Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Polygamous Dwarves?  (Read 5918 times)

FearfulJesuit

• Bay Watcher
  • True neoliberalism has never been tried
    • View Profile
Polygamous Dwarves?
« on: April 04, 2011, 09:21:50 pm »

Is it possible to have a dwarf have more than one spouse? Say, for example, there was a female 1 caste, and a female 2 caste, both breeders, would male dwarves take both of them as wives?

@Footjob, you can microwave most grains I've tried pretty easily through the microwave, even if they aren't packaged for it.

IT 000

• Bay Watcher
  • Strange Mood
    • View Profile
Re: Polygamous Dwarves?
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2011, 09:41:09 pm »

No, not possible.

***CORROSION v2.14***
<<<More Than Just Zombies>>>
Back from the Dead!

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
  • Discordia Vobis Com Et Cum Spiritum
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2011, 10:04:59 pm »

But hopefully will be eventually. Its been suggested more than once.
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

Krelos

• Bay Watcher
  • Was nauseated by the sun recently.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2011, 11:22:11 pm »

It would make a nice addition to the entity files.

[POLYGAMY:ACCEPTABLE]
Quote from: Ravenplucker
Quote from: Aklyon
Quote from: smokingwreckage
In order to improve the universe's frame rate, we must all throw rocks into volcanoes and then do absolutely nothing, worldwide, for a week, to take pressure off pathfinding.
or maybe throw them into the large hadron collider to atom-smash them instead.
Not to mention to throw all available animals into tiny pits.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2011, 11:37:26 pm »

Hopefully more than that...

You need to have different cases - for example, "ETHIC:REPRODUCTION_OUTSIDE_OF_MARRIAGE" or "ETHIC:REMARRY_AFTER_DEATH_OF_SPOUSE" or
"ETHIC:SAME_SEX_RELATIONS" or
"ETHIC:INTER_SPECIES_MARRIAGE"

Also, what does "polygamy" mean?  Does it mean Polygyny (multiple wives to one husband), Polyandry (multiple husbands to one wife), or does it go both ways, with 12 different men and 16 women being group-married in some kind of crazy commune setup?  ("Oh, welcome back, honey.  By the way, Urist just got us group married to the new neighbors, who are also married to six more people, so why don't you go greet them.")
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Fayrik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2011, 11:57:41 pm »

You need to have different cases - for example, "ETHIC:REPRODUCTION_OUTSIDE_OF_MARRIAGE" or "ETHIC:REMARRY_AFTER_DEATH_OF_SPOUSE" or

Also, what does "polygamy" mean?  Does it mean Polygyny (multiple wives to one husband), Polyandry (multiple husbands to one wife), or does it go both ways, with 12 different men and 16 women being group-married in some kind of crazy commune setup?  ("Oh, welcome back, honey.  By the way, Urist just got us group married to the new neighbors, who are also married to six more people, so why don't you go greet them.")
Knowing the way the game treats Gender already, I like to think that it could just be handled as "Does this race marry/mate for life?" It makes it easier when trying to work out Polygyny or Polyandry.
So THIS is how migrations start.
"Hey, dude, there's this crazy bastard digging in the ground for stuff. Let's go watch."

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2011, 12:00:30 am »

Something for intercaste marriage would be good, but the creature raws would have to be set up to allow certain castes to be classed together (since a caste can't be both male and female). That way you could have only certain castes marrying each other, with those castes only producing more of their caste class. You could have either a strictly stratified society, or allow one caste two different classes to allow for some mobility.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

Kipi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2011, 04:49:38 am »

Something for intercaste marriage would be good, but the creature raws would have to be set up to allow certain castes to be classed together (since a caste can't be both male and female). That way you could have only certain castes marrying each other, with those castes only producing more of their caste class. You could have either a strictly stratified society, or allow one caste two different classes to allow for some mobility.

Heh, that's something I would like to have as well. Of course there should be possibility of setting probability of different castes marrying others, like Caste A prefers to marry someone from Caste B, but have slight chance of marrying someone in Caste C as well.

Also, in the current system the offspring can be from any caste, the game doesn't take in account the castes of parents. For example, in my Advanced mod, dwarf from Warrior caste can marry someone in Holy caste, and the child can from Noble caste.

Also, why I just begun thinking of inbred nobles?  ;D
Room Values - !!SCIENCE!!

Quote from: zanchito
You know, they could teach maths like this at school. "There are 105 dwarves in a settlement. A goblin invasion appears and 67 die. Then a migrant wave..."

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2011, 09:04:02 am »

inbred dwarves = nobles

inbred nobles = elves

inbred elves = zombie unicorns?

Jordrake

• Bay Watcher
  • Swabbie-Poet of the Good Ship Urist
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2011, 10:12:30 am »

Polygamy, as I understand it, simply refers to relationships composed of more than two people, regardless of gender.
And I would love some sex/gender ethics.

devek

• Bay Watcher
  • [KILL_EVERYTHING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2011, 10:13:20 am »

Maybe someone needs to start a hot lesbian dwarf sponsorship drive?
"Why do people rebuild things that they know are going to be destroyed? Why do people cling to life when they know they can't live forever?"

FearfulJesuit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 05, 2011, 10:37:11 am »

[ETHIC:YAOI_FANDOM:UNTHINKABLE]

@Footjob, you can microwave most grains I've tried pretty easily through the microwave, even if they aren't packaged for it.

devek

• Bay Watcher
  • [KILL_EVERYTHING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 05, 2011, 10:38:39 am »

Don't hate, we all played around with it when we were younger.

Right guys?

Guys?

Hey, where did everyone go?  :'(
"Why do people rebuild things that they know are going to be destroyed? Why do people cling to life when they know they can't live forever?"

FearfulJesuit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 05, 2011, 10:55:53 am »

And I would love some sex/gender ethics.

[ENTITY: WBC_DWARVES]

[ETHIC: SAME_SEX_MARRIAGE:UNTHINKABLE]

Jeoshua

• Bay Watcher
  • God help me, I think I may be addicted to modding.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 05, 2011, 10:58:21 am »

You know, before we ever have sex/gender ethics... we need something more than just marriage and spores.  Why have an ethic about homosexuality when dwarves aren't even sexual in the first place? Hell, we had to mod them to have boobs!
I like fortresses because they are still underground.
Pages: [1] 2 3