Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 650 651 [652] 653 654 ... 661

Author Topic: Roller's Block (RTD Brainstorming Thread) (HAPPY LATE BIRTHDAY) (Derm is 5k)  (Read 676593 times)

Person

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

@Digital Hellhound: I'd be interested in that.
+1 Likewise
Please don't let textbooks invade Bay12.
The Conquistadors only have the faintest idea of what the modern world is like when they are greeted by two hostile WWI Veterans riding on a giant potato; Welcome to 2016.

flabort

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a demilich, despite the 4e and 5e nerfs
    • View Profile

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Update on table progress.
There were so many comments on the table that I was unable to resolve comments any more. The only solution was to copy the table, delete the original, and rename the copy to the original's name, thereby clearing all comments.

Don't worry, I managed to approve (or unapprove) all the comments that were unresolved at the time before clearing the comments. But without the 2000+ comments clogging it up, it should run a bit faster now.

new link: Google Sheet

So just as a reminder, or a TL;DR for the quote above:
I'm making a loot table with the help of all of you.
It has equations and a built in RNG to construct a small table with a subset of all the possible items. This small table has a background in blue on the left. The table it pulls options from is on the right.
If you have a suggestion for an item to add to the table, put a comment on an empty cell.
Cells with backgrounds have equations; if they appear blank, but have a colored background, they are not empty cells, it's just that they are reading from empty cells.
We are filling the cells from M2 to BX161, and at this time we have nearly 30% of the space filled!
Cells further down should have better/more powerful/larger things.
We have enough abstract sentences and hard-to-define modifiers. We could use more objects, materials, qualifiers, objects, verbs, and other nouns. We probably have enough proper nouns too, so mostly objects.
The Cyan Menace

Went away for a while, came back, went away for a while, and back for now.

chaotic skies

• Bay Watcher
  • Vibing in anti-space
    • View Profile
« Last Edit: July 06, 2017, 03:26:23 pm by chaotic skies »
Don't let me start a forum game, smack me with a paper towel roll if needed

Professional Thread Necromancer

FallacyofUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Blatant furry. Also a hypnotist.
    • View Profile

The idea didn't work out?
~~~
So, flabort, mind showing off a "finished product" loot, so to say? Not just the words involved, but something like how it might look in the game?
Generic Arms Race.

Would you like to play a game of Mafia? The subforum is always open to new players.

chaotic skies

• Bay Watcher
  • Vibing in anti-space
    • View Profile

~~~
So, flabort, mind showing off a "finished product" loot, so to say? Not just the words involved, but something like how it might look in the game?
Decided to scrap it for personal reasons. The thread got hijacked into another RTD tho. Now called "RTD? I guess?," going to be moved to another thread at some point.
Don't let me start a forum game, smack me with a paper towel roll if needed

Professional Thread Necromancer

OceanSoul

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed with Exponential Hiatuses
    • View Profile

~~~
Decided to scrap it for personal reasons. The thread got hijacked into another RTD tho. Now called "RTD? I guess?," going to be moved to another thread at some point.
It won't simply be moved. It will be...recreated, with a decent reduction in minimalism, a hint of plot, and a mechanically-inducible ending.
Work on a potential forum game for my return to Bay12. Figure out parts that puzzled me before. Find more things to figure out that I can't. Work on another game instead of solving them. Get distracted and stop working. Remember it a week or two later. Remember I'm still on hiatus. Illogically, Be too ashamed to return yet. Repeat ad nauseam.

Finally have a game completely ready. Wait a week before posting it out of laziness.

flabort

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

~~~
Sure. While the table isn't finished yet, I'll just re-roll when a blank result comes up. I'll actually give you three finished products.

So let's say you had Luck-2. You gain your loot, and it might look like this:

[Loot (luck): 1d6-2=3] You get an oddly shaped spider; it's body is shaped like an arrow head, and it's carapace is shiny and hard like flint. It has hair sprouting from it's head, knotted and tied in braids that you would expect on a Mongolian leader, and in one of it's 8 legs it carries a tiny beer glass and in another it has a silk rag which it uses to wipe out the glass. It leaps up onto your shoulder and in it's deep but tiny voice shouts a warcry. You feel like it could listen to all your troubles and it wouldn't judge.

Spoiler: What words were rolled (click to show/hide)

Let's say you somehow got a kill with that spider, and gain a point in luck. You might get loot like this:

[loot (luck): 1d6-1=4] A suit of black armor appears, made of slivery metallic plates coated in a black tar. The tar seems to be irremovable, but the armor itself is incredibly hard. It's design is reminiscent of a dragon, from the helmet shaped like a dragon's angry maw, to the scaly motif etched into the arms and legs and the small wings on the back. All this decoration and tar seems like it would catch weapons too easily. You just hope nobody lights a match while you're wearing it.

So much further down the line, you've made several kills, and have luck+3. What loot will you gain?

[loot (luck): 1d6+3=6] You receive a Katana, a long narrow sword of oriental make. It is surrounded by an aura of swirling glowing particles, which are emitted by a scrap of red cloth tied to the hilt. Holding the Katana in your hand, you see visions of superior tactical positions for yourself and allies; though you feel less like a general and more like someone traveling a path that has already been taken before.

The Cyan Menace

FallacyofUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Blatant furry. Also a hypnotist.
    • View Profile

Epic. This is going to be really fun to play, I'm sure.

Bartender Jumping Spider Teleporting Genghis Khan.

If only I could preemptively nominate a game for the RTD hall of fame.
Generic Arms Race.

Would you like to play a game of Mafia? The subforum is always open to new players.

flabort

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Epic. This is going to be really fun to play, I'm sure.

Bartender Jumping Spider Teleporting Genghis Khan.

If only I could preemptively nominate a game for the RTD hall of fame.
I'm enjoying seeing most of these crowd-sourced words to make up the loot.

Obviously I want to point out that the faster we fill areas that are "emptier" the faster the game can get underway - it's possible I could start the game running before filling the sheets completely - maybe once it reaches 60% full. I'd just generate the loot the same way I did in the example.

The tables in blue are the key to the generation. Specifically the areas in darker blue. On a single blue table, each dark blue cell corresponds to a column in the table on the right. So that's 8*8 cells on these 10*10 tables that each correspond to a column; which means that there are 64 columns. Then which label is on the blue table tells you which rows in the column the cell chooses from. E.G. minus two draws from rows 2 to 21, minus one draws from 12 to 31, zero draws from 22 to 41, one draws from 32 to 51, etcetera. Yes, they overlap. So by filling a vertical area of 20 cells, you ensure a cell in the table on the left will always have a result, and the similar cells in the table above and the table below will each have a 50% chance of having a result.

So the remaining 36 cells in the blue tables - the light blue ones, the ones with a 1 or 10 involved - don't draw from the table on the right. Instead, they draw from either their own table, an immediately previous blue table, or an immediately following blue table. So in table Two, the multi-word cells draw mostly from Table Two, a small amount from Table Three, and a couple words from Table One.

So the other colored cells, the grey purple and yellow ones, are there to add some more randomness whilst duplicating some words to make it so that there's enough words to generate loot; they are partially space fillers, but also partially there to lower the statistic "Percentage of filled cells that are unique"; since I'm aiming for 66%-80% on that statistic, having the RNG duplicate words which changes when randomizing the page helps in a way that I don't exactly remember the words I need to describe. But grey is uncommon but pulls from the whole table, yellow is even more uncommon and is a duplicate of the light blue equations for a better table than the one that picks it, and purple is common and draws from equal or worse areas only, with darker purple areas ignoring particularly bad areas.

Well, all this technical talk about the RNG basically means, "Try and identify areas without many words and focus on there please". :P And "No more ninjas please and thank you".
The Cyan Menace

ATHATH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Flabort, why is your table in your trash can?
Seriously, ATHATH, we need to have an intervention about your death mug problem.
*slow clap* Well ATHATH congratulations. You managed to give the MC a mental breakdown before we even finished the first arc.
I didn't even read it first, I just saw it was ATHATH and noped it. Now that I read it x3 to noping

flabort

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Flabort, why is your table in your trash can?
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=80900.msg7502413#msg7502413

It got too clogged up with "resolved" comments, so I reset the comments entirely. There's a new link, as described by the post I just linked.
The Cyan Menace

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
  • You know me. What do I know?
    • View Profile

Why does it update the stuff in the coloured cells every ten seconds or so?
One wheel short of a wagon

flabort

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Why does it update the stuff in the coloured cells every ten seconds or so?
Because every 10 seconds or so I update a cell, which updates every RNG cell.
The Cyan Menace

OceanSoul

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed with Exponential Hiatuses
    • View Profile

...Nothing to see here, folks. Carry on.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2017, 10:42:03 am by OceanSoul »
Work on a potential forum game for my return to Bay12. Figure out parts that puzzled me before. Find more things to figure out that I can't. Work on another game instead of solving them. Get distracted and stop working. Remember it a week or two later. Remember I'm still on hiatus. Illogically, Be too ashamed to return yet. Repeat ad nauseam.

Finally have a game completely ready. Wait a week before posting it out of laziness.

Eschar

• Bay Watcher
  • hello
    • View Profile

We should have an RTD in which the GM rolls twice for each action. The second roll is the normal roll; the first determines how literally the GM interprets the player's action.
Pages: 1 ... 650 651 [652] 653 654 ... 661