Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 528 529 [530] 531 532 ... 661

Author Topic: Roller's Block (RTD Brainstorming Thread) (HAPPY LATE BIRTHDAY) (Derm is 5k)  (Read 699501 times)

kisame12794

• Bay Watcher
  • !!Arc Welder!!
    • View Profile

So, I was thinking of running a loot centered exploration game set in a world similar to the Zone from the game series STALKER. Players would explore the world in teams or alone, and would brave mutants, bandits and anomalies to find mysterious Artifacts of varying size, usefulness, and value. Each artifact has a Size, Material, Effect(s), and Home Anomaly. Each effect also has a potency value. Players can sell artifacts for cash, use them to barter, or, if you find one that seems particularly helpful, equip them to gain the effects. Not all effects will be beneficial, and some artifacts will be deadly. Right now all I've got is a bunch of ideas and a totally basic artifact generator table though, so any tips on creating random item creation tables would be appreciated.
The non-assholes vastly outnumber the assholes but the assholes can fart with greater volume.
((You're an arm and a torso in low orbit. This was the best possible resolution of things.))

Fniff

• Bay Watcher
  • if you must die, die spectacularly
    • View Profile

Feel free to use any of my generators. Aside from that, very interesting idea. I'm personally working on a map making system for my suggestion game, so we can share notes if you want some inspiration on randomly generated maps that can be easily wrote on a spreadsheet.

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile

-fluff-

Seems like good fluff! I approve.

-crunch-

Oh gods, too many skills and attributes and I don't even know what else.

I feel ambivalent about the idea now.

So, I was thinking of running a loot centered exploration game set in a world similar to the Zone from the game series STALKER. Players would explore the world in teams or alone, and would brave mutants, bandits and anomalies to find mysterious Artifacts of varying size, usefulness, and value. Each artifact has a Size, Material, Effect(s), and Home Anomaly. Each effect also has a potency value. Players can sell artifacts for cash, use them to barter, or, if you find one that seems particularly helpful, equip them to gain the effects. Not all effects will be beneficial, and some artifacts will be deadly. Right now all I've got is a bunch of ideas and a totally basic artifact generator table though, so any tips on creating random item creation tables would be appreciated.

I'd advise not getting carried away with random generation - maybe you can roll for potency value, general intent of the artifact (beneficial, weird, harmful etc.) and perhaps use the time-honored method of rolling on a list of random words (nouns, verbs, adjectives) to get a feel for the general theme of the thing. Most importantly, make your own lists and only use other generators as inspiration.

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile

I seriously don't understand the stigma over having more than an average amount of attributes or skills. It's not like it's a serious problem for the players--The only time they have to put any effort into looking at them is in the beginning, creating a character sheet. And once and a while, spending a couple seconds seeing their value in the attribute/skill if they want to use something related--and for GMs like me, we spend more time and effort thinking of writing fluff than looking at stats and hey, once again the most time they'll be looking at those stats is when creating an NPC (where we can cut out any bit that isn't ever going to be used by the NPC) or a player, wherein the only time they'll ever look at those stats again is when they're being used.

Really, it's not like the player will have to look at their entire sheet every time a turn comes, or the GM for that matter. At most, they'll have to look at, what, one or two stats? And even then, they're just numbers.
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

kisame12794

• Bay Watcher
  • !!Arc Welder!!
    • View Profile

Well, the current table I've got really only needs balance. All I've got are eight effects, six materials, and four sizes. Not a whole hell of a lot of rolling, but until I balance it you can get insanely powerful artifacts right off the bat. I'm thinking of adding the detectors from the series and limiting the artifacts you can find by the tier of detector you have. So, if you have a tier 1 detector you can't find Large artifacts, or at least, it's extremely rare, and having a tier 5 detector means you have an equal chance to find all four sizes.
The non-assholes vastly outnumber the assholes but the assholes can fart with greater volume.
((You're an arm and a torso in low orbit. This was the best possible resolution of things.))

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile

I seriously don't understand the stigma over having more than an average amount of attributes or skills. It's not like it's a serious problem for the players--The only time they have to put any effort into looking at them is in the beginning, creating a character sheet. And once and a while, spending a couple seconds seeing their value in the attribute/skill if they want to use something related--and for GMs like me, we spend more time and effort thinking of writing fluff than looking at stats and hey, once again the most time they'll be looking at those stats is when creating an NPC (where we can cut out any bit that isn't ever going to be used by the NPC) or a player, wherein the only time they'll ever look at those stats again is when they're being used.

Really, it's not like the player will have to look at their entire sheet every time a turn comes, or the GM for that matter. At most, they'll have to look at, what, one or two stats? And even then, they're just numbers.

The stigma about it lies mostly in the fact that it's one of the primary signs an RTD isn't going to last more than a couple of turns, barring very special cases, because it practically screams lack of forethought. Each piece of armor has its own separate HP and damage absorption value (each boot, greave and pauldron is tracked separately, no less), the social skills are completely ridiculous in their specificity or basic nature (seriously, 'word weaseler'?), and there's separate skills for moving in armor and absorbing blows in armor. It's somewhat indicative of a problematic complexity addiction, and doesn't really seem easy to work with at all, considering that it has changing die sizes and continuous experience gains and stat mutability. At the end of the day, it's just plain inelegant is what I'm trying to say here, but that's just my take on things. I'm rather against mechanical complexity in RTDs in general, because the format's basic draw is that it's easy to get into, play and perform interesting antics in.

And if a zero in a stat doesn't give you penalties (it's unclear from the description on whether it does or not), one has to wonder if the entire game wouldn't be better served by disposing of the stats altogether and simply having a perk system instead, where you mention your special skills and the rest are assumed to be normal unless stated otherwise.

Well, the current table I've got really only needs balance. All I've got are eight effects, six materials, and four sizes. Not a whole hell of a lot of rolling, but until I balance it you can get insanely powerful artifacts right off the bat. I'm thinking of adding the detectors from the series and limiting the artifacts you can find by the tier of detector you have. So, if you have a tier 1 detector you can't find Large artifacts, or at least, it's extremely rare, and having a tier 5 detector means you have an equal chance to find all four sizes.

One question: how about finding artifacts without a detector? Will that be possible? Also, I'd like to see some Gargantuan and Colossal artifacts. Especially if they're malevolent.

kisame12794

• Bay Watcher
  • !!Arc Welder!!
    • View Profile

Certain artifacts will be able to be found without detectors, but again the size would be limited. You also spawn with a T1 detector, but if you lose it or it breaks you'll still be able to find a tiny artifact to help pay to replace it. Tiny artifacts are under one pound and have one effect, positive or negative, Small artifacts are one pound and have two effects, Medium artifacts are 2.5 pounds and have three effects, and Large artifacts are 5 pounds and have four artifacts. I suppose I could add two more sizes, and just have them have 5 and 6 effects respectively. And as for malevolent artifacts, having six negative effects would be pretty damn hilarious.

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

...because it practically screams lack of forethought.
Hence the testing. Also, I've been working on the RTD for many months now.

Each piece of armor has its own separate HP and damage absorption value (each boot, greave and pauldron is tracked separately, no less),
I don't see a particularly serious danger in that, I don't foresee the players swapping out armor every couple of turns.

the social skills are completely ridiculous in their specificity or basic nature (seriously, 'word weaseler'?)
Like I said, the test is outdated, the social skills have been reduced from 10 to 7.

Word Weasler is referring to sneaking words out of people without them noticing. Countering that is Speech Control, which resists that. I admit, those two are a bit sketchy, and potentially redundant (in fact, I might have had that opinion for a while), and I may have to review them. However, I'd be far more helpful if someone had an idea what other stat to use in any particular case where someone tries to sneak words out of someone but where it still makes sense.

and there's separate skills for moving in armor and absorbing blows in armor.
That's because there's a difference between moving around in armor without getting weighed down, and absorbing hits. A difference between knowing how to take blows so it hits your armor in the right place where your armor takes the most damage and your person the least, and not getting slowed down by massive plate mail and missing your target.

It's somewhat indicative of a problematic complexity addiction, and doesn't really seem easy to work with at all, considering that it has changing die sizes and continuous experience gains and stat mutability.
If I had a complexity addiction, I would have far more stats. I have as few stats as possible for as many unique situations, barring maybe a couple. And at the end of the day, after RTD of the Dragon, I'd rather have a more complex system where there's an obvious stat to use than one that is so simplified that I can't decide (I have a serious problem with indecision). Maybe if I have an RTD recently fail due to complexity I'll change my opinion, but that's my stance for the moment.

The dice size changes indeed might be a problem. I've thought it through, and I'd probably use a quick "Cheat Sheet" whenever people get into a situation where the skills are likely to be used multiple times in a short time. That should alleviate a significant part of the problem. For the players it should be even easier as they don't really need to know the exact roll sizes every turn.

At the end of the day, it's just plain inelegant is what I'm trying to say here, but that's just my take on things. I'm rather against mechanical complexity in RTDs in general, because the format's basic draw is that it's easy to get into, play and perform interesting antics in.
Well, we'll have to agree to disagree then. I don't believe in RTDs meaning a simple, dice based system. I believe in it meaning a system based mainly on dice rolls.

And if a zero in a stat doesn't give you penalties (it's unclear from the description on whether it does or not), one has to wonder if the entire game wouldn't be better served by disposing of the stats altogether and simply having a perk system instead, where you mention your special skills and the rest are assumed to be normal unless stated otherwise.
They do give penalties. A significant one, in fact. The average, where there's no penalties, is 25. Yes, it is a bit odd, but consider that the alternative is having everything starting at -25. No perfect solution.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2014, 04:55:57 pm by Tarran »
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

Fniff

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

So, if the main point of an RTD that it is based mainly on dice rolls, what's the difference between it and a regular tabletop game? Saying RTDs are based on dice rolls is like saying that an FPS is based on reflexes. Yes, that's the most basic form of it, but it is not the main attraction.

Dermonster

• Bay Watcher
  • Break the world, see what falls out.
    • View Profile

So, if the main point of an RTD that it is based mainly on dice rolls, what's the difference between it and a regular tabletop game? Saying RTDs are based on dice rolls is like saying that an FPS is based on reflexes. Yes, that's the most basic form of it, but it is not the main attraction.

RTD's are supposed to be 'quick'n'dirty' tabletop games.

Some people didn't get the memo and wrote fifty pages of rules, though.
I can do anything I want, as long as I accept the consequences.
"Y'know, my favorite thing about being a hero is that it gives you all kinds of narrative justification to just slay any ol' jerk who gets in the way - Black Mage.
"The bulk of [Derm]'s atrocities seem to stem from him doing things that [Magic] doesn't actually do." - TvTropes
"Dammit Derm!" - You, if I'm doing it right.
Moved to SufficientVelocity / Spacebattles.

Fniff

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Precisely. This is like if someone tried to claim an RPG was an FPS because RPGs also involve clicking buttons.

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Last I checked, there wasn't some page somewhere listing what is, isn't, and what can never be an RTD on this forum. So you'll have to forgive me for having incorrect opinions on what an RTD is.

SeriousConcentrate

• Bay Watcher
  • The Hollow Street Hero
    • View Profile

Just run it in FG&RP. No more argument about it being an RTD. :P

That said, I don't mind some complexities in the character creation. It helps give each character a set role in the party and if it helps the GM decide what applies in certain situations, so much the better. I'm sure you remember the one RTD you were in that I ran for like ten turns where pretty much every damn thing defaulted to Intelligence because I didn't have anything better. :P
SerCon Shorts: This Is How You Do It - Twenty-three one minute or less videos of random stupidity in AC:U, Bloodborne, DS2:SotFS, Salt & Sanctuary, and The Witcher 3.

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably browsing tasteful erotic dolphin photos
    • View Profile

RTD's are supposed to be 'quick'n'dirty' tabletop games.

I disagree. RTD's, much like their content, vary wildly. By the definition you have, the 'best' RTDs would be the ones with with the quickest and dirtiest rules. Clearly, this is a definition of almost perfect fit to the minimalist genre. The logical extension of this is that Minimalist RTDs are the best RTDs, which is not something that I can believe. In fact, I would argue that your definition, that an RTD is defined by its accessibility and lack of rules, is far more guilty of an FPS analogy than Tarran's. Tarran's definition is useless because it is impossibly vague, but yours is downright misleading.

We can both agree that the distinction between an FPS and an RPG does not lie in its clever usage of clicky objects. However, there is nothing in this definition that prevents the two from crossing over a great deal. You seem to imply by your argument that the two domains can never touch, and that the perfect RTD is one that is quintessentially simple. Consider Fallout 3/NV, STALKER, any of the recent rash of zombie survival games, bioshock, etc. Are they first person shooters? Yes. They all involve shooting things while in the first person. Are they role-playing games? Yes. Some more so than others, but they all have a degree of choice and decision to be made by the player. The above games are both FPS and RPGs, and I think we can agree that they are the better for the mixture. A first person shooter, devoid of any other elements, is the most simplistic game imaginable with the sole exception of pong. When stripped of other influences, a first person shooter truly is a game about clicking on things quickly. An RTD, stripped of everything else, is a game that is, as you said, about being "quick'n'dirty": consisting basically of an OP with little to no information and a d6. I believe you are patently wrong, however, when you argue that this is what an RTD is "supposed" to be. An FPS that consists of nothing more than clicking rapidly while controlling something that shoots would be strange, boring, and very much like this. (Except with less story) A good first person shooter blends genres, taking elements from everyone else in order to create a better experience. Likewise, a good RTD cannot allow itself to be defined solely by simplicity.

An RTD is not a tabletop game, it is the bastard child of a tabletop game and gambling dice. Its rules and complexity varying on the sliding scale between needing three playing books and two supplementary manuals to understand on the upper limit, and simply remembering that the number '6' is higher than the number '1' on the lower limit. After we have found that there is both the rolling of dice and the dodging of objects, we have established an RTD, much as we can establish an FPS by the shooting of things while in the first person. This is not what the game is about, but it is the clinical definition. Just as the FPS can vary from Duke Nukem to Bioshock , so can the RTD vary from ROLL TO SET JULIE ANDREWS ON FIRE to Their Coming is at Hand. You cannot exclude something from being an RTD just because it is more than the simple creature captured by its most clinical definition.

tl;dr

I don't think you can meaningfully argue to exclude anything somebody made from the category of RTD as long as it involves rolling dice and dodging crap.

2-A genericish medieval fantasy RTD with Angels and Demons replacing Elves and Dwarves, and the bad guys being none of the four and not Human

'Splain! I'd like to hear about/possibly play in this one.
It's the notably less serious of all the others (that said, it isn't a silly RTD, the meaning is relative). It doesn't have a complex introduction or storyline, but here's the intro:
Spoiler: Intro (click to show/hide)

As for the rules, this RTD, should I chose to run it, will be one of the first that I try using an skill+attributes increases dice size rather than dice roll system. Might fail, might be awesome, have no idea. It also has a fairly non-generic system for combat, and numerous different skill types.

It also has more than trippledozen times as many character creation choices than most minimalist RTDs. Truefax.

Here's some experimentation I had a bit ago while designing the system. Do note, this was designed purely for me, so quite a few things are unexplained and some things are much more "raw" than they would be in the actual RTD. Heck, even I can't remember off-the-bat what some things mean without thinking on them for a while (I haven't worked on this for a notable amount of time). Also note that this is somewhat outdated (notably, percentage skill gains are not a thing anymore). Still, it gives a fair example of stuff that might be seen in the RTD.

If anyone wants explanations for any of the other 5, go ahead and ask. Do note, some will have more or less detailed answers as I have put differing types of effort on each.

From a balance standpoint, those armor and damage values seem like a frustration clusterfuck. Just from what I've played in other, admittedly non-RTD games, the higher your damage variance is, the more frustrating a weapon is. Add wildcard armor values to that, and survival can become almost as much luck as equipment.

I do agree with Harry Baldman, with experience from a similar armor system. Unless you're automating that partitioned armor, it's going to become a pain quickly. Players will also swap out their armor as soon as it becomes convenient.
I have a degree in Computer Seance, that means I'm officially qualified to tell you that the problem with your system is that it's possessed by Satan.
---
Q: "Do you have any idea what you're doing?"
A: "No, not particularly."

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Suddenly, Draignean comes in and bulldozers even the simplest of posts. :D

Just run it in FG&RP. No more argument about it being an RTD. :P
But then the terrorists will win.

Tarran's definition is useless because it is impossibly vague,
Yeah, it is, but once again, it's my personal opinion on what could be accepted as one. By no means did I suggest others use it. By god I do hope it's never used officially.

From a balance standpoint, those armor and damage values seem like a frustration clusterfuck. Just from what I've played in other, admittedly non-RTD games, the higher your damage variance is, the more frustrating a weapon is.
The weapons in the test are not representative of what the weapons in the finished versions may be. Remember, this test was taken with only me in mind, and it was literally the first test, which was even before I started setting in stone the values of different types of weapons and material types. But point taken.

Add wildcard armor values to that, and survival can become almost as much luck as equipment.
Once again, nothing is set in stone, but you have a point there. In some way, I wanted to simulate that armor has weak points, so armor isn't this indestructible wall that prevents players from ever taking damage as long as it's up, or something that takes the same percentage damage all the time. As an RTD, I also wanted to try to make it so dice factor in somehow.

I do agree with Harry Baldman, with experience from a similar armor system. Unless you're automating that partitioned armor, it's going to become a pain quickly. Players will also swap out their armor as soon as it becomes convenient.
Experience? Do tell, I'm legitimately curious what game has partitioned armor. Anyway, coming from you I... guess can believe it.

Also, remember, "convenient" can vary wildly depending on what the GM throws at them. If I really legitimately end up disliking how much they change armor I could throw enemies with no armor or weaker armor. Yes, I know that's not perfect but it's always an option. :P
Pages: 1 ... 528 529 [530] 531 532 ... 661