Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 585 586 [587] 588 589 ... 661

Author Topic: Roller's Block (RTD Brainstorming Thread) (HAPPY LATE BIRTHDAY) (Derm is 5k)  (Read 678553 times)

adwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Never question Draignean on extensive equation mechanics, clearly he's a super computer disguising himself as a human being.

origamiscienceguy

• Bay Watcher
  • WELL! OK THEN!... That was fun.
    • View Profile

There is a minimum of 1 to many of the stats. But now that I look at it, it does seem to nightmarish to run. It was a good idea though.
"'...It represents the world. They [the dwarves] plan to destroy it.' 'WITH SOAP?!'" -legend of zoro (with some strange interperetation)

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably browsing tasteful erotic dolphin photos
    • View Profile

Never question Draignean on extensive equation mechanics, clearly he's a super computer disguising himself as a human being.

On this subject...

I was tooling around with a simple system for weapons, and came up with this,

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Understandable?
« Last Edit: April 12, 2015, 02:28:55 pm by Draignean »
I have a degree in Computer Seance, that means I'm officially qualified to tell you that the problem with your system is that it's possessed by Satan.
---
Q: "Do you have any idea what you're doing?"
A: "No, not particularly."

FallacyofUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Blatant furry. Also a hypnotist.
    • View Profile

Wow. :o
Although a bit too complex for my needs.
Generic Arms Race.

Would you like to play a game of Mafia? The subforum is always open to new players.

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile

Understandable?

Yep!

[...] a simple system for weapons, [...]

Nope! But it's kind of nice anyway, if not in any way, shape or form practical.

Digital Hellhound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Otherwise understandable and nice, but are the weapon attributes (Finesse etc.) attributes the characters have? Or where does the value for, let's say Grace, comes into one of those calculations?
Russia is simply taking an anti-Fascist stance against European Nazi products, they should be applauded. ˇNo parmesan!

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Understandable?

Yep!

[...] a simple system for weapons, [...]

Nope! But it's kind of nice anyway, if not in any way, shape or form practical.

Ah, but it is! (Practical, not simple. I resigned myself to failing at simplicity and have been working triage since.)  As long as you don't change weapons often. Outside of combat you're allowed to pick your primary and secondary weapons, but you're not allowed (or take severe penalties) to use a weapon that isn't your primary or secondary weapon during combat. You can sling a steam rifle into one arm so you can draw your reserve pistol/knuckles/broadsword/etc, but you can't rummage through your pack to grab your other rifle.

The practical upshot of this is that I have to calculate the figures once at the start of combat, and then never again. All abilities effect the end results of the equations, not the individual attributes, so I can tweak the output without ever re-referencing the individual's stats! One of the major slowdowns of D22 combat was that EVERYTHING required  at least two checks: one attribute, and one skill. Heck, brawling required 6 lookups.

This system calculates everything when the players are switching their stuff around, and I can just reference their on-page characters for the relevant data.

Consider a character with an arbitrary spread of 80 skill points,
STR: 9
FIN: 17
GRC: 15
SPD: 13
WIS: 10
BRI: 16
Consider that he's using the two weapons detailed as his primary and secondary. He has Weapon Aptitude in Blades, but only Cadet in pistols, So his combat stat block looks like

{HP, RP, Focus, Light} --> The stat information for the character's current condition
{EVA, CRR} --> Evasion and Critical Hit Resistance
Weapons S.Saber/Daunt. Pistol
RNG: 1/1-4
DMG: 4/6
ACC: 88/52
CRC: 8/8
CRD: 226%/158%

From then on I just need to use d100s to roll accuracy an critical hits- no lookups outside of the character blocks. As I said above, focus abilities only modify the end results (DMG, CRC, EVA, etc), so I don't even need to recalculate when characters hit with, or are hit by, abilities. 

Otherwise understandable and nice, but are the weapon attributes (Finesse etc.) attributes the characters have? Or where does the value for, let's say Grace, comes into one of those calculations?

Yes, a character would have the six attributes,

Strength
Finesse
Grace
Speed
Wisdom
Brilliance

They'd also have an assortment of skills. The tree system will be ready for critique a little later. Maybe today, maybe a few days from now.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2015, 02:49:45 pm by Draignean »
I have a degree in Computer Seance, that means I'm officially qualified to tell you that the problem with your system is that it's possessed by Satan.
---

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile

Ah, so it's relatively practical. Still probably would require a piece of software to manage the rolls, methinks, but I assume you've got that handled, since you managed D22 the same way if I recall correctly.

Might not want to bother with weapon ranges, however. Scarcely ever worth it (practically, of course, theoretically there's always talk of tactics this and range of options that) as far as I'm aware, and a play-by-post game doesn't work too well with maps or much in the way of level design in general.

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Ah, so it's relatively practical. Still probably would require a piece of software to manage the rolls, methinks, but I assume you've got that handled, since you managed D22 the same way if I recall correctly.

Might not want to bother with weapon ranges, however. Scarcely ever worth it (practically, of course, theoretically there's always talk of tactics this and range of options that) as far as I'm aware, and a play-by-post game doesn't work too well with maps or much in the way of level design in general.

Actually, I've been lurking the hell out of the FEF threads (Which, by total coincidence, use a similar system of combat), and I've developed a bit of an affection for the style. Part of the game is combat, which is played on a grid (I'm thinking hexes, just for kicks), and has very strict guidelines for what can and cannot be done. The better part of the game is the RP section, which doesn't involve the hex maps/range/complex system of hitting-countering-defending-buggering-a-trout that combat uses. The RP sections uses... Actually, let me just quote the working draft of the rules section.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
---

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile

>Logs into forum
>Checks Gaming Block thread, sees discussion about Magical Lesbian Vampire battles and ways to keep GM burnout low
>Checks Rollers Block, CRAZY MATH
>face.set(o.O);

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff

http://www.mediafire.com/view/mw62djb6mvqluna/Game_Idea_Generator.html

Here's something fun for you. Maybe helpful.  It generates ideas for games. I've generated a few ones I like:

NAME: QUEST FOR A WONDERFUL MEAL
FOCUS: Player VS GM/NPC Combat and Treasure Hunting/Looting
SUBJECT MATTER: Utopia, Advertisements, Genies

NAME: QUEST FOR A WELL-GROOMED DRAMA
FOCUS: Basic Survival and Story Telling
SUBJECT MATTER: Hobos, Mental Health, Costumes

NAME: CROWDED PLANT
FOCUS: Managing and Managing
SUBJECT MATTER: Haunted Ruins, Answers, Totalitarianism

NAME: THE FLAMBOYANT POET
FOCUS: Exploration
SUBJECT MATTER: Nanomachines, Steampunk, Motorcycles

NAME: THE GROWLING WINTER
FOCUS: Basic Survival and Story Telling
SUBJECT MATTER: Alternate Universe, Government, Korean War

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile

>Logs into forum
>Checks Gaming Block thread, sees discussion about Magical Lesbian Vampire battles and ways to keep GM burnout low
>face.set(o.O);
We've all gone mad in your absence. Run a game! Save usssss!

@Piecewise: Wow, that first one is awesome. A bunch of a utopian society's penniless dregs, finally fed up with the constant advertisements for the delicious foods enjoyed by the upper classes and who will stop at nothing to get some of those tasty treats for themselves.
Not sure how the 'genies' come into it, though... perhaps they are some strange sect of rebels, arming the peasantry to cause chaos?
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile

NAME: A BULKY USUAL

FOCUS: Player VS GM/NPC Combat and Exploration

SUBJECT MATTER: Maids, Air, Economy
A rusted, bulky sky mansion putters through the air, its attendant battle maids seeking out rare materials and subjects to sell to everyone else. Only the adaptable survive here in the skies, as guests won't pay for outdated services!

Alternatively, the whole thing takes place underwater, where maids have to manage the air consumption of various tasks balanced against their use in the present economy. If braving underwater temples of unspeakable tentacled horrors can get you a slow-roasted stew without burning all of your air, that just might be profitable enough to attempt!

NAME: IRRESPONSIBLE AFFAIR

FOCUS: Tactical Combat and Exploration

SUBJECT MATTER: Age Of Exploration, Horror, Samurai
Samurai go exploring the world in search of honor. Oh, did I mention the world is filled with screeching evils awakened by the disturbance of intruders? Nonetheless, leaving a horde of cackling atrocities in your wake is a small price to pay for the privilege of seeing your friends die in front of you over and over again in the haunted ruins of a mansion that echoes with the faint cries of your lost love!

NAME: A SPOTTED GRAB

FOCUS: God Game and Creation/Building

SUBJECT MATTER: Trenchcoats, Genocide, Transmutation
Shit, guys. Shit. That... that did not go well. It's alright though, NEXT time we'll get it. I mean, our ancestors managed to create a nice enough place that we were really sad when it became a polluted cyberpunk hell, right? So surely the Eden Project will result in something other than everybody's creations being wiped out with shotguns EVENTUALLY. Just gotta keep at it, y'know?

So yeah, this seems pretty cool.

EDIT:
NAME: THE PRESTIGIOUS ENTHUSIASM

FOCUS: Managing

SUBJECT MATTER: Dungeon Building, Sleepover, Royalty
Oh my god this just recommended Pretty Princess Peasant Torturer 11/10 best generator ever.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Dermonster

• Bay Watcher
  • Break the world, see what falls out.
    • View Profile

If you don't run one or all of those games Irony I shall be disappoint.

It's been far too long since I played a proper man in a dress.

(Be a Hero doesn't count, I have a shield and breastplate)
I can do anything I want, as long as I accept the consequences.
"Y'know, my favorite thing about being a hero is that it gives you all kinds of narrative justification to just slay any ol' jerk who gets in the way - Black Mage.
"The bulk of [Derm]'s atrocities seem to stem from him doing things that [Magic] doesn't actually do." - TvTropes
"Dammit Derm!" - You, if I'm doing it right.
Moved to SufficientVelocity / Spacebattles.

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

>Logs into forum
>face.set(o.O);
We've all gone mad in your absence. Run a game! Save usssss!
He's running You are a Necromancer! at the moment. Luckily, the whole ISG bit was an April Fool's joke and now it's back to its awesome SG (without the 'I') goodness.
All fanfics are heresy, each and every one, especially the shipping ones. Those are by far the worst.
Pages: 1 ... 585 586 [587] 588 589 ... 661