Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: When is a corpse not a corpse? Butchering driving me nuts!  (Read 6130 times)

Immacolata

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
When is a corpse not a corpse? Butchering driving me nuts!
« on: March 31, 2011, 01:15:26 am »

My axe dwarf killed a bunch of annoying badgers in my embark.

Took me a while to get my haulers to pick up corpses from outside the fortress.

Then they proceed to haul the corpse to my Refuse stockpile outside. But I made a Corpse stockpile inside. For some reason that isnt working.

I am so confused by this, Refuse, Corpse, what the heck? Why is my Badger corpse (not rotten, still butcherable) not hauled to the Corpse stock pile I made next to my butcher's shop. Why is it hauled to the Refuse stockpile where I SPECIFICALLY MADE SURE CORPSES ARE DISABLED?

Enlighten me, please :(

Jelle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: When is a corpse not a corpse? Butchering driving me nuts!
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2011, 01:19:45 am »

Be sure to toggle the storage of corpses off for your refuse stockpile. If I remember correctly corpses are classed under refuse.

Fredd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2011, 01:35:23 am »

There are a couple of possibilities. A butcher shop can be built by a trapper, small animal dissector, and of course a butcher. Make sure you actually have a dwarf with butchery enabled on labor screen. If you do, see if he is busy doing other jobs. As for the 2 refuse piles, make sure the main one does not allow corpses, and the one near the butcher shop does. Make sure collect refuse from outside is enabled in the work orders.
 Usually a butcherable corpse is grabbed quickly, if the butcher is not busy. If the lazy bum is at a party, undesignate the source of the party. Also be ready to handle miasma, for any refuse pile, if indoors.
Should you fail to comply, strict !!disciplinary actions!! will be taken. Also, we feel we should remind you that one of the "criminals" on your list is the chief medical dwarf. If he ends up too badly injured to do his job, you will be fired. Out of a magma cannon.
Sincerely,
The Administration

Immacolata

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2011, 03:02:17 am »

Thanks,

So, will enabling Corpses of my butcher pile and disabling corpses in my outdoors refuse stockpile disallow vermins? Coz I really dont want a bunch of dead rodents and dragonflies cluttering up my indoor fortress area.

Rushmik

• Bay Watcher
  • Militia? Oh, you mean *serrated steel discs*
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2011, 03:07:04 am »

Also be ready to handle miasma, for any refuse pile, if indoors.

A meat locker keeps it behind a sealed door ;)

AdeleneDawner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2011, 03:54:09 am »

Animal corpses are refuse; dwarf corpses (and possibly pet corpses, since they can be put in coffins) are corpses.

Unless it's changed since .18, refuse piles can be set to only allow certain kinds of animal corpses, and not allow anything but animal corpses, including vermin corpses. Pressing 't' when you're in the stockpile menu, instead of pressing a letter associated with a general kind of stockpile like 'corpse' or 'refuse', will bring up a menu that allows you to specify that, or you can (q)uery your stockpiles as you would a workshop and press 's' to edit their settings, for the same menu. You can also mix things from multiple stockpiles this way, for example plump helmets and empty barrels or weapons and armor.
Dying (ceasing to be alive) is also not a Moodable skill. Even totally unskilled Dwarves seem to do it correctly.

TigerPlushie

• Bay Watcher
  • [CAN_DRAMA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2011, 07:56:17 am »

I got a related issue.

My refuse stockpile (corpses) is steadily filling up with completely decomposed corpses, speak Skeletons, which are somewhat in the way. They don't decompose further to their parts and can't be butchered...
Dwarf cancelled making adamantium short sword: Strange mood.
Dwarf has entered a marital trance!
Dwarf has claimed a bedroom.

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2011, 08:16:45 am »

Animal corpses are refuse; dwarf corpses (and possibly pet corpses, since they can be put in coffins) are corpses.

It helps to know that corpse stockpiles used to be known as "graveyard" stockpiles until Toady decided it wasn't a very accurate term (since they aren't meant to be final resting places, only temporary storage until they are buried in a coffin). I believe the name change coincided with the addition of ghosts.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2011, 08:17:35 am »

My refuse stockpile (corpses) is steadily filling up with completely decomposed corpses, speak Skeletons, which are somewhat in the way. They don't decompose further to their parts and can't be butchered...
Are the skeletons from the corpses of tame animals?  If so, they can't be butchered, and as you have noticed they'll never decompose further.  You need to make a garbage dump somewhere and designate the skeletons to be dumped.

To the OP:  Corpse stockpiles are for dwarves and pets.  They used to be called Graveyard stockpiles in older versions.  Refuse stockpiles are where non-dwarf, non-pet corpses go.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2011, 10:02:01 am »

I never, ever, ever create refuse or corpse stockpiles.  I just use (quantum) dumping to get the corpse to somewhere near the butcher's shop, then un-forbid it.  Or if the corpse is very heavy, and will take too long to haul, I build a temporary butcher's shop next to the corpse.
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz