Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 575 576 [577] 578 579 ... 661

Author Topic: Roller's Block (RTD Brainstorming Thread) (HAPPY LATE BIRTHDAY) (Derm is 5k)  (Read 702574 times)

Dermonster

• Bay Watcher
  • Break the world, see what falls out.
    • View Profile
Re: Roller's Block (RTD Brainstorming Thread) (HAPPY LATE BIRTHDAY) (Derm is 5k)
« Reply #8640 on: February 04, 2015, 12:26:38 am »

I told you, it's just like that unspecified Empire management game I mentioned in steam.
I can do anything I want, as long as I accept the consequences.
"Y'know, my favorite thing about being a hero is that it gives you all kinds of narrative justification to just slay any ol' jerk who gets in the way - Black Mage.
"The bulk of [Derm]'s atrocities seem to stem from him doing things that [Magic] doesn't actually do." - TvTropes
"Dammit Derm!" - You, if I'm doing it right.
Moved to SufficientVelocity / Spacebattles.

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
  • Not to be confused with infinity
    • View Profile
Re: Roller's Block (RTD Brainstorming Thread) (HAPPY LATE BIRTHDAY) (Derm is 5k)
« Reply #8641 on: February 06, 2015, 04:41:15 pm »

You know, that could work. An "asynchronous" structure to the game where players don't all submit actions at the same time... On the other hand, I could end up only focusing on one player for a long time just because they made some actions on a small scale.

Maybe I should just make this into a suggestion game. It would fix all the problems with timescale, because the characters wouldn't have a specific player associated with them.

I am having this issue in my current game, where sometimes I go off on a tangent and have NPC's talk to a player, only to swamp the thread with back-and-forth conversation while getting everyone else lost.

The issue with a suggestion game is that you don't get hectic competition between players. Unless I am unaware what a suggestion game actually is. It would be more well-suited to a game where the players are all working toward the same goal.
Have I now become your enemy by telling you the truth? (Gal 4:16)

Person

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8642 on: February 08, 2015, 03:13:43 pm »

Right, I'm seriously considering running a minimalist game right now.

Here's the basics.

The players?

Space ship pilots, each in a ship defined by a phrase of their choosing!

Their enemy? The DOOM CRUISER!

A giant interplanetary attack ship that is heading towards THE PLANET!

Their mission? Save THE PLANET from destruction!

Every 2 turns, the DOOM CRUISER rolls a die to choose what weapon to fire. The same roll can't occur twice in a row(yay, variety). The DOOM CRUISER's weapons, are of course, secret at first.

Heavy amounts of player death and waitlist cycling are the key here. The basic idea is that THE PLANET currently only has limited range fighters to deploy at this part of the space age, but they sure do have a lot of them. Players get to define their ship because otherwise turns would just be "I shoot the DOOM CRUISER with my most effective gun for this situation", or "Dodge the thing that's going to kill me probably", from every player, for the entire game. If you choose a weird concept like "Time travel" for your ship, I reserve the right to ruin your day somehow. Maybe I'll make it so that phrases can't be reused, but that feels a bit too harsh.

Edit: Also, this game is totally an excuse for me to say the word doom as much as possible. So, any interest? That's mainly what I'm posting it here.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2015, 04:02:50 pm by Person »
Please don't let textbooks invade Bay12.
The Conquistadors only have the faintest idea of what the modern world is like when they are greeted by two hostile WWI Veterans riding on a giant potato; Welcome to 2016.

darkpaladin109

• Bay Watcher
  • has no intention of returning here
    • View Profile
« Reply #8643 on: February 08, 2015, 04:04:01 pm »

Right, I'm seriously considering running a minimalist game right now.

Here's the basics.

The players?

Space ship pilots, each in a ship defined by a phrase of their choosing!

Their enemy? The DOOM CRUISER!

A giant interplanetary attack ship that is heading towards THE PLANET!

Their mission? Save THE PLANET from destruction!

Every 2 turns, the DOOM CRUISER rolls a die to choose what weapon to fire. The same roll can't occur twice in a row(yay, variety). The DOOM CRUISER's weapons, are of course, secret at first.

Heavy amounts of player death and waitlist cycling are the key here. The basic idea is that THE PLANET currently only has limited range fighters to deploy at this part of the space age, but they sure do have a lot of them. Players get to define their ship because otherwise turns would just be "I shoot the DOOM CRUISER with my most effective gun for this situation", or "Dodge the thing that's going to kill me probably", from every player, for the entire game. If you choose a weird concept like "Time travel" for your ship, I reserve the right to ruin your day somehow. Maybe I'll make it so that phrases can't be reused, but that feels a bit too harsh.

Edit: Also, this game is totally an excuse for me to say the word doom as much as possible. So, any interest? That's mainly what I'm posting it here.
I would totally play that.

Tsuchigumo550

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Artificer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8644 on: February 08, 2015, 06:42:47 pm »

I'm sorely tempted to devise a small amount of rules for an absurd cop-movie type of game, near-minimalist but not truly "roll this same die for everything"

Layout One: Party Game, Simultaneous

In this mode, the GM plays as a crook/the crooks, and the players are cops. Requires some kind of map, especially a large one. Criminal's goal is to escape the city, but this is very difficult as nearly all escape routes are blocked off, aside from a few (not one, since the players can just guard that one zone.) Cops within a certain distance of the criminal have a chance to spot them, it's fairly high- once spotted, the criminal must spend a number of turns out of any cop's potential sight to escape sight. If one cop can see the criminal, they all know the criminal's location.

The criminal can Hide in an area once they escape sight, however- they're effectively removed from the map, but the police know what area they're in. Each search of the area has a chance to reveal the criminal, but the Criminal can leave from any edge of that area after a couple of turns. A criminal can't hide in every area, and some are easier to remain undetected than others.

Each cop has access to different abilities- such as Motorcycle Cop, which increases their movement across the map in general, Corrupt Cop, which increases chances to find a criminal in areas where they're unlikely to be found by searching, and/or Tazer Cop, who can capture a criminal at a slight distance.

Interrogations and interrogation skills might come into play for a longer session, as well. There's only so much time and only 3 "sessions" (rolls) can be done before they're carted off to jail.

Every player gets a wealth of points, of which I haven't got a name for yet, which allows them to pull crazy actions (like a Driver Cop setting his cruise control to "LET'S DO THIS", before jumping out and using his cop car as a missile) at the cost of one point. Each session increases the count, as well as certain actions, possibly interrogations. This lets flavor in- as a 70s or 80s action-movie type affair, or even future-cops with tech they aren't supposed to use. Players can even suggest their own skills.
There are words that make the booze plant possible. Just not those words.
Alright you two. Attempt to murder each other. Last one standing gets to participate in the next test.
DIRK: Pelvic thrusts will be my exclamation points.

Execute/Dumbo.exe

• Bay Watcher
  • Never Types So Much As Punches The Keyboard
    • View Profile
« Reply #8645 on: February 12, 2015, 11:11:14 pm »

Hmmm.
Hey guys, what would your thoughts be on a book based RTD?
Not one singular book, but a setting in which you must go into certain books to set situations right, from some sort of unknowable evil wanting to... Ruin literacy, or something, one ability would be the capability to use any powers learnt in any of the books, so learning magic from the discworld books, that magic can then be used in something like Skullduggery Pleasant, but, if you are so inclined, you may choose to lock yourself into a certain setting, specific parts of it as well, so you can lock into the magic of Artemis Fowl and the physical capabilities from Good Omens.

As well as this, failing to set things right in a book will cause the rest of that series to be locked off, but this shouldn't be too much of a problem, I'll try to make starts of series easier.
The good thing about this is the fact I don't need to get worried bout planning, the books do that for me, plus, as well as helping me with broadening my literacy bounds, I think it would be awesome to take sanguines Razor and use it for yourself, right?

First up, however, If people like this, I wouldn't mind some book suggestions.
He knows how to fix River's tiredness.
Alan help.
IronyOwl   But Kyuubey can more or less be summed up as "You didn't ask."
15:52   IronyOwl   Whereas Dungbeetle is closer to "Fuck you."

The Ensorceler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8646 on: February 13, 2015, 12:44:33 pm »

Well, if you want to get meta about it, the Inkheart series could be interesting, as powers learn't there would allow cross genre summonings and the like, but for an endgame, I'd suggest Ready Player One, by Ernest Cline. For hilarity value, long lasting forum games probably also count as literature, as would historical documents (fail that, and you can't go back to the real world, as its series is 'locked'). Interesting concept, and it sounds good enough to inspire successor games like perplexicon did.

Execute/Dumbo.exe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8647 on: February 13, 2015, 04:41:22 pm »

Right, well, I will see about getting those ones, but for a starter, I think Skullduggery Pleasant might be in order, I was going to go with Good Omens, but unfortunately I believe I may have  lost that book after years and years of constant re reading, so there's a choice for now, oh wait no I just found it okay then working on the intro to Good Omens.
Alan help.

Execute/Dumbo.exe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8648 on: February 13, 2015, 05:44:53 pm »

Okay, sorry for double posting, but I just want to throw this quick and dirty intro out here:
Chapter 1:
GFood Omens.
The nice and accurate prophecies of Agnes Nutter, Witch.

Not many people know that nice also means 'scrupulously exact', nor do many people know that Fent is another word for a scrap of cloth, well, tailors might, but do keep your hands down for the proceedings here, will you? Good, anyway, to continue, there are quite a surprising amount of variety in the English language as long as you are willing to look for them, putting them together is an entirely different matter as English wasn't and still isn't known as the most straightforward language available, nor, from a completely objective perspective, is any language, really. I digress (Again), what I want to say is simply this.
Writers make their own worlds, simply from the material of words, the best can make living worlds, one that you see and truly believe that world, get immersed in the matter of the world but something is messing with it all, from the weirdest novels to the paragons of the art, all seem to be getting the smallest alterations that can and will make all of it fall apart at the seams.
Luckily enough, or unluckily, from your perspective, you and a undefinable numbers of chums have been thrown into what looks like a large antique house, every room having stores of books, they could be used as bloody armour for the amount that exist, you would probably bet on the walls being made out of repurposed books, honestly.

Still, it does look homey, and you always were a bit of a bookworm, it could be nice to sit down for a while and read something.
Alan help.

Fniff

• Bay Watcher
  • if you must die, die spectacularly
    • View Profile
« Reply #8649 on: February 18, 2015, 08:29:18 am »

I'm making an urban fantasy RTD, and I'm having trouble coming up with a setting.
I need a place that is essentially the modern version of the standard D&D 'town near a dungeon'. Since the players are what happens if you interpret the 'murder hobo' aspect of D&D adventurers literally, it's probably not going to be that nice.
I had an idea that it could be like Centralia, Pennsylvania. A mostly abandoned town due to a dangerous environment, only populated by old people refusing to leave. The players would be then going into the town to essentially strip all the cool loot from it then leave. I worry that might be too similar to the S.T.A.L.K.E.R series, however.
Would anyone have any advice?

Digital Hellhound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8650 on: February 18, 2015, 09:41:41 am »

A huge, sprawling abandoned industrial complex, maybe? It could be unexplainably bigger than any real factory, by a normal, living city. Give it a suitably ominous name and have no-one know what company actually owned the place or what precisely was produced. The regular people of the city might just not give it any thought, for magical or mundane reasons.

Depending on how 'hidden' you want the supernatural to be... you could have a sort magical undertown for the city, with all sorts of mystical critters. Not the most original of ideas, but *shrug*. I think your mostly abandoned town idea is good, though - add a little (or a lot) of mystery and horror, subtle stuff, and you're set. You gotta have mystery and horror.
Russia is simply taking an anti-Fascist stance against European Nazi products, they should be applauded. ¡No parmesan!

Fniff

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8651 on: February 18, 2015, 10:03:40 am »

I really like the idea of a huge sprawling abandoned industrial complex. Perhaps my idea about semi-abandoned town could also fit into it. Maybe the industrial complex was the primary employer of the town up until it was abandoned by the mysterious corporation who owned it. So most of the population was made redundant, and thus moved away resulting in a ghost town. The only people left were the ones who had jobs unrelated to the factory and thus don't know much about it except that urban explorers and kids sometimes disappear inside, probably due to something mundane like unstable floors or rabid animals.

Here's a detail. The top part of the complex, the highest point, is shaped like a honeycomb. Thus, it got the nickname of 'the hive'.

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
« Reply #8652 on: February 18, 2015, 10:43:52 am »

I'm making an urban fantasy RTD, and I'm having trouble coming up with a setting.
I need a place that is essentially the modern version of the standard D&D 'town near a dungeon'. Since the players are what happens if you interpret the 'murder hobo' aspect of D&D adventurers literally, it's probably not going to be that nice.
I had an idea that it could be like Centralia, Pennsylvania. A mostly abandoned town due to a dangerous environment, only populated by old people refusing to leave. The players would be then going into the town to essentially strip all the cool loot from it then leave. I worry that might be too similar to the S.T.A.L.K.E.R series, however.

There's ghost towns like Centralia, of course. But why not go the other way with something like China's newly-built ghost cities? Imagine a city, pristine and new, filled with modern amenities, but too expensive for people to live in - so, in the absence of residents, supernatural forces move in. Not a very dangerous locale - it's the residents that'll get you. Some of them, anyway. After all, terrain hazards like you'd get in Centralia are impractical for a play-by-post game anyway.

Fniff

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8653 on: February 18, 2015, 10:48:51 am »

There's ghost towns like Centralia, of course. But why not go the other way with something like China's newly-built ghost cities? Imagine a city, pristine and new, filled with modern amenities, but too expensive for people to live in - so, in the absence of residents, supernatural forces move in. Not a very dangerous locale - it's the residents that'll get you. Some of them, anyway. After all, terrain hazards like you'd get in Centralia are impractical for a play-by-post game anyway.
Terrain hazards are difficult in a play-by-post. And the idea of a city (or at least a town) being built and abandoned just as quickly is interesting. Perhaps the complex wasn't even finished when shit presumably started going wrong. They hadn't even gotten any workers to live in the eerily abandoned pristine town.
This is all coming together interestingly. There'd be a safe part of the town where there's some sort of a truce, then you go hunting in the cookie-cutter houses and apartment blocks for hints on how to get inside the complex, then the final dungeons are getting deeper and deeper into the complex. Nice sense of progression, if I can make it seem natural.

AoshimaMichio

• Bay Watcher
  • Space Accountant
    • View Profile
« Reply #8654 on: February 28, 2015, 03:08:08 pm »

I'm looking for two test subjects to test balance of my planned RTD. Despite of convient even number it's not PvP, not by default.
I told you to test with colors! But nooo, you just had to go clone mega-Satan or whatever.
Old sigs.
Games.
Pages: 1 ... 575 576 [577] 578 579 ... 661