Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Atom smasher removal. (warning, very small suggestion)  (Read 4323 times)

Angel Of Death

• Bay Watcher
  • Karl Groucho?
    • View Profile
Atom smasher removal. (warning, very small suggestion)
« on: April 03, 2011, 05:58:37 am »

I think atom smashers shouldn't just make things disapear. For example, if you crush a goblin under a drawbridge when you raise the drawbridge you will find the goblin in multiple pieces alongside his stuff. 
99 percent of internet users add useless, pulled out of arse statistics to their sig. If you are the 1%, please, for the love of Armok, don't put any useless shit like this in your sig.
Hidden signature messages are fun!

Jeoshua

• Bay Watcher
  • God help me, I think I may be addicted to modding.
    • View Profile
Re: Atom smasher removal. (warning, very small suggestion)
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2011, 07:06:31 am »

NO!!! This is a feature, not a bug.  Maybe with some kind of on-off switch but honestly, many people use atom smashers for FPS control and trash detail.  Without it some people would find it harder to play the game.

If they are taken out, something needs to replace their destruction of unwanted items.
I like fortresses because they are still underground.

Angel Of Death

• Bay Watcher
  • Karl Groucho?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2011, 07:10:59 am »

NO!!! This is a feature, not a bug.  Maybe with some kind of on-off switch but honestly, many people use atom smashers for FPS control and trash detail.  Without it some people would find it harder to play the game.

If they are taken out, something needs to replace their destruction of unwanted items.
Magma. Or a "Destruction Furnace" that takes 3x fuel and destroys 2 items of choice.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2011, 07:13:56 am by Angel Of Death »
99 percent of internet users add useless, pulled out of arse statistics to their sig. If you are the 1%, please, for the love of Armok, don't put any useless shit like this in your sig.

Sfon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2011, 09:35:48 am »

Magma
Doesn't work on everything.

Destruction Furnace
If they are doing this for FPS reasons, then they likely have thousands of objects to destroy. Fuel supply can already be a problem. Even 1 fuel to destroy 10 items could require hundreds or even thousands of fuel.

And I'd like to mention: Traders
Only available periodically, and for some forts never. Also has a limited carrying capacity, which is especially limiting if it is rock you need to get rid of.

IT 000

• Bay Watcher
  • Strange Mood
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2011, 10:07:40 am »

I do agree, the atom-smasher needs to be fixed. However, as stated above, there needs to be some sort of equivalent for all the useless items we get, the furnace idea sounds like it would work, but it would take any item. Including the artifact mace that your weaponsmith just made. Plus it costs something to use, three fuel! I can make three swords for that much, and it doesn't seem that realistic.

There should be an atom-smasher, but perhaps a one tile wide one that wouldn't hurt creatures, and like a floodgate wait for humans to be out of the way before it closes/opens.

***CORROSION v2.14***
<<<More Than Just Zombies>>>
Back from the Dead!

Jeoshua

• Bay Watcher
  • God help me, I think I may be addicted to modding.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2011, 10:50:15 am »

Possibly this:

Have some kind of  "Junkyard" workshop.  Anything flamable would be destroyed with fire, no fuel needed (it's flammable, it is its own fuel).  Anything hard would be destroyed with hammers (requires: hammer). And anything destructable could be broken down into it's component parts (thereby burnable and/or destroyable).

Am I missing anything else here? Meltable objects could already be melted down into some small amount of metal.
I like fortresses because they are still underground.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2011, 11:00:26 am »

How about this:  "Dump" items off-map.

Out of sight, out of mind/memory.  Just take all your fortress's trash, and dump it off the side of the hill on the edge of the map. 

Realistically, this is exactly what landfills are - just places somewhere you don't care about where you dump all the crap you don't want anymore.
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Angel Of Death

• Bay Watcher
  • Karl Groucho?
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2011, 11:01:54 am »

Out of sight, out of mind/memory.  Just take all your fortress's trash, and dump it off the side of the hill on the edge of the map. 

Realistically, this is exactly what landfills are - just places somewhere you don't care about where you dump all the crap you don't want anymore.
Hmmm... I don't really like the sound of it for realisms sake, but hey! This is DWARF FORTREEEESSS!

Sfon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2011, 11:17:35 am »

Workshop: Grinder

Can be powered by either dwarf or other mechanical power, same way a screw pump can. If non-dwarf powered, dwarfs can just put stuff inside and it'll process it without needing a dwarf there. Maybe can be used to destroy caged creatures, too?

Selecting items for it would either be done the way dumping/melting is, or the way connecting a lever to something is. The latter would be much less convenient for the player, but might be easier for Toady to implement.

Off-site location: Landfill
Whenever off-site holdings are implemented, one of the types could be a landfill. It would only hold so many items for when it might be visited in adventure mode or whatever. More than that and previous items would be deleted, assumed taken by scavengers or whatever. Item limit should be low, since FPS is part of the reason to do this.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2011, 11:27:19 am »

Off-site location: Landfill
Whenever off-site holdings are implemented, one of the types could be a landfill. It would only hold so many items for when it might be visited in adventure mode or whatever. More than that and previous items would be deleted, assumed taken by scavengers or whatever. Item limit should be low, since FPS is part of the reason to do this.

If it's for a fortress, then keep in mind that anything that isn't on the map doesn't take up any FPS at all, except for possibly during the season change. 

(A giant pile of trash may certainly slow down the Adventurer who finds it, of course.) 

I don't see a big need to actually record the pile of 4,000 shale stones that someone wanted to get rid of, but you could do that without hurting FPS as long as it was off-map.  (It would just make the save files larger.)
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Demicus

• Bay Watcher
  • The formless enigma
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2011, 06:20:58 pm »

One way to get rid of trash before off-site holding is implemented is to implement a trash 'portal.' Would work similar to the current atom smasher. Build the portal, dump all the unwanted stuff on it and throw the switch. All the items then get transported to an alternate plane of existance that isn't constantly checked for all the various things that stuff in the fortress is checked for. At each season change, the game would do a quick check and eliminate stuff that's below a certain value or has been there too long.

So why implement this list of things you want to get rid of instead of just wiping it from existance when you throw the switch? Well for it allows for some balancing. The main point of the portal is to get rid of unwanted trash, not a weapon against the goblin hordes or whatever you happen to be facing. Also allows for a bit of !!fun!!. Accidentally, or 'accidentally,' throw something alive into the trash plane? Well then after a season or too, an abomination similar to a FB composed of some of the trash you had thrown away and the poor living thing that sparked this monstrosity bursts out of the gate and starts reeking havoc.

Just a random idea I came up with. Probably isn't that good of an idea, but it could be a source of !!fun!!
All shall embrace the unquenchable flame
Dwarf Fortress: The weak shall be culled, so the strong can have nicer socks.

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
  • Discordia Vobis Com Et Cum Spiritum
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2011, 06:38:14 pm »

Why not just give everything that you want to get rid of, and which has a positive value, to the traders.
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
  • Discordia Vobis Com Et Cum Spiritum
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 03, 2011, 06:40:12 pm »

One way to get rid of trash before off-site holding is implemented is to implement a trash 'portal.' Would work similar to the current atom smasher. Build the portal, dump all the unwanted stuff on it and throw the switch. All the items then get transported to an alternate plane of existance that isn't constantly checked for all the various things that stuff in the fortress is checked for. At each season change, the game would do a quick check and eliminate stuff that's below a certain value or has been there too long.

So why implement this list of things you want to get rid of instead of just wiping it from existance when you throw the switch? Well for it allows for some balancing. The main point of the portal is to get rid of unwanted trash, not a weapon against the goblin hordes or whatever you happen to be facing. Also allows for a bit of !!fun!!. Accidentally, or 'accidentally,' throw something alive into the trash plane? Well then after a season or too, an abomination similar to a FB composed of some of the trash you had thrown away and the poor living thing that sparked this monstrosity bursts out of the gate and starts reeking havoc.

Just a random idea I came up with. Probably isn't that good of an idea, but it could be a source of !!fun!!

That is a phenomenally good idea!!!!!!
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

IT 000

• Bay Watcher
  • Strange Mood
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 03, 2011, 06:41:17 pm »

Sounds a bit to magical for my tastes, I'm worried about my Corrosion mod and several other mods which take nitty gritty aspects of life.

I support this idea, but I have a few questions,

1 Would you be able to retrieve said items if you were to 'go off map'. Perhaps in the stocks it would have a 'Landfill' section containing everything you threw over there, unforbid something and a dwarf brings it back.
2 would you be able to do this in caverns to?

Why not just give everything that you want to get rid of, and which has a positive value, to the traders.

They come once a season, and takes more clicks then mass dumping, additionally caravans can only take so much.

***CORROSION v2.14***
<<<More Than Just Zombies>>>
Back from the Dead!

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 03, 2011, 09:46:46 pm »

I support this idea, but I have a few questions,

1 Would you be able to retrieve said items if you were to 'go off map'. Perhaps in the stocks it would have a 'Landfill' section containing everything you threw over there, unforbid something and a dwarf brings it back.
2 would you be able to do this in caverns to?

You could theoretically have the off-map record of what has been dumped.  When we get the "march units off-map" function of Army Arc, we might be able to see our landfill on the map, and send people out to retrieve something...

But again, if this is the equivalent of atom-smashing something, it's probably something a player wants gone forever, so I wouldn't think it a big deal if you couldn't get things back.  You don't atom-smash the extra chairs you made if you left the mason on repeat for too long, you only atom-smash the stuff you know you will never need, have more than you will ever use, can replace at any time, and just want gone for good. 

There's no reason to want to go back to the dump to pick up your 3,000 mudstone stones and 800 pig tail socks the goblins brought in that you can't even wear, anyway.

Garbage dumps in the caverns sounds... dangerous.  I wouldn't want to send a convoy of peasant haulers into the caverns just to get rid of some junk.  I'd rather take a relatively safe (provided it's not an evil biome) path overland.  That said, provided the FBs aren't skulking about, it's possible...
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare
Pages: [1] 2 3