Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 649 650 [651] 652 653 ... 661

Author Topic: Roller's Block (RTD Brainstorming Thread) (HAPPY LATE BIRTHDAY) (Derm is 5k)  (Read 677862 times)

johiah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

@OceanSoul
I made the actual topic thread, wrote the backstory, and explained character creation. If you want to join, or suggest a name for it, feel free. Some of the rules are still incomplete.
Quote from: AoshimaMichio
Oh no, you won't laser my death star.
On a fun note, all of the beds just starting disintegrating

Digital Hellhound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I'm thinking of running a short game with a set end point - a game that will actually be finished and not abandoned, if you can imagine such a thing. It'll be the great, the phenomenal, the wonderfully randomized GALACTIC DEATH RACE, continuing the legacy of various RTDs built around the same premise and heavily inspired by the film Redline. In short:

The players will take the role of racers in the GALACTIC DEATH RACE, a grand and deadly contest of Man and Machine through space and time, where borderline-suicidal racers face off in largely random-generated vehicles and compete to win glory, immortality and the prize of ten quintillion Space Bucks, or something like that.

The cars will be composed of various components randomized using Fniff's wonderful generators. You could roll an Engine with [37] Berzerk and [537] Ivory, for example, resulting in an ivory-plated engine housing the spirit of a slain bull elephant, who will occasionally go into a rage and superboost the car's speed for a time. Or maybe your roll for a Weapon and get a [464] Crab, [4] Earth, [227] Sociopath: a flood of ground-scuttling psycho crabs who'll snip-snap another car's wheels to scraps when you launch 'em. Or a Frame of [37] Gas and [566] Decomposition, resulting in, uh, your car actually being built around an organic envelope, the rotting gas-bag of some alien creature. This could mean a lightweight but vulnerable car, or maybe one that can get a last-ditch burst of speed by bursting its own envelope and jetting out gas.

Each part of the track, which goes through mysterious World Gates and so may radically change with every section, is also random-generated, with the effects received determining what it's like. So a [616] Primeval, [61] Sharp and [543] Ice section would see you driving around the feet of mammoths and dodging giant falling ice spikes in the distant and frozen past.

Basically, built around the same idea as my previous random generation RTD, now with RACING and A DEFINED LENGTH.

Spoiler: Mechanics (click to show/hide)

The whole thing would last for, like, ten different track sections, or until everyone was dead.

Probably, before the start of the race, the players would be free to bid on/pick and choose/mess about with Components for their cars from a list of generated ones. I'm not entirely sure yet. Maybe I'll have Sponsors, too, who can throw power boosts or new Components at the racers between rounds, or just sadistically throw new hazards onto the track. I dunno. The basic idea is clear, though!
Russia is simply taking an anti-Fascist stance against European Nazi products, they should be applauded. ¡No parmesan!

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
  • You know me. What do I know?
    • View Profile

I'd be in.
One wheel short of a wagon

FallacyofUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Blatant furry. Also a hypnotist.
    • View Profile

Ya, ya, me too.
Generic Arms Race.

Would you like to play a game of Mafia? The subforum is always open to new players.

OceanSoul

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed with Exponential Hiatuses
    • View Profile

You had me when you said "random-generated vehicles". In.

Will the tracks be randomly-generated, too?
Work on a potential forum game for my return to Bay12. Figure out parts that puzzled me before. Find more things to figure out that I can't. Work on another game instead of solving them. Get distracted and stop working. Remember it a week or two later. Remember I'm still on hiatus. Illogically, Be too ashamed to return yet. Repeat ad nauseam.

Finally have a game completely ready. Wait a week before posting it out of laziness.

flabort

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a demilich, despite the 4e and 5e nerfs
    • View Profile

What if I collect enough gimmicks to attach to my vehicle that I don't need an engine, wheels, or frame, and I'm left with just weapons and gimmicks? :P EG just a massive flamethrower, and a gimmick granting levitation or something, and some sort of force field.
I do think it unlikely, but I like the idea, and as such I think it will be my goal to collect as many gimmicks as I can.
The Cyan Menace

Went away for a while, came back, went away for a while, and back for now.

ATHATH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

@Digital Hellhound: I'd be interested in that.
Seriously, ATHATH, we need to have an intervention about your death mug problem.
*slow clap* Well ATHATH congratulations. You managed to give the MC a mental breakdown before we even finished the first arc.
I didn't even read it first, I just saw it was ATHATH and noped it. Now that I read it x3 to noping

flabort

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I have decided to start work on a loot generator for a Looters Delight style game, but need to populate the tables.
I have a link here to a Google Doc Spreadsheet. It's on comment mode, so I can quickly implement your ideas but can also filter bad ones out. I need M2:BX161 filled up (Yes, that is 12,960 cells), with objects adjectives or whatever else you can give me. Go nuts.

Duplicates are fine, but not too many, OK?

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1JSvg-a6UCbNFB6LMDsuhSnB0WO82C1p_fzu_BBjKx2o/edit?usp=sharing
We are making great progress on this. Between me and at least 3 other people, probably more, we have filled 2,292/12,960 of the cells that need filling. That means we're about 1/6 there!
I should note that higher up should be weaker/worse/lower powered, with rows 42-61 being about average - stuff like medieval weapons, etc, with stuff like guns going later, and stuff like polished balls of dirt coming earlier.

We've got a lot of abstract stuff and modifiers already. Mostly I want objects now, with a few materials and a few modifiers too. Actually, maybe just as many materials as objects.

Comments below row 161 are likely to be missed, and if found will be moved to other places.

If you don't have ideas of your own, but you've been looking at another generator, like Fniff's, feel free to just copy over some aspects of that generator, but keep in mind that Fniff's for example is mostly modifiers, where as I need mostly objects and materials right now.

So, to show you what kind of crazy this generator gives, here's a few things produced by the auto-reroll equations I made:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Extra spaces probably mean that the RNG was picking from cells that are still blank. Since only a 6th to a 5th have been filled so far, I'm sure it will get crazier as we fill out more of the raw data spaces
The Cyan Menace

ATHATH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

All right, who tried to add "Dildo" to flabort's spreadsheet?

Perhaps more importantly, why did flabort approve it and genuinely add "Dildo" to his spreadsheet?
Seriously, ATHATH, we need to have an intervention about your death mug problem.
*slow clap* Well ATHATH congratulations. You managed to give the MC a mental breakdown before we even finished the first arc.
I didn't even read it first, I just saw it was ATHATH and noped it. Now that I read it x3 to noping

flabort

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

All right, who tried to add "Dildo" to flabort's spreadsheet?

Perhaps more importantly, why did flabort approve it and genuinely add "Dildo" to his spreadsheet?
I did.  :P I figure it's a 1/12k chance, and especially because it requires a low roll.

Approved because I tried to add it. :P
The Cyan Menace

OceanSoul

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed with Exponential Hiatuses
    • View Profile

Flabort, mind if I were to have a lot of suggestions in the same comment, to save space? Also, a few notes;

-There's five typos I noticed; Caesar Dressing (not Ceasar), Golem Guardians (same error as prior), and Memento Mori ("remember, you will die") was autocorrected to Momentum Mori, lorem (instead of lorum) ipsum,and mosquito has an extra "u" as the third letter.
-The subject of a few things could be unclear to whoever reads them, such as Sage being implied as a herb by nearby aspects in the base table, while it could also be an occupation/person. There's also obscure references.
-"Heart of the Cards   Boning Knife" appear a few times in the right side of the bottom-left table..almost too much. Is something wrong with the system here, or am I overlooking something?
Work on a potential forum game for my return to Bay12. Figure out parts that puzzled me before. Find more things to figure out that I can't. Work on another game instead of solving them. Get distracted and stop working. Remember it a week or two later. Remember I'm still on hiatus. Illogically, Be too ashamed to return yet. Repeat ad nauseam.

Finally have a game completely ready. Wait a week before posting it out of laziness.

FallacyofUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Blatant furry. Also a hypnotist.
    • View Profile

Momentum Mori was actually deliberate. I sent it in. It's a reference.
Generic Arms Race.

Would you like to play a game of Mafia? The subforum is always open to new players.

flabort

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Flabort, mind if I were to have a lot of suggestions in the same comment, to save space? Go ahead, although one suggestion per comment (with the comments pinned to cells) would be easier for me. Also, a few notes;

-There's five typos I noticed; Caesar Dressing (not Ceasar), Golem Guardians (same error as prior), and Memento Mori ("remember, you will die") was autocorrected to Momentum Mori, lorem (instead of lorum) ipsum,and mosquito has an extra "u" as the third letter.Thanks. I'll correct those ones. Except FoU's.
-The subject of a few things could be unclear to whoever reads them, such as Sage being implied as a herb by nearby aspects in the base table, while it could also be an occupation/person. There's also obscure references. All part of the fun,
 trying to guess which one was meant. It means I could do some wordplay, or I could interpret it either way.

-"Heart of the Cards   Boning Knife" appear a few times in the right side of the bottom-left table..almost too much. Is something wrong with the system here, or am I overlooking something? Those tables are made using equations (EG,
 "=INDIRECT(ADDRESS(Randbetween(170,190),Randbetween(2,11)))" ), with the ability for recursion. If the recursion results in a circle, it makes an error, but that's OK I can re-randomise by changing a single cell anywhere (hence the part labeled Scratch Pad). Only the ones in which on a 1d10 you would roll a 1 or 10 or both are recursive, BUT those can point at other cells which already have content, EG "Heart of the Cards   Boning Knife" might get repeated a couple times until I change a cell somewhere.

Responses in green.
The Cyan Menace

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • technical difficulties
    • View Profile

Momentum Mori was actually deliberate. I sent it in. It's a reference.
An excellent reference.
Insatiable consumption. Ceaseless motion. Unstoppable destruction.

flabort

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Progress continues on my random generator project.
I've decided to fill every cell that uses a formula in with a background color. So despite many cells still looking blank, they aren't.

Grey is taking from anywhere on the massive table on the right. Darker grey is taking more at once. Obviously I used that sparingly.
Yellow is taking from the tables on the left. Darker yellow is taking from better tables. Also used sparingly.
Purple is being used for anything on the table on the right, DOWN TO a certain point. I'm using this a lot more than grey, but I'm not going to use them in many rows. As in, once I get down to a certain point, I'm stopping the use of purple.

Blue is for the tables on the left, so that people don't get confused and try putting suggestions there.

This will affect the randomness in a way, and reduce the number of cells that need filling with suggestions, but it doesn't mean I don't need more suggestions. Quite the contrary - my goal is to have from 60%-80% options being unique, and by adding in these formulaed cells it adds duplicates, which has brought the quantity of unique cells currently from ~87% to ~79%. Of course, the ones that are still blank from random chance aren't being counted, and I'm only up to ~25% of overall cells being filled, so statistically, I doubt when we fill in the remaining cells they will have all that much of an effect.
The Cyan Menace

Pages: 1 ... 649 650 [651] 652 653 ... 661