Poll

Polls?

Yes
- 2 (40%)
No
- 3 (60%)

Total Members Voted: 5

Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: Dwarf Caramel: A livestock replacement mod.  (Read 16975 times)

AdeleneDawner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Dwarf Caramel: A livestock replacement mod.
« on: March 29, 2011, 03:57:17 pm »

Dwarf caramel is intended to replace dwarves' use of aboveground, human-themed creatures with various cavern-dwellers.

It can be downloaded here.

Animals:
  • Thidas bungek, the frill lizard (done): Small, vermin-hunting lizards with triceratops-like head frills that come in various colors. The rarer colors can be quite expensive and are almost never traded, in part because they (unlike the more common varieties) have a tendency to adopt dwarves. As if that wasn't complicated enough, baby frillies all start out with camouflaged grey scales, and their first color change may not be a reflection of their final color. Replace cats, partially replace poultry.

• Riril atem, the fellowship rat (done): In the wild, these smart, social, and extremely fluffy creatures band together to steal your food. Once domesticated, they provide wool, hunting assistance, and socialization opportunities for your dwarves. Replace sheep/llamas/alpacas, partially replace dogs, [CAN_LEARN] with innate social skills.

• Stetar fesh, the honey wing bat (done, subject to tweaking): Large, fruit-eating bats that give sweet milk, which can, after processing, be brewed to mead, as well as being able to be made into cheese. Their slow-growing hair is just long enough to shear yearly. Partially replaces bees, cows, and other milkable creatures. May be made to graze to simulate scavenging for fruit.

• Atol sethal, the truth spider (done): Physically fragile but quite fast and possessing a devastating poison, these giant daddy long leg spiders are a solid defense against large, solitary monsters of the deeps.

• Etur lanlar, the boulder bird (done except for grazer behavior and personality tweaks): A large, wingless bird with a nasty kick, kept for meat. Young of the species are known as ib lanlar, or pebble birds. Partially replaces cows, replaces poultry. May be a grazer if that doesn't make them unable to breed via eggs.

• Inrus vesrul, the poison worm (done): A war-trainable mass of clawed purple tentacles with a long tail for a body. This fast-breeding dog-sized creature exudes a numbing contact poison, which it can also be milked for; the poison can then be processed to make it more potent. (Due to limitations in how DF handles liquids, this poison is probably not usable - though there's certainly still room for ‼science‼. Let us know if you figure out anything interesting!) Partially replaces dogs.

• Kadol ozsit, the gem crab (planned): Tiny land-dwelling crabs whose naturally gem-encrusted shells are prized for crafts. Rumor has it that occasionally, a clutch of gem crabs will produce a mutant which can grow to enormous sizes.

• Iteg lam, the tentacle stone, known to humans as cave coral (planned): These creatures are nearly immobile, encased in a shell of harvestable stone. They exist in several varieties, which have different kinds of stone for their shells and which do not interbreed. Some of the rarer ones can be harvested for metal ores, and these are exceptionally expensive and jealously guarded by the fortresses that are lucky enough to have them.

Reactions:
  • Reduce liquid (done, subject to tweaking): Similar to boiling maple sap to make maple syrup, this reaction transforms a liquid into a thicker version of itself. Currently returns as much liquid as it takes, but should probably take twice as much as it returns in the final version. Currently used to reduce honey bats' honey milk into brewable milk honey, will be used to make concentrated poison worm poison and possibly other things.

• Denature poison (under consideration): Add a special herb to concentrated poison worm poison, to make it dwarf-safe. Probably not going to happen unless milked poison is actually usable.

• Make mead (done): The vanilla reaction will only brew honeybee mead. Rather than making a new reaction to brew milk honey, I modified the existing one to brew any kind of mead. This also unlocks bumblebee mead, which is specified in the vanilla raws.

Plants:
  • Some sort of rare herb to denature poison worm poison with. Probably otherwise quite generic. (Under consideration)

Custom body part:
  • Head frill, for frill lizards (done)
« Last Edit: March 31, 2011, 02:22:31 pm by AdeleneDawner »
Dying (ceasing to be alive) is also not a Moodable skill. Even totally unskilled Dwarves seem to do it correctly.

Alternatecash

• Bay Watcher
  • PREFSTRING: [flammable head]
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf Caramel: A livestock replacement mod.
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2011, 08:02:26 pm »

I'll certainly need to keep an eye on this, hopefully it'll be polished soon.
Explore a half-ruined facility and play with dangerous
mutagens in my forum game.
It's back! A bit. Seriously, jump in.

Crazy Cow

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Procrastinator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2011, 08:22:21 pm »

Right now, I hate the huge number of very bland domestic animals. This mod will earn a place in my default raws if it proves to be anywhere near as cool as it looks.

Ghills

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2011, 08:26:56 pm »

This is an awesome idea. Frilled colorful lizards! :D

I think that you can simply zip the relevant RAWs into a blank DF folder structure for packaging on DFFD.
I AM POINTY DEATH INCARNATE
Ye know, being an usurper overseer gone mad with power isn't too bad. It's honestly not that different from being a normal overseer.
To summarize:
They do an epic face. If that fails, they beat said object to death with their beard.

AdeleneDawner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2011, 09:06:59 pm »

Dying (ceasing to be alive) is also not a Moodable skill. Even totally unskilled Dwarves seem to do it correctly.

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
  • Discordia Vobis Com Et Cum Spiritum
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2011, 10:29:41 pm »

This sounds cool.

(BTW, is the mead thing purely a modified version of the base reaction, or does it rely on any changes elsewhere in the raws?)
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

AdeleneDawner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2011, 10:41:32 pm »

(BTW, is the mead thing purely a modified version of the base reaction, or does it rely on any changes elsewhere in the raws?)

Purely a modification of the base reaction. Instead of looking specifically for honeybee honey, it looks for any creature extract that has a [MATERIAL_REACTION_PRODUCT:DRINK_MAT] tag, which includes both of the vanilla honeys and nothing else in vanilla unless there's something really weird that I haven't noticed. And even if there is, the [MATERIAL_REACTION_PRODUCT:DRINK_MAT] tag should specify a sane thing for the reaction to brew the extract into anyway.

Scaraban

• Bay Watcher
  • One Crazy Ass Giant
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2011, 01:54:07 am »

>.>
<.<
Watching...
It's a long way to the top if you want dank memes.

AdeleneDawner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2011, 04:19:04 pm »

The poison worm is mostly done. It's covered with ooze and leaves ooze trails, which I've never seen before, so I don't know if that will cause any problems. I expect not, though: The ooze is weak enough as a poison that even barefoot dwarves shouldn't be too bothered by walking over it, and indoor cleaning works pretty well now. You'll probably still want to make sure that these guys are kept in a closed pen, though, so you don't have ten billion cleaning jobs all the time.

I actually think the effect is pretty neat, and if it goes over well I might make a few color morphs of them with different types and strengths of poison.

The poison can be reduced from ooze to gel, but the gel can't be denatured yet, and the mod doesn't include a way to apply the poison to enemies - I need to read up on what others have done in that vein. I also haven't given them poisonous meat yet.

Code: [Select]
creature_domestic_worm

[OBJECT:CREATURE]

[CREATURE:WORM_POISON]
[DESCRIPTION:A small purple creature with a body like a thick snake. In place of a head it has six clawed tentacles. Its skin glistens with a viscous blue liquid.]
[NAME:poison worm:poison worms:poison worm]
[CASTE_NAME:poison worm:poison worms:poison worm]
[CHILD:1][GENERAL_CHILD_NAME:small poison worm:small poison worms:small poison worm]
[CREATURE_TILE:'w'][COLOR:13:0:1]
[PETVALUE:100]
[PET][COMMON_DOMESTIC]
[NATURAL]
[LARGE_ROAMING][FREQUENCY:100]
[POPULATION_NUMBER:10:100]
[CLUSTER_NUMBER:1:3]
[BIOME:SUBTERRANEAN_CHASM]
[UNDERGROUND_DEPTH:1:2]
[LOOSE_CLUSTERS]
[PREFSTRING:hideous appearance]
[LITTERSIZE:3:6]
[CHILD:1]
[EXTRAVISION]
[BONECARN]

[BODY:BASIC_1PARTBODY_THOUGHT:TAIL_STANCE:SIX_TENTACLES:HEART:GUTS:ORGANS]
[BODY_DETAIL_PLAN:STANDARD_MATERIALS]
[REMOVE_MATERIAL:HAIR]
[BODY_DETAIL_PLAN:STANDARD_TISSUES]
[REMOVE_TISSUE:HAIR]
[BODY_DETAIL_PLAN:VERTEBRATE_TISSUE_LAYERS:SKIN:FAT:MUSCLE:BONE:CARTILAGE]
[USE_MATERIAL_TEMPLATE:NAIL:NAIL_TEMPLATE]
[USE_TISSUE_TEMPLATE:NAIL:CLAW_TEMPLATE]
[SELECT_TISSUE_LAYER:HEART:BY_CATEGORY:HEART]
[PLUS_TISSUE_LAYER:SKIN:BY_CATEGORY:THROAT]
[TL_MAJOR_ARTERIES]
[USE_MATERIAL_TEMPLATE:SINEW:SINEW_TEMPLATE]
[TENDONS:LOCAL_CREATURE_MAT:SINEW:200]
[LIGAMENTS:LOCAL_CREATURE_MAT:SINEW:200]
[HAS_NERVES]
[USE_MATERIAL_TEMPLATE:BLOOD:BLOOD_TEMPLATE]
[BLOOD:LOCAL_CREATURE_MAT:OOZE:LIQUID]
[CREATURE_CLASS:GENERAL_POISON]
[GETS_WOUND_INFECTIONS]
[GETS_INFECTIONS_FROM_ROT]
[USE_MATERIAL_TEMPLATE:PUS:PUS_TEMPLATE]
[PUS:LOCAL_CREATURE_MAT:PUS:LIQUID]
[BODY_SIZE:0:0:1000]
[BODY_SIZE:1:0:12500]
[BODY_SIZE:2:0:30000]
[USE_MATERIAL_TEMPLATE:OOZE:CREATURE_EXTRACT_TEMPLATE]
[STATE_NAME:ALL_SOLID:frozen poison worm ooze]
[STATE_NAME_ADJ:ALL_SOLID:frozen poison worm ooze]
[STATE_NAME:LIQUID:poison worm ooze]
[STATE_NAME_ADJ:LIQUID:poison worm ooze]
[STATE_NAME:GAS:boiling poison worm ooze]
[STATE_NAME_ADJ:GAS:boiling poison worm ooze]
[STATE_COLOR:ALL:PURPLE]
[GOO_MAP_DESCRIPTOR]
[PREFIX:NONE]
[SYNDROME]
[SYN_NAME:poison worm ooze]
[SYN_AFFECTED_CLASS:GENERAL_POISON]
[SYN_IMMUNE_CREATURE:WORM_POISON:ALL]
[SYN_CONTACT]
[CE_NUMBNESS:SEV:5:PROB:100:LOCALIZED:RESISTABLE:START:50:PEAK:1000:END:2000]
[MATERIAL_REACTION_PRODUCT:REDUCE_MAT:LOCAL_CREATURE_MAT:GEL]
[USE_MATERIAL_TEMPLATE:GEL:CREATURE_EXTRACT_TEMPLATE]
[STATE_NAME:ALL_SOLID:frozen poison worm gel]
[STATE_NAME_ADJ:ALL_SOLID:frozen poison worm gel]
[STATE_NAME:LIQUID:poison worm gel]
[STATE_NAME_ADJ:LIQUID:poison worm gel]
[STATE_NAME:GAS:boiling poison worm gel]
[STATE_NAME_ADJ:GAS:boiling poison worm gel]
[GOO_MAP_DESCRIPTOR]
[SYNDROME]
[SYN_NAME:poison worm gel]
[SYN_CONTACT]
[CE_NUMBNESS:SEV:80:PROB:100:LOCALIZED:RESISTABLE:START:50:PEAK:1000:END:2000]
[USE_MATERIAL_TEMPLATE:SAFE_GEL:CREATURE_EXTRACT_TEMPLATE]
[STATE_NAME:ALL_SOLID:frozen herbed poison worm gel]
[STATE_NAME_ADJ:ALL_SOLID:frozen herbed poison worm gel]
[STATE_NAME:LIQUID:herbed poison worm gel]
[STATE_NAME_ADJ:LIQUID:herbed poison worm gel]
[STATE_NAME:GAS:boiling herbed poison worm gel]
[STATE_NAME_ADJ:GAS:boiling herbed poison worm gel]
[GOO_MAP_DESCRIPTOR]
[SYNDROME]
[SYN_NAME:herbed poison worm gel]
[SYN_IMMUNE_CREATURE:DWARF:ALL]
[SYN_CONTACT]
[CE_NUMBNESS:SEV:80:PROB:100:LOCALIZED:RESISTABLE:START:50:PEAK:1000:END:2000]

[SECRETION:LOCAL_CREATURE_MAT:OOZE:LIQUID:BY_CATEGORY:ALL:SKIN]
[SECRETION:LOCAL_CREATURE_MAT:OOZE:LIQUID:BY_CATEGORY:ALL:CLAW]
[MAXAGE:12:20]
[ATTACK:STAB:BODYPART:BY_CATEGORY:CLAW]
[ATTACK_SKILL:GRASP_STRIKE]
[ATTACK_VERB:stab at:stabs at]
[ATTACK_CONTACT_PERC:100]
[ATTACK_PENETRATION_PERC:100]
[ATTACK_FLAG_EDGE]
[ATTACK_PRIORITY:MAIN]
[ATTACK_FLAG_WITH]
[ALL_ACTIVE]
[SWIMS_INNATE][SWIM_SPEED:2500]
[MILKABLE:LOCAL_CREATURE_MAT:OOZE:15000]
[CASTE:FEMALE]
[FEMALE]
[CASTE:MALE]
[MALE]

Lysabild

• Bay Watcher
  • Eidora Terminus Imperii Romani
    • View Profile
    • My Steam!
« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2011, 04:47:52 pm »

watchin' dis

AdeleneDawner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2011, 07:07:58 pm »

It looks like there's no good way to apply poison to an item or area once it's in a container. But I'm kind of liking the ooze trails, and having a critter that has to be handled rather carefully seems dwarfy to me - kind of like magma. So poison worms are in. I'll leave the poison reactions in, too, except that I don't see much point in making the poison dwarf-safe if the result can't be used. I'll also bump the exuded poison's effectiveness up some. I'm still going to wait for feedback before I make different versions, though. Oh, and poisonous meat appears to be impossible as well.

DFFD will be updated shortly.

Ghills

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2011, 08:16:40 pm »

I'm trying to install this mod. But I'm running other mods at the same time, and those modify some of the same files. If you could list out the changes you make to the entity default file as well as having one in the download it would help.
I AM POINTY DEATH INCARNATE
Ye know, being an usurper overseer gone mad with power isn't too bad. It's honestly not that different from being a normal overseer.
To summarize:
They do an epic face. If that fails, they beat said object to death with their beard.

AdeleneDawner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 30, 2011, 08:37:47 pm »

I did, on the DFFD page.

In the entity_default file, add
[PERMITTED_REACTION:REDUCE_LIQUID]to the dwarf entity.

In the reaction_other file, change [REACTION:MAKE_MEAD] to this:
[REACTION:MAKE_MEAD]
[NAME:make mead]
[BUILDING:STILL:CUSTOM_M]
[REAGENT:honey:150:LIQUID_MISC:NONE:CREATURE_MAT:NONE:HONEY]
[HAS_MATERIAL_REACTION_PRODUCT:DRINK_MAT]
[UNROTTEN]
[REAGENT:honey container:1:NONE:NONE:NONE:NONE]
[CONTAINS:honey]
[PRESERVE_REAGENT]
[DOES_NOT_DETERMINE_PRODUCT_AMOUNT]
[REAGENT:barrel/pot:1:NONE:NONE:NONE:NONE]
[EMPTY]
[FOOD_STORAGE_CONTAINER] barrel or any non-absorbing tool with FOOD_STORAGE
[PRESERVE_REAGENT]
[DOES_NOT_DETERMINE_PRODUCT_AMOUNT]
[PRODUCT:100:5:DRINK:NONE:GET_MATERIAL_FROM_REAGENT:honey:DRINK_MAT]
[PRODUCT_TO_CONTAINER:barrel/pot]
[PRODUCT_DIMENSION:150]
[SKILL:BREWING]

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 30, 2011, 08:49:09 pm »

I'll probably be using this, as it's exactly the sort of thing I like. I'll likely tweak it to accommodate the VBASE fixes.

I'll suggest two things, though: Make use of attribute ranges for stuff like the truth spider's speed, and set proper relsizes for each creature.

AdeleneDawner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 30, 2011, 08:55:05 pm »

I'll have to look into attribute ranges - I'm actually still relatively new to modding and haven't looked at that yet.

What do you mean by 'proper relsizes'? I'm assuming that the defaults are basically okay unless I want something unusual, in which case I do have relsizes set, and they do seem to work. (Something fellowship-rat-sized wouldn't be able to give spinnable wool without the relsize tag on its hair, for example.)
Pages: [1] 2 3 4