Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Unibot or Bayar for Captain of the Guard?

Unibot the Righteous!
Bayar the Gatekeeper!

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 48

Author Topic: The Hill of Deceivers .25 - A Community Fort of Treachery and Treason  (Read 74439 times)

plisskin

• Bay Watcher
  • That's "Plissken"
    • View Profile

Well, I just closed up my old community fort in an unfortunate fit of frustration and boredom and I want to do something without any involved pretense: no megaprojects difficult to complete, something fast and in the spirit of playing the game to lose. And I want it to be Fun.

So, it's time to . . .

BETRAY EACH OTHER

This is a community fort in the vein of The Web of Pages and The Web of Pages 2.0 which means YOU control your dorfed dorf. It's a lot like an MMO, but in DF and with no grinding easier grinding.

ENTRY LOG

HOW TO PLAY:

1) Everyone involved is dorfed. Give me a name, a profession, your desired skills and a little personal info so I can write your dialogue and character. Specify gender here.

2) Every season, the forumites who are dorfed tell me exactly what they want their dorf to do. That means that if you tell me to make him do one thing, s/he's only going to do that thing and that thing only. So make up fun stuff to do and I'll accommodate. If you give me vague instructions then I may end up having to take liberties with them. If you give me specific instructions I'm not going to break them. I may need to ask for advice on how to carry out a particular task. Be detailed if you can and if you have a good idea of how to carry out your specified tasks do tell me. I'm no master of micromanagement and could use the help.

ADDENDUM: Always, never, and if/then statements can be very useful here. "Always be on barracks duty. Never leave the fort. If the booze gets lower than 100, brew up X number of units. If X device breaks, fix it ASAP."

3) All dwarves who are not dorfed are "Urists." They have all labours enabled and will do the bare minimum to keep the fort running. If we run low on booze, the Urists will fix it. If there's a disaster of some sort and we need emergency aid, the Urists will do their best. Some Urists will do nothing but make rock blocks. Others will stand around doing nothing. It's like an MMO world: the AI just does what it needs to in order for things to run smoothly.

4) Forumites can request Apprenice Urists (AUs) to help them with tasks. Any number of Urists can be requested for general tasks such as construction or mining, but as your dorf's skills rise you're allowed to grab dedicated apprentices who will do your bidding as requested. They will receive names and titles as you request. Any skill can apply for this except for social skills and non-applied skills such as swimming. Military dorfs get recruits in their squad instead of apprentices.

Check the spoiler for how many apprentices will be given depending on skill level. The maximum number a player can have at a time is five due to population constraints and keeping everything organized.

More about apprentices in this post here.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

5) The goals of the fort are your goals. I just sit back and make it happen, and present it in as entertaining of a manner as I can!

And of course, the most important rule:

SABOTAGE!

There are traitors in the fort who are attempting to make sure that it doesn't survive, or at the very least want to cause chaos! A random number of the initial seven will be traitors, and on each migrant wave will come more. These traitors are controlled by the forumites themselves: anyone who wants to be a traitor may PM me. After I've gotten all my requests I'll use a random dice roll to determine who is chosen. At no time will anyone be aware of how many there are, who they are or what they're up to. All of them will communicate with me alone via PM. This means I'll have open slots that will fill as migrants flow in that may be filled by either an already existing dorfed character or a newcomer. So, dwarfs who were previously not traitors may become traitors overnight, driven to cruelty by the constant paranoia!

Your job as a traitor is to sabotage the fort. In addition to the commands you give me in the thread, you may also give me secret instructions to carry out via PM in an attempt to make the fortress crumble. This can be anything from constructing a secret dead-fall trap over someone's bedroom to deconstructing the entryway cage traps to having the Urists dump all of our trade goods in the magma sea. It's up to you to cause chaos! Flood the fort, release the HFS, put artifacts out in the open for the kobolds to steal! The world is your poisonous oyster!

Every year, the fort will vote on who they think is a traitor and what their punishment should be. They'll only find out, of course, once the deed is done! If you are a traitor, it may be wise to keep your secret well hidden. It's doubtful that anyone loyal to the fort will keep your secret to themselves.

For more info on how this works, please refer to my post here.

As mentioned above: for traitors, if/then statements are excellent ways to screw people over while I'm steering the game. "If X player does Y, I will do Z."

Examples: "If X player goes into a fey mood then start deconstructing craftsdwarf shops."
                "If the bridge is lowered, then deconstruct the lever that controls it."
                "If X player goes off of military duty, then sneak into his chambers and have his coffers dumped into magma."

THE WORLD & EMBARK

We embarked on a bit of aquifer hell but luckily we managed to crack through it.

The pop. cap for the fort is going to be 80 due to my computer and the fact that a lot of the Urists will be idle for much of the time. This leaves a lot of dorfs open for command still, and plenty for apprenticeships as well. I can alter the pop. cap if necessary.

I have no familiarity with .25 and the new features such as bees and pastures so prepare for chicken wars!

The First Seven:

• EmperorJon: Male Smithy
  • mipe9: Female Miner/Architect
  • EddyP: Male Swordsdwarf
  • JoshuaIX: Male Brewer/Beekeep/Wrestler
  • Valrandir: Male Bonesaw
  • Bdthemag: Male Miner/Mason/Hammersdwarf
  • Powder Miner: Powder Building Designer
  • JohnnyDigs: Miner/Stonecrafter
  • Tcei: Greymist the Tinkerer
  • USEC_OFFICER: Babalos the Architect
  • bayar: Urist McGenericdwarf
  • Chessrook44: Dorna the Explora Mechanic
  • goukaryuujin: Spera the future Sniper
  • IpunchFaces: IpunchFaces the Face Puncher
  • Blastoisedwarf: Blasty the Trainer
  • JacenHan: Jacen the Spearsdwarf
  • imperium3: Vabok McSoaper!
  • Haika: Aqua the Riverdweller
  • SirAaronIII: Aaronius the Carpenter
  • Rtiger: Engraver & Stonecrafter
  • SethCreiyd: Dr. C the Sciencedwarf
  • Rev: Farmer
  • Urist Imiknorris: As himself, the Mad Genius
  • kzel: Dyer of Many Stains
  • Gordy: Glassmaker
  • flieroflight: Farmer

To Be Dorfed:

• RathOfSTS: Butcher and Trainer
  • dhokarena56: To be announced

Just because you're paranoid
                    doesn't mean they're not after you.

- Urist McSatirist
« Last Edit: April 28, 2011, 11:04:41 am by plisskin »
Legendary Wrestler
Legendary Ambusher

Left Eye

EmperorJon

• Bay Watcher
  • Still waiting...
    • View Profile

EmperorJon shall be dorfed. That shall be his name.

He shall be male, and friendly. He shall be a metalsmith, and will train in armor and weaponsmithing, and shall make lots of nice things for the fort. He shall fight if need be. He shall come up with amusing punishments for the traitors.
I think it's the way towns develop now. In the beginning, people move into a town. Then they start producing tables, which results in more and more tables. Soon tables represent a significant portion of the population, they start lobbying for new laws and regulations, putting people to greater and greater disadvantage...
Link for full quote. 'tis mighty funny.

mipe9

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Mipe wants dorfing.

Female, miner and architect.

Question: Is one allowed apprentices for every skill with enough levels on it, or only on the highest levelled skill? EG, If I have professional mining and architecture, will I have 6 apprentices?

EddyP

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

CrazyTeddles, male - 4 swordsdwarf, 2 armour, 2 shield, 1 fighter, 1 dodger (I'd appreciate you looking for a dwarf with good attributes in strength, toughness and agility)

Ever since he was forcibly separated from his mother and kicked a goblin in the head, jamming the skull through the brain, CrazyTeddles has loved killing goblins. Some think a little too obsessed, but Teddles cares little for the opinions of such goblin sympathisers.

Joshua IX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Might you create a dorf for me?

Name: Cap'n Blunderbooze
Profession: Brewer(4)/Beekeeper(3)/Wrestler(3)

He will provide delicious honey and mead for the fort. As well as ridiculous pirate banter (if possible :p)
« Last Edit: April 06, 2011, 05:58:32 am by Joshua IX »
Whatever happens, make it ironic dwarfy magma.

Valrandir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Voxcel

Name
Doc Valrandir

Skills
- Novice Appraiser
- Novice Leader
- Novice Organizer
- Novice Diagnostician
- Competent Leatherworker
- Competent Gem setter

Other Dabbling and enabled Skills
- Dabbling Tanner
- Dabbling Gem cutter
- Dabbilng Bone Doctor
- Dabbling Surgeon
- Dabbling Suturer
- Dabbling Wound dresser
- Dabbling Miner
- Dabbling Mason

Background
Tired from doing insignificant work in the Mountain Home, Doc Valrandir left everything behind him to become someone, somewhere where he would have a meaningful place, somewhere where he would be respected.

Focus
Doc Valrandir is obsessed with cleanliness. Everything must be clean, in order, and documented.
He will be Expedition leader, broker and bookkeeper with precision set to the maximum.
He will also be helping with the initial mining and masonry efforts.
Eventually, Doc Valrandir will keep track of every dwarfs health status, treat them, make them clean.
His own fitness is important as well to him. He will sit in his own personnal squad, as squad captain and not militia commander.
Eventually he will coordinate the placement of his personnal barrack where he will passively train when nothing else needs doing.

Apprentices
Doc Valrandir is not taking any apprentices at this time, although this may change later on.
It depends on the attractiveness and availability of young soft bearded female nurses eager to learn the ways of the good doctor.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2011, 07:56:17 pm by Valrandir »

Bdthemag

• Bay Watcher
  • Die Wacht am Rhein
    • View Profile

Name: Stiric (Yes I use that name for all of my special dwarves.)
Profession: Miner, Mason, Hammerdwarf
Personality: He's drunk alot (Like most dwarves.) he is quick to anger and not that smart.
IT BEGINS
« Last Edit: April 05, 2011, 07:01:47 pm by Bdthemag »
Well, you do have a busy life, what with keeping tabs on wild, rough-and-tumble forum members while sorting out the drama between your twenty two inner lesbians.
Your drunk posts continue to baffle me.
Welcome to Reality.

Powder Miner

• Bay Watcher
  • this avatar is years irrelevant again oh god oh f-
    • View Profile

I wanna be dorfed!

Name: Powder Building Designer (Don't worry, it does fit), title Building Designer
Profession: 5 in Building Designer. When possible, I want an apprentice Urist, who shall be a Building Designer, named Water Building Designer.
Personality: Powder Building Designer has kind of a vacant personality, because he's very bookish, and when he's not otherwise busy, he's constantly drawing building designs in his spare time. When angry, he yells loudly, when nervous he stutters, and when scared he can't talk.
Embark Suggestions: Moist Broadleaf forest, 5x5. Gen a Frequent-Mineral world. I do not care about alignment of the environment.

SirAaronIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Western Romanticist
    • View Profile

Sounds like fun!
Name: Aaronius, please add a Sir at the beginning when I get to legendary in anything
Profession: 5 in carpenter, 5 in woodcrafting

Embark suggestion: A forest of some sort. No, I'm not trying to show off my skills or anything.  ::)
"I want to watch the sun setting below the horizon, thinking about my significance in this world. That's my dream."

JohnnyDigs

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Heres Johnny!

Name: Johnny Digs
Profession: Miner/Stonecrafter (doesn't have to start out highly skilled, he will get good fast)
Personality: Neat freak when it comes to stone. If he sees too much stone lying on the floor he builds a craftsdwarf shop and gets making toys, crafts, instruments, and pots. He has no problem if his goods are cluttering the floor. He doesn't like to haul ANYTHING. Hes a loner and this is all he does (unless I pop in here). He doesn't talk much and likes to use grunts and spit on the floor during conversations to get his point across. He also never lets go of his pick.
Looks: Long glorious hair.

Tcei

• Bay Watcher
  • Fear me! I am Bekat the Adorable Skull!
    • View Profile

Oooh Me!

Name: Greymist
Profession: Mechanic/Engraver
Personality: Quiet, creative. Spends alot of time drawing.
Female.
....They just refuse to stay down unless butchered, in which case their skins will haunt you until you subdue and tan them. Never has legendary butcher and legendary tanner seemed so valueable as in this release.

USEC_OFFICER

• Bay Watcher
  • Pulls the strings and makes them ring.
    • View Profile

Sounds like fun!

Dorf me:

Name: Babalos
Profession: Architect/Mason
Male.

RTiger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Sure

Make me a engraver/stonecrafter.

A dwarf that keeps to himself and his art, making items and pictures from stone worthy of song.

SethCreiyd

• Bay Watcher
  • [VESPERTINE]
    • View Profile

Please dwarf me as a migrant with Competent(+) Observer skill.

Name: Dr. C.
Profession: Scientist.
Humble Requests:  A small private office with attached observation room viewed by fortifications, and a dagger.

plisskin

• Bay Watcher
  • That's "Plissken"
    • View Profile

Question: Is one allowed apprentices for every skill with enough levels on it, or only on the highest levelled skill? EG, If I have professional mining and architecture, will I have 6 apprentices?

Thanks for asking: you'll be allowed as many as your highest skill. So, five maximum. Since it's possible to leap to Legendary due to a mood many forumites may end up with their five apprentices, so I need to keep a cap on the total. You can still grab some Urists to help with projects if needed.

Whoa didn't expect so many requests.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2011, 10:33:09 pm by plisskin »
Legendary Wrestler
Legendary Ambusher

Left Eye
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 48