Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: The Ultimate Strategy Gaming Experience  (Read 4086 times)

Majestic7

• Bay Watcher
  • Invokes Yog-Soggoth to bend time
    • View Profile
Re: The Ultimate Strategy Gaming Experience
« Reply #15 on: March 31, 2011, 02:08:22 pm »

Hammer & Sickle aka KGB is the game I warned about. It was the most horrible disappointment I've had since Master of Orion 3. Nightwatch is pretty bad too. Don't get those games expecting Silent Storm.

Mephisto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 31, 2011, 02:28:27 pm »

Hammer & Sickle aka KGB is the game I warned about. It was the most horrible disappointment I've had since Master of Orion 3. Nightwatch is pretty bad too. Don't get those games expecting Silent Storm.

Good to know. I was just going off of what Wikipedia told me.

Dakk

• Bay Watcher
  • BLARAGLGLGL!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 31, 2011, 02:50:07 pm »

I hear dominions 3 is pretty nice for multiplayer, altough I never got a chance to play it with someone. Would really like to if anyone wants to start a quick paced PBEM one.

I wish games like crusader kings would have a multiplayer mode.
Code: [Select]
    ︠     ︡
 ノ          ﺍ
ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)  ┻━┻

Table flipping, singed style.

woose1

• Bay Watcher
  • Yay for bandwagons!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 31, 2011, 02:57:48 pm »

Dominions 3 is around $50. Not sure if I'd be willing to spend that much money on a 2.5D game. :L

Majestic7

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 31, 2011, 03:31:00 pm »

I hear dominions 3 is pretty nice for multiplayer, altough I never got a chance to play it with someone. Would really like to if anyone wants to start a quick paced PBEM one.

I wish games like crusader kings would have a multiplayer mode.

You can find players from the official Dom3 forums. I'm pretty sure there are some Bay12 games going on too, though haven't taken part in any. Maybe it is the time for that soonish, unless I can get a new game against people I actually know. It is much more fun to bash someone you know for real... and more pressure not to ragequit or something.

I'm pretty sure CK2 will have multiplayer.

Dominions 3 is around $50. Not sure if I'd be willing to spend that much money on a 2.5D game. :L

Yeah, Shrapnel are dorks for not putting up discounts, like, ever. I can just say it is worth it - pretty easy to learn but hard to master. Best for you to see yourself though, there is demo available and so forth.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2011, 03:33:50 pm by Majestic7 »

PrimusRibbus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 31, 2011, 03:36:23 pm »

If you find Starcraft-style RTSs as painfully boring as I do, I recommend focusing on the Real-Time Tactics subgenre. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Real-time_tactics

As for specific games with the subgenre, you might like Myth: The Fallen Lords and Myth 2: Soulblighter; they're the only RTS games that keep me coming back year after year.
grammar is for essays and letters and second FREEDOM TO POST except obscene material
THE ONLY THING THAT'S GONNA GRIND IN THIS GAME IS YOUR ASS ON THE PAVEMENT

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 31, 2011, 03:43:52 pm »

Dominions 3 is only worth the money for MP. It's a brilliant game, don't get me wrong. But as a SP game, it doesn't have the staying power to justify that price. Unless you crave ultra long SP games where you just grind away at the AI. Dom 3 single player is like RISK on crack. Not what I'd pay top dollar for.

Dom 3 kind of falls into the indie trap, where they're so in love with their game they charge maximum price and figure people will either pay, or they won't. That's probably why we've not seen Dom evolve any beyond its current form; devs need cashflow to improve their games and make new ones. If an indie studio backs themselves into a corner with a high price they won't budge from....it can take years to get enough capital together to put out a new game.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

SeaBee

• Bay Watcher
  • Wolves are atheists
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 31, 2011, 03:44:55 pm »

I've had a lot of fun with Men of War. I know it's already been mentioned, but it might be worth a look.

I like Dominions 3, but I haven't the time to do anything more than single player (where it is at its weakest).

I'd love a true sequel to SS.

Majestic7

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 31, 2011, 03:51:16 pm »

Dom 3 kind of falls into the indie trap, where they're so in love with their game they charge maximum price and figure people will either pay, or they won't. That's probably why we've not seen Dom evolve any beyond its current form; devs need cashflow to improve their games and make new ones. If an indie studio backs themselves into a corner with a high price they won't budge from....it can take years to get enough capital together to put out a new game.

I doubt Illwinter (includes two guys I think) has any say on the price. Shrapnel Games handles that. Anyway, the Illwinter guys have day jobs and making games is just a hobby for them. They still support Dom3, releasing occasional patches, I think that is great service. I paid 50 for the game and I've got my moneys worth. I just think the player base would be much larger if the game cost, say, 30 dollars instead. That would be good for the community and it would be easier for me to recruit new players from my friends, heh.

Anyway, Illwinter is working on Secret Project right now. All they've said is that it isn't Dominions 4. I'm hoping for space strategy with a new engine featuring loads better UI.

edit - At this rate, maybe we should start a newbie Dom3 multiplayer game here. Since there are so many people who've only played SP.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2011, 03:55:09 pm by Majestic7 »

PrimusRibbus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 31, 2011, 03:58:58 pm »

I doubt Illwinter (includes two guys I think) has any say on the prize. Shrapnel Games handles that. Anyway, the Illwinter guys have day jobs and making games is just a hobby for them. They still support Dom3, releasing occasional patches, I think that is great service. I paid 50 for the game and I've got my moneys worth. I just think the player base would be much larger if the game cost, say, 30 dollars instead.

Anyway, Illwinter is working on Secret Project right now. All they've said is that it isn't Dominions 4. I'm hoping for space strategy with a new engine featuring loads better UI.

Agreed. $50 for Dom3 was totally worth it for me (one of the few games that I've bought full-price within the past 5 years where I can say that), but the price really does lock out all but the most die-hard 4X players. There's plenty of people I've shown the game to over the years that have said, "That looks cool, but I'm not the biggest 4X guy. I'll wait for a price drop" and ended up never buying it.
grammar is for essays and letters and second FREEDOM TO POST except obscene material
THE ONLY THING THAT'S GONNA GRIND IN THIS GAME IS YOUR ASS ON THE PAVEMENT

Mephisto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 31, 2011, 06:17:26 pm »

Would the SWAT series fit this genre adequately? I just recalled some of my old memories of SWAT 2. I was horrible at that game. Then again, I was probably around ten at the time.

SeaBee

• Bay Watcher
  • Wolves are atheists
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 31, 2011, 06:18:41 pm »

Would the SWAT series fit this genre adequately? I just recalled some of my old memories of SWAT 2. I was horrible at that game. Then again, I was probably around ten at the time.
I really need to play the SWAT series. I managed to miss the whole thing, despite hearing lots of praise for the series. Which is the best place to start with SWAT? SWAT 2?

Mephisto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 31, 2011, 06:26:07 pm »

I really need to play the SWAT series. I managed to miss the whole thing, despite hearing lots of praise for the series. Which is the best place to start with SWAT? SWAT 2?

No clue. That was ages ago and the game wasn't mine.

I await the more knowledgeable to chime in.

hemmingjay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 31, 2011, 06:28:00 pm »

SWAT and SWAT 2 were actually Police Quest adventure games(SWAT 2 less so) and SWAT 3 and 4 are both tactical first person shooters. I love all of them for different reasons. 4 was my favorite but is sadly short even with the expansion. SWAT 1 brought back the best elements from the original Police Quest. I would start with 1 or 4.
Only a simple mind can be certain.

xDarkz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 02, 2011, 06:24:39 am »

Mmm! I'm looking into all the games you guys have given me and my god, I am in heaven. I've only bought Silent Storm so far but Jesus flipping Christ, it's amazingly fun.

I love it when I station my heavy machine gunner outside the door, make some noise (Probably shoot to the side of the door), have them open it and commence fire! It's so fun. Thanks Mephisto :].

I'm going to be looking into Men of War next then Dominions 3 if finance permits. All the other games are definitely on my list :].
Also: I have a feeling Men of War will live up to my Company of Heroes expectations. I love the tactics available, physics and realism (albeit the balance issues) in the COH series. I heard the physics in the Men of War series utilizes a new GEM Engine. If statements hold true as to the engine allowing you to punch individual holes in things you shoot, coordinated angled attacks for optimized damage, and emphasis on unit control, I think I will be in love.

Thank you so much guys :] If anymore pop into mind, please don't hesitate!
« Last Edit: April 02, 2011, 06:40:16 am by xDarkz »
Pages: 1 [2] 3