousand empires, a blend of old world races and new world engineering. For the most part, they live their lives. Some live as kings, with technology and power unimaginable to the first souls that left fabled Earth, but others live less ably, primitive and backward even by the standards of the souls of old.  Humanity as a single race still lives, within accountable deviation, but the great dream of the human race as a single people... That has been shattered, lost forever. It was a very foolish dream.

There have, however, always been those people who sought to carve their own lives, to make their own paths. The stroke that guides the carving of humanity is not the stroke that guides the individual and, if only for a brief time, heroes have escaped the worn groove that has been cut into history. In the old world, there was little room for these people, little freedom for the different. Now... those that would have been criminals and treasonous revolutionaries, they are assets. Mercenaries, smugglers, freelancers, privateers, bootstrappers, a thousand different names for the people who resist the tie to any one empire, to any home but the one they create. They are the bastard children of the stars, and you are one of them. 
« Last Edit: November 15, 2013, 12:49:38 pm by Draignean »
I have a degree in Computer Seance, that means I'm officially qualified to tell you that the problem with your system is that it's possessed by Satan.
---
Q: "Do you have any idea what you're doing?"
A: "No, not particularly."

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7302 on: November 15, 2013, 03:05:14 am »

Why can I not stop thinking of concepts? WHY??!
Because the human mind never stops dreaming.

But it does get bored when writing rules. <This is why I have not made RTDs for quite a while, even though I kinda want to.
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

Kadzar

• Bay Watcher
  • Descan Pengwind
    • View Profile
What if the earth is just a knick in one of the infinite swords of the mighty fractal bear?
Glory to Arstotzka!

Gamerlord

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #7304 on: November 15, 2013, 03:51:08 am »

-Awesome-
Fuck yes!
Already dibbing a spot in that game. Draignean, if you run it PM ME PLEASE.
Pages: 1 ... 485 486 [487] 488 489 ... 661