Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Request: Utility reads/sorts item raws  (Read 1050 times)

Chromasphere

• Bay Watcher
  • UUUUU,.,..,..,U,.""T"T"T"T""T
    • View Profile
Request: Utility reads/sorts item raws
« on: July 07, 2011, 10:45:09 am »

I was wondering if anyone would be able to make a utility that could read all the ITEM_x raws within a directory and allow sorting of some of the info.  The idea is for it to read all the item raws including modded ones so that you can see the stats for all weapons etc you have and be able to sort them.  Right now, when mixing and adding parts of mods, I need to manually go through each item raw to make sure everything is balanced and to know which weapon is better than another for certain uses.  This tool would be very useful to quickly get a sense of where all items are in relation to each other.  Reading inorganic raws too would be useful.

Anyway, this is just an idea that I haven't seen talked about and think is well within the abilities of a number of people out there.

Thanks
"I saw the best minds of my generation destroyed by tantrums, starving hysterical naked,
    dragging themselves through the dwarven streets at dawn looking for a helpless cat"-Vaftrudner

"We aren't customers or investors - we're spectators tossing donations into the coin box while watching someone build their work of art"-Psieye

Ghills

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Request: Utility reads/sorts item raws
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2011, 06:05:19 pm »

It doesn't sort the RAWs themselves, but DF Mod Manager reads your RAWs and presents them in more human-readable format. It's also much easier to manage any changes with DFMM.  http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=74828.0
I AM POINTY DEATH INCARNATE
Ye know, being an usurper overseer gone mad with power isn't too bad. It's honestly not that different from being a normal overseer.
To summarize:
They do an epic face. If that fails, they beat said object to death with their beard.

Chromasphere

• Bay Watcher
  • UUUUU,.,..,..,U,.""T"T"T"T""T
    • View Profile
Re: Request: Utility reads/sorts item raws
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2011, 12:12:54 am »

Thanks, I'll check it out...   Yah, not really the thing to use, but thanks for the reply.  Manually adding in stats for materials and items in a spreadsheet is still the best way so far to get a good comparative picture of multiple raw matterials and items.

OK, so no takers?  I've noticed lots of people asking mod makers about the density of this or that, or some other characteristic of some item compared to another.  A simple program for reading this info and putting it into a sortable spreadsheet type format would be invaluable... even for the mod makers.  But I guess I'll let this sink to the bottom, I don't want to bump it too much.  Too bad, it would have been very useful.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2011, 08:43:20 am by Chromasphere »
"I saw the best minds of my generation destroyed by tantrums, starving hysterical naked,
    dragging themselves through the dwarven streets at dawn looking for a helpless cat"-Vaftrudner

"We aren't customers or investors - we're spectators tossing donations into the coin box while watching someone build their work of art"-Psieye