Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: More males, less females  (Read 1838 times)

Pan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
More males, less females
« on: July 08, 2011, 11:08:02 am »

I have a fortress where around 70% of the dwarves are females.  I hate how moms soldiers bring their babies into the battle and get all emo at their deaths. Also, the 'Urist McMom has given birth to yet another useless mouth' is starting to get on my nerves. And something less important is how I always envision dwarves - bearded, short and muscular men. It's a little less inspiring when most of the military are women carrying babies with them.

Is there a way to increase the percentage of males, and decrease the amount of females?

Stormcloudy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: More males, less females
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2011, 11:51:05 am »

Simple. Just select males only for your militia.

GregHayes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.opengameforge.org
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2011, 11:59:36 am »

If you want a modding solution, you can just add a POP_RATIO token to both male and female castes. [POP_RATIO:1] for females and [POP_RATIO:2] for males will get you 2/3rds male fortress on average. Might cause reproduction problems, though.

nanomagnetic

• Bay Watcher
  • cable * sprocket * chain
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2011, 12:14:18 pm »

You could also make the little'uns grow up at age 2 while you're messing with the creature RAW. That would make them a little less useless.
Foldedlens -- 1004

Pan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2011, 12:57:05 pm »

If you want a modding solution, you can just add a POP_RATIO token to both male and female castes. [POP_RATIO:1] for females and [POP_RATIO:2] for males will get you 2/3rds male fortress on average. Might cause reproduction problems, though.

Reproduction problems in fortress mode? Bah, I have no use for babies.
Simple. Just select males only for your militia.

Yes, I try. However, some females have good weapon skills, or high physical traits that I simply must have them in the military.

You could also make the little'uns grow up at age 2 while you're messing with the creature RAW. That would make them a little less useless.

I would rather not change this.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2011, 01:03:04 pm by Pan »