Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 627 628 [629] 630 631 ... 661

Author Topic: Roller's Block (RTD Brainstorming Thread) (HAPPY LATE BIRTHDAY) (Derm is 5k)  (Read 702355 times)

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
  • You know me. What do I know?
    • View Profile

Alright then, i want to try a mechanic here(wizards indeed). If you are interested, please say an amount of Circle 1 spells, Circle 2 spells, Circle 3 Spells and Circle 4 spells. The sum of all chosen amount of all circles must be 5. For example: 3 Circle 1 spels, no Circle 2 spells, 2 Circle 3 spells and no Circle 4 spells.

The circle affects cooldown(renders you unable to cast(including spells other that the cast spell!) for a certain amount of time), type and power of the spell.
Two circle two spells, one circle 3, one circle 4, one circle 5

That right?
One wheel short of a wagon

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile

What do people generally like to know when picking races? Which aspects of their cultures should be defined? I got a few races, where I describe their origins and looks a bit but nothing clear regarding their culture.

A race's description should include hooks to build characters from. For this reason a creation myth, being ancient history and most likely a myth, tends to be useless for the creation of a character. You want to put in facts.

For instance, with the dryads you've got the facts that they all spawn from the same great tree, that they seem to have a connection with the personification of nature (without specifying what that might be, how it manifests and how a dryad learns or is taught to use it), and that they're somehow unusual in their physiology. Creating characters is a matter of placing hooks for cool concepts you'd like to see, and there just aren't really very many to work from there.

To generate more hooks, you need to answer more questions. In terms of dryad physiology, for example: how are they unusual or plant-like? Do they photosynthesize? Can you graft bits of different dryads like those of cherry trees? Can you reproduce a dryad via cuttings? Can you tell a dryad's age by counting its rings? If a limb is cut off, does it regenerate in the same place, or do dryads with adventurous lives become decreasingly humanoid as the scarring builds up and new limbs take place of the old? Do they only need water, light and minerals to live? Or are they like humanoid apples, wandering the earth far and wide so that they may die in opportune places, their hearts serving as seeds for new great trees that will germinate in an age many generations from now? You want to put in something that makes people go "that kicks ass, I've got a character idea forming that takes advantage of this".

As for elves, what did they give up? Living for 600 years, being forever beautiful and being an old hand at all kinds of magic makes giving up your humanity sound like a pretty amazing deal. Some explanation for why they're frail, maybe? Do they serve as natural dumps for demonic ooze building up underground, kept alive only by consistent application of divine sorcery? Are they perhaps dissatisfied with this state of affairs and tempted to go out into the world to find a cure for it?

That does bring up another point, which is that these races have a slightly "happily ever after" feel to them where they live in their god-forest without a care in the world, two great super-races of non-humans that do not share your feeble human concerns. Introducing notable problems and issues they may experience is also a good source of character hooks.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2016, 09:45:00 am by Harry Baldman »

Mr.Zero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

What do people generally like to know when picking races? Which aspects of their cultures should be defined? I got a few races, where I describe their origins and looks a bit but nothing clear regarding their culture.

A race's description should include hooks to build characters from. For this reason a creation myth, being ancient history and most likely a myth, tends to be useless for the creation of a character. You want to put in facts.

For instance, with the dryads you've got the facts that they all spawn from the same great tree, that they seem to have a connection with the personification of nature (without specifying what that might be, how it manifests and how a dryad learns or is taught to use it), and that they're somehow unusual in their physiology. Creating characters is a matter of placing hooks for cool concepts you'd like to see, and there just aren't really very many to work from there.

To generate more hooks, you need to answer more questions. In terms of dryad physiology, for example: how are they unusual or plant-like? Do they photosynthesize? Can you graft bits of different dryads like those of cherry trees? Can you reproduce a dryad via cuttings? Can you tell a dryad's age by counting its rings? If a limb is cut off, does it regenerate in the same place, or do dryads with adventurous lives become decreasingly less humanoid as the scarring builds up and new limbs take place of the old? Do they only need water, light and minerals to live? Or are they like humanoid apples, wandering the earth far and wide so that they may die in opportune places, their hearts serving as seeds for new great trees that will germinate in an age many generations from now? You want to put in something that makes people go "that kicks ass, I've got a character idea forming that takes advantage of this".

As for elves, what did they give up? Living for 600 years, being forever beautiful and being an old hand at all kinds of magic makes giving up your humanity sound like a pretty amazing deal. Some explanation for why they're frail, maybe? Do they serve as natural dumps for demonic ooze building up underground, kept alive only by consistent application of divine sorcery? Are they perhaps dissatisfied with this state of affairs and tempted to go out into the world to find a cure for it?

That does bring up another point, which is that these races have a slightly "happily ever after" feel to them where they live in their god-forest without a care in the world, two great super-races of non-humans that do not share your feeble human concerns. Introducing notable problems and issues they may experience is also a good source of character hooks.

As far as I remember your advice has always been good. Anyhow here's the slightly reworked part, to see if i'm going in the good direction. Bolded are the new parts

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: July 14, 2016, 09:29:40 am by Mr.Zero »
Durrr..

Dermonster

• Bay Watcher
  • Break the world, see what falls out.
    • View Profile

Huh. I just realized ExKirby hasn't been on since 2014. So nobody can change the thread title.

Drat, my plot to grab post 10k is foiled.
I can do anything I want, as long as I accept the consequences.
"Y'know, my favorite thing about being a hero is that it gives you all kinds of narrative justification to just slay any ol' jerk who gets in the way - Black Mage.
"The bulk of [Derm]'s atrocities seem to stem from him doing things that [Magic] doesn't actually do." - TvTropes
"Dammit Derm!" - You, if I'm doing it right.
Moved to SufficientVelocity / Spacebattles.

AoshimaMichio

• Bay Watcher
  • Space Accountant
    • View Profile

For normal species with humanlike biology, the most important part is cultural norms, I think. Characters come from some culture and that culture has shaped their mind, it is basis to deviate from. What is accepted and what not, what is below their grace and what not. Otherwise it is just humans with slightly different ears (usually). Nothing interesting there.

For those with different biology the biology itself becomes more of importance like HB said. How the biology affects their culture and worldview?

Though I probably just pick what looks coolest.
I told you to test with colors! But nooo, you just had to go clone mega-Satan or whatever.
Old sigs.
Games.

H4zardZ1

• Bay Watcher
  • Mostly Harmless
    • View Profile

Alright then, i want to try a mechanic here(wizards indeed). If you are interested, please say an amount of Circle 1 spells, Circle 2 spells, Circle 3 Spells and Circle 4 spells. The sum of all chosen amount of all circles must be 5. For example: 3 Circle 1 spels, no Circle 2 spells, 2 Circle 3 spells and no Circle 4 spells.

The circle affects cooldown(renders you unable to cast(including spells other that the cast spell!) for a certain amount of time), type and power of the spell.
Two circle two spells, one circle 3, one circle 4, one circle 5

That right?
Hmm... okay then.

Need more players to test.
Quote from: Rock
Quote from: Comrade Qwasich
Stop bullying children
I can't
I have to bully children
Sigtext and other things

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile

Huh. I just realized ExKirby hasn't been on since 2014. So nobody can change the thread title.

Drat, my plot to grab post 10k is foiled.

There's one amphibian who can.

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile

As far as I remember your advice has always been good. Anyhow here's the slightly reworked part, to see if i'm going in the good direction. Bolded are the new parts

If the presence of the tree's influence is undetectable, why would a prospective elf refuse the nectar of the gods? Is it only directly undetectable (the elven collective nevertheless gives off a somewhat creepy impression of singlemindedness, for instance, in the vein of 'oh, we don't need leaders, the will of the people is known to all' or 'you crazy kids and your tantrums, the nectar ceremony will straighten you right out, you should have seen me in my growing years')? Is there perhaps a certain risk of mortality (given that it does seem to mess you up to make you an elf) that some are unwilling to inflict upon their sweet little children? You might also want to give more incentive to pick a half-elf, such as reduced frailty and so forth.

Anyway, that's a good direction to go into. And as AM said, you should probably give more ideas about culture, or at least a description of what living on the Great Tree (I imagine something like a treetop city with several miles of verticality, but the details are eluding me) is like.

Mr.Zero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

If the presence of the tree's influence is undetectable, why would a prospective elf refuse the nectar of the gods? Is it only directly undetectable (the elven collective nevertheless gives off a somewhat creepy impression of singlemindedness, for instance, in the vein of 'oh, we don't need leaders, the will of the people is known to all' or 'you crazy kids and your tantrums, the nectar ceremony will straighten you right out, you should have seen me in my growing years')? Is there perhaps a certain risk of mortality (given that it does seem to mess you up to make you an elf) that some are unwilling to inflict upon their sweet little children? You might also want to give more incentive to pick a half-elf, such as reduced frailty and so forth.

Anyway, that's a good direction to go into. And as AM said, you should probably give more ideas about culture, or at least a description of what living on the Great Tree (I imagine something like a treetop city with several miles of verticality, but the details are eluding me) is like.

Elf children born of elf parents would get it automatically, because of the said influence. But half pairings like Human x elf, elf x beastfolk(Some races, not all) or elf x orc, would produce half-offspring. The elf would suggest to drink, while the other would perhaps deny it for whatever reason. It's not supposed to be a common case, but it is present. They want more people to join the 'community', so they aren't picky if anyone from outside wants to join. Not all races would get the ear thing and frailty thing though, orcs for example would remain mostly the same. Because they are of a different genus altogether and magic works different on them when it comes to transformational things.
Durrr..

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I see some problems with elves and half-elves.

First, why would elves want to go adventuring? As far as I can tell there's no reason for them to do so. Maybe have some spark of their humanity remain and in some elves this translates into subconsciously wanting some kind of freedom from the mind-control tree, leading them to leave the forest for a time to satisfy their wanderlust.
Second, why don't half-elves just drink from the god-damn nectar? It gives them better magic with no downsides.
Third, why are they inherently good at archery? It's completely understandable if it was a cultural thing and they grew up learning it, but being born with that ability makes no sense.
Fourth, why wouldn't parents give their babies the cool-aid? There's no reason for them not to and their culture should be enough to make it a normal act, something that's as natural of an act as having dinner.
Fifth, elves and humans being able to interbreed makes sense since they're practically the same species, but orcs are presumably different species altogether, right? Even the life magic that should normally make such a pairing possible doesn't really work since you said magic works differently on them.
All fanfics are heresy, each and every one, especially the shipping ones. Those are by far the worst.

Mr.Zero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I see some problems with elves and half-elves.

First, why would elves want to go adventuring? As far as I can tell there's no reason for them to do so. Maybe have some spark of their humanity remain and in some elves this translates into subconsciously wanting some kind of freedom from the mind-control tree, leading them to leave the forest for a time to satisfy their wanderlust.
Second, why don't half-elves just drink from the god-damn nectar? It gives them better magic with no downsides.
Third, why are they inherently good at archery? It's completely understandable if it was a cultural thing and they grew up learning it, but being born with that ability makes no sense.
Fourth, why wouldn't parents give their babies the cool-aid? There's no reason for them not to and their culture should be enough to make it a normal act, something that's as natural of an act as having dinner.
Fifth, elves and humans being able to interbreed makes sense since they're practically the same species, but orcs are presumably different species altogether, right? Even the life magic that should normally make such a pairing possible doesn't really work since you said magic works differently on them.

TGT= The Great Tree

Take notice that I did say that it was still a heavy WIP, so there are loose ends everywhere.
  • The reason for their wanderlust is that the danger doesn't exist only beneath the tree and TGT knows this. Her goal was and is to prevent the corruption from taking root again, what she did in the plains was purely because of the artifact. It was a temporary band-aid, so to speak. So, if her goal is to stop the corruption, she cannot do this only from within the forest where she resides. TGT has to send out dryads and elves to scour the world under a pretense that they are gathering knowledge to perfect their crafts. Subconsciously it's to destroy corruption. As a bonus, she attempts to recruit people in her community.
  • Just to remind half-elfs are a rarity. Not all elfs live in the forest, interspecies couples can live outside the forest. Elves living outside the forest aren't under as strong of a influence as they would be near or in the forest. However, they occasionally do make a pilgrimage to the forest. To continue, the other parent maybe wouldn't consider it to be a great idea to make a journey of a couple thousand miles so that his kid could drink some nectar. It could be an "If he's old enough, he'll make the decision." case.
  • It's exactly that? A cultural thing? You won't be playing one of the first elves, which indeed didn't all know archery. They learn to survive in the forest, as a part of that they practice archery amongst other things. If I mentioned somewhere that they are born with it, then my bad, I'll fix it when I find it.
  • They do, all elf couples give them the juice. Elf couples living outside the forest, that is the 'source' of half-elf offspring. Since they aren't under a strong influence, they deem it important but not devastating if they don't do it and there's the other parent which has an opinion as well.
  • I overspoke there, yeah. Orc x elf is strictly impossible. But human x orc, could happen but that's a different story.
Durrr..

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Need more players to test.
Reposting because it got buried.

Mr.Zero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Hello guys, back again. This time with a more mechanics related question. It's regarding the use of classes and I would like to have your opinions about them.

I'm a person which likes to have options when it comes to character job progression, some probably share the same opinion. It gives you the ability to mold your character as you see fit without limitations. In a fantasy rtd, If I want to use bows, magic and axes. I get to use all three of them and if I want to expand beyond that, I can choose to do so. So having classes in that regard, would limit my options. While giving options is a good thing, it also increases the complexity drastically and decreases the uniqueness that I can put into it by introducing uniquenesses to some classes.

But from what I noticed, is that people like to optimize or streamline their characters to a specific branch of game play anyway. Ranged weapons users tend to stick to using ranged weapons, though they sometimes make use of a sidearm or magic to fix some of their shortcomings. Melee stick to melee and so on. So by giving classes, it allows me to limit the complexity of character progression while at the same time allowing me to create passive skills, or unique skills to differentiate the classes and define clear strengths and weaknesses.
However this dangerously plays into a mmo concept of DPS,Tank, support. Where a party of players would try to balance out their group instead of focusing on creating their fun and unique character or risking in gimping their group.

I figured I could use either of these systems, if I'd go for classes.

Linear job progression
Your classical mmo progression. Squire -> Knight -> Protector. Clearcut and simple, provides very defined roles with little surprises. Some like this for it's simplicity allowing you to focus on other things and other detest it exactly for this simplicity.

Branching Job progression
A less common system for mmo's, but it introduces variety in mixed classes. Often these classes sacrifice the specialization for variety, so a pure class would be stronger in a specific thing as opposed to having more options. For example a squire progression with dark & holy mixed in.
Base class |1st progression |2nd progression |3rd progression |
Paladin -> Hero
Squire -> Knight -> Protector -> Guardian
Black Knight -> Overlord

Specialization progression
Same as previously a lesser common system, but this one introduces again more variety. You basically choose an X amount of specializations (In my case I would go for 3, with the chance to earn a 4rth.) and depending on your combination you'd get an class name assigned to yourself.
So Nature + Ranger + Healing, would grant you a druid class. Nature + Ranged + Melee would give you the ranger. Elemental + Melee + Acrobatics would give you a spelldancer class. You get the idea.
The major difference is that there is strictly no stronger progression. There is no pure build. Every combination leads to a unique class which it's ups and downs.

On another note, if classes are present, what do you guys think about race unique classes. Classes which can only be chosen by a certain race and no other. Do you guys think that these are totally unnecessary or warranted if there are some unique characteristics like racial physiology or cultural traits which enable the race to have this class? Or should there be an alternative accessible for all races albeit weaker compared the unique class?

So what are your opinions on these? And which ones do you like to see, when looking for an rtd?
« Last Edit: July 18, 2016, 07:37:39 am by Mr.Zero »
Durrr..

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I think the last progression option is groovier, dunno how easily it could be done.

Not something I have much experience with, haven't played as many games with class progression.

Mr.Zero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I think the last progression option is groovier, dunno how easily it could be done.

Not something I have much experience with, haven't played as many games with class progression.

You basically forgo combat skills, which are often seen like novice sword user, or gun user etc. for set skills or passives. As an example for the ranger. Every specialization has a defining weapon. Keep in mind that this is how I think about this, so it's open to interpretation. I'll pick the example druid class.

Nature = Staves
Healing = Scepters, Foci, talismans
ranged = Ranged non-gun weapons.

So you get weapon proficiency in those 3 weapon classes. The druid class gives you an unique passive tailored to the 3 specializations and the feel of the class. The passive would be something like increased healing while nearby to plants, or using nature magic automatically heals nearby allies, or the ability to create dryad summons, I don't know. Working on the fly with this one, but you get the idea.

In those specializations you'd get skillpoints which you can use to further specialize yourself into the tree. So if you opt for bestial companions you can spec into that, or if you want greater healing, you can spec into that, etc.
Durrr..
Pages: 1 ... 627 628 [629] 630 631 ... 661