Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Plant-based glazes... Why isn't this working?  (Read 5338 times)

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
  • Discordia Vobis Com Et Cum Spiritum
    • View Profile
Plant-based glazes... Why isn't this working?
« on: March 30, 2011, 10:37:56 am »

Ok, so I put together some custom plants with the intent of being able to use the products from said plants as glazes, but the game doesn't seem to recognize the plant products as potential glazes. I'm posting the raws and have bolded the relevant sections, can any of you figure out what I did wrong?

Spoiler: Comedy Stick (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Volcano Root (click to show/hide)

Edit: Tried to fix the problem with some custom reactions, which also isn't working

Spoiler: Custom Reactions (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: April 04, 2011, 09:08:03 pm by Bohandas »
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
Re: Plant-based glazes... Why isn't this working?
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2011, 11:21:13 am »

They don't work because the glazing reactions only accept raw materials not stored in containers - in order to even consider them, you'll need to modify the existing glaze reactions to accept objects stored in containers (ideally POWDER_MISC:NONE objects stored in BOX:NONE containers with the [BAG] property), then add new reactions (likely at a quern/millstone) to grind ash/cassiterite into glaze powder.

There's also the issue that "magma lacquer" is a liquid at room temperature, stored in a vial. Even if you added additional reactions to accept liquid glazes, I'm not sure the glaze would actually be applied successfully.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2011, 11:25:30 am by Quietust »
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2011, 11:28:09 am »

Just to briefly go into a technical derail - lacquer is different from a glaze - you put plant-based dies in a kiln and fire it to 1000 degrees, you will reduce the dyes to ash.  Glazes are metals that won't burn.  Lacquer is more like conventional paint.  (And I've been meaning to work on something like a lacquerware mod for a while, now...)
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2011, 11:40:54 am »

There's also the issue that "magma lacquer" is a liquid at room temperature, stored in a vial. Even if you added additional reactions to accept liquid glazes, I'm not sure the glaze would actually be applied successfully.

The "Raw Magma Lacquer" is a liquid, the actual "Magma Lacquer" defined immediately below is functionally identical to the default glaze materials.
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2011, 11:57:49 am »

Shouldn't you be defining the lacquer as a glaze material in the body of the code where you are defining the mill product, rather than the whole plant?
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2011, 11:48:18 am »

Shouldn't you be defining the lacquer as a glaze material in the body of the code where you are defining the mill product, rather than the whole plant?

I'm not sure I understand what you mean by that.
What is TPP
----------------------
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2011, 01:54:44 pm »

Will this custom reaction work?
(Given that I've changed the GLAZE_MATs in the custom plants to LACQUER_MAT)

[REACTION:LACQUER_LARGE_POT]
   [NAME:lacquer large clay/stone pot]
   [BUILDING:KILN:CUSTOM_ALT_Q]
   [REAGENT:glaze:1:NONE:NONE:NONE:NONE]
      [HAS_MATERIAL_REACTION_PRODUCT:LACQUER_MAT]
   [REAGENT:large pot:1:TOOL:ITEM_TOOL_LARGE_POT:NONE:NONE]
      [REACTION_CLASS:CAN_GLAZE]
      [EMPTY]
      [NOT_IMPROVED]
      [PRESERVE_REAGENT]
   [IMPROVEMENT:100:large pot:GLAZED:GET_MATERIAL_FROM_REAGENT:glaze:LACQUER_MAT]
   [SKILL:GLAZING]
What is TPP
----------------------
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

Grimlocke

• Bay Watcher
  • *kobold noises*
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2011, 02:18:36 pm »

You may need to include a container for the laquer.
I make Grimlocke's History & Realism Mods. Its got poleaxes, sturdy joints and bloomeries. Now compatible with DF Revised!

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2011, 02:30:49 pm »

You may need to include a container for the laquer.

Is there any way to do thatn in such a way as to include both the magma lacauer (which is stored in a flask) and the laughing lacquer (which is stored in a bag)?

Would...   
[REAGENT:container:1:NONE:NONE:NONE:NONE]
      [CONTAINS_REAGENT:glaze]
      [PRESERVE_REAGENT]

Work?
What is TPP
----------------------
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2011, 09:09:52 pm »

Ok, so I tried to fix the problem with some custom reactions but they're not working. What's wrong?

Spoiler: Comedy Stick (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Volcano Root (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Custom Reactions (click to show/hide)
[/quote]
What is TPP
----------------------
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2011, 09:20:03 pm »

Changed those custom reactions I mentioned in my last post so that they mention the container the reagent is in, but it still doesn't work.

Next I'm gonna try tweaking the order in which the reagents are specified. Maybe that'll work. Wish me luck.
What is TPP
----------------------
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2011, 09:59:48 pm »

OK, with this version of the reaction, the task is being performed, but its not doing anything:

What is TPP
----------------------
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 04, 2011, 10:30:58 pm »

OK, with this version of the reaction, the task is being performed, but its not doing anything:

additionally, it seems to be ignoring the first two reagents entirely...
What is TPP
----------------------
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 04, 2011, 10:35:52 pm »

OK, found an error with the container, I left out the number of reagents. Now its back to not letting me perform the reaction:

What is TPP
----------------------
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 05, 2011, 11:33:47 am »

Do you think that it would help to move the actual lacquers/glazes to an "inorganic_..." file?

Or to make the reaction reagents more specific?
What is TPP
----------------------
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις
Pages: [1] 2