Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 587 588 [589] 590 591 ... 661

Author Topic: Roller's Block (RTD Brainstorming Thread) (HAPPY LATE BIRTHDAY) (Derm is 5k)  (Read 666381 times)

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably browsing tasteful erotic dolphin photos
    • View Profile

Now I want to know what Harmony Hut is.
It's a reference to a movie that was very formative for me, and pretty much solidified my morals and family values.

It's where we send you if we wanna beeee with you, makebelieeeve with you, and live in harmony harmony oh loooove.

As you can imagine, the amount of blood - just dreadful.
This too.

On an unrelated note, I've been having this bizarre itch to run a fairly minimalist game. It's gotten to the point that I may see about getting a cream for it.

The reason I create complex mechanical systems is in large part due to masochism, but it's also done out of a desire to create balanced encounters for semi-symmetric combat. If you're fighting things that are sufficiently on par with the player, you need mechanics to translate 'sufficiently on par' from a qualitative statement into a quantitative one. If the game is instead focused around situations with a large power disparity, where one side has got to be smart, lucky, and a bit of a cheater in order to win, then complex mechanics are no longer necessary and a 1d6 can suffice.

I would explain the idea further, but I'm not sure that I don't want to run it, and explaining the concept would ruin the twist. 
I have a degree in Computer Seance, that means I'm officially qualified to tell you that the problem with your system is that it's possessed by Satan.
---
Q: "Do you have any idea what you're doing?"
A: "No, not particularly."

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile

I would explain the idea further, but I'm not sure that I don't want to run it, and explaining the concept would ruin the twist.

I hate when I have game ideas like that; it's much harder to find people to bounce ideas off of!

Speaking of minimalists, I've debated running another one for a while but keep deciding I don't have the time, so I thought I'd share the conceit;

No Dupes

That is to say, any action which has duplicates an action posted earlier in the thread (either in effect or spirit if not verbage) automatically fails. It would also be an interesting rule in a more competitive RTD which would induce players to watch one another for duplicate actions in order to penalize their opponents (though that might require a more rigorous definition of "dupe.") Really, it would work in any number of RTDs and forum games, but it especially suits minimalists since those games are typically about freeform creativity (which obviously this rule reinforces.)

BlitzDungeoneer

• Bay Watcher
  • heh
    • View Profile

Thought you'd share the conceit, eh?
I dunno, I'm not very good as far as RTD rules go.
Still, it seems like an interesting rule, although you would have to clearly define exactly what constitutes as a 'dupe'.
Swordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordsword

ATHATH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I hate when I have game ideas like that; it's much harder to find people to bounce ideas off of!

Speaking of minimalists, I've debated running another one for a while but keep deciding I don't have the time, so I thought I'd share the conceit;

No Dupes

That is to say, any action which has duplicates an action posted earlier in the thread (either in effect or spirit if not verbage) automatically fails. It would also be an interesting rule in a more competitive RTD which would induce players to watch one another for duplicate actions in order to penalize their opponents (though that might require a more rigorous definition of "dupe.") Really, it would work in any number of RTDs and forum games, but it especially suits minimalists since those games are typically about freeform creativity (which obviously this rule reinforces.)
Everyone would quickly die due to being unable to eat/drink/sleep/breathe.
Seriously, ATHATH, we need to have an intervention about your death mug problem.
*slow clap* Well ATHATH congratulations. You managed to give the MC a mental breakdown before we even finished the first arc.
I didn't even read it first, I just saw it was ATHATH and noped it. Now that I read it x3 to noping

BlitzDungeoneer

• Bay Watcher
  • heh
    • View Profile

It's minimalist, tho'. Means they can totally just give themselves immortality, after all, or otherwise survive.
And breathing isn't a conscious action, anyway. It's not something I had to do in any RTD I was in.
Swordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordsword

lawastooshort

• Bay Watcher
  • goodness what
    • View Profile

Breathing's really something you really really shouldn't do as an actual action, the risk of death being quite considerable. Anyone doing that in one of my games would probably end up on fire or naked.

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile

*for no benefit, I think you mean. Everyone usually ends up on fire or naked anyway.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

lawastooshort

• Bay Watcher
  • goodness what
    • View Profile

It's pointless trying to deny that really isn't it.

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile

Breathing's really something you really really shouldn't do as an actual action, the risk of death being quite considerable. Anyone doing that in one of my games would probably end up on fire or naked.

Sigging that. It's funny because it's true.

Although yeah, I can't imagine calling an RTD "Minimalist" if I'm going to require regular actions to eat/drink/sleep/breathe. It's pretty rare for any game to require that stuff, let alone making it a dice roll.

lawastooshort

• Bay Watcher
  • goodness what
    • View Profile

Well, you could call it ROLL TO EVERYDAY LIFE - a competitive run through a day in the life of an everyday person, where the day is divided into, say, 15 minute turns, and the GM can roll for practically anything. You could give each player a particular objective - not get fired, not get divorced, not get run over by a bus on the commute home, not get arrested, for a first four (someone could get a wildcard, say, not get murdered by an escaped zoo animal), and whoever gets through the day and lives and meets their objective wins.

FallacyofUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Blatant furry. Also a hypnotist.
    • View Profile

And that's a good idea. Compare it with Roll to Work at Gencorp. Same caliber of idea.

By the way, does anyone have a Looter's Delight game planned? Because if no one else is going to... I've got a generator, albeit not a very good one.
Generic Arms Race.

Would you like to play a game of Mafia? The subforum is always open to new players.

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Someone already did Roll to Breathe (not actual name) in FG&RP. I can't remember if it died off because it was unpopular or because the GM couldn't be bothered any more.
All fanfics are heresy, each and every one, especially the shipping ones. Those are by far the worst.

Person

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I am technically working on my own generator for Looter's Delight, but two games is probably about my limit at the moment.
Please don't let textbooks invade Bay12.
The Conquistadors only have the faintest idea of what the modern world is like when they are greeted by two hostile WWI Veterans riding on a giant potato; Welcome to 2016.

FallacyofUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Blatant furry. Also a hypnotist.
    • View Profile

Same for me I'd say. I'm going to test my generator in the game I'm running whenever a significant enemy dies.

This is a(n) rather small titanium magic staff.
This mage's staff controls glass.
This mage's staff has the additional property of absorbing blood to become more powerful.

This is a(n) bloodthirsty bronze battle axe.
It has the additional properties of: amplifying the weilder's strength,
enlarging in size on command,
poisoning foes with its strikes,
and poisoning foes with its strikes.

This is a(n) heavy bronze suit of power armor.
It has the additional properties of: absorbs extreme cold,
and transforming into hardwood!.

My generator is nowhere near as good as Wwolin's, but it works at least.
Generic Arms Race.

Would you like to play a game of Mafia? The subforum is always open to new players.

Person

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Neat. Those results seem pretty good. As long as effects don't double up too often anyway, though in most cases you can just amp up the power for that sort of thing. To be honest, the main problem I'm having with mine is sentient creatures/objects. Probably going to work on vehicle type objects for awhile before I get that done though. I've also been sorting effects into categories mostly, and I have enough of them (thanks Fniff, no sarcasm, really thanks) that it's kind of a slog to get through. That's before I even get into negative luck as well. In any case, I think I might as well generate a few things from my own just for kicks.

Pickax
6 quality. (The amount of effects you get is currently this number minus 3. Ordinarily a luck roll determines the quality seed, but I just rolled 2d6 for these examples. Obviously I discarded any results below 4, because that would be boring. This allows for ordinary items when luck is low, but ordinary isn't the point of this test now is it.)

Affinity
Dexterity
Plastic

This is a pickax. It can control plastic. It also increases the wielder's dexterity and magical ability.

Electronic Keyboard
10 quality.

Dexterity
Guard
Strength
Animation
Speed
Bleed
Demonic

This is an electronic keyboard. It increases the wielder's dexterity, strength, and speed. It can also be used to create a temporary shield to protect the wielder. In addition, it can be used to bring life to inanimate objects through the use of demonic forces. These objects will bleed when struck, and gain strength when they take blood from other sources.

Machine gun
7 quality.

Guard
Good
Ghosts
Water

This is a machine gun. It fires water. It can be used to create a temporary shield, as well as to sense good creatures. The wielder can communicate with the ghosts of those that it kills.

Sweatshirt (I have a decent variety of normal clothing. True armor is somewhat rare.)
6 quality.

Explosive
Thought
Endurance

This is a sweatshirt. It increases the wearer's endurance, allows them to share and receive thoughts with others through telepathy, and can release an explosion of force when struck, repelling attackers.

In retrospect it feels mildly weird not specifying the material an object is made out of. In addition, stat boosts feel just a bit too common to me. They'll be lessened when I finish it though, simply by having more effect categories to choose from. Stat boosts being common isn't strictly a bad thing anyway.
Please don't let textbooks invade Bay12.
The Conquistadors only have the faintest idea of what the modern world is like when they are greeted by two hostile WWI Veterans riding on a giant potato; Welcome to 2016.
Pages: 1 ... 587 588 [589] 590 591 ... 661