Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Company of Heroes: Tales of Valor VS Men of War: Assault Squad  (Read 5418 times)

xDarkz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

On my quest in search of a strategic online game without spamming units and colliding them with other walls of units, I've came across Company of Heroes: Tales of Valor and Men of War: Assault Squad. Both are outstanding games, each with it's own positives and negatives.

What I'm really looking for in this game is the multiplayer and replayability. While campaign can be good, it's not my cup of tea. I'm looking for someone that can deliver a new experience every time I play it.

I'm not sure whether you guys have these games or not but I hope you can answer my question. CoH:ToV is a little old, released in 2009 I believe. It is the newest still running CoH title after the closure of the Online beta. I'm just wondering: Are there still a large player-base still around?

Same question applies for MoW: AS. They're not from an American developing company but I went ahead and checked their official forums. Along with a poorly formatted layout, there are relatively little people visiting the forums and posting. For those who have the game or personal experience, does this game or games like this, have a suitably moderate to large player base?

I'm trying to decide to get one or the other -- due to lack of funds right now but I will definitely get both of them when I can. Just a matter of time.

Thank you.

Rilder

• Bay Watcher
  • Rye Elder
    • View Profile
Re: Company of Heroes: Tales of Valor VS Men of War: Assault Squad
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2011, 10:00:06 pm »

From my experiences, Company of heroes is closer to the traditional RTS, two bases build units and send them against each other, its good fun but can get old after awhile.

Men of War has two sides with set units (though I think some maps let you spawn more units) and they go to war with each other till one is vanquished.

I've only played the original MoW so I can't judge beyond it, though personally I couldn't get a whole lot out of it even with the Dynamic Campaign generator. (And I don't play the single player campaign because linearity)
« Last Edit: April 03, 2011, 10:04:30 pm by Rilder »
Steam Profile
Youtube(Let's Plays), Occasional Streaming
It felt a bit like a movie in which two stoners try to steal a military helicopter

inteuniso

• Bay Watcher
  • Functionalized carbon is the source.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2011, 10:03:29 pm »

MoW Assault Squad is a whole lot better than CoH. CoH has better production values(nicer graphical engine) but MoW Assault Squad has better physics, better unit variety, and actual tactics required and rewarded (an infantry squad can easily take down a lone heavy tank if the tank has no infantry support.)
Lol scratch that I'm building a marijuana factory.

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2011, 10:20:42 pm »

Company of Heroes's multiplayer is a terrible experience. In fact, people only play about three maps total and use the same goddamn cheese strategies every single time.

Men of War has a decent (if un-understandable) multiplayer community. Also freaking hard. Like, really, really, really, really, really, really, really (x10,000,000) hard.

xDarkz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2011, 10:46:55 pm »

Yeah, I've noticed that while playing the Online beta of COHO. There are some pretty heavy balance issues but it's interface is overall better than Men of War. I noticed in COHO however that matchmaking was horrible. It took me ten minutes one time to connect to a game.

Hence, I'm looking for either one of the two with the more accumulated player-base. I wouldn't be buying MoW:AS or CoD:ToV I had to play with the same opponents over and over again. I want variety in my battles and others I can contest with.

As for what you said, Umiman. I had noticed that too in COHO but I had hoped it wasn't the case in COH. If that really is the case, I'm going to be leaning toward MoW: AS but hold off until I get an approximate statement of whether the games multiplayer community to plentiful :].

inteuniso

• Bay Watcher
  • Functionalized carbon is the source.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2011, 10:59:28 pm »

Oh, it's plentiful. you can always find a game, and be in a match within 5 minutes.
Lol scratch that I'm building a marijuana factory.

Kiwi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2011, 12:07:45 am »

If you like realism then go for MoW, CoH had health bars on tanks. That bothered me.
The Dread Pirate

Antioch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2011, 04:35:28 am »

Company of Heroes's multiplayer is a terrible experience. In fact, people only play about three maps total and use the same goddamn cheese strategies every single time.

1vs1 automatch..........problem solved!

You finish ripping the human corpse of Sigmund into pieces.
This raw flesh tastes delicious!