Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14

Author Topic: Drunkenwhims of Artifice - .25 succession fort  (Read 19788 times)

Savolainen5

• Bay Watcher
  • This is a wug.
    • View Profile
Re: Drunkenwhims of Artifice - .25 succession fort
« Reply #165 on: May 04, 2011, 07:34:07 pm »

The tree farm is on the second level. If you go center over the walls and go down and a little to the right you should spot it.

I couldn't find the lever that operates its hatches, so I just built a new one!  :D
A small creature sometimes found on paper.  It is small.  Its eyes are black. It is adored by children for its cuteness.
(On a picture of cavies):
We see a family of small land rodents.
Dwarfs see masterpiece roasts.

Zdrok

• Bay Watcher
  • You are melting!
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: May 05, 2011, 09:03:10 am »

I'll sign up for a turn if you're still taking people, first time doing succession though.

Savolainen5

• Bay Watcher
  • This is a wug.
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: May 05, 2011, 05:31:15 pm »

I'll sign up for a turn if you're still taking people, first time doing succession though.

It's OK, it was mine too.  ^^

Anyways, I'll hopefully finish my turn tonight!
A small creature sometimes found on paper.  It is small.  Its eyes are black. It is adored by children for its cuteness.

Savolainen5

• Bay Watcher
  • This is a wug.
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: May 05, 2011, 11:18:51 pm »

Savs' wall-engraved log:

1 Moonstone (continued)

Since the caravan was intercepted a few days ago, I've left the military out by its remains so the dwarves can collect all the goods.

In other news, I have an idea.  We have all these creatures taking up space in our cages.  Why not make an arena?  The magma room is nearly dug, and that can wait until next year sometime.  We have enough candy.  I heard that there was once an arena in this fort, but it was reappropriated.  Now I'll make one that will stand the test of time!

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

12 Moonstone

From the Liaison, who stuck around after the unfortunate death of the caravan, I had Feb ask for the following:

• A LOT of wood.  You can NEVER have too much.  I know the fortress has a tree farm.  I say again, you can NEVER have too much wood.  This was the thesis of an essay I wrote in University for Fortress Management 2.
  • Steel bars.  Never know when you'll need some steel.
  • An assortment of seeds, for a rainy day
  • Training spears
  • Gauntlets and Greaves, because they're always in short supply.
  • More dogs!  I love dogs.  Also, some cats.
  • Alcohol up the wazoo.  We only have about 500 urists of it.
  • Gypsum plaster
  • Meat, fish, and cheese
  • Some barrels
  • Lye, pearlash, and coke.
  • And finally, some clay.

I hope Feb got all that...

18 Moonstone

A few marauding snatchers have killed a cat and scared some of the dwarves.  No matter.  Also, the Liaison presented Feb with the demands.

Oh, the Mountainhomes are fickle.

2 Opal

By Armok, it's getting overcrowded here...  One of the Defenders just gave birth to a boy!  We now have 101 dwarves!  Far too many.  Still, I suppose that we should count our blessings that we've prospered this much.

16 Opal

Progress on the tomb is SO SLOW...  And to think that the winter is half over already!  Feb is starting to complain about how much time and resources have been devoted to my project.  I haven't told her it's a tomb, I've told her it's a watchtower.  I'll put in my sarcophagus myself.

20 Opal

Another asocial mood...  A Defender, this time!  And he quickly claimed our new Jeweler's Shop!

9 Obsidian

Well, wall, it's finally finished!  My beautiful, beautiful tomb.  Now all that remains is to put the sarcophagus in.  I'll hold off until the end of the year.  In the meantime, Feb has posted a lookout there.  No matter, no matter.

10 Obsidian

Due to that Defender's asocial demands for animal products, I had several related workshops built, and stopped the dwarves from tossing the bones and skulls and whatnot in with the rest of the useless refuse.  Now we'll have the craftsdwarf shops churning out totems and bone crafts!

11 Obsidian

By Armok, another Defender, another child!

15 Obsidian

An ambush, eh?  Well, they can't touch us if we stay inside!  Still, the military will go on high alert.

16 Obsidian

Damn, two dwarves suffered major foot injuries.  Looks like they'll be crutch-wielding maniacs, now!  At least nobody died.

22 Obsidian

I decided today to bring my sarcophagus up.  Because it is I who mined and made the foundation for candy, I've made myself a candy sarcophagus.  It's not the best, but I made it myself and kept it a secret project.  I got some odd looks lugging the thing up from the forges, but Feb hasn't come roaring at me yet.  I expect that when I kick the guard out of what is my tomb, then she'll track me down.

23 Obsidian

Right, so now that I've brought the sarcophagus up, I'll FINALLY do a proper sketch of the tomb!

See the glass walls and the skylight?  Even when I'm dead, I will watch over the lands as I have this fort, and Armok, along with my personal gods Lol Shellsrampart (Goddess of Fortresses) and Domas (God of Trade and Wealth) will watch over me for all eternity.

Oh, here comes Feb.  She sounds angry!

Well, I have good news.  I'm still alive.  In fact, Feb said that I deserved a punishment worse than that fool Oddom, the Idiot of the Age.  However, she also saw all the good I've done, and decided that I would not continue on as overseer next year.  Rather, someone else drawn from the fortress will.  That's fine by me.  Now that I have my tomb, I'm all set.  And if ANYONE takes that tomb from me...  There will be problems.

30 Obsidian

Well, nothing else has happened this winter.  There're only a few loose ends...  The Arena and Magma Holding Room need finishing.  There's still that Defender who's holed up in the Jeweler's Workshop.  I've added more traps to the outer entrance, but there're materials for a few more.  And whoever becomes Overseer next year should come read this wall and get all of my wisdom.  Of course, I'm still around, so they could just ask.  I bet they didn't go to University...

---------------------
The save is here.

Yeah, whoever's next, just dorf yourself.  I forgot!
« Last Edit: May 05, 2011, 11:21:29 pm by Savolainen5 »

Thecko

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: May 06, 2011, 05:11:28 am »

That tomb looks really nice, good work! And the new arena is even better then the old one. Why did the military get injured, do they have armor, or are they still walking around in rags?

Zdrok

• Bay Watcher
  • You are melting!
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: May 06, 2011, 02:25:29 pm »

Can't do it immediately but I'll start up my turn later today.  Should I read through the entire post up to here?

Thecko

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: May 06, 2011, 02:47:07 pm »

As you wish, if you wanna go in blindly, dont read, but if you want some insight into preferences of other overseers, do so. And its more fun if you read it all, i think that is the reason we do this.

Savolainen5

• Bay Watcher
  • This is a wug.
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: May 06, 2011, 09:51:19 pm »

That tomb looks really nice, good work! And the new arena is even better then the old one. Why did the military get injured, do they have armor, or are they still walking around in rags?

Uhm, I reckon they just don't have boots.  I never really look at the inventory because I hate wading through the XX*Pig Tail Fiber S Snuggie*XX.

Zdrok

• Bay Watcher
  • You are melting!
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: May 07, 2011, 10:17:30 am »

Started up my turn, but got a few questions:

-How do you tell the date?
-What date does a turn end on?
-What's going on with the magma holding room, is a screw pump being set up to pump from below?

Savolainen5

• Bay Watcher
  • This is a wug.
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: May 07, 2011, 12:13:15 pm »

Started up my turn, but got a few questions:

-How do you tell the date?
-What date does a turn end on?
-What's going on with the magma holding room, is a screw pump being set up to pump from below?

-Hit [z] and you'll see the fortress status (oh, I forgot to post that.  Oh well) and the date's in the top right of the screen.

-Your turn ends around when spring begins.  If there's something exciting going on, you can go for a bit longer.

-Yeah, my plan was to pump out the magma so we could get access to that candy once more.  It's problematic because that's one of the best columns of it, as far as I've seen.  And then I accidentally misdesignated and POOF, no more.  So your answer is yes.

RTiger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #175 on: May 07, 2011, 01:14:32 pm »

A turn ends on 1 granite of the next year, or after one week passes in real time.

Zdrok

• Bay Watcher
  • You are melting!
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: May 07, 2011, 05:29:30 pm »

Spring coming later tonight, sorry it took so long.  Took a while to get used to this fort.

Zdrok

• Bay Watcher
  • You are melting!
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: May 07, 2011, 11:56:20 pm »

Excerpt from the journal of Zdrok Cattenbakust

1 Granite
Today our former Overseer, Savs, resigned from his position.  Mom (The mayor!) is leading us for now, but ever since my brother died she's been kind of out of it.  She needs my help, I can tell.  I guess I'll have a bit of a say around here for a while, at least until we get our next overseer.  That's right.  Our home is being led by a six year old.

So I guess I'd better get to work.  Right after this plump helmet.

5 Granite

Working on the magma holding area.  These dwarves just do not understand what I want them to do.

9 Granite
I've been working on adding siege engines to the various defenses we have around here.  Since we're lacking slightly in wood, we're going to be using catapults instead of ballista.
Also can't wait to see what that Defender-C is making in the Jeweler's workshop.  She's drawing pictures of what she's making, so I assume she's doing alright.

20 Granite
The siege workshop and practice area is set up, now it's time to start cranking out parts for catapults.  I'm going to set up at least four of them.  The yellow is where the catapults will go, the blue will be a bridge, the black will be a channel, and the green will be the hordes of goblins soon to be crushed by various chunks of minerals.  This should work nicely as an opening assault to thin out swarms of melee-only goblins before leading them into the ridiculous narrow bridge of death.

21 Granite
Dammit mom.  Didn't we already go through this?

27 Granite
Arena's done.  It should be great for disposing of all those mountain gnomes.  I'm still partial to giant pits, though.  I may have to ask for one of those.

6 Slate
The administrator just made a beardling.  My mom still won't explain how that happens, but I have a feeling it has to do with magma.  And catapults.

9 Slate
Holy Armok.  Today some Wallsmith came up to that Defender-C and started bugging her about her project.  I guess everything wasn't going okay.

She chased down that poor man and in one swift blow it was over.

Of all the people in this fort to freak out, WHY DID IT HAVE TO BE THE WOMAN WITH THE GIANT STEEL SPEAR!?

WHY!?
She started chasing down the Maternity Leave lady.  The closest soldier was pretty far away; she was in some deep sh- magma.

But wait!  That lady did nothing wrong to her!  Why waste her rage on an innocent civilian?  No, the real criminal here, the person who had to be eliminated, was the six month old baby she was carrying.

Oh god.

The baby bled to death, and while the Defender was busy being infatuated with the dead infant's severed body parts, a silver bolt flew towards her and lodged in her hand, shattering it.  She dropped the spear.  All the soldiers quickly surrounded her and...

...bruised her fat.  Seriously, what the HFS?

Slate 10
She finally bled to death overnight.  She was bruised until her skin peeled from her bones like an elf from its wet, sticky, urine-soaked bedcovers.

Slate 23
Migrants Future siege operators have arrived!  I drafted a couple of them into the military as well.  No, Urist McPretentiousAsshole, we don't need your High-Master spinner skills.

Felsite 6
This glassmaker guy claimed a magma forge.  This better not be a repeat of what just happened.  She better kill at least THREE people this time.  Also checking through our logs, I realized we never appointed a Captain of the Guard.  I'll get right on tha-

NO.

Before I could stop him, he had already killed a blacksmith.  We once again have no fortress guard.

Felsite 22
The glassmaker's finished with his thingy.  Let's see what it is...

I CALL DIBS

Felsite 28
My project is complete!  Here's the surface with the added catapults. (Which are to be used for FORTRESS DEFENSE, not dwarven reproduction.)  The lever at the top retracts the bridge.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Out of character now, sorry it took so long.  I was so amazed by how complex this fort is that I couldn't find anything to do for a while.  I'll try to speed it up a bit now.

Thecko

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: May 08, 2011, 05:01:59 am »

Omg, this was funny, first the berserk military guy, then the captain of the guard, kicking everyones asses! You should make jails, so that this kind of things dont happen. And when a mood dwarf draws things, it means he is needing some of them, by looking at the drawings you can inspect what he needs.

Savolainen5

• Bay Watcher
  • This is a wug.
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: May 08, 2011, 07:49:12 am »

Excellent!  That was good!  Don't forget to set the pop cap to 50!  That's the original goal, hah.
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14