Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Polygamous Dwarves?  (Read 5931 times)

EmperorJon

• Bay Watcher
  • Still waiting...
    • View Profile
Re: Polygamous Dwarves?
« Reply #15 on: April 05, 2011, 11:08:39 am »

Not everyone plays with a version of DF with genitals. ¬¬
I think it's the way towns develop now. In the beginning, people move into a town. Then they start producing tables, which results in more and more tables. Soon tables represent a significant portion of the population, they start lobbying for new laws and regulations, putting people to greater and greater disadvantage...
Link for full quote. 'tis mighty funny.

Jeoshua

• Bay Watcher
  • God help me, I think I may be addicted to modding.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 05, 2011, 11:10:59 am »

You can't deny the strategic fun of kneeing someone in the groin, tho.  I mod it in even when I'm not playing with Genesis.
I like fortresses because they are still underground.

Minnakht

• Bay Watcher
  • Green Eyed Monster
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 05, 2011, 11:33:12 am »

The Giant Cave Spider bites Urist McUnarmored in the todger and the severed part sails off in an arc!

Urist McUnarmored has suffocated.

...there's a problem, too. Will the breastplates keep being unisex if you add certain assets?
Giant badgers are cruel saddistic balls of fur and hate. Did anyone know they could paint a wall with a single dwarven baby?.... You know what, I made the Giant badgers sound like sane DF players.
A Kea has stolen a coke!

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 05, 2011, 12:07:37 pm »

Polygamy, as I understand it, simply refers to relationships composed of more than two people, regardless of gender.
And I would love some sex/gender ethics.

Yes, but polygamy can go either or both ways.

If one male can marry several females, it's fairly simple.

If one female can marry several males, it's a little difficult to determine who gets to be the (biological) father, but other than that, it's still fairly simple.

If females and males can both marry multiple times, it gets complicated. 

What if one man marries four women, each of which are married to three other men, each of which are married to three other women (or maybe a few of the same women married to the first guy), who are each married to three other men, and eventually, you wind up with the entire fortress married to everyone else in the fortress by three or four degrees of separation?
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Nidokoenig

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 05, 2011, 01:01:19 pm »

Good god, imagine the tantrum spirals.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 05, 2011, 01:07:35 pm »

...there's a problem, too. Will the breastplates keep being unisex if you add certain assets?
Breastplates with breast bumps are a terrible idea, as the cleavage slope would deflect blows right into the sternum.
Breastplates closely fitted enough that the presence of breasts is a problem are also a terrible idea, as plate sized for Urist McToothpick wouldn't be so good for Urist DukeNukem.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 05, 2011, 01:41:10 pm »

If you look at breastplates, they tend to look sort of like the bows of ships - the center has a pointy part thrust outward, while the rest slopes backward from that point.  This is so that attacks to the front are forced to be glanced aside, dissipating much of their force.  This creates plenty of extra "chest room" for the wearer.

Also, keep in mind that most women are not as well-endowed as fantasy novel covers would have you believe.  Women typically can fit into shirts made for men.
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

devek

• Bay Watcher
  • [KILL_EVERYTHING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 05, 2011, 01:56:51 pm »

Also, keep in mind that most women are not as well-endowed as fantasy novel covers would have you believe.  Women typically can fit into shirts made for men.

Next thing you're going to tell me is that not all lesbian couples are as hot and attractive as television has lead me to believe?
"Why do people rebuild things that they know are going to be destroyed? Why do people cling to life when they know they can't live forever?"

Jeoshua

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 05, 2011, 02:30:52 pm »

Next thing you're going to tell me is that not all lesbian couples are as hot and attractive as television has lead me to believe?

*says nothing... just looks at devek with a straight face*

Jake

• Bay Watcher
  • Remember Boatmurdered!
    • View Profile
    • My Web Fiction
« Reply #24 on: April 06, 2011, 04:40:13 pm »

What if one man marries four women, each of which are married to three other men, each of which are married to three other women (or maybe a few of the same women married to the first guy), who are each married to three other men, and eventually, you wind up with the entire fortress married to everyone else in the fortress by three or four degrees of separation?
Am I the only person who read that and thought "fucking awesome!"?
Never used Dwarf Therapist, mods or tilesets in all the years I've been playing.
I think Toady's confusing interface better simulates the experience of a bunch of disorganised drunken dwarves running a fort.

Black Powder Firearms - Superior firepower, realistic manufacturing and rocket launchers!

Jeoshua

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 06, 2011, 04:45:37 pm »

Dwarves probably wouldn't be polygamous.  Elves, on the other hand... I can picture them...

Well let's not discuss what I see in my minds eye.  But Elves way moreso than short drunk people... reminds me too much of Math Club parties if you know what I mean.

Eldrick Tobin

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC: MODDING_UNDWARFY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 06, 2011, 05:01:13 pm »

Am I the only person who read that and thought "fucking awesome!"?

This can be simulated by adding "[PET]" and "[ADOPTS_OWNER]" to a civ race. (You also get popular Den Mothers who half the children adopt one or the other.) And of course marriages occur semi-normally as well. IF the relationship menu popped up I could relate the details.

But yes... it was awe inspiring. And if it were handled better (Friends try to not let friends use "[PET] [ADOPTS_OWNER]" on a civ race... they might suggest against undirected dust too... are they friends?) the relationship screen might look like you're in the Arena: "Husband 1, Husband 2, Wife 1, Wife 2, Wife 3, Child With Wife 3, Child with Wife 3, Child with Wife 2, Child Adopted with Husband 1 after Husband 1's Wife 4 was overcome by Groundhogs and slain" Getting carried away again... Oh Forgot! "Child out of Wedlock with Outpost Liason, Child out of Wedlock with Outpost Liason, Child out of Wedlock with Outpost Liason, Child out of Wedlock with Outpost Liason"

You'd need a tool (in/take data from) Legends mode to map the relationships...
--
Eldrick Tobin
Behold the unimpressive Aspectus Lolin mod. || My Little Arachnid Fortress attempt...
I mumble to myself on tumblr... Sometimes about DF Modding.

Jeoshua

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 06, 2011, 06:14:33 pm »

This can be simulated by adding "[PET]" and "[ADOPTS_OWNER]" to a civ race. (You also get popular Den Mothers who half the children adopt one or the other.) And of course marriages occur semi-normally as well. IF the relationship menu popped up I could relate the details.

Please do go on.  Does the pet tag get in the way at all for work and such? And do the "pets" still function normally as part of a society, or do the kids just follow around their adoptee?

Because if this doesn't get in the way of anything, you could add [PET] to simulate the fact that some parents adopt instead of having kids (important in my personal df mod collection since I have modded in sterile women.  They are [FEMALE] but have [LITTERSIZE:0:0] so they can't bear children... doesn't mean they don't want them tho).

As long as you don't also add [COMMON_DOMESTIC], other civs won't take them up as pets... god forbid you add [MOUNT] (Goblin-riding Dwarves? INCONCIEVABLE!)

Nidokoenig

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 06, 2011, 06:22:24 pm »

I'm wondering if this might be a way to get civilised and milkable creatures. Someone should try that. Not me, I dread to think what I'd do with that knowledge.

Radiant_Phoenix

• Bay Watcher
  • [CREATURE_CLASS:MODDER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 06, 2011, 07:21:23 pm »

Doesn't Milkable Civ members just require the caste to be milked to not have [CAN_LEARN]?
Pages: 1 [2] 3