Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Bee stings causing resting?  (Read 1861 times)

Pan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Bee stings causing resting?
« on: April 03, 2011, 09:55:51 pm »

Many dwarves are doing that. They just plop down and 'Rest' in the hospital. I recalled that they have been stung by honeybees. But they have no wounds, and... some weird shit is happening. I see my surgeon giving a completely unwounded dwarf surgery and the bone docter casting dwarf's (also no injury).

Any way to work around this?

krenshala

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Bee stings causing resting?
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2011, 10:21:35 pm »

Dwarves will rest in any "available" bed.  Hospital beds without patients in them are considered available by dwarves that are too tired (or lazy) to make it to their own room.  I've seen them use dorms the same way, even if they have their own bedroom assigned.
Quote from: Haspen
Quote from: phoenixuk
Zepave Dawnhogs the Butterfly of Vales the Marsh Titan ... was taken out by a single novice axedwarf and his pet war kitten. Long Live Domas Etasastesh Adilloram, slayer of the snow butterfly!
Doesn't quite have the ring of heroics to it...
Mother: "...and after the evil snow butterfly was defeated, Domas and his kitten lived happily ever after!"
Kids: "Yaaaay!"

Pan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2011, 10:27:25 pm »

Dwarves will rest in any "available" bed.  Hospital beds without patients in them are considered available by dwarves that are too tired (or lazy) to make it to their own room.  I've seen them use dorms the same way, even if they have their own bedroom assigned.

No, their not 'Sleep'ing in there. Their 'Rest'ing, like there is some injury - except there isn't.  >:(

Ubiq

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2011, 10:42:00 pm »

Have you had any encounters with a creature such as a Forgotten Beast or Titan lately?

It's possible that it's a relatively mild syndrome.

Pan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2011, 10:58:21 pm »

Nope. Agh, never mind. Production is grinding to a halt feeding all those loafers in the hospitals. I guess I'll be setting a restricted zone over my honey bee hives from now on.

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2011, 11:07:06 pm »

Haven't had this happen. They just punch the offending bee to death, so I end up with a pile of bee corpses rotting in the refuse pile.

Have you modded bees at all? Are your bees dragon sized?  :o

What injuries do the dwarves have?

Pan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2011, 11:09:01 pm »

No injuries at all. No nothing. Bees are unmodded. There has been no cave-ins, goblins or anything that remotely hurt those resting dwarves other than the bees.

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2011, 11:09:46 pm »

What is on the healthcare screen for the dwarves? What are they scheduled for?

CinnibarMan

• Bay Watcher
  • [FANCIFUL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2011, 11:17:20 pm »

I think it is because bee stings produce a very mild syndrome that wears off very quickly.

Basically your dwarfs are trying to lowball you.
Burning and raping the land is recreational. Where business is concerned, though, sustainability is the name of the game.

Pan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2011, 11:18:37 pm »

What is on the healthcare screen for the dwarves? What are they scheduled for?

Nothing at all. No diagnosis. The history says they were brought to bed. That is all.  :(

Basically your dwarfs are trying to lowball you.

Aren't they always...  :'(

JelloSnark

• Bay Watcher
  • Ever play Half-Life?
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2011, 11:22:18 pm »

Well, if you need to get them off the beds, you could try deconstructing the bed that they are on. That may snap them out of it, but I'm not sure.
Beware... while my screen-name has 'Snark' in it, I am actually Snarky.
Hehe
'Nom Nom Nom'
God of god of god.

Valkyrie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2011, 11:26:04 pm »

I've had ample bee stings (usually have a meeting hall above ground, overlapping with part of my bee farm), and never seen a single medical problem from it.   That leaves me doubtful it's the bees.

For generic mystery resting, I'd check the health screens as suggested above - but be sure to check all three.
1) v-w: Wounds, for most obvious / minor injuries
2) z-Health: for pending diagnoses, along with some syndromes or their consequences
3) v-z-Enter: for issues such as rotting, which sometimes don't show up in wounds or health screens, depending on what is rotting

Pan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 03, 2011, 11:30:19 pm »

Well, if you need to get them off the beds, you could try deconstructing the bed that they are on. That may snap them out of it, but I'm not sure.

I did. They just went to another bed. Even my Chief Medical Dwarf is loafing around...

wedgebert

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 04, 2011, 12:19:05 am »

Do you have the latest version (0.3.25)?  I had this same problem as well until one of the latest bug fixes, 0.3.23 judging from the change log.  Mine would rest, deconstructing the bed would send them away for a few minutes only to have them return and get back in bed.

One way to get around it is to get block off all the available hospital beds (I have each bed in a seperate "room" and lock the doors).  If anyone is current "resting", deconstruct the bed.  Once you have your lazy bums resting on the ground, build an upright spear trap under them, link it to a lever and activate until they have an actual wound.  Once the doctor has something he can actually diagnose and treat, they'll stop hanging around.

I had to use a copper spear though, the wooden training spear kept getting deflected by the patients clothing.  Luckily the copper spear provided some nice training for my doctor...