Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 17

Author Topic: Rockfalls the Depths of Volcanoes ~ The story of 20 dwarves in a pressure cooker  (Read 67569 times)

stool

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Dairy Guard.  :D Yes!

Surray

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Give me the moody presser, please. I want to see where this goes :-)

Valrandir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Voxcel

Very well done.

I would like to be the Cook.
Valrandir the Cook.

mcclay

• Bay Watcher
  • Gay, Tired and Just here to Vibe
    • View Profile

I'll be sme random Dwarf. Make him a swordsdorf and have him make a squad.
Am I back? Its a mystery to everyone

Dante

• Bay Watcher
  • Dante likes cats for their corrupt intentions.
    • View Profile

Journal of Stool the Dairy Guard, adventurer of the High Tools, 18 Limestone 202

Well, we've been trapped in here for a week now, and nobody's gone crazy, so I thought I'd tentatively set chisel to rock and say what's going on.

I'm Stool, warrior of cheese and fish. Hi, it's nice to meet you. I got that keen Bowie fellow to sketch me on the proviso that he could later carve a statue from the notes he took. This is me:

I'm standing in front of the western stairs at the entrance of the Place Of Filth. There's patches of cave moss and floor fungus coming along nicely, and you can see a few young nether-caps sprouting up. Most of the fungus is actually growing on fluffy wambler corpses. I don't know who let wamblers into the fortress before we buried it in magma, but there's a bit of an infestation, which the cats have been seeing to. Could be worse, I suppose. Could be bats.

Admiring my dress? I know I am. Snappy clothiery is important. That dress was passed down from my father and my father's father, and the toga, cloak and gloves are of finest silk. And is that a turkeyskin cap on my head? Why yes, thanks for noticing.

But I swear, if that stupid herbalist calls me a fop one more time, it's his teeth on the filthy floor, for all that he's five years younger than me. I shan't deign to speak his bastard name here. I could break the fellow with one hand tied behind my back.

After all, didn't I spend thirty years adventuring in the outer wilds? I took a warhammer along for protection (got to love warhammers) but never needed it. I drove off vultures, lynxes and vicious goats with wit and bravado. Survived by catching wild maggots, milking them and making cheese in my hat. Oh, and fishing, of course.

A novice cheese maker and fisherdwarf, that's me. But I am no mere catcher of fish. I am a smiter of all that is piscine, a relentless blistering whirlwind of fish-bludgeoning activity.

Of course, surrounded by magma on all six sides, those days may be past.

Still, I love a challenge! Even coming to Rockfalls has been an experience. I adventured my way here and when the time comes, I'll adventure my way out again. I just hope I don't go crazy, pent up in a small space for an indeterminate time. Ha ha ha ha ha!

Anyway, in between furniture moving, I've been standing around drinking with my friends Skink-killer and Jitters, two of the dwarves who helped hew out this amazing place.

Skink-killer is our leader Goden's wife. She's quite pretty, with long, light brown hair I'm frankly envious of. She likes large gems, especially clear garnet. She mainly drinks dwarven beer, and does so with incredible finesse. My own preference is for a nice swamp whiskey, but there's no accounting for taste. The miner girl told us the story of how she got her name. Apparently, she likes mountain gnomes for their ability to hold their liquor (no surprises), so she sought out a tribe of them and got in a drinking contest with the entire clan. Her forfeit, when they drunk her under the table, was to eat a live skink. And since then, she's killed lizards on sight.

Skink-killer always knows exactly what's going on around her. Her sense of space helped design this place, along with her legendary mining skill, and capability as an engraver and a mason. She'll also be doing most of the brewing in the fortress (again, no surprises there). She's a bit disorganised, though, which is a worrying trait for somebody with a job as important as maintaining the whiskey supply. Skink-killer can read people, but has lousy intuition and only really seems to open up to Goden, staying guarded around everyone else.

Jitters McHighland is quite a contrast to her. Jitters comes from the bleak northern dwarves, och aye, and has their purple eyes and square chin. She's a miner, siege operator and warrior, and worships one of the north gods - Asen the Mountain of Mining, a female dwarf associated with minerals. She admires the traditions of the northern fanes, and accordingly brings a sheep with her wherever she goes. The ewe's name is apparently Fath Furnaceshaken, a name with a story behind it if I ever heard one. The moors have left her with a love of sheep and water buffaloes, and a taste for swamp whiskey that rivals my own.

Jitters is very weak and incredibly clumsy, which makes her fall down a lot. She always bounces back again, though – it's those northern bones – and as a result, she's indefatigable, tough and rarely sick. Her whole body is like a mass of scarred knuckles. Apparently she killed a buzzard here, completely by accident. Just wasn't looking where she was going. Jitters seems a bit of a pushover, really – she has no willpower and an iffy memory, and doesn't handle stress well, although she has lots of patience, social ability and intuition.

I can't tell if she's actually bad with words, as such, or if her accent is so thick that “Ah cannae stan' corroaches, thae always starchtle me, ye ken” actually means something. It's quite a pleasant rolling burr. Jitters isn't married, but word is that she's seeing Yarf the cook. Pity... Skink-killer tells me the northern lass is pretty keen on the old phallic symbols, sceptres and unicorn horns mainly. Maybe that's just a reflection on old Yarf.

The third dwarf who carved out this place is called Squadron Leader. She's also in charge of the military, and approaches everything with a keen, confident energy. She's married to some herbalist – not the bastard one, the other – and bustles around telling everyone what to do.

Apparently she's planning to put everyone on an exercise regime, so we don't get fat and lazy in these cramped confines. I'm  going to try to excel, and become the warrior I was always meant to be.

For now, though, there's still a lot to be done to set up home. I love tables, personally – who in their right mind wouldn't – and we've been moving all these beautiful bits of furniture upstairs, away from the muck. We're also installing doors so people don't track filth around the fortress. All the rural types, obviously. Personally, I'm going to avoid the lower floor, since my clothes are so fine and there's nowhere to wash them.

Speaking of rural types, I've just gone to check on Surray. She's the friendly, fat old green-eyed biddy who's been running around the past fortnight like a blue-eyed bat with a bee in her bonnet, trying to find exactly the right piece of hide. She found what she needed a while ago, though, and is now sitting in a workshop hammering and sewing things.

Anyway, here's me in the new combination bedroom, dining room, pool and hospital. That last bit I'm not too happy about. I suppose it makes sense to have the sick bay next to the watersource, though. Apparently the precise grooves those engravers have been carving in the walls will channel enough condensation to fill a fifth of a bucket per year. Yeah, about two cups drinking water. Skink-killer better be on the ball with her brewing, or we're in deep muck.

On the right of the picture is Surray working busily away, surrounded by those animals and rolling gardens she loves so much. Surray looks dry as a bone, poor thing. She has the look of a dwarf who's been without a drink for far, far too long. Must be all this manic work she's been doing. I don't have the heart to tell her to slow down, though. She's simply too affable. She likes everyone, and everything.

Except rats.

From what she's said, she also worships Gembish Autumnalrains, goddess of food, agriculture and fertility. And not just Gembish, too, but the goddess Ust. Ust the Cloudy Cacti is a female dwarf representing animals, plants, the rain, storms, lightning and luck. Something for everyone there. I suppose that particular bit of devotion just reflects Surray's love of pretty much everything that can be found on the surface. Cacao, unicorn horns and coral from the tropics in the east, llamas from the south, mead from the north, sun berries from the humans to the west, the moon in the sky, the shadow trolls that haunt the plains... incredible.

An outsider at heart, she's at home with the plants and birds and fruit-squeezing and things. I assume she's going to take over the beekeeping and fowlery around here once she's finished her little project. She's got two stacks of leather from giant toads and the ragged hide of that buzzard Jitters accidentally killed, and she's stitching them every which way.

Whoops, Squadron Leader's marching over with that fierce look in her eyes. Clearly I look like I've been slacking.

billybobfred

• Bay Watcher
  • [PRONOUN: she:her:hers:herself]
    • View Profile

I shall be the jeweler! :D
urist mcgeorg, who lives in boatmurdered and makes over 10,000 bad decisions each day,

Dante

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Excellent, we're filling up fast.

Everyone with a military request, you'll still get dorfed, but the lack of a pressing need for them means there'll be a militia rather than a full-time army.

Valrandir, the 'official' cook was already claimed, but your dwarf is a cook. And engraver. And butcher, tanner, brewer, thresher... the list goes on for several pages.

Dariush

• Bay Watcher
  • I don't think I !!am!!, therefore I !!am!! not
    • View Profile

By the way, you do know the grass doesn't regrow unless exposed to the open sky?
« Last Edit: April 04, 2011, 02:08:51 am by Dariush »

Dante

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

The fort only has one grazing animal, and the lower area has underground grass growing on flooded rock, so there's no problem.

Interestingly, though, tiles on the central soil level are marked as 'light' and 'above ground' but 'inside'. They let me do aboveground farming on them, so that's suggestive that grass will regrow there. Especially considering the whole map started off as a desert, and grass only started growing anywhere after I cut into the first soil layer.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile

I am SO in. :P

I'm really liking this fort, your writing style is great, as is the whole premise. Keep it up, let's see how long this lasts! :D
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Forumite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I´m in! I want a weird recluse of a dwarf that will grumble at the others who don´t understand what an important dorf he is.

I want the Tresher. Put him on plant processing and milling, food hauling, butchery and tanning, no cleaning. If there is any other skill independant jobs in farming then he can take them too. I´d like him to have a table for himself at the side of the dining room, so i know where he goes to eat.
"The ability to quote is a serviceable substitute for wit." - W. Somerset Maugham

stool

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

above ground tiles to farm on?
i guess you don't have some muck root seeds left over for some whiskey brewin'?

anyway, stunning artwork, great read.
proceed :)

kisame12794

• Bay Watcher
  • !!Arc Welder!!
    • View Profile

can i have a blacksmith?
The non-assholes vastly outnumber the assholes but the assholes can fart with greater volume.
((You're an arm and a torso in low orbit. This was the best possible resolution of things.))

Will_Tuna

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

dorf 1 baby/child as Tuna :)
True story: In the year 2007: Surinder Singh Bajwa, the Deputy Mayor of Delhi, India, was warding off several Rhesus Macaque monkeys at his home and fell from a first-floor balcony, suffering serious head injuries. He later died from his injuries.

Karakzon

• Bay Watcher
  • [ethics:give a shit?: denied]
    • View Profile

Karakzon, butcher, tanner, leather worker.

favouret curse is Babe beards, meaning someone who isent old enought to have earnt their beard yet.

also works as a Bard when not cutting up animals. someones got to make up stuff to keep you all entertained.
I am Dyslexic. No its not going to change any time soon.
Bolts of Exsanguination THE terrifying glacier export, get yours today!
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 17