Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: the super-soldier thread  (Read 10941 times)

lanceleoghauni

• Bay Watcher
  • Purveyor of Ridiculous machinery.
    • View Profile
Re: the super-soldier thread
« Reply #15 on: April 11, 2011, 11:57:18 pm »

Summoning the avatar of armok i see.  ;D Carry on.
"Mayor, the Nobles are complaining again!"

*Mayor facepalms*

"pull the lever of magmatic happiness"

Byakugan01

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 12, 2011, 12:18:56 am »

In the not-so-far future: "URIST-117 reporting for duty, sir." (Elves are the new Covenant.)
From Mr. Welch's 1350 things he is not allowed to do in a RPG:
148. There is no Gnomish Deathgrip, and even if there was, it wouldn't involve tongs.
171. My character's dying words are not allowed to be "Hastur, Hastur, Hastur"
218. No matter my alignment, organizing halfling pit fights is a violation.
231. I am not allowed to do anything that would make a Sith Lord cry.
240. Any character with more than three skills specializing in chainsaw is vetoed.

Mechatronic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 12, 2011, 12:34:14 am »

Doren has been my best military dwarf, trained the regular way though. She's one of the original seven, along with Iton the militia commander. She has 214 notable kills now after seven years of defending the fortress with the fortress defence mod.Racked up another 35 kills last season. Iton isn't bad either. Nightwing elite crossbowmen was chasing him last siege and got a bit close, lost both arms and legs before he could fly up a z-level.

acer_palmatum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 12, 2011, 04:33:11 am »

just wanted to add that it is healthier to have more than one soldier fighting due to it training the personality trait 'detachment'. this controls how susceptible your fortress is to tantrum spirals so it is good to have a rolling draft of civilians into the military because it is easier to train detachment via kills than by the loss of friends. you can view the level of this trait on the last line of the character sheet, low has no message, medium has 'getting used to tragedy', high has 'is a hardened individual' and max is 'Doesn't really care about anything anymore'

so I usually train 1 super soldier and then do regular training for the rest, drafting in civilians that are talking too much and making friends

superradish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 12, 2011, 02:44:02 pm »

well, goblins and trolls really can't make it past the main gate or lid of the fort (topside bridge that goes over staircases). Even if they do, they're shredded by the secondary defense of traps. A set of 6 towers and ramparts are in place for the marksdwarves to fire down into the fray.
Tharwen cancels butcher dead animal: interrupted by Zombie Badger

Komus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 12, 2011, 04:28:19 pm »

Ok, ok, normally I wouldn't bother to post, but in my current fort I really became attached to a dwarf for the first time. Sure I've had lots of great epics to bore my friends in the pub with, but never have I really had one dwarf actually earn my respect. This is the story of "Radgey Bastard" Homagedoors the Crazed Faith.

Violentmines is my .25 fortress, succeeding my .18 one. We were in year 3 and mining of the great magma hall was nearing completion. A migrant of the second wave, Ribartun was one of the militia. They had only a seasons worth of danger room training at most (around level 5-10), iron armour and an steel battleaxe and shield each. A second militia unit was armed with spears, but had received no training.

Mogozkok "The Crazed Assaults"

Despite great care being taken to minimize fortress wealth, the goblins had arrived with a siege force - at a really, really inconvenient time... Ribartun was one of three dwarves who were caught outside when the great gate was closed. Urist Hauler and Urist Woodchuck were promptly dispatched, and the main goblin force moved to occupy the ground around said gate.

Rib, on the other hand, decided not to die. Staying away from the gate, he goaded a squad of goblins into chasing him. As they converged on his position, he drew them into some sort of capoeira style, running fight. For a clean 5 minutes I watched, enthralled, as he fought and lived! Three goblins were felled before one managed to catch him in the back of his arm and followed up by cutting off his left hand. Rib bit him in the lower stomach and tore his guts out.

Clearly, Armok favoured this courageous dwarf. And so with a spartan cry which caused the missus some distress, I ordered the charge! The main gate crashed down, and my brave 19 spilled forth. Clearly, Ribartun's maniacal bloodthirst had left an impression - the entire goblin force began to flee! And here's where Rib earned not only his "Crazed Faith" title, but was fittingly dubbed "Radgey Bastard" by the goddess Mymissus.

Far from running to the hospital, Rib charged headlong into the fleeing goblins. During his lone stand, he generated 6 pages of reports. At the end of the day, he had 32 pages and 28 kills. With one hand missing. Almost all of these where done with a steel shield.

Epilogue

Single handedly killed an fb which gave him necrosis of his entire body. Despite his ability to grasp being somewhat impared and the fact that he prefers that others handle leadership roles, Radgey is now the Duke of Violentmines. He likes gold. There is none on the map. I don't care.

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 18, 2011, 05:01:32 am »

I just created a super-dwarf in my Fortress Defense fort. Though I've seen many dwarves with kills in the 100s while playing DF, this guy's story is unique among them.

In my personal version of the game, I modded dwarves to mature to adulthood in 1 year but die in 10, so that children would be useful and I'd see lots of grandparents.

A few years after my fort was founded, my hastily scraped-together military of 20 dwarves was annihilated by a three-way siege of Nightwings, Furies, and Tigermen. I sealed up the fortress so that I could have a chance to recover, but meanwhile my civilians collapsed into tantrum spiral. My population dwindled from 97 to 36. Most of the starting generation of the fort died, leaving only bloodied peasants who had never ventured beyond the safety of my stone walls within which they were born.

During the spiral, my Architect and Legendary Stone Mason went berserk after his wife's death. His only son, still a child, was alone with him in their room. Judging them both lost, I locked the door and went to order my fortress guard to kill another dwarf who had gone berserk in the dining room. Shortly after, I checked back, and saw that the child was still alive. Somehow, he had killed his father and suffered no wounds. The child's stats showed that he was incredibly muscular. I immediately named him "Parricide" so that I would remember his history.

Later on, when frogmen and warwolves laid siege to the fort, Parricide was one of those I drafted. He outlived all his comrades, and eventually took over as chief of the military after the previous Militia Commander died of old age. His legendary sword Tothiegi recorded 131 kills. Unfortunately, I became careless, and during a clean-up, I left all three gates open and dispersed my military to defend the peasants recovering armor from the battlefield. Parricide defended the west gate while four enemy sieges descended on the fort at once. Unconcentrated, my squads in the field perished covering the retreat of the civilians, leaving only a fraction of my military to hold off the rest of the enemy masses. Parricide led his squad into the jaws of the waiting great fiend spiders attacking his gate, sacrificing his life to give me time to close it, but despite his sacrifice the east gate was utterly overrun by giants, and the fortress fell soon after.
...as if nothing really matters...

The Legend of Tholtig Cryptbrain: 8000 dead elves and a cyclops

Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod

devek

• Bay Watcher
  • [KILL_EVERYTHING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 18, 2011, 06:14:27 am »

Worthwhile reads lol.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

"Why do people rebuild things that they know are going to be destroyed? Why do people cling to life when they know they can't live forever?"

MasterMorality

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 18, 2011, 07:35:50 am »

My Borioth High Gore is working towards this. He is now wielding a masterwork black steel two handed sword and frequently charges into battle, like some crazed Beserker, and hacks apart everything around him, receiving little in the way of harm. (Touch wood). It's early days yet, he's been three or four years in the military, racked up sixteen kills in that time (although one of his hammerman underlings now has nineteen), he's a master fighter and is training his sword skills.
May he continue to slay for years to come.

My personal approach is simply to train them by use of combat alone. Those who died, we salute you. Those who lived attain higher glory.

I'm slowly going to build up squads of veteran fighters. The ones that fall weren't good enough and will be replaced. Over years, new recruits will learn gradually from combat, their veteran elders will protect them by amassing most of the kills, and they in time will stand with them, dealing the same amount of death. But only when they have seen many campaigns and much blood.

Also, I have a squad of soldiers who are assigned specifically to protect the fortress from the caverns. They are stationed to train at the entrance to the surface - their barracks is literally in harms way 100% of the time. I expect that after a while, the constant training on small critters, will have better effect than training.

Also, roughly half of my military is made up of hunters, so those that are off duty are usually venturing alone into the caverns to hunt the wild beasts and monstrosities there anyway. Granted, a lot of the early ones are killed when they come across an Arachna or some-such, but in general my military very rarely stop training in one form or another.

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 18, 2011, 08:53:34 pm »

[quote author=acer_palmatum link=topic=80999.msg2177158#msg2177158 date=1302600791

so I usually train 1 super soldier and then do regular training for the rest, drafting in civilians that are talking too much and making friends
[/quote]

I'm imagining your peasants shuffling by each other hurriedly in the halls, fearful to even glance at each other lest the fortress leadership grows suspicious and drafts them into the military to die.
...as if nothing really matters...

The Legend of Tholtig Cryptbrain: 8000 dead elves and a cyclops

Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod

rico6822

• Bay Watcher
  • Constantly fails to become elephant man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 05, 2022, 08:38:53 am »

Let us not forget THE LOGICAL EXTREME OF STEEL SPIDER NECROMANCER EYELESS ANGEL!!!

1. Cannot get syndromes or diseases. May as well be deadly dust immune.
2. May have spider body for web immunity.
3. Carrying shield or more for dragonfire immunity.
4. Won't get instakilled by ghosts.
5. Magma crabs can be dodged away from.
6. All equipment artifact adamatine.
7. Extravision against some intelligent undead tricks.
8. Either vampire or werebeast for player's choice.
9. Carries a rangered weapon anyway. Just in case.

Unfortunately intelligent undead can still paralyze them or knock away.
Does anybody know how to become an elephant man in adventure mode? I literally did all advanced world settings possible to increase chances.

Salmeuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 05, 2022, 12:39:10 pm »

when did the necromancers decide to target bay12. . . did we steal one of their books or something

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 09, 2022, 03:19:05 pm »

You don't understand thread necromancy is a longstanding tradition
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.
Pages: 1 [2]