Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: the super-soldier thread  (Read 10878 times)

superradish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
the super-soldier thread
« on: March 30, 2011, 09:03:44 pm »

Hi all. After playing for a year or so i've finally come up with something to contribute to the community of dwarf fortress: The Super-Soldier Dwarf Program.

At some point everyone who spends any time enjoying this game learns of the "danger room" - a method which trains any dwarf subjected to it into a legendary armor user/shield user/dodger/weapon user. I tried this myself, and while it was fun for awhile, i decided against ever doing it again because it made the military aspect of the game a major yawn. This was punctuated with one dwarf killing two forgotten beasts at once. I went a bit overboard and had two squads of these danger-room trained dwarves all in adamantite armor with adamantite weapons. Such a dwarf turns out to be indestructible.

I then had a thought... danger rooms may ruin the fun of the military for some, but there's still potential for fun to be had by people who have turned their noses up at it in the past. Enter the super-soldier program. It's a simple idea: Make a danger room. Use its behavior that has been described as an exploit, a bug... and make it viable. You train one dwarf with it at a time. If an ambush or siege comes, you send the one dwarf out. He/she alone gets the armor and the weapons, and racks up quite a kill list. This thread is where i will post the exploits of my super-soldiers.

My first subject is Asmel BelalKubuk. She's odd amongst female dwarves because she keeps her hair shorn. That's right, she's completely bald BY CHOICE. Should she ever perish, i shall post her kill count here. If you the public also choose to implement the super-soldier program... please post your super soldier's kills as well. Amusing battle stories also work.

Strike the earth! and when enemies come knocking send out your one-dwarf-army.
Tharwen cancels butcher dead animal: interrupted by Zombie Badger

Ultraviolent4

• Bay Watcher
  • Lol words
    • View Profile
Re: the super-soldier thread
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2011, 09:27:47 pm »

I made a super soldier without using a danger room at all. His skills were all amassed from individual training and battle - when I noticed how awesome he was, I started sending him out on his own to deal with sieges.

I'm not at home so I can't check but he has somewhere around 300 kills.

Here's a screenshot of a siege :)

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2011, 09:41:23 pm »

I feel obligated to post this:

Cog's Journal, 1st of Malachite 316

Derm expressed his disappointment to me that he didn’t get to fight the grime beast.  Well I think he’ll enjoy fighting this one. 

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Go get it Derm!

Events of the 2nd of Malachite 316

Derm the Soulchopper was ready for battle once again.  For one moment, he thought he was going to miss out on the fun when the creature stumbled into the cage traps. 

But the beast quickly burst the cage open and continued its steady walk towards the fortress.  Derm shouted out a challenge. “Oi, UGLY!  Yes I mean both of you!  Bad luck getting hit by the ugly stick in both faces don't you think?” 

The Ettin roared in anger with one head at the insult and the other head shouted “You are no match for me puny dwarf.  I am Gerthu the Destroyer.  I will stomp you and all your other puny dwarves to take this place as my home!”  And then it charged at Derm.  Derm deftly sidestepped the clumsy charge and with a twitch of his axe, he fractured the Ettin's left foot, tearing nerves and tendons.  In response the Ettin collapsed to the ground gasping in pain.   

Derm looked at the thing with a mixture of pity and disgust.  “That’s it?  Really?  Is this really the best you can do” he asked as he hacked his axe into the right foot with the axe.  “Honestly, I was expecting better.”  Snick went the axe and the Ettin's hand went sailing away.  The Ettin tried to crawl away.  “Seriously” Derm said, “you came here threating to kill my people and take away all our hard work?  And THIS is the best you have to show for it?”  And with that he sent the left head flying. 

The right head looked paler than Derm thought possible.  He continued to idly chop at it with his axe but he was getting bored.  Might as well finish the thing off.  “Goodby Gerthu the Destroyed.”  he said as he carved off the right head with one more deft blow of the axe. 

Forgotten beasts were much more interesting.  It was a shame the one in the depths was probably too dangerous to handle. 

OOC: ... Now that runesmith works properly, I inspected Derm's stats.  Derm is now a level 69 Axedwarf, level 24 shield user and a level 82 fighter.  Level 16 is legendary, so Derm is now a Legendary +65 fighter and a Legendary +53 Axedwarf!
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

superradish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2011, 01:47:13 pm »

After destroying a mighty cyclops without a scratch while wielding an axe in one hand and a sword in the other, Asmel was slain by a goblin bowman's arrow to the back of the head during a siege. Through the steel helm... after killing 3 goblins in hand to hand combat. Seeing the fort's mighty hero plunge into chaos, everyone waited (or caused, in the case of the magma lever being pulled) for death to claim them. Then the game crashed. The next test subject should fare better. There's some weird bugs going on with assigning your woodsman to the military. The next super-soldier will mine instead of chopping down trees.

JmzLost

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2011, 02:38:31 pm »

FYI, miners, woodcutters, and hunters all have a civilian uniform that conflicts with the military.  You can train their stats with mining/woodcutting, but turn the labor off before making them a soldier.  Otherwise they will try to change their uniform when switching between civ and military duties.

JMZ
Also, obviously, magma avalanches and tsunamis weren't exactly a contingency covered in the mission briefing.
I can assure you that Ardentdikes is not the first fortress to be flooded with magma. What's unusual is that we actually meant to flood it with magma.

superradish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2011, 06:52:07 pm »

oh. Here i was thinking it'd be nice to have the super-soldier as a woodcutter because he'd already be armed with an axe, but it seems that is not the case

superradish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2011, 01:11:31 pm »

I decided to make my super-soldier, Momuz Gusilimesh Cudistdolek (the scalded comet) the baron. After that he became the count. Since he's twice as fast as any dwarf, he's on hauling duty. Gets a LOT more work done than your average dorf, that's for sure. At 84 kills, he's well on his way to becoming the most amazing legend the world has seen. His mausoleum is engraved with pictures of him striking down goblins and being surrounded by adoring fans. The halls are adorned with statues commemorating his exploits.
Yes Momuz Gusilimesh of The Invisible Doors, the world looks upon you in awe.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2011, 01:54:59 pm »

And you demoted promoted him to Baron.

If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Lagslayer

• Bay Watcher
  • stand-up philosopher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2011, 02:07:17 pm »

There's always the HFS to test your super soldiers. Full adamantine armor won't protect against !fire! very much, and demons have the potential to be very big, imposing, and just generally deadly. Also, badgers.

ZachUSAman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2011, 03:19:11 pm »

gonna train 6 super soldiers and form a team... a noble team. 8)

Necro910

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Drunk +5
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2011, 03:22:08 pm »

gonna train 6 super soldiers and form a team... a noble team. 8)
I'm doing with 9. But they're not fully armored  :-\

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2011, 03:29:17 pm »

There's always the HFS to test your super soldiers. Full adamantine armor won't protect against !!fire!! very much, and demons have the potential to be very big, imposing, and just generally deadly. Also, badgers.

It's [color=cyan], and fire has a ‼double‼ exclamation point bracketing it. That said, enough supersoldiers should be able to take them out.

ChiliFriez

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 07, 2011, 03:53:37 pm »

Had a great axedwarf nicknamed "Helenka," had around fifty kills I believe, not the best, but she was getting there. Then I found the circus. And a gobbo siege led by a clown showed up. She SHOULD have been able to demolish that siege (And afterwards, I was gonna let her make a last stand at the circus), but the damn clown that led the siege released poisonous vapors that messed her up. YOU'LL BE MISSED HELENKA. Fort went down too.

Necro910

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Drunk +5
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 07, 2011, 03:54:40 pm »

Had a great axedwarf nicknamed "Helenka," had around fifty kills I believe, not the best, but she was getting there. Then I found the circus. And a gobbo siege led by a clown showed up. She SHOULD have been able to demolish that siege (And afterwards, I was gonna let her make a last stand at the circus), but the damn clown that led the siege released poisonous vapors that messed her up. YOU'LL BE MISSED HELENKA. Fort went down too.
Ouch.

superradish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 07, 2011, 06:26:04 pm »

the point of this thread is to detail the exploits of ONE super-soldier, not an entire squad of them... it gets pretty boring with an entire squad. My super-soldier is legendary with every weapon (yeah blatantly exploited and had him wield 7 weapons in one hand) AND he knocks bolts and arrows shot at him out of the air. it's crazy. i've also seen him remove appendages with his teeth. The cyclops didn't even get to react. It had one leg broken with a kick and the other sliced off with the axe. The head was removed on the 5th stroke. Oh, it's a thing of beauty....

of course, he had to like ADAMANTINE and CRYSTAL GLASS. Dig like hell for one mandate and pray to toady for the other? ><
Pages: [1] 2