Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: What is Dwarf Fortress?  (Read 3312 times)

PlainTextMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Grand Master Babbler
    • View Profile
Re: What is Dwarf Fortress?
« Reply #30 on: May 25, 2011, 12:13:49 pm »

My short answer:
Dwarf Fortress is a real-time pause-and-play strategy game that's a cross between Age of Empires and The Sims.  You manage dwarves as they build a giant underground fortress and defend it against goblin raids and dragon attacks.  It uses character graphics and is very complex.

If they want more information, I continue:
How complex?  Through their exploratory mining, my dwarves stumbled upon an underground cavern complex, wherein they discovered a fell beast forgotten since the dawn of time.  After dispatching said monster*, they dragged the corpse of the monster to their butcher's shop and butchered it.  Taking the fat to the kitchen, they rendered it into tallow. 
Then, they took some logs to the wood burner, made ashes, took the ashes to the ashery, made lye, and took the lye and the tallow to the soap maker's shop and made some bars of soap.  Finally, they used the soap to wash the blood of the beast off their hands.

*with axes they had forged from steel, which was smelted from iron ore and flux stone they mined themselves, in a forge which, for fuel, used charcoal they had made at a wood furnace from trees they had chopped themselves using earlier bronze axes, which . . . oh, forget it.

Ragnar

...Finally, they used the soap to wash the blood of the beast off their hands....
THIS :D

real time pause and play survival game, where you are the fortress "hive mind"
But yeah, this pretty eloquently sums it up.

I'd have to clumsily sum it up this way: an (incompleted) very detailed, fantasy-realism focussed, deep and difficult but fun and immensely flexible strategy/war/construction game that may have very little in the way of graphics, but nonetheless gets disturbingly gory, even more than most FPS games with lots of gore.

How flexible? Gosh... (long list of examples edited) you can build a decimal calculator out of mechanisms inside the mountain if you persist long enough.
How difficult? You will lose and have fun doing it. Or give up, likely because of the FPS.
How fantasy? You get monsters composed out of dust that have a shell and wings.
How gory? You will start to believe blood=fun. This is a truth in the game's context, but you should take care not to get locked up in a mental institution if you play the game too much.

But usually it just helps you show them. And the number one way of blowing anyones mind GUARENTEED is to scroll around the fort and demonstrate the Z-level. The Z-level alone confuses and astounds all minds initially, for some odd reason.
Quote from: Loud Whispers link=topic=95349.0
5. You haz rage and you must punch things, but you haz no arms. Pray to ARMOK - Dwarf Mantra
This is an exceptional Post, well crafted with paragraphs and encrusted with attempted punctuation, bad non-native-English-speaker glitches. May exhibit great insight and/or stupidity.
Quote from: Aramco link=topic=81421.msg2149268#msg2149268
I hate English. It may be my first language, but I hate it. It doesn't make any sense.

jmancube

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 25, 2011, 02:52:38 pm »

I usually tell them it's complicated to explain. Instead, I show the game to them, I refer them to the epic stories, or bronzemurdered if they aren't too keen on reading too much of Dwarf fort before they get the gist of what it is. Those things usually interest them enough to try out the game till they hit the learning cliff.

Oliolli

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:unlikeability]
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 25, 2011, 11:47:16 pm »

You mean boatmurdered, right?

Quote from: Girlinhat
When all you've got is an adjustable spanner and an entire freight warehouse of terrifying cogs and gears, everything looks like "just a prototype".
Quote from: ThatAussieGuy
You all turned Swordthunders into a bastion of madness that seems to warp in on itself under its own hatred of sanity.  I'm so happy!
Quote from: Loud Whispers
drowning babies everywhere o-o

The Merchant Of Menace

• Bay Watcher
  • Work work.
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 26, 2011, 01:53:52 am »

You mean boatmurdered, right?
No. He means Bronzemurdered.
*Hugs*

kaenneth

• Bay Watcher
  • Catching fish
    • View Profile
    • Terrible Web Site
« Reply #34 on: May 26, 2011, 01:55:59 am »

I summed it up to my brother as "a mix of simcity and nethack, where I'm currently dropping kittens off this 15 story iron tower unto this floor patterned like a target, where my military recruits are training in order to desensitize them to death. It's even got a reasonable physics model, see how the kittens skull bounced up onto a higher level?"
Quote from: Karnewarrior
Jeeze. Any time I want to be sigged I may as well just post in this thread.
Quote from: Darvi
That is an application of trigonometry that never occurred to me.
Quote from: PTTG??
I'm getting cake.
Don't tell anyone that you can see their shadows. If they hear you telling anyone, if you let them know that you know of them, they will get you.

MasterMorality

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 26, 2011, 05:25:02 am »

A game which takes 'The Developer Has Thought Of Everything' to a whole new level.

Oliolli

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:unlikeability]
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 26, 2011, 06:47:34 am »

Ah, I see. Sorry.

Quote from: Girlinhat
When all you've got is an adjustable spanner and an entire freight warehouse of terrifying cogs and gears, everything looks like "just a prototype".
Quote from: ThatAussieGuy
You all turned Swordthunders into a bastion of madness that seems to warp in on itself under its own hatred of sanity.  I'm so happy!
Quote from: Loud Whispers
drowning babies everywhere o-o

Eater of Vermin

• Bay Watcher
  • [VERMIN_EATER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 26, 2011, 08:30:53 am »

I just grin and tell them to google BoatMurdered.

Then run away yelling "Where is the lever?  I must have MAGMA!  And cat bones!"

Surprisingly, a few of my friends have started playing.

I need to meet a better class of people.   :o
Dances with Kobolds

(Mamba in the Magma...  one, two, char-char-char!)

Ultimuh

• Bay Watcher
  • BOOM! Avatar gone! (for now)
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 26, 2011, 12:05:19 pm »

I just grin and tell them to google BoatMurdered.

Then run away yelling "Where is the lever?  I must have MAGMA!  And cat bones!"

Surprisingly, a few of my friends have started playing.

I need to meet a better class of people.   :o

Wait.. they are playing DF and you say they are not good enough for you?  ???
Or are you talking about everyone else you know?
Pages: 1 2 [3]